• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Backlash 2017 |OT| This PPV Brought To You By India

It's that time of the month again. Yes, another WWE PPV. And this one even had an NXT show attached to it (which you should all watch and will undoubtedly be more well-remembered than this show). This time we get to see if India's favorite jobber-turned-main-eventer Jinder "All-Natural" Mahal can take the WWE Title away from Randy "Dive" Orton. Can't wait. Watch it on the WWE Network. Anyways, the card:

20170428_1920x1080_BL_OrtonJinder--ae98daa6421b1e77ea8645dea9878f0d.jpg

WWE Championship Match: Jinder Mahal vs. Randy Orton

Prior to his win in last month's #1 Contender's match, Jinder Mahal's last televised win was in September. Needless to say, I fully expect him to win the title. Gotta get those Indian fans somehow.

20170502_1920x1080_BL_StylesKO--ec79f9b4e4252ba10e596103aca6faf0.jpg

United States Title Match: AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens

After removing Chris Jericho from the roster, "Mr. USA" Kevin Owens now faces the consensus best wrestler in WWE, AJ Styles. Sadly, Owens has mainly just been turned into a "foreigner who hates America", so it's really taken the steam out. These two should have a great match regardless.

20170509_1920x1080_BL_NakamuraZiggler--efc1304eb5c356888a5cea5ee2318bad.jpg

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Dolph Ziggler

After a month of coming out to his music and standing around, Shinsuke Nakamura will finally make his in-ring main roster debut tonight. And after years of complaining on TV about how nobody in the back respects him, Dolph will continue to justify that opinion.

20170509_1920x1080_BL_womens--37f163b26ac3162788f964752d40587d.jpg

Charlotte Flair, Becky Lynch, and Naomi vs. Carmella, Natalya, and Tamina (The Welcoming Committee)

Charlotte is a babyface after being attacked by the other three ladies. But she also still kind of acts like a heel. Carmella has pinned Naomi twice in recent weeks. Tamina is just kind of there. This feud is all over the place and the match will probably reflect that.

20170428_1920x1080_BL_UsoBreezango--c6086e1eb766b0508bd44e0fb8e162a3.jpg

Smackdown Tag Title Match: Breezango vs. The Usos

Breezango (aka The Fashion Police) have been hot on the case of The Usos in recent weeks, as they have given us a window into their investigation. It is by far the most riveting investigation of 2017. The Usos are just angry all the time. Tonight, someone's day one will be H.

20170509_1920x1080_BL_ZaynCorbin--a90bc9dcd9038c1fc9a708a744bdf274.jpg

Sami Zayn vs. Baron Corbin

Sami was pinned in two straight #1 Contender's matches to get here. Including being pinned by Jinder Mahal. Corbin hates Sami for an as of yet undisclosed reason. Maybe he just hates dives.

20170516_1920x1080_BL_LukeErick--eaf28d85ff3fd2521d259a0a68579937.jpg

Luke Harper vs. Erick Rowan

It took six months, but we finally figured out why Rowan doesn't like Luke Harper anymore. He was abandoned as a child and Harper abandoned him as an adult. And that revelation came on a Network-exclusive show that barely anyone watches. So this match should be real hot.

Also on the pre-show is Tye Dillinger vs. Aiden English, in which people chant 10 and continue to not know why.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm curious to see Becky turn heel just to see the GAF smarks that have hated her for months all the sudden love everything about her. I didn't think she was that great a heel in NXT, some wrestlers are just destined to babyface and thats okay. I really don't care about any of these matches other than minor curiosity. AJ KO will be great but who cares who wins. Nak and Dolph should have an entertaining match,but Nak is going over. Sami is losing, creative has no idea what to do with Rowan and Harper so they both lose and Orton is arguably the most boring champ in recent memory, so losing to Jinder is the most interesting thing he could possibly do.

