• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Films dated: New Mutants (Apr 14/18), Deadpool 2 (Jun 1/18), Dark Phoenix (Nov 2/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair they had one fuck up out of the past 3 dude.

If by the other two, you mean Logan and Deadpool, they have very little to do with the rest of the franchise.

If by the other two, you mean First Class and DofP, I agree that they were decent but not that they make a remotely sufficient case against a reboot. The series is stuck doing period pieces for the foreseeable future not for any apparent thematic reason, but solely because those two are still in continuity.

Did I miss some news announcing writers and directors for New Mutants and Dark Phoenix? Kind of hard to pull a tentpole film out of your ass in a year...

Whatever. I dug Apocalypse. Series hasn't had a bad movie since 2009, IMO. I'll check all of these out.

If by the other two, you mean Logan and Deadpool, they have very little to do with the rest of the franchise.

If by the other two, you mean First Class and DofP, I agree that they were decent but not that they make a remotely sufficient case against a reboot. The series is stuck doing period pieces for the foreseeable future not for any apparent thematic reason, but solely because those two are still in continuity.
I meant FC and DoFP yes.

Which are also in the top 3 of the entire series and could be arguably 1 and 2. A reboot isn't going to actually solve anything either.

I mean DoFP basically did an in continuity reboot itself.

kswiston

Did I miss some news announcing writers and directors for New Mutants and Dark Phoenix? Kind of hard to pull a tentpole film out of your ass in a year...

Whatever. I dug Apocalypse. Series hasn't had a bad movie since 2009, IMO. I'll check all of these out.

The writers and director of New Mutants were announced about 2 years ago.

Why should Disney/Marvel get Deadpool? FOX and everyone involved did a great job with that movie. You can tell the people involved actually give a damn about the characters.....X-Men is another story.

Fox didn't do a great job with Deadpool. Reynolds and Miller did. They had to beg Fox to let them make the movie in the first place, and when they finally did they threw them a conservative budget. The movie wasn't Fox just getting anything, much less caring about the property.

The one time they wanted to do Deadpool, Origins happened.

Prompto

Banned
Fox didn't do a great job with Deadpool. Reynolds and Miller did. They had to beg Fox to let them make the movie in the first place, and when they finally did they threw them a conservative budget. The movie wasn't Fox just getting anything, much less caring about the property.

Fox certainly marketed the hell out of it. Marketed it perfectly too. And they still made the movie at the end of the day. Along with Logan.

And Origins was made during a time when Tom Rothman was still running Fox.

The Han Solo movie is supposed to come out the week before Deadpool 2.
That's going to hurt the legs on Han Solo. Wonder if both will open above 100 million back to back.

I meant FC and DoFP yes.

Which are also in the top 3 of the entire series and could be arguably 1 and 2. A reboot isn't going to actually solve anything either.

I mean DoFP basically did an in continuity reboot itself.

No, it did a half-assed quasi-reboot by leaving FC and the 1970s portions of DoFP in continuity, thus saddling the franchise with a ton of unnecessary continuity baggage.

It's long past time to reestablish the team in the present day, and without being hamstrung by the character backstories, ages, and characterizations established in those films.

They already traded the Shiar rights back to Marvel Studios for three Butterfingers and an Old Fashioned.

Is this meant to be a joke? I honestly can't tell because I googled and found nothing except James Gunn confirming that Fox owns the rights and because of that he can's use them in the GotG series.

I have no care for any of the young versions of the X-Men. Yet a Dark Phoenix series is coming which is supposed to make me care for her.

Apocalypse did nothing to make me care for them at all. I don't get how Fox expects us to care for these characters in another Dark Phoenix movie.

With the way this series has played out a reboot would be pointless. I mean, one of the movies announced here is already re-doing a previous movie in the franchise.

Continuity has never really mattered either. DoFP proved that when it went on to be the highest grossing movie in the series at the time by a pretty wide margin. They could set the next movie in present day with all of the characters the same ages and it literally would not matter at all. They could drop Nightcrawler and Magik into the party with no explanation whatsoever and it still wouldn't matter. The audience of these films over the last 17 years has been traded in for a new one more than once already and nobody is really paying attention enough to care.

The writers and director of New Mutants were announced about 2 years ago.

Yeah but that was back when I assumed that everything Fox announced with this series was a bluff. They were still pretending that Gambit was totally happening.

Fox certainly marketed the hell out of it. Marketed it perfectly too. And they still made the movie at the end of the day. Along with Logan.

And Origins was made during a time when Tom Rothman was still running Fox.

They didn't make it, though. Marketed it well once they saw what they had? Sure. Made it? No.

And Apocalypse just came out. Let's relax.

Yeah but that was back when I assumed that everything Fox announced with this series was a bluff. They were still pretending that Gambit was totally happening.

. . .
What? Who would they be bluffing exactly? Cinema goers? It's not like people are purchasing movie tickets years in advance or planning budgets for their summer 2018 movie going season

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
That's going to hurt the legs on Han Solo. Wonder if both will open above 100 million back to back.

It'll only hurt the legs if anyone gives a shit about another Deadpool movie, particularly in the crowded summer months, which is not a question we have an answer for yet. Part of Deadpool's success was being out in February with no competition around it for weeks. An R-rated movie is going to have a harder time in June, competing with a Star Wars movie, during a time period when most parents going to the movies are going to have a kid with them. Moving the sequel to a summer release is a mistake, IMO.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah...I don't buy it. 3 X-Men films next year, none of which have started filming? Deadpool is a must. New Mutants is close to starting. Those 2 I buy. This Dark Phoenix thing? Nah. It'll be a matinee with that Gambit movie.

After Apocayplse i am more worried about the look

317442-108944-warlock.jpg

Yeah, my worry is in them being able to translate Sienkiewicz's impressionistic art style onto film. I can't see them pulling it off, or even caring enough to try.

But if any comic book movie needs to look like the comic book it came from, it's The New Mutants. For me, Sienkiewicz's art is in inseparable part of the series and what makes it one of the most artistic and emotionally resonant Marvel series they've made.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This looks like a lot but I wouldn't be surprised to see Dark Phoenix pushed into 2019.

And I 100% stand by what I've been saying for years: Venom isn't happening.

TaterTots

Banned
That's not spin. There's no reason why a disappointing performance from one movie should cause the studio to abandon it or lose confidence; indeed, the history of this very series shows the opposite, since it's gone through some significant ups and downs over the years. The most important factor in whether audiences go to see a movie is whether the studio can sell them on that particular movie.

It's all under one license, so any successful films made under it prolong the whole license. FOX is never going to just give Disney highly valuable IP because one film made less than they wanted it to. Even if they want to temporarily stop using certain characters, they would just keep them in their back pocket for later use.

I guess I understood this all wrong. So, FOX has the rights to ALL mutant properties?

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I bet fox would copy/paste the future sentinels in dofp and draw some gold lines on it for warlock. maybe make them thinner, something like the nanomachine transformer from the one with marky mark in it.

TaterTots

Banned

Guess I was including Reynolds, Miller, Rhett Reese, and Paul Wernick as FOX. It was obviously a pet project to those people and they actually care and know a thing or two about Deadpool. I was surprised to hear that Reynolds actually read Deadpool comics when someone suggested it to him. I imagine a lot of actors do not for some reason haha.

I should clarify that he read the comics a movie exec sent to him in 2004 that sparked it all.

Kaizer

Banned
Only X-Films I'm looking forward to are New Mutants, Deadpool 2 & X-Force. I don't read comics that often, but I do remember reading a bit of a fairly recent run on X-Force and I'm interested in what mutants will makeup the team other then Deadpool.

TaterTots

Banned
Only X-Films I'm looking forward to are New Mutants, Deadpool 2 & X-Force. I don't read comics that often, but I do remember reading a bit of a fairly recent run on X-Force and I'm interested in what mutants will makeup the team other then Deadpool.

Brolin signed on for multiple films, so my guess is Deadpool, Cable, Domino, Colossus, and Negasonic. I'm taking a guess at Colossus and Negasonic because the writers mentioned they will be back for Deadpool 2 as well. I feel like its character development before they dive into the team movies.

Sesha

Fox needs to borrow Kevin Feige for a week or two.

Here's 2018 in general. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=bydate&release=theatrical&yr=2018&p=.htm

A few films will drop off or shuffle dates.

Oh wow, this list.

Insidious 4

Fifty Shades 3
Black Panther
Pacific Rim 2

Wreck It Ralph 2
Tomb Raider (probably big budget so I'm including it. Not sure anyone will care, though)
Ready Player One (Spielberg, so I'm including it)

New Mutants

Avengers: Infinity War
Han Solo: A Star Wars Story

Deadpool 2
Ocean's 8
Transformers 6 (T5 is out now. Definitely delayed)
The Incredibles 2
Jurassic World 2

Ant-Man and the Wasp
Hotel Transylvania 3
Alita: Battle Angel
Mission Impossible 6
Untitled DC film (The Batman?)

The Predator (didn't realize this was a thing)
Scarface (August is 80s remake month apparently)

Venom (lol not happening)
Jungle Book: Origins (what a dumb title. Hollywood gonna Hollywood)

Dark Phoenix (probably getting delayed)
Mulan
Fantastic Beasts 2
Gigantic

Ultimate Spider-Man
Aquaman

Hollywood stahp. What a monster year. It starts out relatively modestly with Insidious 4 and Fifty Shades 3, then just goes all out.

Disney isn't getting back this license back at any time in the next decade. Deadpool and Logan just made $1.4B between them, for about the combined cost of something like Civil War (marketing included).
Which is a good thing. I'm pretty sure Disney would have not released gritty R-Rated movies like Logan and Deadpool.

Sean C

I guess I understood this all wrong. So, FOX has the rights to ALL mutant properties?
Yes, that's the X-Men collective license; all the character, solo franchises, etc. flow from that.

If FOX stopped making anything but Deadpool movies, the success of those would keep prolonging the license to the whole thing indefinitely.

Which is why FOX will never lose the X-Men. The IP is so diverse that it's easy to create something to satisfy the terms even if a particular well is deemed to be dry for the time being.

Finally getting Magik on the silver screen? I'm interested in how that turns out.

Young Jeanne in Apocalypse did nothing for me, I have zero interest in a movie about her.

overcast

Why should Disney/Marvel get Deadpool? FOX and everyone involved did a great job with that movie. You can tell the people involved actually give a damn about the characters.....X-Men is another story.
I'll take Logan with the hit/miss nature of the Xmen franchise over what would have been done with the character if it was done within the MCU. I know why the fans are clamoring, but Logan is a more singular experience than any other comic flick.

Fucking predator got delayed all the way to august? Noooooo. Was so hyped for that one. The sooner the better

Widows gonna be fire, another best of the year candidate. Steve McQueen is 💯 right now and the cast is really dope too.

Out of the marvel movies that year it will be exciting to see Deadpool 2, animated spiderman and black panther.

As much as I loved some of the previous xmen movies can't say I give a shit about new ones with Logan effectively ending the Singer saga for me. If mcavoy makes it into new mutants tho then I might check that out on rental. Director and the young adult vibe sounds wack. But they might get anya Taylor Joy in there and between witch and split she's been really awesome. To hell with the dark phoenix movie. Maybe a few years later I'll check it out in morbid curiosity to see if kinberg can actually shit on the same arc in two separate instances. That would be impressive.

They should consider getting x23 in as the new wolverine of the series. It can be a recast or whatever if they want her to be a teenager or early 20s (and it would be nice to see little flashbacks with the Logan actress)

But that's the best way going forward having a mutant like wolverine without the daunting task of recasting wolverine. Plus it would piggyback on this trend recently of more female franchise heroes.

And yeah it's cool that Fox has it together now. Its dope to have some marvel output outside of just mcu for variety's sake (and in some cases much better output imo)

Ugh, I don't trust them to handle the Dark Phoenix storyline especially since they got rid of the hellfire club so soon, and I don't think jumping right into that arc so soon is such a great idea. It's gonna likely be another X3 if they do.

Okay so X-Men: Apoc has Jean control the Phoenix to save the day. But X-Men: Dark Phoenix suggests she can't control it?

Fox.

Fox doesn't give a shit about continuity, we all know that.

guek

Banned
I feel like there's no chance of them pulling off all 3 well. Fox is going to fuck up somewhere, probably dark Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom