• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2k14 |OT| 30 Years of Wrestlemania, 10 Years of Here Comes The Pain

HT UK

So what's the feeling about Yukes staying on to do the game next year?

I like the ideas of some of these modes, i might pick it up.

I think it'll take at least one more Yukes game before 2K completely take over. Or they could just let Yukes make them foooreeevveerrr :(

It's fine if they trim the fat off wrestlers and make them a little more defined but the amount of bulking up they do is really stupid.

Hogan hasn't been that big in decades (even in Hollywood era) and Trips was never that big ever.

Oh so the physics is the reason the wrestlers now look horrible even compared to their PS2 counterparts. That explains everything but doesn't make it any less disappointing. WWE All-stars is still the best recent wrestling game. That counter system is perfect and it's a crime that it isn't in every main WWE game because it's waaaay more challenging and realistic than the counterfest bullshit in the main games. Also the graphics and impact/sound of moves blow Yukes out of the water. Such a tragedy that the engine with so much potential is seemingly dead after TNA and All-stars.

Downhome

The more I see of this game the more it looks incredibly horrible to me. I have bought every single major wrestling game since the NES and this may be the one to break my streak. It looks, graphically, like one of the worst ever. My God.

When reviews hit for this one I fully anticipate scores in the 5-6 range.

Every time one of these games comes out, it's missing a mode that either a previous version had, or some big game changer they promised ends up being really basic and neutered. I haven't played a WWE game since Smackdown vs Raw 2011 (with its AWESOME Edge and Christian championship storyline). That game kind of sucked because it was so easy; you could take a guy down and pin him in minutes, even on this highest difficulty. Does this game have a big heart breaker, or a big missing element?

Ryce

When reviews hit for this one I fully anticipate scores in the 5-6 range.
Not quite that low. Most reviews are in the 8 range. GameSpot gave it a 6, but it was reviewed by an admitted non-wrestling fan.

Destructoid - 9
IGN - 8.7
Giant Bomb - 4/5
Polygon - 8
Game Informer - 8
GameSpot - 6

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What a terrible trade-off. Their physics system is terrible.

Not quite that low. Most reviews are in the 8 range. GameSpot gave it a 6, but it was reviewed by an admitted non-wrestling fan.

Destructoid - 9
IGN - 8.7
Giant Bomb - 4/5
Polygon - 8
Game Informer - 8
GameSpot - 6

I'll actually only believe any review by a NON-wrestling fan. WAY too much bias involved otherwise. These games keep getting great reviews and absolutely suck.

hlhbk

At this point even with the bad graphics I am excited to play this for the story mode. Last year's was awesome, and this year looks even better.

The best game in the franchise was Shut Your Mouth - perfect roster, best season/story mode AND the AI was the most responsive (when doing AI vs AI matches they would make one logical move after another and tell a story just like a real match!).

It's a shame that the graphics have gone downhill over the years though, i know in every game since the original Smackdown the wrestlers were not perfect and from Smackdown 2 - onwards they might have 2-4 wrestlers "perfect" but the rest were half arsed efforts.

Kind of annoying seeing the majority have a perfect head, but the rest of the body not in proportion.

Nuklear

Banned

Destructoid - 9
IGN - 8.7
Giant Bomb - 4/5
Polygon - 8
Game Informer - 8
GameSpot - 6

These reviewers forget what an actually good wrestling game is. We've been in the dark ages for three generations now sadly. =(

KissVibes

Banned

The only way Yukes would've been dropped is if EA would've picked up the IP and given it to their MMA (Now UFC) studio. IIRC, EA picked up a lot of the folks that worked on WWE All Stars (WHICH IS A GREAT FUCKING GAME) when THQ shit the bed.

2K will keep shitting out Yuke WWE games and the clown-ass producers on the project will keep telling you about how they're true fans and want to get it right this year...every. single. year.

Jamie OD

We just have to wait and see. Popular opinion is 2K will dump them and start from scratch but for all we know they could be happy just having Yukes continue making these games again and again.

Hoarr

Neo Member
I see that I can download this on my PS3, but what about the 360? It's not available yet on LIVE -- does the shop update later on today or if it's not up by now, it's not coming...