Syder

I'm curious to see Becky turn heel just to see the GAF smarks that have hated her for months all the sudden love everything about her. I didn't think she was that great a heel in NXT, some wrestlers are just destined to babyface and thats okay. I really don't care about any of these matches other than minor curiosity. AJ KO will be great but who cares who wins. Nak and Dolph should have an entertaining match,but Nak is going over. Sami is losing, creative has no idea what to do with Rowan and Harper so they both lose and Orton is arguably the most boring champ in recent memory, so losing to Jinder is the most interesting thing he could possibly do.
Who the hell hates Becky?

Becky's one of the few natural and likable babyfaces they have who's good on the mic to sell a babyface promo. Turning her would be a bad decision.

Also it's funny that WWE intentionally try to book Sami and Bayley like another Daniel Bryan since that's how they think an underdog happens and then there's Becky with her unintentionally often terrible booking who's over like Bryan and they just seem hesitant to properly push her.

Charlotte needs to turn. And it needs to be like how Ric turned on Sting at Halloween Havoc 1995.

Havoc08.gif

Nobody hates Becky. She is one of he very few pure babyfaces on the main roster who is able to get over as a babyface. There is zero reason to turn her.

No I meant Becky, though the smarks hate Bayley too. They would have hated Steamboat and the RnR Express back in the day. They can't all be heels, and some people suck at it.

Bayley has just had turd-level booking on the main roster, and it's the booking that gets people frustrated. No one was booing Johnny Wrestling last night because DIY has been well booked.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Becky's one of the few natural and likable babyfaces they have who's good on the mic to sell a babyface promo. Turning her would be a bad decision.

Also it's funny that WWE intentionally try to book Sami and Bayley like another Daniel Bryan since that's how they think an underdog happens and then there's Becky with her unintentionally often terrible booking who's over like Bryan and they just seem hesitant to properly push her.

Charlotte needs to turn. And it needs to be like how Ric turned on Sting at Halloween Havoc 1995.

Havoc08.gif

Sting's been swerved by Flair like 1000 times, and he falls for it each time. So maybe what Bayley needs is facepaint. She already has the tassle jacket.

Syder

No I meant Becky, though the smarks hate Bayley too. They would have hated Steamboat and the RnR Express back in the day. They can't all be heels, and some people suck at it.
Bayley has been completely botched since her debut though.

what the fuck is Mahal doing main eventing?!

wwf wants to make money in india and mahal is their (canadian) guy for the job, even though four weeks ago he was a megajobber.

basically wwf's usual contempt for their viewers as they think him winning two matches in a year or whatever doesn't matter.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bayley has been completely botched since her debut though.

I.....I can't argue that at all. I mean they had the template on how to do it, and still amazingly fucked it up. I think Vince and Kevin Dunn can't get past that she's not a typical "hot chick".

I.....I can't argue that at all. I mean they had the template on how to do it, and still amazingly fucked it up. I think Vince and Kevin Dunn can't get past that she's not a typical "hot chick".

They want to book her like Bryan because they don't understand Bryan got over in spite of their booking, not because of it.

Zayn has the same problem.

what the fuck is Mahal doing main eventing?!

They want to make money in India and Jinder is of Indian descent (even though he's from Canada) so they went with him.

wwf wants to make money in india and mahal is their (canadian) guy for the job, even though four weeks ago he was a megajobber.

basically wwf's usual contempt for their viewers as they think him winning two matches in a year or whatever doesn't matter.

Nah, the India viewers are way more casual and easy to get on board than the US/UK fans. Go look at their Indian Facebook pages. Remember when the Indian fans revolted against Charlotte and demanded an apology for her turning on Ric?

Plus Khali is still a big star there and he barely did anything but jokes the last four or so years he was with the company.

Bronx-Man

Banned
In span of two years, Bayley went from having 14,000 screaming fans chanting her name after a MOTY contender in Brooklyn

to

"Have you ever even kissed a boy?"

Top Bottom