• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1: Microsoft Claims that Cloud Computing Can Provide Power of 3 XB1's, 32 X360's

It's old news and it's also true.

Go on, I would love to hear more. Can you explain a situation or example where the cloud could make an Xbox One 3 times more powerful? I mean, you say its true.. This whole 3x the power sounds like its a claim, where on paper, it is 3 times more powerful thanks to cloud power. But in the real world, we will never see this at all on the Xbox One. What type of game could use this? You still have internet speeds that will slow things down. I would love to see and example of how the cloud could make the Xbox One 3 times more powerful, in an actual way that is beneficial to consumers. Are we talking gaming? An app of some sort? It just sounds like the cloud could provide 3times the power, in an ideal situation, but its something we will never see happen. Its just buzzwords to try and attract consumers, but not something tangible that will ever be put to use. And I am not talking using the cloud to power grunts in Titanfall with that level of AI. I am talking 3 times more power than the actual Xbox One itself.

Since it's true, I mean, you said it, can you provide an example of this? I am more of a visual learner and I need to see it in action, instead of just being told. I cannot wrap my head around these claims, seems absurd in my book.

molnizzle

Go on, I would love to hear more. Can you explain a situation or example where the cloud could make an Xbox One 3 times more powerful? I mean, you say its true..

Since it's true, can you provide an example of this? I cannot wrap my head around these claims, seems absurd in my book.

Didn't you hear? The power of the cloud is what allowed Titanfall to ship at 792p/45fps with hellish screen tearing. Without the cloud, it would have only been 720p/45fps with hellish screen tearing.

dat power!!

Darksol

信じない。Not until they actually prove it by implementing it in an actual game. No more bullshit, no staged tech demos, an actual game. Give me a reason to believe you.

Pbae

The way I see it I think it's all part of the plan. One of my favorite movies growing up was The Fast and the Furious and anyone whose seen that movie should remember the first time Vin Diesel races Paul Walker.

I like to think that race has a lot of parallel to these two consoles. See in the race Paul Walker has a souped-up Mitsubishi Eclipse. It's cutting edge, sleek, and at the very last minute gets a huge upgrade of NOS (enough NOS to blow himself up, period). On the other hand, Vin Diesel's ride is a sweet Mazda RX-7 that looks fast but nothing out of the ordinary. Except, he really does have NOS and it's a secret just like the Cloud TM. When the race begins, Paul Walker is all like, ""beepity bloopity bleep" on his ride's computer and totally in the lead, but Vin Diesel has experience, dat directX experience, and he totally times when and where to push it to the limit and wins. The Wii U is all like "MOOONNNNIIICCCCCAAAAAA" because he lost and that Asian kid might have won if he played Forza instead of the Gran Turismo.

So what's the point of all that? It's all fiction and bullshit and no one gives a shit about the RX-7 because the Eclipse was hella dope yo.

Synth

Didn't you hear? The power of the cloud is what allowed Titanfall to ship at 792p/45fps with hellish screen tearing. Without the cloud, it would have only been 720p/45fps with hellish screen tearing.

dat power!!

Without it, it would probably run very similar, but not have AI units other than Auto-Titans.

Truespeed

The lies....the fucking lies....they continue, but in another country. They really don't need to resort to this fallacy, but they do again and again.

gemoran4

You know, do I think Microsoft is neccesarily lying? No, i'm sure there are some performance metrics where given a certain set of conditions they could use the cloud to achieve that kind of theoretical performance.

Do I believe we, as consumers, will see our XB1's triple in power because of microsoft's cloud? I'm not convinced. They haven't proven that's been the case so far anyways.

Lol.. I knew seeing this would make the other side have a 90 page thread again on this.

Haven't we gone over this before? I guess there's not much to talk about.

Go on, I would love to hear more. Can you explain a situation or example where the cloud could make an Xbox One 3 times more powerful? I mean, you say its true.. This whole 3x the power sounds like its a claim, where on paper, it is 3 times more powerful thanks to cloud power. But in the real world, we will never see this at all on the Xbox One. What type of game could use this? You still have internet speeds that will slow things down. I would love to see and example of how the cloud could make the Xbox One 3 times more powerful, in an actual way that is beneficial to consumers. Are we talking gaming? An app of some sort?

Since it's true, I mean, you said it, can you provide an example of this? I am more of a visual learner and I need to see it in action, instead of just being told. I cannot wrap my head around these claims, seems absurd in my book.

You need it explained more? The link is in the first post. http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04...an-provide-power-of-3-xbox-ones-32-xbox-360s/

Synth

The way I see it I think it's all part of the plan. One of my favorite movies growing up was The Fast and the Furious and anyone whose seen that movie should remember the first time Vin Diesel races Paul Walker.

I like to think that race has a lot of parallel to these two consoles. See in the race Paul Walker has a souped-up Mitsubishi Eclipse. It's cutting edge, sleek, and at the very last minute gets a huge upgrade of NOS (enough NOS to blow himself up, period). On the other hand, Vin Diesel's ride is a sweet Mazda RX-7 that looks fast but nothing out of the ordinary. Except, he really does have NOS and it's a secret just like the Cloud TM. When the race begins, Paul Walker is all like, ""beepity bloopity bleep" on his ride's computer and totally in the lead, but Vin Diesel has experience, dat directX experience, and he totally times when and where to push it to the limit and wins. The Wii U is all like "MOOONNNNIIICCCCCAAAAAA" because he lost and that Asian kid might have won if he played Forza instead of the Gran Turismo.

So what's the point of all that? It's all fiction and bullshit and no one gives a shit about the RX-7 because the Eclipse was hella dope yo.

Fantastic post. :)

DieH@rd

Banned
xboxonecloud_02copyijdpq.jpg

Synth

Oh, so TF would be 264p and run at ~20fps without the power of the cloud?

Outrun Online Arcade runs at 720p and ~60fps offline, with AI traffic.
Outrun Online Arcade runs at 720p and ~60fps online, but without AI traffic.

That is likely what the difference here would have been.

Marcel

This is Japan so Initial D rules apply. All the fast cars eventually get beat by the AE86 (Nintendo, maybe not idk)?

This shit again, we know what cloud computing is Microsoft, and to get that much out of cloud computing you would need the equivalent of three xbox ones waiting for everyone to access. At that point why didn't you just make the fucking Xbox One more powerful, it would be more efficient.

Pbae

This is Japan so Initial D rules apply. All the fast cars eventually get beat by the AE86 (Nintendo, maybe not idk)?

Sorry =[

I never really watched or read Initial D though the arcade game was hella dope yo.

Maybe I'll edit the analogy with Tokyo Drift?

Lol.. I knew seeing this would make the other side have a 90 page thread again on this.

Haven't we gone over this before? I guess there's not much to talk about.

You need it explained more? The link is in the first post. http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04...an-provide-power-of-3-xbox-ones-32-xbox-360s/

Lol, I was wanting TechnicPuppet to explain it, other than the stuff Microsoft is claiming. He was backing up the claim, so either he totally believes that article, and that is his proof that this is true. Or he has a more specific example of how this works. I just thought he may have some other information since he was saying what Microsoft was saying was true. Microsoft has said a lot of things, that is for sure.

Marcel

Sorry =[

I never really watched or read Initial D though the arcade game was hella dope yo.

Maybe I'll edit the analogy with Tokyo Drift?

Tokyo Drift might be more fitting. Gotta factor in the Drift King into your analysis.

Jburton

Banned
The number one best-selling game on the console uses MS cloud services and only works online. Many of the biggest games releasing this fall are similarly, always online, as Ubisoft is aggressively pursuing that angle and Activision is doing so with Destiny.

Destiny is a PS4 lead, in fact most if not all 3rd party games will be PS4 lead.

Are we expecting devs to exclusively develop features that use Azure for the non lead platform?

Mass adoption of Azure would have been dependent upon X1 being the biggest selling platform and the lead development platform this gen ...... even then it would still not be a given.

The benefits are negligible and even less tangible than 1080 vs 900 / 720.

Titanfall using Azure has poor performance and serious tearing, offloading the AI (if you could call it that) did not help the X1 perform any better at all ....... pings are not what MS is selling Azure on.

koutoru

No Microsoft, you're doing it wrong. You should be hiring a Japanese pop idol to sing and dance about how she loves Xbox One.
JK

At this rate, it's going to be interesting seeing how populated the Titanfall servers in Japan are.

Synth

Are we expecting devs to exclusively develop features that use Azure for the non lead platform?

That depends really. Didn't Uncharted 3 use Amazon's AWS for its online functionality. If developers decide to go with cloud based server hosting instead of dedicated servers for an online game, and MS are willing to provide the servers for the Xbox One version free, would it not make sense to go with Azure over other alternatives to save some money?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Outrun Online Arcade runs at 720p and ~60fps offline, with AI traffic.
Outrun Online Arcade runs at 720p and ~60fps online, but without AI traffic.

That is likely what the difference here would have been.

OH you are being serious? Sorry, AI has been done locally since the 80s, there is no reason offloading traffic to the cloud would help more than it can hurt. Look at TF's AI, it is but dumb and other FPS do it better on older consoles. Trying to offload the CPU with such simple tasks is for PR only it seems.

Synth

Probably. The PC can easily get around the issue by simply letting individual users host dedicated games. However it's extremely unlikely that such core design functionality would make it into one version and not any of the others. So unless the game was to be PC exclusive, it's unlikely it would have ended up the same.

Other advance answers.
PS3 - Yes.
PS4 - Yes.

:)

If 2 million people just jumped onto a new game, then it's likely that many of those people have just been subtracted from other online games. The cloud resources that were being allocated to those games can be immediately repurposed to handle the load for this new game.

Not really. New games tend to draw more people to play that wouldn't ordinarily be playing. So any game that made heavy use of Azure could expect to have pretty bad performance for the first week or so during prime time. So the question becomes, do the servers have the extra capacity to handle the demand at these peak times that won't be need for the rest of the time?

Also you made the case that online games aren't as affected by having more people on because many people share the world and thus would share the computations. I agree to a point. However if the game was trying to physics calculations in the cloud, then the server needs to be able to do those calculations for every character since they could be affecting the world at the same time. In a 64 player map for instance, all 64 players could be destroying something that required physics calculations at the same time just like would happen if they were in 64 single player games.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
OH you are being serious? Sorry, AI has been done locally since the 80s, there is no reason offloading traffic to the cloud would help more than it can hurt. Look at TF's AI, it is but dumb and other FPS do it better on older consoles. Trying to offload the CPU with such simple tasks is for PR only it seems.

Err what? What? Please tell you've played a game that uses dedicated uses before because almost all mmo's etc off load AI to servers. Titanfalls AI is dumb because they are designed to be cannon fodder, it's certainly possible to have AI run on servers comparable to those run locally.

Synth

Since this is essentially the exact same claim you made in the previous Respawn thread, I'm just going to quote the response I gave as I'm guessing your lack of a reply meant you hadn't seen it.

*sigh*... Why would you bump this topic just to make such a pointless claim?

As has been mentioned before. Outrun has local AI, why is the traffic not in the online mode, despite traffic being the whole point of Outrun? Sonic and SEGA Allstars racing has Allstar moves locally, why are they not in the multiplayer, despite it being one of the core aspects of the game?

Things you can do locally, are not always going to work peer-2-peer. If Titanfall was a p2p game, then one of the Xboxes is going to end up responsible for EVERY AI UNIT in the game (except other players Titans, I'd imagine each console would handle their own Titan). This means that if this host player lags, it will effect every AI unit in the game causing this to happen everywhere on the map...

ipNEAqpA3XP5p.gif

Out of curiosity... how many games can you actually list that are p2p, and do the things Titanfall does?

Also keep in mind that when you play something like Gears or Killzone, the AI for the enemies gets triggered as you reach certain points in the level. They're not running the AI for every enemy in the stage at all times. Outrun doesn't have this luxury when online, and Titanfall also doesn't. the AI needs to be continually processed regardless of if you are in its vicinity or not.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Not really. New games tend to draw more people to play that wouldn't ordinarily be playing. So any game that made heavy use of Azure could expect to have pretty bad performance for the first week or so during prime time. So the question becomes, do the servers have the extra capacity to handle the demand at these peak times that won't be need for the rest of the time?

Also you made the case that online games aren't as affected by having more people on because many people share the world and thus would share the computations. I agree to a point. However if the game was trying to physics calculations in the cloud, then the server needs to be able to do those calculations for every character since they could be affecting the world at the same time. In a 64 player map for instance, all 64 players could be destroying something that required physics calculations at the same time just like would happen if they were in 64 single player games.

The game would be running on virtual servers not physical servers. When the playerbase reduces Microsoft can reducing the number and size of virtual servers and use them for whatever they want. That's the whole point of cloud computing.

Top Bottom