Fox Mulder

The only way Yukes would've been dropped is if EA would've picked up the IP and given it to their MMA (Now UFC) studio. IIRC, EA picked up a lot of the folks that worked on WWE All Stars (WHICH IS A GREAT FUCKING GAME) when THQ shit the bed.

2K will keep shitting out Yuke WWE games and the clown-ass producers on the project will keep telling you about how they're true fans and want to get it right this year...every. single. year.

2k kept shitting out awful mlb games that were a joke compared to Sony's game, and was the only option for 360 owners.

they could easily do the same here.

Camisado

They keep making this game because people keep buying it! :/

The best chance people have of getting the license taken away from Yukes is to simply... stop. Vote with your wallet etc.

It won't happen though.

Kaladin

Next year the replacement for beat the streak mode should be beat Cena clean mode.

Never Give Up Mode

Play as Cena and face a never-ending gauntlet of opponents trying to take your title.

Will Cena send the fans home happy?

Also, attempt to play the evil villain trying to foil Cena's record breaking title reign against the all new Superman AI available only in this mode.

LevityNYC

Banned
Superman Cena mode where Cena kicks out of every single finisher in the game.

You then thrown him off the roof of the Arena and he lands in a spike pick and still kicks out at 2.

Also.

Never forget.

tumblr_m9jy0kBwnU1qzl7f5o1_1280.png

Rapstah

Booker T isn't in this year. Christian would probably work as a comparison though, he was in Impact! and is in this year's game, although because it's Christian it's not like they felt the need to update his model for this year or last year.

Booker T isn't in this year. Christian would probably work as a comparison though, he was in Impact! and is in this year's game, although because it's Christian it's not like they felt the need to update his model for this year or last year.

Soon-to-be-DLC Scott Steiner was in Impact, too

First impressions--2K14 plays a lot better than last year. The A.I. is challenging, goes for finishers, alternates grapple move timing, etc. I nearly lost a "Quick" match to Heath Slater as The Rock. It was awesome and hilarious.

I was someone who couldn't get over the lack of nearfalls in '13, so having those last second kickouts really makes a world of difference.

It's no revolution but it can hold me over to nextgen 2K15.

I haven't trusted an IGN wrestling game review since they gave WWF RAW for Xbox a 9+ rating.

That game was damn near unplayable.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I was playing Ambrose vs Sin Cara and someone in the audience yelled

'GET HIM A BODY BAG!!!!'

You then thrown him off the roof of the Arena and he lands in a spike pick and still kicks out at 2.

Also.

Never forget.

Wait til you do Beat The Streak and Undertaker kicks out a tombstone, and 2 jackknifes.

I see that I can download this on my PS3, but what about the 360? It's not available yet on LIVE -- does the shop update later on today or if it's not up by now, it's not coming...

MS usually doesn't do day 1 digital except for key releases. Even GTAV was about 3 weeks later on XBL digital.

I haven't followed development much and it's probably too early for this, but if anyone knows the answers to the following... thanks in advance.

Can your created characters from your WWE 13 file be imported to WWE 14?

Are the load times improved at all from WWE 13?

Are save files locked in WWE 14?

While the gameplay wasn't that great, I had fun having sim matches with WWE 13. I put a lot of time in to some of my created characters and the fact that the saves were locked really turned me off. I don't want to be a system failure away from losing all the time I put in, and the save files were too big for PSN+. I might pick it up on a Black Friday deal if at least the first and third questions are a yes. If not, I'll wait for 2K to hopefully have someone else develop (which may be never).

dubq

Dat PS3 audio delay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=904vKXBhqww

Can your created characters from your WWE 13 file be imported to WWE 14?

Are the load times improved at all from WWE 13?

Are save files locked in WWE 14?

No, Yes, and Yes. Though with the save files, they are now only about 7MB in size (last year it ballooned to several GIGS once you started making created wrestlers) so you can back them up to the Cloud, at least, now.

It's really easy to beat him once you figure out how to circumvent his bullshit (the lights going out when he's in yellow damage, finisher from the ground when he's in orange, no sell when he's red). Immediately go outside the ring on the left side and get the sledgehammer from under the ring. It's always there. Just do running strikes on him outside the ring. If he reverses it, you can just grapple him and take the sledgehammer back. When he's down, hit him in the head with the sledgehammer one time. Just alternate between one running strike and one grounded strike. When you get your signature and finishers, do them on him once outside of the ring. NEVER pick him up off the ground, or he will hit you with the chokeslam or Hell's Gate. Let him just get up on his own for signatures or use the taunt getup for finishers. Once you've hit him with a second signature outside the ring, pick the sledgehammer back up and run into the ring. When he gets into the ring, immediately hit him with a running strike to put him down. Wakeup taunt. Finisher. Win.

