• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1: Microsoft Claims that Cloud Computing Can Provide Power of 3 XB1's, 32 X360's

Hex

Banned
The number one best-selling game on the console uses MS cloud services and only works online. Many of the biggest games releasing this fall are similarly, always online, as Ubisoft is aggressively pursuing that angle and Activision is doing so with Destiny.

Though those same games are coincidentally being made for the other system also and not just to harness the cloud. In fact I believe that the other system is lead on Destiny, Watch Dogs and the Clancy game.

Sorry, but this one beat those in term of light family slice-of-life story

Well, we're talking about 'moe~' that can help sell Xboxes...

Kobo-chan isn't airing currently, unlike Sazae-san, Maruko-chan, Doraemon or Meitantei Conan.

Besides, Kobo could only dream to get the ratings that Sazae-san gets, which is the main point here.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
So let me get this straight, the cloud is only centralized server/data center to host games with a nifty buzzword.

Let me play devil's advocate since I am usually pretty critical of the XB1. Running AI I the cloud/dedicated server is a real benefit. Back when I played Battlefield 1942 I'd set up a dedicated sever so that I could play with more bots on the map than if one of the clients hosted the game. And I don't think that anyone is questioning that dedicated servers are a good thing for multiplayer games.

Now I realise that The Cloud isn't anything special. I used the term dedicated servers interchangeably with it and like I said I was using dedicate servers back in 2002. However we all know that setting up servers isn't trivial. If Microsoft has a reliable global system setup that is available to games for free or a reasonable price then that is a true advantage.

The cloud isn't going to help with graphics, and I have serious doubts that it will help with physics no matter what demo MS shows, but I do think AI could really benefit and allow for more numerous, complex, and persistent behaviour in both single and multiplayer games.

Dizzy

Banned
XboxOneCloud_03-670x372.jpg

Xbox One alien abduction?

Well what do you expect?? No one believes this nonsense because it is total nonsense, cloud computing like MS are talking is a decade plus away, 3 X x1 power? Please. Who would design a game that when you log off line the graphics AI degrades?? No publisher will waster their time.
That tricky "graphics AI".

Wut?

LOL

You're really working hard on the X1 thread attacks aren't you.

Microsoft has shown that Physics and AI can be handled by the cloud. Physics calculations for non-essiental things could greatly enhance some games.

You talked about baseless assumptions in another thread, yet seem to know any major improvement is "10 years away"

That's sparked an interest in the idea of a game that begins offline then moves online at certain points. Like the Wizard of Oz moving from B/W Kansas to technicolour Oz.

Start off with a simple wire-frame Rez, then move into a next gen physics-heavy Panzer Dragoon Orta. I know it sounds like i'm being facetious, but if they knocked up a working proof-of-concept that touched on something like that, it would sell the idea instantly.

Synth

We've had dedicated servers and bots for decades. It's not an exclusive feature for the xbone, it's been around since the Dreamcast went online, and the PC before that.

Did I say otherwise? The post I responded to was making claims that would suggest that these bots you're talking about wouldn't have actually worked.

Servers are servers at the end of the day, whether cloud based or dedicated. The main difference is that dedicated servers are rigid. You have to purchase an estimated load of them to handle whatever you're going to task them with. Purchase too many, and you lose money whilst they sit there empty. Purchase too few, and you get SimCity or BF4. Purchase the right amount but in the wrong locations, and your userbase gets shit connections. And when there are few people left, spread thinly and unpredictably across different regions? Your game's online functions get shut down.

Cloud servers help to deal with each of these scenarios by propping up service as they are required, in the region that they are required.. and releasing these resources once they are no longer necessary. Theoretically there wouldn't be much reason to ever discontinue a game's online in this case, as if their was only one group of friends playing one match once a year, only one server would be spun up to handle their game and the dev would only be billed for this single instance.

The idea itself isn't new, but it's not directly comparable to what we had back in the Dreamcast days, and does have plenty of advantages.

dakun

just pretend that this is actually possible... i think it's amazing how Microsoft acts like they own cloud computing and competition couldn't just do the same thing if the advantage really was that big.

This generation has started out being all about false advertising.

