• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2k14 |OT| 30 Years of Wrestlemania, 10 Years of Here Comes The Pain

Rapstah

Just beat Wrestlemania mode. The matches earlier on through the attitude era were all really nice and I had some pretty big nostalgia, but they really didn't give enough time to those eras and instead spent too much time on the more current stuff.

-edit- WTF do they not have Paul Bearer with the black hair and makeup?

Paul Bearer was blonde in '13 too, even though his character selection screen picture was clearly black hair Bearer and the vast majority of his Attitude Era mode appearances would have been where he had black hair.

HOLLYWOOD ROCK GETS TO THE RING BEFORE HIS MUSIC EVEN KICKS IN.

SimmonsDAMN.gif

LOL WAT?

I need to see a vid.

Kaladin

With everything that's been posted over the last few days and actually watching the game on a live stream not run by 2k, I'm glad I went with Arkham Origins instead.

You can specifically change the reversal settings without changing the difficulty.
Options > Gameplay > Match Options (take some time to explore all the settings here) > Balancing > A.I. Reversals

Interesting, I will have to check this out. I never knew you could do this.

With everything that's been posted over the last few days and actually watching the game on a live stream not run by 2k, I'm glad I went with Arkham Origins instead.

It's still the same ole shitty game so you made the right move. I'd say it might be worth a rental to play Wrestlemania mode though. Getting through the later parts of Wrestlemania was kind of hard though. It seems like they felt the need to put more current matches in there to make it seem like WWE is still as good as it used to be. Still it's like covering a piece of shit with chocolate. It's still a piece of shit underneath the chocolate. As long as Yukes is making this I'd say these games will never be worth a purchase again.

Ok fuck this defeat the streak undertaker mode. Some of the cheapest ai ever and I fucking finally wear his ass down outside the ring and am able to get back in the ring with him and hit a finisher and pin him thinking I finally won only for the lights to go out and his ass to pop up behind me in the ring with a finisher stored. Needless to say I lost.

Kaladin

Ok fuck this defeat the streak undertaker mode. Some of the cheapest ai ever and I fucking finally wear his ass down outside the ring and am able to get back in the ring with him and hit a finisher and pin him thinking I finally won only for the lights to go out and his ass to pop up behind me in the ring with a finisher stored. Needless to say I lost.

I actually want to play this game for that....I felt the lack of challenge in recent versions was what killed my desire to play.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

:lol

God damn, I've not had one of these Yukes WWE games for years, I am sitting here in shock. They haven't TOUCHED the engine for these games have they! What a disgrace, who the hell is paying full price for these games year after year. I remember the first PS2 WWE Smackdown (JBI it must have been) and how lacking that was, I've been dubious of Yukes ever since. They did improve in the mid 2000's but they've done nothing to drive this franchise forward during this entire generation. They should be ashamed of themselves, seriously.

evil ways

These games are catered towards the lowest common denominator of fans. The ones that care more about updated roster, entrance music and "new moves"instead of gameplay.

I read a chat transcrip with one of the guys involved in the game and most of the questions were "does Punk have his hitman tribute attire?" " can we use the urn as a weapon?" "Does aj have her new shirt!?", it was borderline retarded.

Rapstah

I feared that their "improved AI" for the Undertaker in that mode was going to be basically doubling his counter rate and giving him more hit points and finishers and it sure sounds like it. Dissapointing, but they need to change their entire move and AI system so that every character can't do basically everything anyway.

Jerry Lawler said this has the best graphics of any game ever released. I actually cancelled my next gen console preorders on his recommendation.

I really don't understand how these games have not evolved in such a blatant way since I was in my early teens. I'm in my late 20's now. Why has there not been a decent major challenger to this tired, awful engine and style of game?

Foffy

Banned
I really don't understand how these games have not evolved in such a blatant way since I was in my early teens. I'm in my late 20's now. Why has there not been a decent major challenger to this tired, awful engine and style of game?

The only competitor to it has been the Fire Pro Wrestling series. That essentially died out with Fire Pro Wrestling Returns..a game that is eight years old. It's also 2D. There are save packs to update the game to feature the roster of the WWE as of March, if I recall correctly. There's really no 'new' wrestling game.

There has been no competitor for wrestling games this generation outside of Yukes. There was that TNA game, and that sunk. The other notable wrestling game this generation was Wrestle Kingdom..also made by Yukes. ):

Rapstah

It's not really that people can't make good wrestling games, it's that WWE is so dominant and only wants to make one game every year. Not counting that Cena racing game which looks like the best game ever.

evil ways is right that a huge problem is the fanbase. If THQ had decided to use the Impact/All-Stars engine for the series going forward at the expense of a lot of features from the Yuke's games, the majority of fans would have a meltdown.

Ever since they included Universe mode, I've become part of the problem though, they can throw in a couple new features every year to make it more realistic and I'll lap it up.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

same reason there hasn't been a decent challenger to Madden

WWE is the only wrestling most people* care about, so you need the WWE name to sell, so there isn't any competition.

*people who have a casual interest in wrestling, aka the mass market

Malajax

That actually sounds pretty awesome. It's cheap, but I'm willing to admit that I'd mark out if something like that actually happened.

That actually sounds pretty awesome. It's cheap, but I'm willing to admit that I'd mark out if something like that actually happened.

Yeah I was pissed, but the same time the look on Undertaker's face when he was behind me when the lights came back on was hilarious. I went back and beat him and he didn't do that the next time so I'm wondering if it has something to do with how many finishers you have given him? I gave him like 3 on the outside and then 1 inside the ring the next match and he didn't do it. Hoping next year is a major improvement on next gen.

Hasney

Was playing this on an in-store PS3 and it was hilarious. Had about 3 matches.

1. The bodyslam challenge between Andre and Big John Studd is hilarious. Both guys reversals just throw each other around like they weigh nothing, so you get 10 minutes of that and then LOL BODYSLAM. OOOO THE POWER. IGNORE THE FLAPJACK HE HIT EARLIER
  2. There's a bug that occurs if you're against the AI and you get rolled into the ring so your neck is under the bottom rope. If the AI goes for a grapple and you hit the reversal, the AI will just stand in the same spot and go for grapples indefinatley until they're counted out
  3. It is the exact same game as last year. Didn't notice a single thing different in the match engine and I'm not talking "LOL MADDEN NEVER UPDATES", I'm talking there isn't a single thing in the gameplay that feels different at all. This includes the same old physics bugs. Had Austins legs contort all over the place after back body dropping him onto the steps.

Hasney

It's amazing how great SvR 2007 looked graphically, and how far worse these games look. What happened? Did the budget get cut to that great of an extent?

They cut down on the graphics to put in the physics engine from 2011 onwards. I supported that move entirely until I played it and realised that they done sweet FA with it. It was pretty fun delivering finishers onto steps for a little bit, then once that wore off, it was the same old shit but less pretty than it used to be.

Rapstah

They cut down on the graphics to put in the physics engine from 2011 onwards. I supported that move entirely until I played it and realised that they done sweet FA with it. It was pretty fun delivering finishers onto steps for a little bit, then once that wore off, it was the same old shit but less pretty than it used to be.

What a terrible trade-off. Their physics system is terrible.

It's really easy to beat him once you figure out how to circumvent his bullshit (the lights going out when he's in yellow damage, finisher from the ground when he's in orange, no sell when he's red). Immediately go outside the ring on the left side and get the sledgehammer from under the ring. It's always there. Just do running strikes on him outside the ring. If he reverses it, you can just grapple him and take the sledgehammer back. When he's down, hit him in the head with the sledgehammer one time. Just alternate between one running strike and one grounded strike. When you get your signature and finishers, do them on him once outside of the ring. NEVER pick him up off the ground, or he will hit you with the chokeslam or Hell's Gate. Let him just get up on his own for signatures or use the taunt getup for finishers. Once you've hit him with a second signature outside the ring, pick the sledgehammer back up and run into the ring. When he gets into the ring, immediately hit him with a running strike to put him down. Wakeup taunt. Finisher. Win.

I've done it with Diesel, Kane, Batista, and Michaels without getting hit once. This way works great because you're using offense that can't be reversed into damage, doesn't give him time to initiate offense, keeps him grounded, and is so damaging it bypasses all his gimmicks.

HT UK

Well, are they gonna patch it?

The patch will be available next November called 'WWE 2K15'.

Remember, this is the same devs that released a wrestling game last year that had no 2 counts (WWE '13), and never patched it.

rvy

Banned
The patch will be available next November called 'WWE 2K15'.

Remember, this is the same devs that released a wrestling game last year that had no 2 counts (WWE '13), and never patched it.

Oh, FFS. I want to play this garbage for heel Rocky ad Razor. Fucking Yuke's.
Can you fix that entrance through the creator mode?

Top Bottom