I've done it with Diesel, Kane, Batista, and Michaels without getting hit once. This way works great because you're using offense that can't be reversed into damage, doesn't give him time to initiate offense, keeps him grounded, and is so damaging it bypasses all his gimmicks.

Nice, I will try this with Diesel so I can unlock that classic Undertaker version. I ended up beating him with Kane, but the key is definitely to keep him outside the ring until he's in red.

Kaladin

It amazes me that this game can still get 4/5 and 8.7/10 with all of the glitches still in the game from previous years......and the new glitches that pop up every year.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It amazes me that this game can still get 4/5 and 8.7/10 with all of the glitches still in the game from previous years......and the new glitches that pop up every year.

Glitchy games getting 9's is amazing to you? Because that doesn't sound exclusive to wrestling games to me.

Hoarr

Neo Member

Also.

Never forget.

tumblr_m9jy0kBwnU1qzl7f5o1_1280.png

I love how my dumb Booker T photo always comes into play on GAF. Always makes me laugh at how bad he looks in that last one.

Here are some of my thoughts I posted on my facebook:

WWE 2K14 New Universe Week 1, Part 1

Raw:
R-Truth defeated Zack Ryder

Layla defeated AJ Lee

Rivalry Match - Kofi Kingston defeated Santino Marella (Kofi in rivalry with Dean Ambrose over the US Title) Dean Ambrose came out to ringside and caused a distraction during the match.

Rivalry Match - Dolph Ziggler defeated John Cena via submission - Falls Count Anywhere (Cena and Ziggler in a 12-week rivalry over the WWE Title)

Rivalry Match - Rey Mysterio defeated Brock Lesnar via pinfall (4 week rivalry)

I decided to simulate the non-rivalry matches as apparently they have no important, at least to me. I REALLY like this new rivalry system, as it creates purpose to each title as rivalries can be kept perpetually around the title to keep out the riff raff. From what I understand is that rivalries will happen on their own and histories are even kept for them. If a weird rivalry appears that makes no sense, I can simply make a new one that does. Great system.

The rankings for each title can be edited now. I moved Swagger from high on the WWE Title scene to the low end. I made him higher than Rey on the US Title scene. Very impressive. The customization options are walled off from the rest of the WWE Universe mode, so it makes a lot more design sense.

OMG, they have the "Let's go Cena, Cena sucks" chant. Perfection.

Ziggler got attitude adjusted on the outside. Kicked out at 2 and 3/4.

Jesus Christ! Ziggler just DDT'd Cena on the apron. That's new.

I'm excited to see where this rivalry goes over 3 months and 3 PPVs.

Ziggler wins. Made Cena tap out. Now that is some rub.

Just got an update from the WWE.COM section saying Ambrose is playing mind games with Kingston, throwing off his strategy. This is awesome.

OH shit, each rivalry has a history of their matches, date and type of event. Also, keeps track of who won that match and how......WOW! This is God Tier.

Rey gets out of the Lesnar submission, gets several near falls. 619, Rey Mysterio defeats Brock Lesnar......Brock is gonna be pissed....

I simmed through Superstars which had 1 odd Swagger vs. Punk match. Once starting Smackdown rivalries were created...

Del Rio vs. Mark Henry over the World Title (12 weeks)
Wade Barrett vs. Antonio Cesaro over IC Title (12 weeks)
Drew McIntyre vs. Darren Young (8 weeks)

I think the Drew vs. Darren rivalry stemmed from the Main Event of Superstars this week. Neat!

I went and edited Superstars from a 5 match card to a 3 match card. Makes more sense.

Cards can be edited from 5-7 matches, I think. Minor shows 3-7. PPVs are fixed (unless one is customized or created, but I haven't tried that so I don't know if true or not).

BTW, gone is the shitty hardcore music (or at least exclusively). I was just listening to an epic operatic while browsing the menu.

Top Bottom