• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Films dated: New Mutants (Apr 14/18), Deadpool 2 (Jun 1/18), Dark Phoenix (Nov 2/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Disney isn't getting back this license back at any time in the next decade. Deadpool and Logan just made $1.4B between them, for about the combined cost of something like Civil War (marketing included).

Besides Disney can negotiate for the really interesting stuff. Still can't believe Fox traded Ego for the right to change Negasonic's powers. That is like trading Power Master Optimus Prime for Leader One

The Kree

Banned
Holy fucking shit. Did you live under a rock and miss the highly critically acclaimed films Logan and Deadpool? Logan is one of the highest critically praised films in the genre period.

Fox is not giving the rights to Disney, why in the world would you even think that is remotely possible? They make tons of money and out of their last 6 films of First Class, The Wolverine, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse, Deadpool, and Logan only one single one of them wasn't well received. They are batting 5/6 for the last few years in terms of audience and critics reactions.

Logan is the only good X movie and Deadpool is merely watchable in spite of itself.

I have no faith that these three new movies will be any good with a track record this bad.

Cheebo

Banned
Logan is the only good X movie and Deadpool is merely watchable in spite of itself.

Outside of Apocalypse they all got pretty solid (to great, especially Deadpool and Logan) reviews and solid CinemaScores from audiences.

It is pretty fair and accurate to say that outside of Apocalypse 5 of the last 6 X-films were warmly received by both the fanbase and critics

The Kree

Banned
Outside of Apocalypse they all got pretty solid (to great, especially Deadpool and Logan) reviews and solid CinemaScores from audiences.

It is pretty fair and accurate to say that outside of Apocalypse 5 of the last 6 X-films were warmly received by both the fanbase and critics

Lol. Maybe if you pretend X2, First Class and DOFP don't exist

I'm aware that other people like these trash movies.

Sean C

Hopefully when Disney regains the franchise, they set it in the same cinematic universe as all their other properties but make it much darker and realistic.
1) Disney is never regaining this franchise (or, at least, not until the superhero film well is totally dry, at which point it won't matter). It's too valuable to FOX.

2) If on the off-chance they did, it would be done in the same house style as every other Marvel movie.

Okay so X-Men: Apoc has Jean control the Phoenix to save the day. But X-Men: Dark Phoenix suggests she can't control it?

Fox.
Er, that's literally the arc in the comics. Jean's powers increase, she uses them for good, eventually she develops control/personality issues (depending on what your concept of the Phoenix is).

kswiston

I wonder when Paramount is going to remove Transformers 6 from the June 8, 2018 sceduled date. I can't see that happening.

Rest I can take or leave but I'm in for Deadpool 2.

I wonder when Paramount is going to remove Transformers 6 from the June 8, 2018 sceduled date. I can't see that happening.

Isn't the actual Transformers 6 in 2019? I had the impression the 2018 transformers movie is a Bumblebee spinoff.

OmniGamer

They haven't learned shit...here we go again, jumping directly into the ass-end of things. They'll probably make it even more compressed by shoe-horning another "Cure" type co-plot like in The Last Stand. Either give the entire Phoenix storyline space to breath and develop, or don't do it at all...so sick of the half-measures!

Okay so X-Men: Apoc has Jean control the Phoenix to save the day. But X-Men: Dark Phoenix suggests she can't control it?

Fox.

I mean, that's pretty much exactly how it happened in the comics.
UncannyXMen101.jpg
I really wish the X-Men franchise as a whole would leave that Phoenix shit behind but putting the blame on Fox is kinda silly.

kswiston

Rest I can take or leave but I'm in for Deadpool 2.

Isn't the actual Transformers 6 in 2019? I had the impression the 2018 transformers movie is a Bumblebee spinoff.

Ya. A Google search confirms that to be the case. Next summer is too crowded once again. Something will suffer.

Busty

Banned
Interesting that their confidence in the main-line X-Men franchise series doesn't seem to have been dampened by Apocalypse's relatively poor returns.

Yup. With neither J-Law or Fassbender thought to be returning I cannot see a situation where a James McAvoy headlined X-Men does anything but disappointing numbers.

No doubt Fox will try and have Deadpool 2 bolster some momentum for the film moving towards the end of the year but I just don't see it.

Busty

Banned
I can see Aquaman, as currently the only scheduled DC film of 2018, absolutely smashing all these Fox films at the box office except, possibly, Deadpool 2.

Sean C

Yup. With neither J-Law or Fassbender thought to be returning I cannot see a situation where a James McAvoy headlined X-Men does anything but disappointing numbers.
It will come down to whether the movie looks appealing or not, as is the case with all films.

There were obviously people who liked prior X-Men films who didn't care for Apocalypse or didn't go to see it, no matter who the cast was. In any event, there's no reason why it's any more risky to make more films with them than to make films featuring completely different characters who have no audience attachment at all.

Steejee

Yes, X3 is gone -- X1-X2 can't have happened the way they did either, but that's vaguer (and, at this point, not really relevant).

Timeline is a little confusing due to Days of Future Past, which basically reset everything. Logan has Caliban in it (who was only explicitly in Apocalypse, new timeline), and a reference is made to X1 (old timeline, or both timelines maybe), but otherwise it could be in either the original or revised timelines.

