• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox discontinued, 360 Pro Bundle coming?

Ranger X

Fuzzy said:
The reason it's surely the premium pack is that the stuff that's being bundled is less than $100 separately.

PGR3 - $50
Points - $25 (for 1600)
3 months XBL - $20

Still an incentive only because people would see stuff bundled in. And also, if you'd buy the core pack + PGR3 + points + 3 months Gold you still would pay quite alot more than 299.
Business is all about catch after all.

kaching said:
That doesn't make sense - if the primary goal of this package is to promote online play, you don't need *any* kind of storage for that. You just need the 360, an XBL Gold account, a game and a net connection.

Who, w/o hdd, will be online playing PGR3, GRAW, etc., buying arcade games, and downloading trailers?

you really think the focus is to just get someone online to play a game of PGR and thats it? regardless its really not worth debate anymore as it has been more or less "confirmed" there is an HDD

GhaleonEB

Dr_Cogent said:
For now, like I said, treat it as a rumor. I have no problems with that. At this point, it's a rumor to me too. I am from the show me don't tell me crowd. I only did this as a favor.

I don't, however, see why he would lie about it. He does work for a large distributor as well as I can tell from what I have seen, so I have no reason not to believe him. I like to see things than hear them though. Things can change. There is no harm in disbelieving this or believing it. Go with what feels right.
See, that's what I was asking for. Skeptic hat loosened a little. :p

duk

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
A poster here who cannot post at the time and felt that this news needed to be broken on GAF.

There is no proof.

I'm not going to respond to any more of these types of inquiries either. If you can't read the thread, oh well.

hey hey no hard feelings, just wondering what the Dr ordered. :)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Andokuky said:
How much exactly is 1250 points worth? If this is on the core bundle an extra $100 seems a bit steep.

To the US consumer, like 15 bucks? To MS? It's chicken feed.

duk said:
hey hey no hard feelings, just wondering what the Dr ordered. :)

OK, no problem. Just don't like having to repeat myself.

GhaleonEB said:
See, that's what I was asking for. Skeptic hat loosened a little. :p

You must have missed where I mentioned he works for a large distributor.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
meltpotato said:
you really think the focus is to just get someone online to play a game of PGR and thats it?
I really have no idea what the focus is, I was just responding to the scenario *you* put forward.

GhaleonEB

Mooreberg said:
What does 1250 points add up to in terms of what you can download? The PDZ map pack, some PGR3 stuff?
It's $15.63 in dollars. You can get four Live Arcade games (lots of them are 400 points). Not sure on the other stuff.

You can browse and price the Marketplace stuff here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/marketplace/gamecontent.htm
Dr_Cogent said:
You must have missed where I mentioned he works for a large distributor.
Must have. It's not in the OP and I didn't see it mentioned after, but there's been a flurry of posts.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Ranger X said:
Still an incentive only because people would see stuff bundled in. And also, if you'd buy the core pack + PGR3 + points + 3 months Gold you still would pay quite alot more than 299.
Business is all about catch after all.
Core + all this shit = $395 at retail and you get less points in this bundle. Why pay $5 more for less points?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Dr_Cogent said:
I'm not thrilled about having no real proof either, and I debated about posting this in the first place. It's legit to consider this rumor since there is no source I can provide.

I trust you!

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Here's hoping this is a sign that they will drop the stand alone premium price to $299 and discontinue the tard pack.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
jetjevons said:
Here's hoping this is a sign that they will drop the stand alone premium price to $299 and discontinue the tard pack.

That's coming eventually I bet, but I would doubt it would be this year. I'm thinking more along the lines of about a year from now. May only be a $50 drop too depending on what the market looks like.

Who knows though, they may never discontinue the tard pack. The price drop seems more possible.

duk

Banned
people need to realize that the tard pack is here to stay for the forseeable future. it'll be used to wage the price war against ps3.

temp

posting on contract only
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Well, Microsoft's first console barely managed to outlast Sony's first console.

Hopefully there is a more dignified fate in store for their second effort.
Where did this come from?

sounds like a good move for MS. Bundles actually do have some effect, at least in my retail experience. It's not gonna "win the war" or anything, but it's always a nice advantage when a customer is evaluating more than one system. Hell, that JSRF/Sega GT bundle a couple years ago pushed a lot of systems.

Of course, people usually ended up trading in that disc a couple months later :lol (we used to have a crapload of these things in stock at any given time)

Arsenal

duk said:
people need to realize that the tard pack is here to stay for the forseeable future. it'll be used to wage the price war against ps3.

Qft

The low end pack is definitely not going anywhere. I don't even see why people care if it is there - it will appeal to some, not to others.

hell, a core system might be useful as a cheap media extender in a couple years, when it's down to around $150. System link games + media streaming ftw. 360 in every room! haha

they'll just have to drop the price of the stupid wireless adapter by then (yes I know there are cheaper alternatives, but they're not as sleek/convenient)

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Dr_Cogent said:
That's coming eventually I bet, but I would doubt it would be this year. I'm thinking more along the lines of about a year from now. May only be a $50 drop too depending on what the market looks like.

Who knows though, they may never discontinue the tard pack. The price drop seems more possible.

Yeah I know. But Microsoft has a chance to OWN this Christmas. Gears of War, readily available systems, etc. A price drop would be sweet.

jamesb23

I tried running this info by an Xbox rep and couldn't get anything substantial.

Re: xbox discontinued - "We don’t provide details on our console manufacturing plans."

Re: 360 bundle - "Microsoft has made no announcements."

bluemax

Banned
So I guess this means finding an original XBox new for less than $180 is going to become signifcantly harder? I'd buy one at $150 with no game if possible. I have no interested in Forza or whatever.

IAmNude

Banned
I think this is a mistake. This won't sell any consoles. Even a $50 price drop would help more than this. No one is gonna say "Oh PGR3 , a few points, and 3 months of Live. I better rush out now. I wasn't before"

IAmNude said:
I think this is a mistake. This won't sell any consoles. Even a $50 price drop would help more than this. No one is gonna say "Oh PGR3 , a few points, and 3 months of Live. I better rush out now. I wasn't before"

that seems contradictory to quite a few comments in this thread...

Barnolde

Banned
IAmNude said:

BS.

The big push is starting. Marketplace and XBLA are heating up, games and demos are being released on a consistent basis. Not to mention Madden is coming out soon.

People who were on the edge now have a reason to 'jump in'.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
IAmNude said:

No but it's a nice pacakge. And when the Gears of War hype train begins it makes hopping aboard that much easier.

GhaleonEB

I think a lot of people are waiting to see what MS does in the fall regarding a price drop. If MS is doing this bundle it kind if implies the price is not going to drop this fall, so if you are on the fence might as well buy when the bundle lands.

But I don't think it will move NEARLY as many units as a price drop.

GhaleonEB said:
I think a lot of people are waiting to see what MS does in the fall regarding a price drop. If MS is doing this bundle it kind if implies the price is not going to drop this fall, so if you are on the fence might as well buy when the bundle lands.

But I don't think it will move NEARLY as many units as a price drop.

I bet we'll see a price drop in the spring of 07

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Dr_Cogent said:
snatchez requested I post this news here:

The Xbox has been discontinued by Microsoft. I assume they mean the hardware is no longer being manufactured. I also am assuming this isn't old news.

Also, there is a Xbox 360 Pro Bundle coming out that will include the system, PGR3, 1250 Points Card & 3 Month Live Gold for $399. It is supposedly going to be available the week of August 1st.

It will replace the premium.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
jetjevons said:
Yeah I know. But Microsoft has a chance to OWN this Christmas. Gears of War, readily available systems, etc. A price drop would be sweet.

Agreed. MS does have that chance. Things are looking mighty fine this X-mas season for the 360.

DreamMachine said:
your famous dr cogent.

Kinda creepy how much my alias is mentioned in that article. :lol

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Has anybody made a joke about a pack-in subwoofer/cooler 360 stand? Hopefully not. They could call it the "Crunk & Cool Pack" and the box would have a picture of J. Allard dancing with hot rap video extras and swigging from a bottle of Merlot.

Top Bottom