• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox discontinued, 360 Pro Bundle coming?

Mrbob

This almost makes perfect sense. I'm sure MS doesn't want to budge on the $399.99 pricepoint until they get to the 65nm process which happens in early 2007. But they need to sweeten the deal so a little so a limited bundle running through Christmas is a good choice. MS should let you choose a first party game though instead of forcing someone to take PGR3.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Guileless said:
The excuse I needed to finally justify this purchase....now, should I put it on my wine cooler or my subwoofer?

Whichever you choose, be sure to plug it into a surge protector plugged into an extension cord. This will unlock the 3 red rings feature on your new X360. :lol

Kung Fu Jedi said:
If true, this is going to make for a nice bundle heading into the fall when the other systems are closing in on their release. More value for the same money, and probably not effecting MS as all on the bottome line.

Dr_Cogent said:
Yeah, it's peanuts really.

Yeah, it's pretty smart of MS... rather than a price drop, include some decent incentives for people to make the purchase.

Mrbob said:
This almost makes perfect sense. I'm sure MS doesn't want to budge on the $399.99 pricepoint until they get to the 65nm process which happens in early 2007. But they need to sweeten the deal so a little so a limited bundle running through Christmas is a good choice. MS should let you choose a first party game though instead of forcing someone to take PGR3.

i'd imagine PGR3 has the strongest online community of the first-party titles hence the choice. This is obviously a push to pick up more customers but its clearly two-pronged; they wish to build interest in the Live offering.

Ranger X

Dr_Cogent said:
Yeah. I'm surprised a lot of people are asking if it's the tard pack. MS would be mega retarded to offer this with the core pack.

Could be the tard pack because PGR, the points and Gold Live are still incentives that maybe MS think are good enough.

Personally i doubt it's the premium because Microsoft wouldn't be cheap for a change --- it's impossible :lol

Hmm... this is not a bad deal at all. Is this going to be the package when Christmas time rolls around, or is this just a temporary thing? I can see myself getting one in October, but not August.

meltpotato said:
i'd imagine PGR3 has the strongest online community of the first-party titles hence the choice. This is obviously a push to pick up more customers but its clearly two-pronged; they wish to build interest in the Live offering.

Yep. With the hope that after three months on Live Gold, those users will re-up their subscription and MS will make back the money that they may have lost by adding these items to the bundle.

GhaleonEB

I think a price drop would serve MS better this fall than a bundle at the current price. Not everyone wants a racing game bundled in.

Marconelly said:
Does that mean price drop for the regular premium console? It would make no sense for both to have same price.

Um...this would BE the Premium Pack. What exists right now wouldn't continue to exist. Core at $299, Premium at $399, with just more incentive to move up to the Premium.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Marconelly said:
Does that mean price drop for the regular premium console? It would make no sense for both to have same price.

Im guessing this WILL be the premium bundle. To a consumer this is a great value, to MS this might cost them 10-15 bucks. While an actual price drop of 100 bucks (the price of this stuff at retail, roughly) would cost them the full 100,.

thorns

Banned
How is a price drop better for MS ?
the cost of PGR3, 1250 Points Card & 3 Month Live Gold is basically $0 for them.
They might even make some money back from the car packs for PGR3 ;)

PGR3 is a great game too.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Um...this would BE the Premium Pack. What exists right now wouldn't continue to exist. Core at $299, Premium at $399, with just more incentive to move up to the Premium.

I'm not sure if this is just a promotion or permanent. I wouldn't assume it's permanent quite yet.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
meltpotato said:
they would lose all the sales from people like myself.. those of us with eyes and the ability to read.
If it were just a core system along with everything else, you mean? Perhaps, but then maybe a package that offers more actual game content than the premium pack does out of the box would carry more value to some people, even at the same price.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I'm being told this does indeed replace the premium pack from now on.

Kits will be sent out to retailers to make in house merchandise conform.

GhaleonEB

thorns said:
How is a price drop better for MS ?
the cost of PGR3, 1250 Points Card & 3 Month Live Gold is basically $0 for them.
They might even make some money back from the car packs for PGR3 ;)

PGR3 is a great game too.
1) Not everyone wants PGR3. Costco has a good PGR bundle with the 360, but I skipped it because I don't want a racing game.
2) Price is a barrier for a lot of people. I think most would find a lower cost premium system better, freeing them to buy the game of their choice.

Dr_Cogent said:
I'm being told this does indeed replace the premium pack from now on.

Kits will be sent out to retailers to make in house merchandise conform.
Can you give us some idea where this is coming from? You're getting mysterious updates from...space?

Arsenal

GhaleonEB said:
I think a price drop would serve MS better this fall than a bundle at the current price. Not everyone wants a racing game bundled in.

This is true, but I don't think we will see MS being too agressive until next year. Thats going to be when they can really start making the manufacturing savings to justify it and be able to pressure Sony at the same time. This bundle costs them literally a couple dollars extra to offer and I've always felt they would be smart to offer some additional XBL incentives to get people hooked on the service. A price cut of say $50 would probably cost them over $100 million by the end of the year alone, let alone over the life of the console.

kaching said:
If it were just a core system along with everything else, you mean? Perhaps, but then maybe a package that offers more actual game content than the premium pack does out of the box would carry more value to some people, even at the same price.

this SKU is clearly intended to promote online play. w/o the HDD it would lose the majority of its value. I'm sure there would be some jackasses who would bite, but it would certainly not be the most effective SKU for MS.

thorns

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
1) Not everyone wants PGR3. Costco has a good PGR bundle with the 360, but I skipped it because I don't want a racing game.
2) Price is a barrier for a lot of people. I think most would find a $299 premium system better, freeing them to buy the game of their choice.

Can you give us some idea where this is coming from? You're getting mysterious updates from...space?

Well a $299 premium with 2 million sales would cost them $200 million+, instead of what this costs. I would think they have better uses for that $200 milllion for now..

ZeoVGM

Banned
not to change the topic, but quick 360 question i dont think deserves a thread

the intercooler: should i trade it in? it's fairly loud, but if it actually helps, i'll keep it.

i heard ms was going to be putting out a better 360 later this year too, with more/bettre fans or something too so..

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Ranger X said:
Could be the tard pack because PGR, the points and Gold Live are still incentives that maybe MS think are good enough.

Personally i doubt it's the premium because Microsoft wouldn't be cheap for a change --- it's impossible :lol
The reason it's surely the premium pack is that the stuff that's being bundled is less than $100 separately.

PGR3 - $50
Points - $25 (for 1600)
3 months XBL - $20

duk

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
snatchez requested I post this news here:

The Xbox has been discontinued by Microsoft. I assume they mean the hardware is no longer being manufactured. I also am assuming this isn't old news.

Also, there is a Xbox 360 Pro Bundle coming out that will include the system, PGR3, 1250 Points Card & 3 Month Live Gold for $399. It is supposedly going to be available the week of August 1st.

who is snatchez and any proof of this pls?

goldenpp72

They should do two of them, include kameo in one, and pgr3 in the other, kinda diversify the options.

Oh well, nice deal still :D

Dr_Cogent

Banned
duk said:
who is snatchez and any proof of this pls?

A poster here who cannot post at the time and felt that this news needed to be broken on GAF.

There is no proof.

I'm not going to respond to any more of these types of inquiries either. If you can't read the thread, oh well.

GhaleonEB

Dr_Cogent said:
Yeah, space....No...wait - read the original post.
I did. snachez or whoever does not mean anything to me (and I was ribbing you a bit in my previous post :p)

Who is he? Why can't he post it? I trust you quite a bit from your post history, but please understand - we get TONS of rumors rolling through here and a pretty small percentage pan out. I've got my skeptic hat on.

Edit: Just read your post above. Skeptic hat firmly on.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I did. snachez or whoever does not mean anything to me (and I was ribbing you a bit in my previous post :p)

Who is he? Why can't he post it? I trust you quite a bit from your post history, but please understand - we get TONS of rumors rolling through here and a pretty small percentage pan out. I've got my skeptic hat on.

Edit: Just read your post above. Skeptic had firmly on.

For now, like I said, treat it as a rumor. I have no problems with that. At this point, it's a rumor to me too. I am from the show me don't tell me crowd. I only did this as a favor.

I don't, however, see why he would lie about it. He does work for a large distributor as well as I can tell from what I have seen, so I have no reason not to believe him. I like to see things than hear them though. Things can change. There is no harm in disbelieving this or believing it. Go with what feels right.

omg rite said:
not to change the topic, but quick 360 question i dont think deserves a thread

the intercooler: should i trade it in? it's fairly loud, but if it actually helps, i'll keep it.

i heard ms was going to be putting out a better 360 later this year too, with more/bettre fans or something too so..

cant answer the intercooler question, but 65nm model likely in Q1 07

mankey wrench said:
couldn't they at least include a real hd game :/

this troll again?! :lol :lol :lol

Kolgar

GhaleonEB said:
2) Price is a barrier for a lot of people. I think most would find a lower cost premium system better, freeing them to buy the game of their choice.

Agreed, a price cut would probably be more attractive to more people. But a package like this will push a lot of fence-sitters into the "buy" category on August 1.

It's an interesting idea that's attractive to MS as well as consumers, and you know that MS is going to look very hard at the results. If successful, they can run it the rest of the year, or make an adjustment here and there such as changing out PGR3 for something else. If the reception is lukewarm, they can reconsider a price drop.

In any case, good to see them tinkering. It's a sign they're not going to rest on their laurels and plan to give Sony as good a run as they can.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GhaleonEB said:

"From the maker of 'Oblivion on PS3/PSP' and 'FEAR on 360'"

You don't remember snatches? :'( Well, snatches remembers GAF. Bless him.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
meltpotato said:
this SKU is clearly intended to promote online play. w/o the HDD it would lose the majority of its value.
That doesn't make sense - if the primary goal of this package is to promote online play, you don't need *any* kind of storage for that. You just need the 360, an XBL Gold account, a game and a net connection.

Top Bottom