Hex

Banned
The question is and has been will devs find it worth it to bother putting the extra work in, even saying ms covered fees. Ms games may show a benefit, if tangible enough to make a difference to consumers... the jury will be out on that.

Synth

Are you equating "ping" with cpu processing? Pinging is basically just asking a question to the server to verify if there's a connection.

Are you implying that the AI processing is going to be so slow on the server, that it will add a significant additional delay for functionality that occurs almost instantly on the host machine?

So what seems to be the general reaction to this statement from the Japanese folk it was aimed at?

XboxOneCloud_02.jpg

"As a funny note of color, part of the Japanese audience watching online on Nico Nico Doga found the statement pretty amusing, as you can see by the comments overlayed in the picture [picture not pictured]. For those unfamiliar with Japanese internet lingo “w” is their equivalent of our “lol.”
It’s worth mentioning that the Nico Nico audience is always quite caustic and sarcastic, so this isn’t too surprising."

geordiemp

Thought experiment:

If Microsoft just about breaks even on each Xbox One, how expensive is it to have the equivalent processing power of three aditional units for each console sold?

Most sane and intelligent people get it, if a game launches and has 2 million players, nobody is going to have say 10 million TF of low ping cloud data centres near / local to all those players spread across USA / Europe and Asia...

Its bullshit, always has been and an insult to anyone with half a brain....MS need to stop this rubbish, its insulting

p3tran

Banned
just pretend that this is actually possible... i think it's amazing how Microsoft acts like they own cloud computing and competition couldn't just do the same thing if the advantage really was that big.

This generation has started out being all about false advertising.

well, yes... but given that microsoft already has one of the strongest cloud systems in the world, ready in-place and working, it sure gives them one advantage, doesnt it?

geordiemp

Aren't you guys bored of beating on them for the same dumb shit?

Look at the recent GAF Nintendo threads about corporate policy when talking to the market (the Nintendo indie guy for example)...

Contrast this with MS obviously have a policy where anybody from MS can talk bullshit about cloud compute in games, otherwise they would not do it.

Someone at MS needs to take responsibility...

To me its almost as bad as misterxmedia talking about stacked GPU / stereo drivers and hidden 5 TF of power in the XB1....its just as deceitful.

In a closed-door meeting called "Xbox 101" attended by GamesIndustry International, the company stressed that Xbox One has "the computational power of more than 10 Xbox 360 consoles," and that "the cloud brings infinite additional processing power."

From ten to eight, Infinite to three

It seems that with this whole cloud malarkey, coupled with the initial insistence on every xbone being permanently online, they are paving the way for a giant botnet. Mark my words, the xbox two will just be no more powerful than a zx81, but will connect to all other idling xbox twos to share the work. This will cheapen the hardware costs and do away with the expense of maintaining the cloud.

The Xboxes of the future aren’t just IN the cloud, they ARE the cloud!

Or something.. I dunno.. I’ve never actually played on any xbox so I doubt it will really affect me.

We went from not achievable at last years unveil. We are currently at "Maybe, but...".

Only six more months until damn, I need X1.

Synth

Most sane and intelligent people get it, if a game launches and has 2 million players, nobody is going to have say 10 million TF of low ping cloud data centres near / local to all those players spread across USA / Europe and Asia...

Its bullshit, always has been and an insult to anyone with half a brain....MS need to stop this rubbish, its insulting

I'd think most "sane and intelligent" people would realise that if a game like Titanfall sells 2 million copies, that doesn't equate to 2 million people playing online concurrently all day every day. Then there's also the fact that by being an online game, players are actually grouped together.. so we actually don't need to do unique calculations for every player, because when one person affects the game world, the result is valid for up to 11 other players! Amazing!

So, I'd recommend giving things a little more thought before claiming to have your intelligence insulted, and offering calculations such as 2 million players = 10 millions servers.

Dragon

Banned
Are you implying that the AI processing is going to be so slow on the server, that it will add a significant additional delay for functionality that occurs almost instantly on the host machine?

No. I'm just saying they're not really the same thing. In a ping you're sending a really small amount of bytes.

Code:
ping google.com
PING google.com (74.125.226.96): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 74.125.226.96: icmp_seq=0 ttl=50 time=54.879 ms

That's really not a lot of overhead to send back through a network. I'm sure there are more qualified people here but I'd think you'd have to send and receive more than 56/64 (varies on ping implmentation but I think you get the point) bytes respectively in order to do AI processing offloaded to a server hosted elsewhere.

If you're saying Azure servers are incredibly fast, I don't doubt it, I just wanted to make sure I understood what you meant.

That tricky "graphics AI".

Wut?

LOL

You're really working hard on the X1 thread attacks aren't you.

Microsoft has shown that Physics and AI can be handled by the cloud. Physics calculations for non-essiental things could greatly enhance some games.

You talked about baseless assumptions in another thread, yet seem to know any major improvement is "10 years away"

True

However, a fully dedicated, free to developers, dynamic server system is not a norm we've had.

Where have MS shown it anywhere? That's the issue, they have not, and their games continue to run worse then the ps4 versions. Titanfall would run at 1080p on ps4.

ypo

Since the 360 version of Titanfall uses the same Powha of da cloud does that make the 360 2.1x more powerful than the Xbone? Wow what a total failure the Xbone is.

geordiemp

So, I'd recommend giving things a little more thought before claiming to have your intelligence insulted, and offering calculations such as 2 million players = 10 millions servers.

Id recommend you read properly my post, I did not mention 10 million servers, I mentioned 10 million Terra Flops, which if Xb1 is say 1.3 TF that's 7 x the compute power of those 2 million consoles.

And spread around for low ping....nah...

Synth

No. I'm just saying they're not really the same thing. In a ping you're sending a really small amount of bytes.

Code:
ping google.com
PING google.com (74.125.226.96): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 74.125.226.96: icmp_seq=0 ttl=50 time=54.879 ms

That's really not a lot of overhead to send back through a network. I'm sure there are more qualified people here but I'd think you'd have to send and receive more than 56/64 (varies on ping implmentation but I think you get the point) bytes respectively in order to do AI processing offloaded to a server hosted elsewhere.

If you're saying Azure servers are incredibly fast, I don't doubt it, I just wanted to make sure I understood what you meant.

It would depend on what sort of response you're sending really. In regards to AI, you would likely only be sending the action the unit is required to take. This would be equivalent to any other player controlling their character within the game, and would be a tiny amount of data to send back. In an online game of chess the server would do all the hard thinking, and then would simply send back "G1-H3" to get the response back to the player.

molnizzle

WTF have they shown already? Titanfall and its laggy, brain dead AI? The same laggy, brain dead AI that's powered by the exact same Azure servers on Xbox 360 and PC?

Breaking news: every console from the past decade can connect to the Internet. Only one of them was recently released as severely underpowered compared to its competition.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

TyrantII

Aren't you guys bored of beating on them for the same dumb shit?

Seems they're not bored of pushing the same dumb shit and hoping to garner a few low information or gullible buyers.

I don't see how this is any different than bullshot/bulldemos, press integrity, or stealth promotional campaigns.

They're all a cancer in the industry, do harm to consumer value, and warp the market detrimentally.

Synth

Id recommend you read properly my post, I did not mention 10 million servers, I mentioned 10 million Terra Flops, which if Xb1 is say 1.3 TF that's 7 x the compute power of those 2 million consoles.

And spread around for low ping....nah...

Ah, I apologise... I did read over that incorrectly (I've heard that argument so many times, my mind automatically filled some of the words in..). I do still think the lack of concurrent players means the a game selling 2 millions would not need to be prepared for anywhere close to 2 millions players at one time. And as for the spread, this is exactly why the cloud implementation is preferable to standard server solutions. As long as Azure is up in that region, it'll likely be equipped to handle to load. You don't need to prepare servers ahead of time based on where you think the traffic will be coming from. Your argument is more one against standard dedicated servers than MS' cloud servers really. If 2 million people just jumped onto a new game, then it's likely that many of those people have just been subtracted from other online games. The cloud resources that were being allocated to those games can be immediately repurposed to handle the load for this new game.

Top Bottom