• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360: Download Full version of Fable II for free.

OMG Aero said:
So how long did the episode 1 part last before? I managed to download Fable 2 when this thread was posted and just had a quick go on it. I did unlock some achievements and got to a part where you leave a camp to go into an old tomb.
That is the start of ep2 I believe, ep1 is just in the town as a kid.

ACE 1991

So are people getting the 'This item is not available for purchase from Xbox LIVE Marketplace on the Web.' message like myself hosed?

divisionbyzorro said:
So are Knothole Island and See the Future worth it? I'm thinking about picking them up since I got this for free.
Unless you really enjoy Fable II and are itching for some more, no. Both have some interesting ideas but they are poorly fleshed out.

Knothole is a visual treat that is nice first time through, but once you've got all the items there isn't really anything to do. See The Future had great potential but Oakvale remains empty once you've cleared the quest and there is no reason to ever return. If they had spent a little more time on the DLC and repopulated Oakvale after the quest it would have been worth the purchase.

KevinCow

Banned
Is anyone else who did this getting some major controller lag? No matter what I press, there's like a quarter-second delay before the game reacts. It's really annoying. Is that just how the game is?

OMG Aero said:
So how long did the episode 1 part last before? I managed to download Fable 2 when this thread was posted and just had a quick go on it. I did unlock some achievements and got to a part where you leave a camp to go into an old tomb.

MarshMellow96 said:
Where does the demo area end?

Episode 1 ended after beating the bandit, so you can enter Bowerstone, demo ends there, it won't let you enter.

But if you already got achivements, you are fine, no need to check that much.

KevinCow said:
Is anyone else who did this getting some major controller lag? No matter what I press, there's like a quarter-second delay before the game reacts. It's really annoying. Is that just how the game is?
I think its framerate related. When i played Episode 1 back when it first released I noticed this as well. sad to see this still holds true in the full game...

pakkit

Banned
Fable II's intro is awful. Not as terribly paced as Twilight Princess, but the plot takes such predictable turns it feels longer.

bj00rn_

Banned
The link worked with me as well (Norway). I already own the game on disc but it's nice to be able to play without inserting the disc (and to pay extra just for that)..

Hmm I can't remember if I've already bought this or if that was Fable 1. Hopefully I bought the first one so I can have them both on the HDD. Thanks OP!

Mr YuYu said:
Still working for u then? Seems like it has been removed over here (belgium)
It hasn't worked at all in Belgium, I think. I tried saturday, when I heard about it, and it didn't work. I tried again on sunday and today, but no dice.

When I try to download it on my Active Downloads queue it gives me the error:

Can't retrieve information from Xbox LIVE. Please try again later.

Status code: 80150101

Hmm is it my shitty internet or has MS gotten wise?

Edit: D/L has started, albeit slowly, so this still works in the US. Double checked the Marketplace and turns out I've already bought Fable, it's nice to have both now. :)

Everdred

MMaRsu said:
Did you try the link in the OP?
Yeah, just says something about how its not available from the web.

EDIT: "This item is not available for purchase from Xbox LIVE Marketplace on the web"

Everdred said:
How are you people getting this to work? I'm in US and the web version doesn't work and the XBL one says $20

It didn't work in Chrome(xbox.com never does for me) so I used Firefox. Logged into my account, copy/pasted the link, scrolled down and clicked the big green 'Download to Xbox360' button.

They've fixed this a long time ago. This thread needs to be locked.

EDIT. I guess it still works. If that's the case then people who downloaded Episode 1 when it was still up, can download the full game through their download history.

masterkajo

AndyMoogle said:
They've fixed this a long time ago. This thread needs to be locked.

EDIT. I guess it still works. If that's the case then people who downloaded Episode 1 when it was still up, can download the full game through their download history.
That's true! It worked for me this way. I already downloaded Episode 1 some time ago. Now under 'Download History' I get to redownload it again but this time it says FULL GAME and it is 6.6GB.

Central Europe here.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
masterkajo said:
That's true! It worked for me this way. I already downloaded Episode 1 some time ago. Now under 'Download History' I get to redownload it again but this time it says FULL GAME and it is 6.6GB.

Central Europe here.

Oh, so I get to keep the full game for free because I downloaded Episode one a year or so ago? Thanks, MS! :lol

fernoca

***UPDATE***
Seems it was finally fixed.
If you click the link, it (finally) appears as 'Fable II Episode I'.

Now here's the kicker.
Basically, if you downloaded it already, you have the full game.
If you add it to the queue (now) or go to your Download/Purchase History, even when it says 'Full Game' on the description; when you click on it it takes you to the Episode I download page.

So yeah. As long as you have it on your HDD/USB, you have a "free copy" of Fable II. Otherwise, is just the demo.

At least in the US, maybe people from other regions can check and post their results.

5wbh8k.png

2dw7jb.png

So, in summary:
  1. If you didn't dowloaded the full game and just added it to the purchase history it will be a demo; at least in the US.
  2. If you erase it and try to download it later, you will just download Episode I.

Says my saved profile is out of date. Can someone clarify on how get this work? The save file I have was from the Platinum Hits version with the DLC, I've downloaded the FREE episodes- not the premium. Is that the problem?

Sorry for the bump as this is dead now. =/

Unicorn

I'm on DSL so it has been downloading the last few days. Today I turn my xbox on and it was at 98% then went to 99 and has been stuck there for a couple hours. Wtf? Queued it up on Friday and started the D/L Monday.

Square Triangle said:
Says my saved profile is out of date. Can someone clarify on how get this work? The save file I have was from the Platinum Hits version with the DLC, I've downloaded the FREE episodes- not the premium. Is that the problem?

Sorry for the bump as this is dead now. =/
Unless you have the paid dlc installed your safe wont work, same with me so I just started a new file, a shame but I don't want to pay for dlc right now with fable 3 so close.

I put Fable II in my DL queue when it first went free, but since I've tried to download the game and it just says my device is full even though I have an extra 5gb free beyond the 7 I need already. Did MS patch this?

Unicorn

Just got disconnected from LIIVE. Did the test and I can connect to the net and download the live "packets" but it won't let me sign in with my GT... could it be a temp ban to cancel my d/l that's stuuck at 99% or just some bad luck? Anyone else experience something similar?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
From what I understand, they killed it officially. If you were in the middle of a download, it just stopped. If you try to add it again from your queue on the website, it won't let you and if you do it from your console it downloads the demo.

Unicorn

firehawk12 said:
From what I understand, they killed it officially. If you were in the middle of a download, it just stopped. If you try to add it again from your queue on the website, it won't let you and if you do it from your console it downloads the demo.
Wow. I was literally at 99%. :C

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Ok, so I added it to my que originally and I started the download, but exited it about 5 minutes in because i had to go do something. I clicked redownload and it ended up charging me. I don't want to pay for the game since Im not a big Fable fan, is there any way I can get the charge canceled or am I out 20 bucks?

fernoca

Spider from Mars said:
Ok, so I added it to my que originally and I started the download, but exited it about 5 minutes in because i had to go do something. I clicked redownload and it ended up charging me. I don't want to pay for the game since Im not a big Fable fan, is there any way I can get the charge canceled or am I out 20 bucks?
Though you could've let the console downloading with the option to auto-turn off when finished.

In any case, try calling Microsoft and explain that your intention was to downlaod the demo (Episode I) and that when you returned and tried downloading it again, it was the full version.

Don't finish the download and don't start the game just in case.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
fernoca said:
Though you could've let the console downloading with the option to auto-turn off when finished.

In any case, try calling Microsoft and explain that your intention was to downlaod the demo (Episode I) and that when you returned and tried downloading it again, it was the full version.

Don't finish the download and don't start the game just in case.
Haha yea, I kept clicking B while saying no no no no when i realized it had charged me the full game. I will just call them tomorrow.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Welp, called them up and they said that on terms of use it says all transactions are final so it looks like Fable 2 is mine :(. But she reassured me that it is a good game and she has been playing it so I will love it.

So I just beat the game yesterday morning. It was a good 20-30 hours and even though it had it's few flaws It was an entertaining experience.

Will wait and see how Fable III stacks up before I buy.

Uh, can someone help me out here? I picked up Fable II on Xbox.com when it was available for free, it said it would be sent to my Xbox next time I signed in to Live. I signed on tonight and... I don't see it downloading anywhere. The Live Marketplace doesn't show any indication that i've already bought it, even though I did:

bANKT.png

When I click on "Add to queue" it gives me that message above about it not being available, even though it is still available to buy.

Zombie James said:
Uh, can someone help me out here? I picked up Fable II on Xbox.com when it was available for free, it said it would be sent to my Xbox next time I signed in to Live. I signed on tonight and... I don't see it downloading anywhere. The Live Marketplace doesn't show any indication that i've already bought it, even though I did:

bANKT.png

When I click on "Add to queue" it gives me that message above about it not being available, even though it is still available to buy.

Is it in your download history?

fernoca

Zombie James said:

http://imgur.com/bANKT.png

It was fixed. I even provided pics of it showing that if you never downloaded it, or if you delete it, you can't download it again.
(thanks vazel ;p)

fernoca said:
***UPDATE***
Seems it was finally fixed.
If you click the link, it (finally) appears as 'Fable II Episode I'.

Now here's the kicker.
Basically, if you downloaded it already, you have the full game.
If you add it to the queue (now) or go to your Download/Purchase History, even when it says 'Full Game' on the description; when you click on it it takes you to the Episode I download page.

So yeah. As long as you have it on your HDD/USB, you have a "free copy" of Fable II. Otherwise, is just the demo.

At least in the US, maybe people from other regions can check and post their results.

5wbh8k.png

2dw7jb.png

So, in summary:
  1. If you didn't dowloaded the full game and just added it to the purchase history it will be a demo; at least in the US.
  2. If you erase it and try to download it later, you will just download Episode I.

OK, weird, I rebooted my 360 and it's showing up as "Unknown Game" on my hard drive. I checked the active downloads and it's downloading now, 6.59GB.

fernoca

Zombie James said:
OK, weird, I rebooted my 360 and it's showing up as "Unknown Game" on my hard drive. I checked the active downloads and it's downloading now, 6.59GB.
Then you're lucky. :p
Enjoy it and don't delete it if you want to keep it.

Top Bottom