Outside of Origins: Wolverine and X3, I haven't found any of the X-Men movies outright terrible. Even then O:W had moments of 'so bad its good', just X3 was just 'so bad its just boring'. I'd say X2 and Logan have been the only genuinely *great* X-Men movies (and Deadpool in a sense), the rest have all varied from watchable (X1, First Class, Apoc) to fairly good (DoFP, The Wolverine [even with robot samurai]).

Apocalypse, while not a good movie, had a certain campy cartoonish charm to it and at least was not boring.

So all told, I'm not going to expect it to be bad like a DC movie. X-Men had a bad run with X3 and Origins:Wolverine, but outside of those has managed to at least make entertaining movies. Dark Phoenix feels like it should be led up to, though, like Avengers:Infinity War. I know in new timeline the Phoenix is more under Jean Grey's control (per end of Apocalypse) than she was in original timeline, but she should be a god-like character and not just a small thing to overcome in one movie.

Dark Phoenix was such an awesome event in the comics because it involves characters people loved and had been reading for years. Fox really needs to make Dark Phoenix after another X-Men movie so we already like the character and the relationship between Scott and Jean has already been established.

I mean I know different actors and all but we've seen Jean and Scott in 3.5 movies now.

I thought they weren't doing Warlock? Please don't do Warlock, i can't take the disappointment

Yeah I had heard Warlock was in but Ramsey wasn't...With no Doug there should be no Warlock imo

Fox.

?

Jean controlled her phoenix powers for quite a while but she did eventually lose control.. they're just speeding things up

kswiston

I added another write-up from Hollywood Reporter to the OP:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/deadpool-2-lands-june-2018-release-date-theaters-996562

Ryan Reynolds returns as the titular superhero in the 20th Century Fox sequel; the studios stakes out a slew of other release dates, including for Steven Spielberg's Pentagon Papers film, two more superhero movies and Steve McQueen's 'Widows.'
Deadpool 2 — one of Hollywood's most anticipated sequels — has booked a release date in theaters.

The follow-up to the groundbreaking and irreverent superhero 2016 film will hit the big screen on June 1, 2018, Fox said early Saturday.

It was a busy morning for the studio, between Deadpool and dating four Avatar sequels alongside a slew of other films, including an upcoming Steven Spielberg film, Bryan Singer's Bohemian Rhapsody, two more Fox/Marvel movies, X-Men spinoff New Mutants and sequel Dark Phoenix, and Steve McQueen's female-heist pic, Widows.

Ryan Reynolds once again stars as the titular superhero in Deadpool 2. The film series is a passion project for the actor, who spent years trying to get the first Deadpool made.

Newcomers to Deadpool 2 include Zazie Beetz as Domino and Josh Brolin as Cable. Shooting is set to begin in June.

Next year is going to be jam-packed in terms of Fox superhero titles: New Mutants will open April 13, 2018, while Dark Phoenix hits cinemas on Nov. 2. New Mutants, directed by Josh Boone, follows a young team of superheroes, while Dark Phoenix will revisit a classic comic book storyline that saw Jean Grey (Sophie Turner) become the host for the Phoenix Force, a cosmic entity that eventually drives her to becoming a destructive force that ultimately leads to her death. Longtime X-Men writer and producer Simon Kinberg is a top contender to direct the project, which is a followup to 2016's X-Men Apocalypse.

In terms of awards contenders, Fox has dated Steven Spielberg's Washington Post/Pentagon Papers film, starring Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, for limited release on Dec. 22, 2018. The untitled film will expand nationwide on Jan. 2018.

Looking to next year, McQueen's Widows is also a potential awards contender, and will open in theaters on Nov. 16, 2018.

Also in the fourth quarter of 2018, Singer's Bohemian Rhapsody has been given the high-profile release date of Dec. 25.

Fox also made a number of tweaks to its release calendar, including moving up Murder on the Orient Express from Nov. 22 of this year to Nov .10, and pushing back the release of Jennifer Lawrence's The Red Sparrow from Nov. 10 to March 2, 2018 and The Predator from Feb. 9, 2018 to Aug. 3.

JC Lately

It occurs to me that I've never actually read all of the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga. Marvel Unlimited has the full story(s) right?

You being generous

People don't like Jean
Jean has a bad dream
Zaps Apocalypse

that is the story so far

I don't even remember the actresses name and she's gonna anchor a whole movie?

Shit we ain't even built up Scott, the two most important pieces to the puzzle and we know exactly dick about either.

OmniGamer

Jean controlled her sudden power boost just fine until these assholes...even thinking Scott and the other X-Men(except her and Beast) died in Antartica from their battle with Magneto didn't cause her to go off...

She subconsciously cut her power back from their cosmic peak...so she could grow more naturally into it, which would have happened before the Hellfire Club.

You being generous

People don't like Jean
Jean has a bad dream
Zaps Apocalypse

that is the story so far

Well it wasn't like Phoenix was explained in issue 101 either...it wasn't until I think issue 125 that some minor explanation was given(and then years later with the wretched retcon).

Do Better

I wonder if the MCU will eventually throw Wanda
further
under the bus like every major X-men adaptation eventually does to Jean Grey.

Slayven

I don't even remember the actresses name and she's gonna anchor a whole movie?

Shit we ain't even built up Scott, the two most important pieces to the puzzle and we know exactly dick about either.

Has any of these Game of Thrones hires ever turn out good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom