• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox is a family toast center" - Jarosh

Dynoro said:
I thought the 360 was always seen by Microsoft as a convergent device and that's why you get ESPN, Sky, Movies, LastFM, Facebook, Twiiter etc. MS want the living room after taking the office and adding more support for families is just a natural progression of this
It's a bit foggy, but I recall that even being the intention way back when Microsoft announced their "DirectX Box" platform project. Back when it was a 3DO-like concept, where Microsoft would just manage the platform spec and licensing and others manufacturers would make the hardware.

It's always been a long-term plan to take the living room.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
offshore said:
"Maria, you go to your average 15-year-old boy, and he will say "I'll take an Xbox."

I think what they actually say is, "I'll take an [INSERT APPLE PRODUCT HERE]"

And then their mom and dad scoff and go "no, you're getting a PC. Shut up, runt."

Anyway, nope.avi: My 360 was a game console until it broke, then it became a game console that was ran over by a steamroller to the tune of a the Who song.

_Bro

Banned
TheSeks said:
And then their mom and dad scoff and go "no, you're getting a PC. Shut up, runt."

Anyway, nope.avi: My 360 was a game console until it broke, then it became a game console that was ran over by a steamroller to the tune of a the Who song.
Congratulations on the nerd rage.

Not sure if I should have quoted this, I feel like this gets you off.

But being sensational has worked out for you. You've earned this stroke.

LosDaddie

Banned
bill0527 said:
Haters needed another thread to hate.

Yup. Completely non-news.

And I'm fine with my X360 (and PS3) being media hubs. I use Netflix a ton, ESPN is really nice, LastFM is great for music, renting movies is a breeze and I even use Twitter and Facebook to check up on news/friends. Heck, I even use the PS3's web browser a couple times a week.

Dunlop

LosDaddie said:
Yup. Completely non-news.

And I'm fine with my X360 (and PS3) being media hubs. I use Netflix a ton, ESPN is really nice, LastFM is great for music, renting movies is a breeze and I even use Twitter and Facebook to check up on news/friends. Heck, I even use the PS3's web browser a couple times a week.

same (except Canada doesn't get the other cool shit like ESPN) , I don't think my 2nd 360 ever had a game placed in it. Until Infamous 2 comes out I doubt my PS3 will be used for anything aside from Netflix or media streaming

This kind of thing isn't new. I distinctly remember that in the manual of my launch PS2, the PS2 was called an "entertainment system", while the PS1 was referred to as a "game console".

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Dunlop said:
same (except Canada doesn't get the other cool shit like ESPN) , I don't think my 2nd 360 ever had a game placed in it. Until Infamous 2 comes out I doubt my PS3 will be used for anything aside from Netflix or media streaming

I set up my media computer to be centered around windows media center. I have more xboxes around the house just to use the media center extender. It is awesome. And it has nothing to do with Gold or my regional features.

PetriP-TNT said:
Time to pull a class action suit, I signed up for a gaming console deal when I bought it!
you didn't want a suit 2 years ago when it red ringed on you 32 times in a week, but now is the time?

This is a PR move pure and simple. He's talking to USA today about promoting Xbox/Kinect as a family friendly console cause that's where they're growing and selling systems right now.

It's annoying that that's their focus but they're successful with it for the time being so who can blame them?

Darklord said:
I don't know anyone who uses their xbox for anything other than games. All that TV and zune and other shit...never once heard about someone using it.
On Friends List I see some of my core friends watching stuff on netflix, "listening to music" and i'm like. . . ugh. dude!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hanmik said:
you are right here. Sorry for the confusion.. the X360 is updating MUCH faster. I just think it is a long process (like I think it is on the other consoles) to start a game, compared to last gen. All consoles today have some start up screen, sign in (can be automated), start game screen and more.. all this makes the process of gaming take more time than it used to.

Pfft. You kids never had to sit there praying that Winter Sports on your Commodore 64 would load after 20 minutes, instead of getting 99% done and then crashing.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Pfft. You kids never had to sit there praying that Winter Sports on your Commodore 64 would load after 20 minutes, instead of getting 99% done and then crashing.
You ever hear of a Fastload cartridge?

szaromir

Banned
If MS wants Xbox to be a seriously competetive general entertainment device, it needs to open up a bit, more services, basic web browser and 3rd party apps would certainly help IMO.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
OuterWorldVoice said:
thanks to my my cpc 464, i still have an autistic library of domestic witchcraft built into the adolescence vaults of my brain.

maybe if i wait a few seconds after holding ctrl+small enter before pressing play and leave the room until the caterwauling has ceased, the gods will honour my display of patience and faith?

What? This is crazy I mean the 360 isnt a family entertainment center! I know for a fact that I cant watch all of TV or movies from netflix or hulu! I know that i can not connect to all of my friends and play halo! And The idea of downloading music is just silly! And since im a sports fan I know i cant watch espen on this device! No sir the xbox 360 is strictly for hardcore gaming. And as such the 360 doesnt let you connect to the outside world with applications for facebook or twitter! No No Mr. Ballmer you are a lying through your teeth. But seriously this is the worst thread I have ever seen.

Dunlop

szaromir said:
If MS wants Xbox to be a seriously competetive general entertainment device, it needs to open up a bit, more services, basic web browser and 3rd party apps would certainly help IMO.

what media hub has it beat at the moment?

(serious question)

These restrictive controls have been very lucrative for MS, I don't see that changing anytime soon

Damn you must have been rich with all the uber quick loading. I remember to play games on my TRS80, I would buy books that forced me to write the code. 3 or 4 hours of typing to play ASCII frogger, good times ; )

Darklord said:
I don't know anyone who uses their xbox for anything other than games. All that TV and zune and other shit...never once heard about someone using it.
Well now you have. I use just about every aspect of the xbox, short of the social network stuff and ESPN. Zune for streaming new TV and movies, Netflix for the other stuff.

I watch a LOT of time with Netflix streaming. Probably more time than with gaming now. Most people on my friends list show similar behavior.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
OuterWorldVoice said:
FastLoad cartridge, you POOR.

edit: dammit, beaten.

Gravijah

I can't believe people are still buying toast, shit is so last century. You people are holding the advancement of human civilization back.

szaromir

Banned
Dunlop said:
what media hub has it beat at the moment?

(serious question)

These restrictive controls have been very lucrative for MS, I don't see that changing anytime soon
I think smartphones are doing much better job overall, minus TV streaming services. Surely you can't (or don't) connect them to your TV in general, but once it'll be a seamless option (a couple years down the road), you'll have a universal entertainment hub always with you in your pocket. That's why I think MS should seriously expand Xbox features if they want to be viable long term.

Top Bottom