• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 Conference 6/11 2pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I am out if it's over £350. I won't be unhappy if my One S continues to be a 360 BC, GWG and exclusives machine, I'll still be in the Xbox ecosystem but if they price someone like me out of Scorpio (current Xbox One owner, 4K TV and receiver), then their audience for that in the UK is going to be ridiculously small.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's what they've kind of said all along though, the One S will continue to be the main driver of sales and the Scorpio will be the premium console for those who have the desire (and money) to play the same games at a higher quality.

If Microsoft themselves aren't expecting the Scorpio to suddenly become the biggest selling SKU immediately, why are you? It likely won't reach a mass market price until its successor is announced.

It would be fascinating if Splinter Cell and Ninja Garden showed up at the conference. It would mean that both Sony send Microsoft have finally understood Nintendo's strategy of nostalgia and renewing brands that started on their original platform. Last year Sony took a major step in trying to reconnect with lapsed ps1 fans by focusing on crash, wipeout, parappa, resident evil, Tekken, and ace combat.

Likewise Splinter and Ninja Gaiden are heavily associated with the original Xbox along side Halo, Project Gotham, DOA, and KOTOR. So it would be really neat if they went back to their roots with the help of their 3rd party partners.

EmiPrime

Well, that's what they've kind of said all along though, the One S will continue to be the main driver of sales and the Scorpio will be the premium console for those who have the desire (and money) to play the same games at a higher quality.

If Microsoft themselves aren't expecting the Scorpio to suddenly become the biggest selling SKU immediately, why are you? It likely won't reach a mass market price until its successor is announced.

I know the One S will be the bigger seller but there is a point at which the % of Scorpio sales is low enough for it to be a pointless exercise. The ridiculous bundles and price slashing are the reasons Xbox One has managed to get a foothold in the UK and they're still being outsold nearly 2 to 1. If they can't price match the PS4 Pro's launch price it will flop here.

MS have been aggressive on price ever since jettisoning Kinect so I expect them to price match the PS4 Pro launch price in every territory. I'm sure they've taken note of PS4 Pro's non-existant marketing, almost invisible launch and poor supply and won't repeat Sony's mistakes there either.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This is a good point. Rare announcing a new Banjo would be like "Hey Rare fans here is the game you've actually wanted this whole time, you can forget about that pirate MMO bullshit now". There's no way it's happening.
If Rare thinks that Banjo-Kazooie has so much pull to endanger and outshine their top project, then this would be quite telling in the following ways:
- Their reluctance to make a new collectathon that is obvious since at least 2008 being not justified even in their own eyes
- The relative weakness of their top project itself

If Rare were to announce a new Banjo game and were confident in their offering with Sea of Thieves (which I think they are!) they should rather see this as an opportunity to show they are an active, talented studio that can have multiple attractive games in the works at once. When they were making DK64, they did not shy away from talking about the successor of their most successful series, just because other, new IP games like Conker, Perfect Dark and JFG were in the works. Neither did it hurt their sales.

There certainly are players who would buy a Banjo but not SoT, like for instance myself. Having played SoT at Gamescom, I had the impression the game lacks any kind of mechanical substance and is merely a social meeting place for people who like to roleplay as pirates. The game is so extremely far away from Banjo (online multiplayer vs. singleplayer, social experience oriented vs. gameplay oriented, semi-realistic vs. antropomorphic animals, major aaa budget vs. what would probably be a b-title budget) that these games would not hurt each other in the slightest. If anything, I can only see a positive effect due to people having more interest in Rare and more traditional Rare fans buying an Xbox One who then might try out SoT as well.

eso76

Can't be
Scorpios are born between October 23 and November 21
like i said, the release window was in the codename all along :p

Seriously, it's plausible but whatever, it's going to be around that time anyway.
Mid Oct to mid Nov, doesn't make a huge difference either way.

But does this also mean they're calling it the Xbox 10 ?
Or Xbox One Zero ? -_-

Great, so that shortens to Xboz.

XBOZ

Leflus

If Rare thinks that Banjo-Kazooie has so much pull to endanger and outshine their top project, then this would be quite telling in the following ways:
- Their reluctance to make a new collectathon that is obvious since at least 2008 being not justified even in their own eyes
- The relative weakness of their top project itself

If Rare were to announce a new Banjo game and were confident in their offering with Sea of Thieves (which I think they are!) they should rather see this as an opportunity to show they are an active, talented studio that can have multiple attractive games in the works at once. When they were making DK64, they did not shy away from talking about the successor of their most successful series, just because other, new IP games like Conker, Perfect Dark and JFG were in the works. Neither did it hurt their sales.

There certainly are players who would buy a Banjo but not SoT, like for instance myself. Having played SoT at Gamescom, I had the impression the game lacks any kind of mechanical substance and is merely a social meeting place for people who like to roleplay as pirates. The game is so extremely far away from Banjo (online multiplayer vs. singleplayer, social experience oriented vs. gameplay oriented, semi-realistic vs. antropomorphic animals, major aaa budget vs. what would probably be a b-title budget) that these games would not hurt each other in the slightest. If anything, I can only see a positive effect due to people having more interest in Rare and more traditional Rare fans buying an Xbox One who then might try out SoT as well.
One way I could see it work is if they bundle a Banjo-Kazooie demo with Sea of Thieves.

Sea of Thieves in 2017, Banjo-Kazooie in 2018 (for B-K's 20th anniversary), Banjo-Kazooie demo in between.

I expect E3 to be all about Sea of Thieves for Rare, though. Not getting my hopes up.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
One way I could see it work is if they bundle a Banjo-Kazooie demo with Sea of Thieves.
That could be a good promotion for SoT, but it would not reflect their own priorities and their own valuation of the projects. If they make a Banjo at the moment, it is obviously not their main project, but a side project for the fans. So they would see it as something small, but SoT as a major crowd pleaser. So putting a Banjo demo as an extra into SoT seems a bit strange, because those bonus demos usually go the other way around (dmeo for major project to accompany smaller game).

Sea of Thieves in 2017, Banjo-Kazooie in 2018 (for B-K's 20th anniversary), Banjo-Kazooie demo in between.

I expect E3 to be all about Sea of Thieves for Rare, though. Not getting my hopes up.
Well, I always have my hopes up, I always know that it is dumb, I always rage at MS - it's like a morbid ritual. I seriously doubt that Rare will announce a Banjo-Threeie, I even doubt they will ever make one, but I feel absolutely in the right to be mad at them each year, especially, when they do small teases that they know will be interpreted as Banjo-related.

jmartoine

Same as Battletoads after the last couple of years. I got angry when we didn't hear anything at E3 or Gamescom last year after all the hinting they had been doing.

splinter-cell-1-e1496786210445.jpg

splinter-cell-3-e1496786380722.jpg

https://trademarks.justia.com/874/49/splinter-87449315.html
Oh baby

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

I don't think we will see any old Rare IP again from Rare with the exception of possibly Viva Pinata. Most of their IPs (including Banjo) simply won't sell enough to justify a new entry in the franchise. That said, I don't think the Rare franchises are dead. If the rumours are true then Microsoft is working on their own toys to life game with the creators of Disney Infinity. I can totally see Rare working on that game as well, providing their own characters and making sure they are used correctly.

Sea of Thieves is a great game but I struggle to find any appeal in it for more than five hours. It feels too repetitive, has no singleplayer content at all (although you can play the online part solo) and even the multiplayer content is supposed to come over time, not at release. I would take such a game for free, but I wouldn't pay for it. Conceptionally it is just as flawed as Fable Legends, maybe even worse, because team work is so essential.

jmartoine

I disagree. Rare is quite a big studio, they could easily have a smaller team of 10 or so people working on smaller titles with lower budgets. Yooka Laylee got £2,000,000 on Kickstarter, if you give a small team a budget of £3,000,000 it can easily be profitable when you need to sell 100,000 to break even.

EvB

I don't think we will see any old Rare IP again from Rare with the exception of possibly Viva Pinata. Most of their IPs (including Banjo) simply won't sell enough to justify a new entry in the franchise. That said, I don't think the Rare franchises are dead. If the rumours are true then Microsoft is working on their own toys to life game with the creators of Disney Infinity. I can totally see Rare working on that game as well, providing their own characters and making sure they are used correctly.

Sea of Thieves is a great game but I struggle to find any appeal in it for more than five hours. It feels too repetitive, has no singleplayer content at all (although you can play the online part solo) and even the multiplayer content is supposed to come over time, not at release. I would take such a game for free, but I wouldn't pay for it. Conceptionally it is just as flawed as Fable Legends, maybe even worse, because team work is so essential.

Viva Piñata isn't coming back, that was part of a failed experiment to make Pokemon esque franchise.

MilkyJoe

It's funny, they did a nice job with these videos and hiding info in them.
If the release date is October then that's great, that's before Halloween/Black Friday.

Well I always take a week off for Halloween, so that would be ideal.

OK back to the original Tweet

XboxIngame‏
@XboxIngame
Follow
More
Xbox Scorpio release date hidden in the teaser?? #XboxE3
X10S101-317 = X10S 10/13/17 = Xbox 10 13th October 2017?? #Xbox #Microsoft

After the 6>4 this has to mean something.

I think the release date is best bet, that leaves X10S...

X = Xbox One
10 = X
S = Scorpio

Xbox One XS
? the name, perhaps?

I know the One S will be the bigger seller but there is a point at which the % of Scorpio sales is low enough for it to be a pointless exercise. The ridiculous bundles and price slashing are the reasons Xbox One has managed to get a foothold in the UK and they're still being outsold nearly 2 to 1. If they can't price match the PS4 Pro's launch price it will flop here.

MS have been aggressive on price ever since jettisoning Kinect so I expect them to price match the PS4 Pro launch price in every territory. I'm sure they've taken note of PS4 Pro's non-existant marketing, almost invisible launch and poor supply and won't repeat Sony's mistakes there either.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, as no one outside of Microsoft knows their expectations as to what they'd consider a success or flop. As for marketing, I expect it will be advertised more aggressively than the PS4 Pro, though that does make their apparent lack of willingness to sign marketing deals (if they had a choice that is) for some of the biggest 3rd party games a bit strange.

Hopefully it's because what they do have is very impressive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom