• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Backlash 2017 |OT| This PPV Brought To You By India

As someone who watches other wrestling but not a lot of WWE, why was Luke Harper vs Eric Rowan the semi-main event over something like Styles vs Owens?

He didn't even defend it in the House of Horrors.
Oh yeah he really didn't. What a wonderful payoff to that almost year long Wyatt storyline

Jinder being champ is at least funny. I hope he hold until Summerslam

As someone who watches other wrestling but not a lot of WWE, why was Luke Harper vs Eric Rowan the semi-main event over something like Styles vs Owens?
It was a buffer match between things people "cared" about.

geomon

Lets go Jinder!!

deXWz.gif

Gurrry

It was basically a filler match for time, not a main event. I dont even know if they advertised that match leading up to the ppv.

Demoskinos

I'd just like to throw out there that Chris Jericho had Jinder on his podcast this week. Its a good show and Jinder goes a lot into his return.

Harper/Rowan was intended to be a cool down for the crowd so they're at full energy and intensity for the main event.

The crowd were very loud for Styles/Owens, so in their minds if they did that match before the main event, the main event would suffer because the crowd would be exhausted. With Harper/Rowan, it doesn't matter if people don't care about it because its a match with minimal investment.

Demoskinos

Juicy J revealed that Vince is personally writing all his promos.

Yeah, I had a good notion that he was winning tonight if Vince is writing his promos himself. Vinny Mac doesn't get hands on like that unless he has a very particular interest in someone.

Gurrry

Why would a filler match be the second to last match on the show? They wanted to kill the crowd before the main event?

Think of it as a buffer between one hot match and another. They just had KO vs AJ (good match between two of the biggest stars) and going right into the Jinder/Orton match couldve led to a tired crowd.

Think of it as a buffer between one hot match and another. They just had KO vs AJ (good match between two of the biggest stars) and going right into the Jinder/Orton match couldve led to a tired crowd.

Its honestly such a dumb and outdated concept. WWE is one of the only promotions out there that still does a buffer before the main event. Most promotions put their top 2-3 matches consecutively and the crowd usually stays hot at a consistent level.

Sheroking

That theory is BS and has been proven wrong over and over again. Hell, even Triple H doesn't buy into that given the layout of Takeover shows.

Vince believes that, but it's just not true.

It's true on 4+ hour mania shows, where title matches have had to follow emotional heavy-hitting matches like Rock-Hogan or any Taker match between WM24 and WM30.

On 3 hour Backlash cards? Might as well keep the heat going.

Ithil

Orton is probably the worst "mass title reigns" guy ever. He's had 30 World title reigns and no one could tell you a thing about any one of them. I at least remember one or two of HHH or Cena's million reigns.

Velcro Fly

WWE title has had it rough in 2017

Cena wins it at RR from AJ for the sake of the number

Bray wins at Elimination Chamber

Randy wins it at Mania in a positively dreadful match

Randy defends it in another ridiculous match

Jinder wins it at Backlash

RAW not much better with KO dropping to Goldberg who dropped it to Brock who hasn't been seen since.

Sheroking

Get ready for Jinder vs Big Show as the next program

Yeah... about that.

Jinder is almost certainly going to job that title back to Randy in a month. They wanted the press clippings in India, and to have someone with a name for international tours and merchandising.

They don't care about making a real star here.

It's true on 4+ hour mania shows, where title matches have had to follow emotional heavy-hitting matches like Rock-Hogan or any Taker match between WM24 and WM30.

It's really not even on long shows if the show and matches are good enough. I watched WK this year and watched Tanahashi/Naito and Okada/Omega go back to back and not lose the crowd for a second after a near 5 hour show.

Fox318

Yeah... about that.

Jinder is almost certainly going to job that title back to Randy in a month. They wanted the press clippings in India, and to have someone with a name for international tours and merchandising.

They don't care about making a real star here.
Jinder was working show in house matches.

They will most likely give him a program and win with Show.

I will say Jinder is a better champ than Bray.

Bray could disappear from wrestling and nobody would miss him. He's the new Cody Rhodes of the WWE.

Bray could disappear from wrestling and nobody would miss him. He's the new Cody Rhodes of the WWE.

Big Show is on Raw.

Fox318

Notice who was in The main event of X8 and 24.

People leave the arena early when HHH main events

Big Show is on Raw

This reminds me of the time they gave ADR the Title in the middle of the extraordinarily hot CM Punk-John Cena feud because they were going on tour in Mexico except this time there was no hot feud and the guy they gave it to is significantly worse than ADR somehow

mreddie

This reminds me of the time they gave ADR the Title in the middle of the extraordinarily hot CM Punk-John Cena feud because they were going on tour in Mexico except this time there was no hot feud and the guy they gave it to is significantly worse than ADR somehow

Summer of Punk too.

Fucking idiots. Wasn't this around Sin Cara time too?

Sheroking

I enjoy Bray quite a bit. I doubt Jinder Mahal will get the standing ovation and "you deserve it" chants from the live audience like Bray did. I'm not going to argue with your opinion of him, though. I don't really care how you feel about Bray Wyatt.

Jinder could honestly wind up getting the Christian treatment here, and it should surprise nobody.

Notice who was in The main event of X8 and 24.

People leave the arena early when HHH main events

Your views are not consistent with reality.

Kudos to Randy for having a truly heinous title reign. Won it from Bray in a shitty match with maggot pictures, defended in a House of Horrors joke, then lost it to some jobber.

all of those things are related to bray's character, not randy's lol. bray's only good match in his life is vs. danielson

Heroman

Banned

Jinder was gone for two years and no one noticed

Ithil

all of those things are related to bray's character, not randy's lol. bray's only good match in his life is vs. danielson

Randy has always been a terrible world champion. They padded his record with 100 title reigns to disguise the fact that he's a massive underachiever.

HeavenlyE

Jinder was gone for two years and no one noticed
Some people leave WWE to make a name for themselves, Jinder left (or was future endeavored I don't even know) and became even more irrelevant then came back and won the WWE championship while Drew who is more talented in every way possible is working his way up the NXT ladder, gotta love the WWE

Some people leave WWE to make a name for themselves, Jinder left (or was future endeavored I don't even know) and became even more irrelevant then came back and won the WWE championship while Drew who is more talented in every way possible is working his way up the NXT ladder, gotta love the WWE
To be fair when they hired Jinder it was during the time when they were just signing a bunch of ex-WWE guys to pad the roster after they realised they didn't have enough people for the brand split. I don't think they signed him with this intention, it's just a matter of right place, right time

Drew is going to NXT because he's got serious long term potential

Top Bottom