• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Films dated: New Mutants (Apr 14/18), Deadpool 2 (Jun 1/18), Dark Phoenix (Nov 2/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longtime X-Men writer and producer Simon Kinberg is a top contender to direct the project, which is a followup to 2016's X-Men Apocalypse.

Please no. Kinberg already did the Phoenix story dirty in X-Men 3. Now you want him to direct the thing as his first feature?

Epcott

Fox reaaaally wants their shared universe.

Three X films, one year. Which will be the clunker, which will bring the money? I have a feeling Phoenix will crash and burn.

I wish Fox and Sony the best of luck.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
New Mutants
GEN-X-2.jpg

Sean C

It's amazing that she did that and it was somehow unmemorable and not worth mentioning.

Seriously, how do you mess up Apocalypse?
I thought Jean's parts of Apocalypse were among its strongest. And it was definitely the best material she's gotten in the X-Men films to date.

Busty

Banned
It will come down to whether the movie looks appealing or not, as is the case with all films.

There were obviously people who liked prior X-Men films who didn't care for Apocalypse or didn't go to see it, no matter who the cast was. In any event, there's no reason why it's any more risky to make more films with them than to make films featuring completely different characters who have no audience attachment at all.

Careful, young man. With that much furious spinning beware you don't rotate so much that you end up corkscrewing yourself into the ground.

Blader

But what about Gambit

6 Cape Films in 2018

Jebbus.

What's DC doing in '18? Aquaman right?

Just Aquaman for now. Potentially another film in the summer, but the time to get production started on whatever that might is quickly running out.

If the Phoenix Saga isn't at least a two part movie series and goes to space with the Shi'ar Empire involved then what's the point? That's what the fans want. We don't want your own interpretation of the Phoenix Saga like X3. We want the one we came to know and love.

BTW I never read the comics either but the Phoenix Saga from the cartoon series was by far my favorite arc in the show.

Dalek

"Hello, I'm Jean Grey"

Next movie...

"Hello, Dark Phoenix."

I think that Logan and Deadpool are going to be the exceptions to the rule in as far as Fox's quality for this franchise.

"Hello, I'm Jean Grey"

Next movie...

"Hello, Dark Phoenix."

I think that Logan and Deadpool are going to be the exceptions to the rule in as far as Fox's quality for this franchise.

Fucked up that the Deadpool meme hour is still a better X-Men movie than any of the X-Men movies.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Holy fucking shit. Did you live under a rock and miss the highly critically acclaimed films Logan and Deadpool? Logan is one of the highest critically praised films in the genre period.

Fox is not giving the rights to Disney, why in the world would you even think that is remotely possible? They make tons of money and out of their last 6 films of First Class, The Wolverine, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse, Deadpool, and Logan only one single one of them wasn't well received. They are batting 5/6 for the last few years in terms of audience and critics reactions.

I addressed the films that I thought were lacking in the franchise. I haven't seen Logan so I can't comment on it but I am aware of the universal acclaim it has received and look forward to seeing it myself. Deadpool was great but I don't include it not Logan alongside the other X-Men movies. Honestly I'm not too sure how they all mesh in terms of continuity either with all the time travel and contradicting events happening. When I say certain X-Men movies have been shit, I'm speaking exclusively and explicitly about X-Men movies, not Deadpool movies or Wolverine movies so you reflexively jumped to this position of being alarmed at what I said without truly understanding what it was that I did say.

Lastly, just because I want to see them take the franchise in a different direction and hoped to see that it happens in the hands of a more proven studio doesn't mean I'm trying to assert, suggest or delude myself into believing that it will happen. I just want the films to really deviate from the status quo of Marvel superhero flicks and get into subject matter that I feel makes them so engaging and speak about things other hero flicks seem afraid to. That was it.

1) Disney is never regaining this franchise (or, at least, not until the superhero film well is totally dry, at which point it won't matter). It's too valuable to FOX.

2) If on the off-chance they did, it would be done in the same house style as every other Marvel movie.
My thought was that if Marvel does reacquire it, they'll know it isn't nearly as big a draw as it's other franchises so they won't be afraid to say or do things that wouldn't otherwise sit comfortably in a summer blockbuster, superhero movie. That's all I hoped for.

The Kree

Banned
If the Phoenix Saga isn't at least a two part movie series and goes to space with the Shi'ar Empire involved then what's the point? That's what the fans want. We don't want your own interpretation of the Phoenix Saga like X3. We want the one we came to know and love.

BTW I never read the comics either but the Phoenix Saga from the cartoon series was by far my favorite arc in the show.

They already traded the Shiar rights back to Marvel Studios for three Butterfingers and an Old Fashioned.

TaterTots

Banned
Disney isn't getting back this license back at any time in the next decade. Deadpool and Logan just made $1.4B between them, for about the combined cost of something like Civil War (marketing included).

Why should Disney/Marvel get Deadpool? FOX and everyone involved did a great job with that movie. You can tell the people involved actually give a damn about the characters.....X-Men is another story.

Sean C

Careful, young man. With that much furious spinning beware you don't rotate so much that you end up corkscrewing yourself into the ground.
That's not spin. There's no reason why a disappointing performance from one movie should cause the studio to abandon it or lose confidence; indeed, the history of this very series shows the opposite, since it's gone through some significant ups and downs over the years. The most important factor in whether audiences go to see a movie is whether the studio can sell them on that particular movie.

Why should Disney/Marvel get Deadpool? FOX and everyone involved did a great job with that movie. You can tell the people involved actually give a damn about the characters.....X-Men is another story.
It's all under one license, so any successful films made under it prolong the whole license. FOX is never going to just give Disney highly valuable IP because one film made less than they wanted it to. Even if they want to temporarily stop using certain characters, they would just keep them in their back pocket for later use.

Magwik

Banned
They should just scrap this series or release the reigns to Disney/Marvel and allow them to make these movies because First Class is the only one that did anything good for the franchise since X2. Apocalypse was a waste and Days of Futures Past definitely didn't live up to the hype or capitalize on the world First Class created.

Hopefully when Disney regains the franchise, they set it in the same cinematic universe as all their other properties but make it much darker and realistic. It should ask why does the public champion heroes and other mutates but persecutes and demonizes mutants when they put their lives on the line just as often to save all humankind among other questions. The comics draw inspiration from very charged social and historical events so it'd be a travesty if they just made this another comedic superhero tale with no sense of responsibility or consequence. I want something akin to Rogue One for these films.
We already have a Rogue One of X-Men, it came out last year too.
X-Men under Disney would see Magneto killed during the first film.

Can't wait to see them fuck up Dark Phoenix a second time. REBOOT THIS GODDAMN FRANCHISE ALREADY; the Singerverse is a relic of an era when it was still novel for a superhero adaptation to not show outright contempt for the source material

Can't wait to see them fuck up Dark Phoenix a second time. REBOOT THIS GODDAMN FRANCHISE ALREADY; the Singerverse is a relic of an era when it was still novel for a superhero adaptation to not show outright contempt for the source material

To be fair they had one fuck up out of the past 3 dude.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
We already have a Rogue One of X-Men, it came out last year too.
X-Men under Disney would see Magneto killed during the first film.
I'm assuming you're referring to Logan? If you were saying that Apocalypse=Rouge One then that'd be disheartening.

After the 150 million US DOLLARS Gambit movie in 20XX

They should have Tatum as Gambit in Dark Phoenix teasing that this will lead into his solo movie only to announce the movie's cancellation by having Phoenix rip his head off, burn his body to ash and then throw his head into the sun.

That way we can get the hilarity of Tatum as Gambit and we never have to see him again after

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom