• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Payback 2000 |OT| Featuring The Hardy Boyz and Papa Roach

Status
Not open for further replies.
So catching up now after watching the superior Wrestle Circus show. Jericho really won? Wasn't he going away for awhile after this PPV? I'm ok with this though. Means KO is the hell away from Sami.

No KO is still on SD and Jericho probably drops the title back to Owens on Tuesday and Owens kills the fuck out of him... and Jericho leaves.

He's no better than he ever was. They just script him to look good. They have the capability to do that. They're doing it with him. They're doing it with Bliss. Smarks don't care cos they're heels and they're reverse marks.

I agree she's the best. But that's not why you're pushed in WWE.

Strowman has a fuckton of physical charisma, is strong and agile as fuck, and tells real stories in his matches. I've been on the Braun Train since debut!

Kusagari

Braun has been wrestling for little more than 2 years and is already better than 99% of the "big hoss" workers WWE has given this monster spot to.

I'd rather see Braun vs. Brock at Summerslam than anyone else they could have.
W25b0ov.gif

qdt4rdh.gif

UberTag

Braun/Brock's gonna be fucking nuts
Brock needs to cut loose on Braun with all sorts of creative offense like he did during that Rumble match.
None of this "nothing but suplex" horseshit.

Ah true. They do always have the dreaded rematch clause. Forgot about that.
Except for Owens exercising his rematch clause for the Universal title.
And except for Bray exercising his rematch clause for the WWE title.

ElRenoRaven

Well. That was a shit ending for the cruiserweight match. First dud of the PPV for me. Match was ok but so sick and tired of screwy endings. So fucking sick and tired of them.

Velcro Fly

Would love to see Braun and Brock just go all out on each other for 5-7 minutes. Would be way better than anything WWE is going to offer with Brock as champ. Both guys are booked as big and strong and tough so just build a match and feud where they beat the shit out of each other.

ElRenoRaven

Ok Tag match wasn't bad at all. I enjoyed it. Liked the end. Now on to the Women's match.

Women's match was good but really wish Bayley had won. Either way it was a good match. Alexa is continuing to improve so I'm ok with her win.

Oh god i'm up to the house of horrors match. I see a lot of laughter coming my way. This may be so bad it's good. ROFLMAO at the tractor.

ElRenoRaven

Ok so pretaped segment of the House of Horrors match is done. I'm actually loving it. I think people are taking it more seriously then WWE is. I have no doubt that was meant to be pure goofiness. You can't help but laugh at how stupid it is.

I can picture everyone there filming that and busting a gut while doing it. I like it. Call me crazy.

WTF at that Joe vs Rollins ending. That was awful. Pure awful. Shame too cause it was a good match before that.

We're going to pretend that Charlotte hasn't been put in a position to succeed over all the other women because she's a flair? (Because triple h never plays favorites) Lol she's still green as hell and has always been inferior to Sasha and Becky at the very least. She's actually been booked well though unlike the others for some inexplicable reason. Can't figure it out... It can't be because of her look because both Becky and Sasha have that down. It must be those great promos...

Remember when she was supposed to be the face of the women's revolution but couldn't get over as a Babyface? Even Naomi could do that despite being booked like nothing for 99% of her career (if you can call it booking). But smarks tell me Naomi is horrible.

Hex

Banned
We're going to pretend that Charlotte hasn't been put in a position to succeed over all the other women because she's a flair? Lol she's still green as hell and has always been inferior to Sasha and Becky at the very least. She's actually been booked well though unlike the others for some inexplicable reason. Can't figure it out... It can't be because of her look because both Becky and Sasha have that down. It must be those great promos...

Remember when she was supposed to be the face of the women's revolution but couldn't get over as a Babyface? Even Naomi could do that despite being booked like nothing for 99% of her career (if you can call it booking). But smarks tell me Naomi is horrible.

Not me, she totally got special treatment as Ric's baby

We're going to pretend that Charlotte hasn't been put in a position to succeed over all the other women because she's a flair? (Because triple h never plays favorites) Lol she's still green as hell and has always been inferior to Sasha and Becky at the very least. She's actually been booked well though unlike the others for some inexplicable reason. Can't figure it out... It can't be because of her look because both Becky and Sasha have that down. It must be those great promos...

Green as hell? She's the crispest female wrestler they have....

You can't rant about smarks while calling Charlotte green as hell.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Are you arguing that the top people in WWE are there because they're better than the rest of the roster?

Is Cesaro just not good enough to hang in main event matches?
No, WWE isn't based around being actually good at wrestling.

That doesn't mean you are correct

Also lol @ someone saying Charlotte is green as hell. Like...what? Charlotte surely got advantages by being Ric's daughter but let's not go so far as to say she didn't earn any of her accomplishments. She is their best female performer. She also isn't even close to inferior to Sasha Banks.

ElRenoRaven

So I liked the end of the House of Horrors match minus the interference. That was totally not needed and makes Bray look weak. Other then that I enjoyed that match.

Roman looked great today. Top notch selling, and got in the perfect amount of offense while using the correct offense. Exception being the superman punch, fuck the stupid fucking superman punch i fucking hate the superman punch. Outside of that, my only complaints towards Roman is of course the where his booking is going to lead to. He's got so much potential but Vince is more than happy to leave him in the super Roman role.

My main complaints are reserved for Rollins. He's an absolutely boring character and I'm not big on his ring work either. Sure, he's athletic and can pull off some crazy stuff, but it's at the cost of any storytelling for his matches. His ringwork is basically identical to the old CAW's that I would make when I was a kid. Just non stop high impact moves with no rhyme or reason to it. To top it off, out of all of the big main eventers he has the worst selling. What's the point of having a gimped knee when you're going to use it the entire match and sell is sporadically. I can't remember the last match he had that wasn't a complete bore.

Lastly, fuck you WWE for what you've done to Joe. Killed any momentum he could have had within months and made him just another guy.

ElRenoRaven

Not a fan of that last match. You have this monster who's pretty much crippled Roman Reigns yet he struggles to beat him in a long drawn out match. The only way you could have made Roman look any stronger is if you had him Hulk up and demolish Braun for the 1,2,3.

Not a fan of that last match. You have this monster who's pretty much crippled Roman Reigns yet he struggles to beat him in a long drawn out match. The only way you could have made Roman look any stronger is if you had him Hulk up and demolish Braun for the 1,2,3.

You're definition of struggle is still very fascinating to me.

Paracelsus

Kinda of a dick comment, but current WWE is basically

"Be Careful of What You Wish For - The Show"

In other words, it's full of quality workers and flippy shit, but near to no good talkers, people like the aforementioned Punk, able to be the only segment worth watching in 2 hours of complete utter unredeemable dog feces for over a year. And whoever said he wasn't exciting was drunk. He was the best worker in the company, his limit was his skinny fat look carried over to his work, he didn't look legit strong in most of his matches.

I'll take Alexa as champion over any of the current women paying their dues etc, because at least I won't fall asleep during her segments like with CHHHarlotte or the rest of the bunch.

Yes she's green. Even Bret Hart has said this at some point. There's no convincing anyone that doesn't see this though. And she 100% got her spot because of nepotism... This is pro wrestling. Shane McMahon wrestled Undertaker and AJ styles at Wm these past two years and had more than credible offense against both. Triple H is a Flair mark. It's not rocket science. Why does Stephanie have her spot in the company on and off screen when it's clear she knows nothing about the business? It must be talent.

Yes she's green. Even Bret Hart has said this at some point. There's no convincing anyone that doesn't see this though. And she 100% got her spot because of nepotism... This is pro wrestling. Shane McMahon wrestled Undertaker and AJ styles at Wm these past two years and had more than credible offense against both. Triple H is a Flair mark. It's not rocket science. Why does Stephanie have her spot in the company on and off screen when it's clear she knows nothing about the business? It must be talent.

Yeah he said that a freaking year ago right as Charlotte was just getting a grasp on her new persona

Charlotte is not green anymore and hasn't been for a while. Like to say this right now is absolute nonsense....

God this idea that the only reason (100%?!) is because of nepotism is gross, did it help her, yeah probably, but this woman has worked hard, was a huge part of the women's revolution in NXT, and has only gotten better and better to the point where she's undeniably the best female worker they have overall (mic + ring work) but yeah sure she hasn't earned any of it and is green... whatever.

Comparing her to Shane and Steph is ridiculous: those are Vince's kids, Charlotte isn't Vince's kid, if she sucked she'd have been gone the same way David Flair never went anywhere in WWE

Anoxida

Wha? This Braun v Roman feuds sole purpose is to launch Braun into star status and make him the next monster. It's working. Roman is so fucking valueable to the company its crazy. We dont dont like to remember it now but no one gave a shit about AJ styles before the awesome feud with Roman. That fued (and his apparent skill) made him into one of the top guys. Even Cena cant put someone as over as Roman can right now. Do you think they really care about Roman being boo'd anymore? Win a match against him clean and bam you got a new star basically. Add to that Roman is raking in money from merch and is a draw. For this to work you gotta keep the big dog looking strong though even if that can get pretty irritating.

So I liked the end of the House of Horrors match minus the interference. That was totally not needed and makes Bray look weak. Other then that I enjoyed that match.

the interference was the most fun part of the ring match though imo. orton's powerslam on one of the bollywood boyz looked amazing. it was so quick.

and honestly i'm starting to come around on Jinder Mahal. he's a pretty decent heel.

Oersted

Wha? This Braun v Roman feuds sole purpose is to launch Braun into star status and make him the next monster. It's working. Roman is so fucking valueable to the company its crazy. We dont dont like to remember it now but no one gave a shit about AJ styles before the awesome feud with Roman. That fued (and his apparent skill) made him into one of the top guys. Even Cena cant put someone as over as Roman can right now. Do you think they really care about Roman being boo'd anymore? Win a match against him clean and bam you got a new star basically. Add to that Roman is raking in money from merch and is a draw. For this to work you gotta keep the big dog looking strong though even if that can get pretty irritating.

I'm probably missing the joke, but Cena feud + heel turn + dropping bald and balder made AJ a maineventer.

Reigns should be kept strong as fuck if he's the top babyface. Top babyfaces should always come out on top except for rare occasions.

The issue is no one likes Reigns. Booking Austin that way was fine. Booking Hogan that way was fine.

It took far too long for the 'You can't wrestle' chants at John Cena to go away.

It's taking far too long for people to get over the fact Roman was pushed before he was ready for the main event. He's been worthy of his spot for well over a year. People liked him before that premature main event push, so I don't think it's Roman being unlikeable that's the issue here.

It's this dumb idea of 'we reject Roman because they wanted us to like him'. Don't put that on Roman. I don't think you can blame a wrestler for not turning down a main even spot.

And I don't think you can make the argument that he doesn't deserve that spot now.

So people should move on from the fact they gave him the Rumble win that one time like, two years ago. Judge him on his current work.

ReiGun

Is anyone still saying they dislike Reigns because of Reigns himself though? Most around here agree he's a solid worker. It's his booking people hate. It's the same lame ass predictable Superman booking people got tired of with Cena.

Roman will probably never recover from that Rumble win, but that doesn't excuse what a boring character he is.

I don't think they did enough with the House of Horrors segment. They should have rigged that place with a lot more scares. For the most part it was just a brawl in a house.

WWE fans need to take their share of the blame for being bad participants.

If you go to a show you should participate in the kayfabe of the experience. If someone is a heel you think is doing a good job, boo them. If someone is a face you think is doing a good job, cheer them. If someone is a face or heel you don't like, shut the fuck up and hit 'em with silence. Stop all the look at us kayfabe breaking chants. I guess I'm just a crusty old man but I don't wanna hear any chants other than a wrassler's name or something specific to that wrassler (whoo, yes, etc). "You deserve it", "you can't wrestle", or "this is awesome" make me cringe every time.

I get that the E books shit in ways we don't always like but it seems hard as fuck to do that job when the fans are more concerned with hijacking a show so they can be a part of it instead of just enhancing it. I feel even as currently booked, these shows would be infinitely better if the fans just went in and pretended it was real.

bill0527

I'd rather see Braun vs. Brock at Summerslam than anyone else they could have.

If next Wrestlemania isn't Braun vs Brock then WWE deserves the shitstorm backlash they're going to get. I actually kind of feel bad for Roman as it seems like he's the whipping boy for fan frustration but it's all Vince's fault, not his.

Raw64life

Charlotte has improved considerably since coming on the main roster and has earned her spot. But you can still definitely argue that the reason she was ever given the opportunity to get that spot in the first place is because of who her father is. She's said herself that she didn't think she could do wrestling and decided to do it because people in WWE kept asking her "why aren't you doing this?"

He loses almost every match, Tha being a underdog that's being a loser

Zayn has pinned Rollins, Owens, Jericho, Miz and
the current number one contender for the WWE title
all in the last 3 months. He also technically won a match against Braun Strowman.

jmdajr

Took some time but I agree, Reigns is the best guy from the Shield now. Thank God all dumb ass promos stopped.

Sadly the damage done from the Rumble prior to Wrestlmania 31 was immense. The dude has never recovered from the fans hating him.

No, WWE isn't based around being actually good at wrestling.

That doesn't mean you are correct

Also lol @ someone saying Charlotte is green as hell. Like...what? Charlotte surely got advantages by being Ric's daughter but let's not go so far as to say she didn't earn any of her accomplishments. She is their best female performer. She also isn't even close to inferior to Sasha Banks.

Agreed....
Charlotte has all the potential in the world. She is only going to get better and is athletically gifted.

lol that House of Horrors nonsense was as shit as expected, maybe even worse. It's still funny to watch the guy who they so badly want to be their new face of the company get the hate no matter what attempts at sympathy they try. Big shock Alexa Bliss won in Bayley's home town, didn't see that coming. /s

Interesting that they not only let Bliss beat her relatively clean (WTF) but that Sasha didn't show up at all.

WWE fans need to take their share of the blame for being bad participants.

If you go to a show you should participate in the kayfabe of the experience. If someone is a heel you think is doing a good job, boo them. If someone is a face you think is doing a good job, cheer them. If someone is a face or heel you don't like, shut the fuck up and hit 'em with silence. Stop all the look at us kayfabe breaking chants. I guess I'm just a crusty old man but I don't wanna hear any chants other than a wrassler's name or something specific to that wrassler (whoo, yes, etc). "You deserve it", "you can't wrestle", or "this is awesome" make me cringe every time.

I get that the E books shit in ways we don't always like but it seems hard as fuck to do that job when the fans are more concerned with hijacking a show so they can be a part of it instead of just enhancing it. I feel even as currently booked, these shows would be infinitely better if the fans just went in and pretended it was real.

I can agree a lot of those chants are awful and I do wish crowds would play along more but silence doesn't work, the crowd noise would just be dominated by the those who actually like Reigns (women and some kids) and Vince doesn't care, he has his chosen one and he's dug his heels in with Roman and his product, they've making record profits and there's no pressure to change. It's an extremely virulent crowd (and an injury) that eventually lead to Rocky Maivia being dumped and turning heel turn when he came back and the crowds these days are entirely toothless compared to what we'd see in the late 90s. Vince and his yes men carnies have reached a point where they can spin anything into what they want.

How can the fans pretend when WWE regularly goes out of their way to remind us that shit ain't real? Look at that stupid House of Horrors nonsense from last night as another perfect example of Vince (and Kevin Dunn) wanting to have his cake and eat it too while he and everyone else involved in that production not being talented enough to pull it off in a blatantly obvious pre-taped night segment when the sun was still up in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom