• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1: Microsoft Claims that Cloud Computing Can Provide Power of 3 XB1's, 32 X360's

Bessy67

You have to wonder though, or at least I do as a slightly cynical gamer, whether that was by choice or necessity?

I think I remember them talking up the cloud before the game released and specifically mentioning how it will help the AI which implied that it would be advanced and quite smart (I might be wrong on this though so if I am please excuse me).

I would have to say by choice, definitely. If there were 6 enemy pilots all with the ability to call in titans and the map was populated by AI that could also kill you the game would just be frustrating.

What am I avoiding? You completely ignored my previous response to your "BS" posts.

All you did was resort to a personal attack, I am not getting dragged into that nonsense. Again, the ways games are made, online infrastructure, having to always be online, no one is making games that would take advantage of the cloud even IF what ms said is true, which it isn't. Cloud can help in some small cases. 3 times as powerfull is cringe worthy bad PR>

Wasn't the cloud as powerful 4 Xbones (or 10?) and 40 X360's last year?

Anyways, this is sad. Where are they getting the metrics for this? Their asses?
3 xb1s in the cloud 1 locally. I guess that equals 4.

They really need to put up or shut up. The physics demo was pretty cool and Spencer said wasn't throwaway work but we really need to see real world applications of what it can improve.

Synth

Not new. It's the same they said pre-launch: every Xbox One can count on the computational equivalent of three Xbox One on the cloud. http://www.develop-online.net/news/microsoft-cloud-makes-xbox-one-four-times-more-powerful/0114948

BS, in order for CLOUD to improve graphics, AI in SP games the game and console would ALWAYS have to be online. How did cloud help Titanfall bad ai and frame drops, BF4 MP?. It's MS garbage trying to pull one over people.

Firstly, regarding the bolded...
It’s relevant to mention that the representative talked about computing power, not graphical fidelity
Titanfall's AI isn't bad due to cloud limitations. The grunts are designed to be easy to kill, and the AI for the Auto Titans is actually pretty good. If the game was p2p then all the unit AI would need to be calculated on one host's Xbox whilst running the rest of the game, and would be dependant on that person having a completely fucking solid upload in order to maintain smooth gameplay.

And BF4 didn't use MS' cloud.. if anything the difference between how it has fared compared to Titanfall is an argument in favour of their cloud service.

The AI is no different then Any other AI we saw, so I ask again how did DAT CLOUD help titanfall?? Why isn't TF an always online game they said uses cloud have low frame rate low resolution and bog standard AI??
AI in offline games is not the same thing as online. I've had to make this point so many times on this forum that I've lost count. Outrun has tons of AI traffic offline, but that all disappears once you go online. Traffic is absolutely fundamental to the Outrun experience so why would this be the case?

It's because keeping all the traffic synced for all the players is not a trivial task in an online game. When you're offline the game can ignore any traffic not in your immediate vicinity, and generate traffic only as you approach it. Translate that to online where suddenly there's 8 different racers all scattered at different points of the track (maybe not even in the same stage) and suddenly these shortcuts stop working. Similarly with Titanfall every AI unit has to be doing there thing everywhere on the map at once, not just the ones you see. This is not comparable to the smaller groups of event triggered AI you typically see in single player games.

So can we quit making that argument now?

The AI is no different then Any other AI we saw, so I ask again how did DAT CLOUD help titanfall?? Why isn't TF an always online game they said uses cloud have low frame rate low resolution and bog standard AI??

The AI is handled server-side, that and dedicated servers is the use of the cloud. I did not say it was great use of it and I even called out that they need to show us a big use of it for the hate to cool some. As the Last Hours of Titanfall showed, the game had a troubled development which led to it being kinda bare and not great looking. I'd be willing to be that Titanfall 2 (Fall Harder) will have a single player, a larger weapon count, customizability and probably a bigger use of "the cloud." I just don't see why everybody gets worked up by Cloud talk. It does not seem worth getting upset about.

The number one best-selling game on the console uses MS cloud services and only works online. Many of the biggest games releasing this fall are similarly, always online, as Ubisoft is aggressively pursuing that angle and Activision is doing so with Destiny.

Again what does cloud do for it??? bad AI, low FPS and resolution?? That only underscores thet point how foolish MS statements are. Destiny and the division are on ps4 and most likely will run and look better. MS cloud indeed.

Marcel

Nah man, here's some rare footage of the Xbox one using the power of the cloud.
kid-goku-on-nimbus-o.gif

The cloud can only be ridden by someone with a pure heart, so Roshi was unable to demonstrate how to use it due to his lust for women, nor could Bulma who was also impure.

The cloud seems to be both prudish and sexist.

Firstly, regarding the bolded...

Titanfall's AI isn't bad due to cloud limitations. The grunts are designed to be easy to kill, and the AI for the Auto Titans is actually pretty good. If the game was p2p then all the unit AI would need to be calculated on one host's Xbox whilst running the rest of the game, and would be dependant on that person having a completely fucking solid upload in order to maintain smooth gameplay.

And BF4 didn't use MS' cloud.. if anything the difference between how it has fared compared to Titanfall is an argument in favour of their cloud service.

AI in offline games is not the same thing as online. I've had to make this point so many times on this forum that I've lost count. Outrun has tons of AI traffic offline, but that all disappears once you go online. Traffic is absolutely fundamental to the Outrun experience so why would this be the case?

It's because keeping all the traffic synced for all the players is not a trivial task in an online game. When you're offline the game can ignore any traffic not in your immediate vicinity, and generate traffic only as you approach it. Translate that to online where suddenly there's 8 different racers all scattered at different points of the track (maybe not even in the same stage) and suddenly these shortcuts stop working. Similarly with Titanfall every AI unit has to be doing there thing everywhere on the map at once, not just the ones you see. This is not comparable to the smaller groups of event triggered AI you typically see in single player games.

So can we quit making that argument now?

Ah they purposely made bad AI got ya...lmao. YEah this cloud nonsense is nonsense in the way MS is talking about. MS is not saying it will help with small processes like AI, they are saying 3 times as powerfull..............they are clearly indicating graphics power and over all grunt.

Daemul

Because it's the worst AI I've ever seen in a shooter?

You can literally stand in front of them for 3-5 seconds before they start shooting half the time.

That's the entire point of them, they're only there as a means to getting your Titan faster and to help out not so good players so that they can also contribute to the game.

Sick of this. Do you have anything to contribute to the thread? Other than attacking me, again?
Why don't you list some Xbox One games that are clearly utilising the 'times 3' cloud power, to bring us never seen before next gen experiences then? You'll make Steev look right silly. I mean it's true and all, you just said so.

Dragon

Banned
The number one best-selling game on the console uses MS cloud services and only works online. Many of the biggest games releasing this fall are similarly, always online, as Ubisoft is aggressively pursuing that angle and Activision is doing so with Destiny.

You have numbers that says Titanfall has outsold Forza? I thought Forza did pretty well initially.

As to your other point, none of the games you're mentioning have been shown to use compute power in the cloud equivalent to what MS is stating in this thread.

Misleading - they are just talking about CPU processing and thus the claim isn't that false.

The claim is misleading and disingenuous and meant to be so.

Misleading - they are just talking about CPU processing and thus the claim isn't that false.

Then it can clearly provide far more compute power than 3 x xbones, so why are they sticking with that small a number? Are they going with what's practical for small packets of data that can be processed asynchronously (like drivatar data) and therefore the console doesn't need to be always-online? Or saying that 3x is the limit you'll be allocated to Azure on the very best of days? Then why don't they just say 'We can enhance your gaming with online compute in certain types of games, but you probably won't be getting 3x better graphics' and be a bit more honest about it? Of course, that doesn't get them a marketing bullshit point which some people don't even critically question, so you don't need to answer that.

How is the Cloud possible? Who pays for all this extra compute? You can't even browse the internet without a gold sub, they could've filled the xbone with a better GPU, but they didn't, and yet they're going to give you something that's more expensive, as long as you own an xbone and net connection. For no extra cost.

BigDug13

The AI is handled server-side, that and dedicated servers is the use of the cloud. I did not say it was great use of it and I even called out that they need to show us a big use of it for the hate to cool some. As the Last Hours of Titanfall showed, the game had a troubled development which led to it being kinda bare and not great looking. I'd be willing to be that Titanfall 2 (Fall Harder) will have a single player, a larger weapon count, customizability and probably a bigger use of "the cloud." I just don't see why everybody gets worked up by Cloud talk. It does not seem worth getting upset about.

Mostly because it's PR to attempt to make a weaker console sound more powerful than the competition when in reality it isn't. It's basically saying "thanks to the cloud, the XBO is actually 3x more powerful than the specs show, therefore the PS4 isn't the most powerful this gen.

That's why people get worked up over "cloud" talk. If it's really 3x XBO's in power and the 360 can also take advantage of the cloud as evidenced by Titanfall, does that mean a 360 connected to the cloud is over 3x as powerful as a non-cloud connected XBO? It's all bullshit.

HUH??? Titanfall has not outsold killzone.................

If we're still talking DBZ logic here, the best thing to do is not let Goku stand there and gather power but to just punch him instead. I think that's already happening in a way.
Oh yeah the latency while gathering that attack is really bad but he used it effectively a few times but he always needed help distracting the enemy. But the Xbox one is alone because the dgpu is not there to help.

dahuman

Neo Member
It's possible in Japan because they have way better internet than the U.S., the problem is nobody will really do cloud rendering if they are spending resources on building games for the entire world instead of just Japan. So unless the game will never make it out of Japan, it's a useless feature. Considering that the majority of games made in Japan are cel-shaded anime style graphics...... They don't need that feature to start with, I really couldn't give less shit about One Piece or a Tales game that's ray traced. Could be interesting to see what SE "could" do with it but I doubt they'd ever really bother.

Guymelef

You have to wonder though, or at least I do as a slightly cynical gamer, whether that was by choice or necessity?

I think I remember them talking up the cloud before the game released and specifically mentioning how it will help the AI which implied that it would be advanced and quite smart (I might be wrong on this though so if I am please excuse me).

Pre Titanfall.
tumblr_mlwd919hFg1sp9907o1_500.gif

Post titanfall
tumblr_m7u2ivg5rn1ryf7dio1_500.gif

Synth

Ah they purposely made bad AI got ya...lmao. YEah this cloud nonsense is nonsense in the way MS is talking about. MS is not saying it will help with small processes like AI, they are saying 3 times as powerfull..............they are clearly indicating graphics power and over all grunt.

Is that seriously all you got from my post?... Seriously? :(

Is that seriously all you got from my post?... Seriously? :(

All i got was useless speculation that has nothing to do with MS saying 3 times as powerfull consoile....They have not shown 1 thing that could not be done better on ps4. Whats the excuse going to be when titanfall comes to ps4 and performs better? Sony has a better cloud?

Bessy67

Why don't you list some Xbox One games that are clearly utilising the 'times 3' cloud power, to bring us never seen before next gen experiences then? You'll make Steev look right silly. I mean it's true and all, you just said so.

What I don't get is why everyone acts like this is impossible. I mean, cloud computing has been around for a good long while. It's not like this is some brand new technology. There may not be any great examples of it in the gaming environment, but I don't understand why people seem to think that MS saying they can triple the computational power of the Xbox with the cloud is such an outlandish claim when we've seen cloud computing doing just that in other fields for years.

BigDug13

For the people saying "this is true" I have a question:

We already know the Xbox 360 can use the cloud.

So does that mean an Xbox 360 connected to the cloud can be 3x as powerful as an XBO not connected to the cloud?

Just to comment on titanfall Ai there are dozens of ais roaming the battlefield and outside to give the impression of an epic battle. Respawn has said at least a few times that the Ai is dumbed down intentionally and because that would be an awful clusterfuck if the Ais killed you with any ease. The titan Ai is pretty good but Its obvious that they wanted the challenge to come from human players and I'm so glad they did it that way.

Cloud helping out isn't bullshit, it can help improve things.

However, Cloud turning an Xbox one from a system that is 8 times faster than the 360 to a system 32 times faster than a 360 is IMO - bullshit.

Two things are holding the cloud technology back in terms of gaming right now:

1. It's a technology in its early stages, even in business. The company I work for uses cloud technology to compile and deliver reports for thousands of companies in retail. Even though we work in the cloud, we still have to battle the buzzword aspect (aka the pie in the sky bullshit) that sales people promise the cloud to be. It's not mature enough yet to deliver in the manner it takes to do what MS is promising. So, this application of cloud technology is one that won't be realized until much later in the gen.

And even then, we'll have to contend with...

2. Infrastructure issues. Let's face it, many areas (especially in the US) don't have anything close to the infrastructure necessary to deliver what the cloud could be capable of when it's a mature technology in gaming. I personally have a DSL connection that could pull it off - which is awesome considering I live in a rural area, but people just a few miles away in other towns are stuck with lesser connections or, even worse, something like satellite, which is high latency and has speed that are all over the place on a good day. So, even when the technology at the server/datacenter level is there, and programmers have figured out how to utilize it, the pipe that will deliver it may not yet be there for a good portion of the population.

So, while the technology is anything but bullshit, it's also not mature enough to handle the promises that are being made, and still dependent on outside factors that could still hinder adoption of cloud computing to the level MS envisions.

weeeeezy

Banned
All you did was resort to a personal attack, I am not getting dragged into that nonsense. Again, the ways games are made, online infrastructure, having to always be online, no one is making games that would take advantage of the cloud even IF what ms said is true, which it isn't. Cloud can help in some small cases. 3 times as powerfull is cringe worthy bad PR>

Personal attack? I think you are way to busy responding to everyone confirming this is BS to see my other response to you.

Again, the ways games are made, online infrastructure, having to always be online, no one is making games that would take advantage of the cloud even IF what ms said is true, which it isn't. Cloud can help in some small cases. 3 times as powerfull is cringe worthy bad PR>
You keep saying "Always be online", but you need to be more specific. Do you mean specifically in game? If so, then yes, but with many games being multiplayer anyway thats not a big deal. Did you happen to see the MS demo of using the cloud and having more physics enabled by utilizing Azure? That is an example of what devs can do, but in the end its up to them to utilize it.

Marcel

For the people saying "this is true" I have a question:

We already know the Xbox 360 can use the cloud.

So does that mean an Xbox 360 connected to the cloud can be 3x as powerful as an XBO not connected to the cloud?

If what you're implying is true, I'm not sure why the government isn't powering our cyber defense servers with 360s and Xbox Ones. We're more vulnerable without the power of the Microsoft cloud on our side.

Majanew

Banned
Dear Microsoft, until you can prove this with a game that is out, or will be out soon, you really need to shut the fuck up. The cloud does nothing for FM5's AI, and nothing for Titanfall's god-awful screen tearing, frame-rate drops, 792p resolution. SHUT. UP.

Rolf NB

but that’s not all, as combining the the local machine with the cloud, the computational juice of roughly three Xbox ones units ccould be used.
Is that the figure for using all 300000 Azure nodes in parallel?

Top Bottom