• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX just became the RPG Console!

Kimahri

Banned
Obsidian doesn't have the best track record lately and Fable? Was there an actual good game in that series? Starfield we know nothing about. For me the only really exciting one is Elder Scrolls. Assuming it comes out in the next 4 years.

You uncivilized heathen!

iorek21

More or less, MS has the biggest names, at least.

But WRPGs has been declining in quality for some time, save for The Witcher 3.

The formula is the same, role playing is almost the same, plot is also the same...

TES and Fallout are big names, but I think WRPGs need a breath of fresh air

dalekjay

Sony gets the Japanese Cartoon like RPGs
MS got the westerns Doom and Gloomy RPGs

But Sony still have the narrative edge

Last edited:

xion4360

what RPG's arent on xbox? you now have major western franchises locked in, and Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are timed exclusive to PS.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Fallout 5 PS5
Elder Scrolls 6 Timed exclusive
Timed exclusive on your own I.P... That is a new one.

I don't want to cheerlead this acquisition, but I don't see them releasing multi-plat once the current contracts are finished.

I have a feeling that Microsoft are where they want to be studio and I.P wise. In 3 yrs they will be in a position to be releasing regular new games on GP every 3 to 4 months and should be able to put an RPG a year to. Making GP into something pretty much unmissable.

Microsoft near their end game

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
$7.5b is going to take a long, long time to recoup if they restrict sales to just PC/Xbox. Bear in mind that's just the cost of ownership, they now have all its running costs going forwards which with 6+ sites and 2300 employees on payroll is millions in burn-rate per month.

VAVA Mk2

I kinda also thought XBox was already the FPS console too. So that makes Sony the JRPG/3rd person action console?

Shrap

I already have a high-end PC :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

soon to be higher once i see 3090 benchmarks :messenger_smiling_horns::messenger_angry_horns:
Ok? So why are you so concerned about these games not being on Playstation then?

Benchmarks are already out for the 3090. 10% better performance than the 3080 on average. Absolutely not worth it.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Timed exclusive on your own I.P... That is a new one.

I don't want to cheerlead this acquisition, but I don't see them releasing multi-plat once the current contracts are finished.

I have a feeling that Microsoft are where they want to be studio and I.P wise. In 3 yrs they will be in a position to be releasing regular new games on GP every 3 to 4 months and should be able to put an RPG a year to. Making GP into something pretty much unmissable.

Microsoft near their end game

I don't know I just feel MS is all about streaming in years to come and will charge a license fee for other platforms to have their games. Once you stop paying the fee MS will remove the game similar to Netflix. I believe MS wants to be the Netflix of gaming and stop any other companies like Amazon who want in on game streaming.

Ok? So why are you so concerned about these games not being on Playstation then?

Benchmarks are already out for the 3090. 10% better performance than the 3080 on average. Absolutely not worth it.

I'm not concerned im just talking about gaming because i love gaming. Also ive hereard about the 10% so i might wait till full reviews are out also i seen the 3080 super leak with 20gbVram

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
$7.5b is going to take a long, long time to recoup if they restrict sales to just PC/Xbox. Bear in mind that's just the cost of ownership, they now have all its running costs going forwards which with 6+ sites and 2300 employees on payroll is millions in burn-rate per month.
They want to push gamepass exclusives do that. This deal will sell series consoles and gamepass but only if the games are exclusive. Gamespass subscriptions are console gamers. Playstation gamers been saying exclusives sell consoles how long now?

semicool

Banned
Besides Deathloop and Ghostwire....any other Besthesda games on ANY OTHER console(ps5, Swtich, Android?, iPHONE?) is a "case by case" basis...ie..not looking good for PS5:

Jonsoncao

Banned
PC has always been and will be THE platform for western RPG.

For example, you cannot play Fallout 2 on any Xbox.

this is reminiscent of the OG xbox and 360 for me. It was the WRPG/FPS console and i loved it.

You had Oblivian, Fable, Mass Effect, KOTOR, Jade Empire, ect ect.

This is a real xbox as far as im concerned

Minecraft had already established itself on every platform and would've cost them big time to take it away, it doesn't count.
Elder Scrolls has been on Sony consoles since Oblivion and not releasing a new entry on PS5 would make Microsoft miss out on a lot of money. Same difference.

Last edited:
I don't see Sony not fighting for the western RPG genre. Larian Studios is a logical acquisition.

I agree. Sony should at least acquire one studio that specializes in RPGs. That would also help their other studios in the WWS by sharing ideas and gameplay systems and implementation techniques. Or maybe their Japan Studio has experience with RPGs? Aren't they making Demon's Souls?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I will revisit this topic in 2022.
tenor.gif

Ryu Kaiba

Elder Scrolls has been on Sony consoles since Oblivion and not releasing a new entry on PS5 would make Microsoft miss out on a lot of money. Same difference.
No, the hell its not. That's like saying Sony and Nintendo should release their games on Xbox because they'd make more money that way. Exclusives are what makes a platform viable its the reason why MS would buy a studio like this at all. Those old Elder scrolls games won't be pulled off the playstation store.

Top Bottom