• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox b/c support has swayed me to buy the X

Riven326

Banned
I really care about backwards compatibility. It's about the only aspect of my PS4 experience that I felt was lacking. PS Now is... a joke. The monthly fee is outrageous and the catalog of games is piss poor.

The more I've been reading about b/c support on Xbox, the more I've been thinking about picking up the X when it becomes available again. I was going to go PC this gen. That was until I had a look at graphics card prices. Yikes. :messenger_dizzy:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Some downplay it, but it really has turned into a major selling point, with how they’re treating it.

At some point, overnight, an Xbox turned from a box you buy to get the latest Xbox stuff, to a box you buy to get all the Xbox stuff (exaggeration for effect — I know some games are missing), a lot of it in modern fidelity.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
PS5 at least has full PS4 BC support. For me personally, there are more PS4 games I would want to play than all past Xbox consoles combined.

I'll own all the consoles regardless. I just don't see me spending much time playing decades old games on them.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Same OP. XBSX for BC (and enhancements) and PS5 because they seem closer to bringing next gen titles. Not sure where MS would be without BC/Game Pass. I guess third-party but even with those Sony has swooped in and picked up some exclusive content. Really odd launch for MS but I am still buying in.

T-Cake

I'm a tad disappointed that the Xbox Series consoles don't have a little boot animation for Xbox One games. I know this is due to not using the emulator but it would still have been nice. They don't even appear to be putting "Xbox One" labels on the games to distinguish them from Xbox Series-only titles. (Maybe because there aren't any yet?)

CrysisFreak

Banned
It's another episode of "dude check out my thoughts on next-gen that need a separate thread instead of using the next-gen thread because I have the same thing to say as the two hundred guys before me lmao but seriously you know what you should roll with an Xbox and not with CorporateStation 5 trust me"

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Wow, this was threadworthy. Can we get a post from every user telling us how they convinced themselves to pick a console?

Those posts would be far more delightful than anything you've ever posted.

I really care about backwards compatibility. It's about the only aspect of my PS4 experience that I felt was lacking. PS Now is... a joke. The monthly fee is outrageous and the catalog of games is piss poor.

The more I've been reading about b/c support on Xbox, the more I've been thinking about picking up the X when it becomes available again. I was going to go PC this gen. That was until I had a look at graphics card prices. Yikes. :messenger_dizzy:

Its a good feature OP. SSX 3 on one x is amazing.

BigLee74

It's another episode of "dude check out my thoughts on next-gen that need a separate thread instead of using the next-gen thread because I have the same thing to say as the two hundred guys before me lmao but seriously you know what you should roll with an Xbox and not with CorporateStation 5 trust me"

Nobody wants to go into the next gen thread... Its dark and scary in there.

Pallas

If GAF was the vocal majority , you’d believe BC was a waste of time and no one wants it.

Glad you are going enjoy enhance BC on the next Xbox, OP. Both consoles are gonna make current gen games look even better, but it’s going to be fun to see those older games from the OG and 360 Xbox being played on Series S and even more on Series X.

You can literally pick out a dozen or more threads made for both Xbox and PlayStation next gen console news that could be put there. Don’t blast OP for something that everyone else seems to be doing.

intbal

BC was great during this generation. But I've now played all those games multiple times.
Since Microsoft has now locked the library for OG and 360 games, BC doesn't have much value for me. Even if auto-hdr is added, I can't see myself playing KOTOR for a 13th time.

geordiemp

But you said that you already game on Xbox X. Make up your mind, so your switching to Microsoft when you already game on Microsoft.

Some games on the Pro or the X allow me to choose between 1080p, 1440p, and 4k. The latter looks noticeably better than the others. Even checkerboard rendering looks significantly better.

But the real issue here is that the Switch doesn't have an internal upscaler. Hence no 4k output option. This means you're relying on the display to upscale everything and they do a mediocre job. Sony tv's are an exception.

The truth is, I want my games to look good when I'm playing them. Low resolution games that are full of jaggies, I find too distracting. It's akin to playing a game that's constantly dropping frames.

Romulus

Wow, this was threadworthy. Can we get a post from every user telling us how they convinced themselves to pick a console?

Maybe everyone will do this and we can have thousands of threads. Of course BC will sway some, just like Sonys first party will sway more.

Hustler

And you’ll probably use BC 1-2% of the time. Sure it’s a nice to have, but beyond the previous generation I don’t go back and play old games very often. Also I have those consoles I would play games on still. But hope you enjoy your new ecosystem of games!

Trogdor1123

I'm kinda feeling the same way but I decided (finally) to go with a ps5. I'm hoping that Sony surprises me and has good support for BC beyond the games simply working... It probably won't but fingers crossed.

CAB_Life

But you said that you already game on Xbox X. Make up your mind, so your switching to Microsoft when you already game on Microsoft.

To be fair, lots of us have both current gen systems and are choosing only one—initially—for purchase. I’m in the same boat with Pro + X1X > XSX. Pretty much for the same reasons + GamePass too. There’s a dearth of real next-gen software on both machines and will be for some time (no DS isn’t enough for me, sorry). So playing the stuff you already have with higher fidelity or even just putting a dent in that backlog is worth it for many.

Riven326

Banned
The X sits. I play Halo on it sometimes. But I prefer the PS4, and so it gets 99% of the playtime. I've only owned the X for about a year. I've had a PS4 since 2014 and a Pro since 2017. I would say I've been a PlayStation guy this gen.

Personally I don't buy consoles based on backwards compatibility, I do think it would be a good idea for Microsoft to make the gamepass library much bigger by adding a lot more backwards compatible games to it. and I think it'd be cool if it became popular because it might kick Sony's ass into gear when it comes to PS3 backwards compatibility. some people might want all the way back to PS1 but to me the real hurdle for them would be PS3 because of the unique CPU in it. they already emulate PS1 and PS2 games fine and sell them on the PSN store for PS4. I know they have PS now but it's just not good enough.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Personally I don't buy consoles based on backwards compatibility, I do think it would be a good idea for Microsoft to make the gamepass library much bigger by adding a lot more backwards compatible games to it. and I think it'd be cool if it became popular because it might kick Sony's ass into gear when it comes to PS3 backwards compatibility. some people might want all the way back to PS1 but to me the real hurdle for them would be PS3 because of the unique CPU in it. they already emulate PS1 and PS2 games fine and sell them on the PSN store for PS4. I know they have PS now but it's just not good enough.

Just a lot more of PS1 and PS2, alongside disc compatibility, if possible, would be cool. I feel like sensible people understand the PS3 situation, and can explain it to others who aren’t aware.

Last edited:
Congrats on coming to this enlightening conclusion OP, did this guy help you from this thread?

I think its obvious that sony doesn't want a direct comparison between the consoles. The Size/Loading/30% power gap. All of it looks...

Butthurt from the console supporters of a 30% weaker console.

Not just that, but a smaller box that has a 30% advantage is just the icing on the cake. ;)

Sounds like sony is afraid of people comparing boxes. How cute. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Please take advice from this new poster OP.

Edgelord79

Gold Member

He literally says in the OP he was thinking about PC but decided on Xbox.
Sounds like a classic case of ididnot readthepostococcus.

JackMcGunns

Not sure it would sway people in any direction, but a compelling feature for anyone entering the Xbox ecosystem and having historical access to everything.

FunkMiller

"I'll spend five hundred bucks on a new console so that I can play all the old games that I can play on an older, much cheaper console" just doesn't sound like a compelling reason to buy a console to me. I would have bought an XsX if it had had a couple of new games on it I can't play anywhere else. Can't get my head around just being happy playing old stuff on something new and expensive when you don't need to.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have pre ordered a XBX without gamepass and BC.

Right now we have very limited new games and I'll be playing Demons Souls #1 and some BC gamepass games on the Xbox.

No wonder Microsoft doesn’t focus on making next gen games. All their fans just want to play old games at higher res and FPS. More power to you guys.

Riven326

Banned
PS5 at least has full PS4 BC support. For me personally, there are more PS4 games I would want to play than all past Xbox consoles combined.

I'll own all the consoles regardless. I just don't see me spending much time playing decades old games on them.
If PS5 had support for ps1, ps2, and ps3, I would choose that chose over the X. But as I said, I think PS5 Now offers bad value for the price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom