• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

The 360 ones have been disappointing for a few month, the bc requirement has hurt the 360 gwg imo which is a shame. There's been a few good ones but compared to what was being offered before.. there's a drop in quality.

Understandable as there's not a huge list of BC games in the first place but still pretty disappointing.

I don't understand this sentiment. I think there has been maybe two months I didn't get at least one game I was interested in, and I've been there since the beginning.

What games would have to be available for you to not be disappointed?

Special C

Having a hard time getting into Styx. Is it more fun just going straight toward the end of the levels rather than trying to collect everything? I find the exploration tedious.

MMaRsu

Banned
I don't understand this sentiment. I think there has been maybe two months I didn't get at least one game I was interested in, and I've been there since the beginning.

What games would have to be available for you to not be disappointed?

The bc 360 games that have been up in gwg havent been great in recent months because they would give out great 360 games that arent BC before.

I realize I'm a bit late on this but I actually finally got around to playing Hand of Fate, and I'm significantly more impressed with it than I thought I'd be. The card-based metagame adds an extremely interesting dimension to what would otherwise be old-hat Arkhamesque combat; for instance, 4th mission, tried to flee from an angry mob rather than hand over half my food. Naturally, I failed. They took 2 pieces of equipment, a unit of food (heh), and 10% off my max health. One of the equipment pieces? My only shield.

Now, of course I crashed and burned shortly afterwards, but trying to make it work without the ability to counter was fascinating. Very cool game.

Chris1

Was just about to post asking if Supreme Commander was available for anyone yet lol, still isn't up for me.

Been taking a long time this month, it's usually up in about 10-15 minutes for me.

Edit: Oh yeah the deals with gold change over today too, could be why it's so slow.

The bc 360 games that have been up in gwg havent been great in recent months because they would give out great 360 games that arent BC before.

Yeah, I understand that the 360 games chosen now have to be BC, but that still doesn't make total sense to me. The pool of games possible have to be available digitally (hence no multi-disc games), so you wouldn't get them even if they were BC. Any other game can be a candidate - barring license issues - and according to Microsoft, it only takes a bit of effort to get a title compatible.

So it seems that the complaint is that only the currently existing pool of BC games is terrible and that certain games that are not currently BC, but yet could be, are what it would take for the monthly choices to not be disappointing. So I'm asking what games would have to be offered for it to not be a disappointment every month. Just games you don't own, or a specific quality? Publisher? Franchise?

So I'm asking what games would have to be offered for it to not be a disappointment every month. Just games you don't own, or a specific quality? Publisher? Franchise?

Not directed toward me, but got me thinking about what games I'd like to see on GWG or BC. I'd like anything I have any interest in playing, which is not BC already. Even if I own it already, it being on GWG would mean it would be BC. I came up with 53 games.

It's worth noting, Borderlands would have been on the list, had it not already been confirmed for GWG. I own it on disc, but now I can get it digitally, and play it on my XB1.

Has anybody beaten The Dealer in Hand of Fate?

I was really enjoying the game up until this point. Games aren't fun when you have to hit the same enemy over 50 times before they die (unless it's a boss).

It's ridiculous, even without being cursed with inferior damage it still takes an age to kill just one man.

Has anybody beating The Dealer in Hand of Fate?

I was really enjoying the game up until this point. Games aren't fun when you have to hit the same enemy over 50 times before they die (unless it's a boss).

It's ridiculous, even without being cursed with inferior damage it still takes an age to kill just one man.

I kind of gave up on this game the level before that one. Tried it a few times and they just threw too much bullshit at me for it to feel like a fair fight anymore. It's too bad because I was having a lot of fun with the game up until that point.

AyzOn

Neo Member
I have a question.
My younger brother owns the xbone and he wasnt able to download any of the BC games yet.
Do you have to own them with your Account already to get access to it?
I havent seen an option to get 360 games on the xbone yet.

Could someone explain how that whole thing works? (he has Gold, if that matters.)

I have a question.
My younger brother owns the xbone and he wasnt able to download any of the BC games yet.

Could someone explain how that whole thing works? (he has Gold, if that matters.)

You can only purchase 360 games on a 360or through the Xbox.com site (you need a credit/debit card for that route). For some reason you can't acquire 360 games on the One.

Has anybody beating The Dealer in Hand of Fate?

I'm still stuck on the King of Dust ;__;

Might have to turn down the difficulty a notch, lol. Warlord is as much about luck as it is about skill.

I have a question.

For backwards compatible games, you have to own them with your account, or have the disc. If you own the digital version, it should show up in the "ready to install" section of "My Games & Apps". If you own it on disc, put the xbox 360 disc into the Xbox One and that should let you download the BC version of the game.

You can't buy the Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One yet. This feature is being tested in the dashboard preview starting today, and will probably be out in a month or so. Until then, Xbox 360 games have to be bought from an Xbox 360, or from xbox.com. (I think you need a credit card attached to the account to do it on the web.)

I'm pretty sure you don't need Gold for any of this.

AyzOn

Neo Member
Alright, thank you guys for enlightening me. :)

So if I got that right, to get those free 360 games you have to "buy" them via the Xbox marketplace if you don't own a 360 console.

The 360 ones have been disappointing for a few month, the bc requirement has hurt the 360 gwg imo which is a shame. There's been a few good ones but compared to what was being offered before.. there's a drop in quality.

Understandable as there's not a huge list of BC games in the first place but still pretty disappointing.

I erred when I posted that, because I forgot about Borderlands being one of the games. I was mixed up.

Borderlands is one of the best 360 games. But Supreme Commander doesn't interest me at all.

Oynox

You know what would be great? The Lord of the Rings - Battle for Middle Earth 2. Jeez, I have such a hard time finding that, it would be absolutely fantastic to get it with Games with Gold. But nah, that is not gonna happen very likely.

I'm somewhat surprised that Sherlock runs at 30 fps. It's not exactly the most taxing ue3 game, you'd think it would run a bit better on the xb1.

Still, beats playing the ps+ version on the ps3 that I have.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
You know what would be great? The Lord of the Rings - Battle for Middle Earth 2. Jeez, I have such a hard time finding that, it would be absolutely fantastic to get it with Games with Gold. But nah, that is not gonna happen very likely.
That would be fantastic, I still pop that in my 360 from time to time. Online for that is shut down for that though. Not to mention EA no longer has the licence. So I'd say it's more impossible than very unlikely :(

Zeta Oni

Don't understand how you can look at this months GWG and give it the same treatment as previous months that were actually lackluster.

Sherlock Holmes is solid.

Lords of the fallen is AA Dark Souls lite.

I don't know much about supreme commander.

Borderlands is great.

None of these games fall into that "oh more indie titles" complaint people like to throw around (that i disagree with), and there's quite a variety of genres being represented here.

Overall I'd say this month s pretty great, and that's coming from someone who owns 3 of the 4 already.

Just finished Crimes and Punishments: Sherlock Holmes. I really enjoyed it more than I ever thought I would. I highly recommend giving it a try.

I'm definitely picking up the follow up.

Chris1

Just finished Crimes and Punishments: Sherlock Holmes. I really enjoyed it more than I ever thought I would. I highly recommend giving it a try.

I'm definitely picking up the follow up.

Haven't played much of it but really enjoyed what I played too, definitely one of the better GWG's they have given out.

jobrro

New games are up

Lords of the Fallen (XB1):
https://store.xbox.com/en-GB/Xbox-One/Games/Lords-of-the-Fallen/a41ee8d2-7713-4464-9294-68d65cb53c41

Borderlands (XB1&360):
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Borderlands/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802545407e7
(If Borderlands doesn't show up as free wait a bit and try again or press ctrl+F5 after logging in)

Thanks, added to my library. Hoping MS will update their site soon to have a 'Download to Xbox One' option for BC titles.

Figments

I'm actually kind of enjoying the hell out of Lords of the Fallen so far. It's not as difficult as Souls, no, but it does seem just a bit more visceral, and I really like that aspect of it.

Top Bottom