• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX just became the RPG Console!

pasterpl

I think people don’t understand that these games will be Gamepass exclusives, so still available on most devices (phones, tablets, Xbox, pc, smart TVs etc.) and probably steam. Ms acquired huge ips to cut out stadia and Sony with one move.

Ryu Kaiba

Those are completely different scenarios. I can play Minecraft on Ps4 though.
For the 15th time... Minecraft is the different scenario. Bethesda games are not. Just because you want Bethesda games more then Minecraft doesn't mean they are more likely to give it to you.

Last edited:
No, the hell its not. That's like saying Sony and Nintendo should release their games on Xbox because they'd make more money that way.
Wouldn't the be great, though? I bet Nintendo would actually make more money if they released Mario and Zelda games on other platforms, and it probably wouldn't even hurt their hardware sales that much. Nintendo obviously aren't the kind of company who would do that, but Microsoft doesn't seem to have the same sort of inhibitions to me. Everything they're doing seems to suggest they're betting on a future where it doesn't matter whose hardware people play on, as long as they're subscribed to their service.

Ryu Kaiba

Wouldn't the be great, though? I bet Nintendo would actually make more money if they released Mario and Zelda games on other platforms, and it probably wouldn't even hurt their hardware sales that much. Nintendo obviously aren't the kind of company who would do that, but Microsoft doesn't seem to have the same sort of inhibitions to me. Everything they're doing seems to suggest they're betting on a future where it doesn't matter whose hardware people play on, as long as they're subscribed to their service.
Nintendo would make more money in the short term but it would be a disaster in the long run. They would lose huge in hardware if people didn't have to buy their platform for their games. Microsoft is definitely less strict and what your saying is correct they want to expand their platform and rope people into game pass but they're not going to get that by putting their games on PlayStation. They need two Things. They need to have desirable exclusive content, and They need people to have hardware they can access it on. So their goal is to get customers on PC and Xbox and to convert whatever PlayStation types they can because Sony isn't going to allow Game Pass on PlayStation.

Nintendo would make more money in the short term but it would be a disaster in the long run. They would lose huge in hardware if people didn't have to buy their platform for their games.
I'm not so sure about that. The Switch is fairly unique in terms of the features it offers, and none of the other consoles can really match it in that regard. They also wouldn't have to give other platforms equal treatment. A simple delayed release strategy would probably be enough to keep those on board who want the game badly enough to buy hardware for it.

The same goes for Microsoft too, of course. A PS5 release doesn't mean they can't still give their own box and service preferential treatment. Just delay the PS5 release for a few months. Make the Game Pass version come with a season pass. That'll be enough to get anyone desperate enough for the game to play it on Xbox/Game Pass to switch, and you don't miss out on the money of all the people who'd buy the game if it was available, but don't feel strongly enough about it to consider investing in a new platform.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Those are completely different scenarios. I can play Minecraft on Ps4 though.

Phil on Bethesda - 'the deals we have in place will be honoured. The thing this is about is a huge commitment in our Xbox community, we now have 23 studios and those games will come to Xbox and Gamepass'

Minecraft is a totally different beast, it's a cultural change of an entire generation and those growing up, a learning tool through schools world wide, Microsoft don't want to take away there's so much goodman will they can buy with this.

Be prepared to loose every single game aimed at hardcore gamers but, there will be no mass outcry from the parents on facebook. They had no reason to buy Bethesda outside of taking games exclusive.

Ryu Kaiba

I'm not so sure about that. The Switch is fairly unique in terms of the features it offers, and none of the other consoles can really match it in that regard. They also wouldn't have to give other platforms equal treatment. A simple delayed release strategy would probably be enough to keep those on board who want the game badly enough to buy hardware for it.

The same goes for Microsoft too, of course. A PS5 release doesn't mean they can't still give their own box and service preferential treatment. Just delay the PS5 release for a few months. Make the Game Pass version come with a season pass. That'll be enough to get anyone desperate enough for the game to play it on Xbox/Game Pass to switch, and you don't miss out on the money of all the people who'd buy the game if it was available, but don't feel strongly enough about it to consider investing in a new platform.
You're letting your desires do the thinking for you. The money they'd make releasing on PlayStation doesn't matter, they're clearly willing to lose some in the short term to gain in the future. The very reason why you want MS to do it your way is because you want less reason to buy into their platform, which is why its the opposite of what they're doing.

Humdinger

I think you're right, at least as far as WRPGs go (not so much JRPGs). As someone who really enjoys a good WRPG, this is the reason I would buy an Xbox. Nothing else in their catalog really interests me, but that's a very strong exclusive lineup of promising RPGs. Definitely compelling.

sublimit

Banned
Lol Western RPGs?:sick:

Japanese developers make the best RPGs by far. Souls,Bloodborne,Dragon's Dogma,Persona,Dragon Quest,Fire Emblem,Valkyria Chronicles,Final Fantasy the list goes on and on.

The only Western RPG series that is really great is the Witcher series.

Senua

Japanese developers make the best RPGs by far. Souls,Bloodborne,Dragon's Dogma,Persona,Dragon Quest,Fire Emblem,Valkyria Chronicles,Final Fantasy the list goes on and on.

desu-meme.jpg

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
If Microsoft is willing to put all its exclusives on Steam the same day as Gamepass, why wouldn't they put some of them on PS5? The appeal of Gamepass is that you get full-priced retail games "for free", not because of "Gamepass Exclusives". How does GAF not understand this?

Cuphead and Ori 2 on Switch, Minecraft on everything, Masterchief Collection on Steam... there's so much precedent pointing to MS putting stuff like TES6 on PS5. The appeal of Gamepass isn't exclusives, its getting a huge library of retail games for dirt cheap.

Last edited:
You're letting your desires do the thinking for you. The money they'd make releasing on PlayStation doesn't matter, they're clearly willing to lose some in the short term to gain in the future. The very reason why you want MS to do it your way is because you want less reason to buy into their platform, which is why its the opposite of what they're doing.
You're being a bit presumptive here. I don't plan on buying a PS5, and I'm not particularly interested in Bethesda's games. If I'm ever going to buy the next Elder Scrolls game, it'll be once the inevitable GOTY Edition goes on sale for $15 on Steam or something.

IDappa

People are crazy if they think Microsoft are going to throw away a marketing advantage like this. Elder scrolls, Starfield, Doom, Fallout only on Xbox and PC and have access day one with gamepass on both. Boom .

That would make plenty of people buy a x1 or sub to gamepass on pc, also most likely having the ability to access them on xcloud. I can see people happily paying 10 bucks a month just to play these games on their phone.. the potential benifits of keeping these Xbox platform exclusive outweigh the money they leave behind on PlayStation.. also possible that they'll release them in Nintendo's next platform to make up some extra dosh.. I just think it's peoples wishful thinking..

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
For all the credit is getting now M$ is rubbing it in and this is especially in a year or two where if one of these games flop the deal could haunt them, gaming is too brutal where bad decisions are everywhere. Developing AAA games from the ground up can’t be harp’d in enough.

Ryu Kaiba

You're being a bit presumptive here. I don't plan on buying a PS5, and I'm not particularly interested in Bethesda's games. If I'm ever going to buy the next Elder Scrolls game, it'll be once the inevitable GOTY Edition goes on sale for $15 on Steam or something.
It applies to Nintendo PC as well. Which I agree would be nice but would still hurt their platform. A lot of PC users don't mind Nintendo so much because it's not directly competing with their PC's. Anyway point is PlayStation ain't getting no more scrolls.

IDappa

That lists does not interest me one bit... Me personally I've never been interested in jrpg's I can never get into them..

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They want to push gamepass exclusives do that. This deal will sell series consoles and gamepass but only if the games are exclusive. Gamespass subscriptions are console gamers. Playstation gamers been saying exclusives sell consoles how long now?

If that was all they wanted to achieve they'd just buy exclusivity for the franchises they want, it'd cost a whole lot less. By buying a formerly multi-platform publisher and then reducing their output to fit corporate objectives they are getting a whole load of assets and staff who in the long-term are surplus to requirement, and ultimately a business that is less profitable because its addressable market has just shrunk considerably.

I get that its a strategic move to bolster GamePass (for PC as much as console) but honestly I consider it to be kinda counterproductive. They will inevitably have to cut staff if they shrink development to cover fewer SKU's on fewer platforms, it'll impact all the way through the organization from QA to PR. This won't happen til next year, but I absolutely guarantee that it will happen.#

Sooner or later MS corporate is going to order fat be trimmed across every gaming studio and acquisition in order to make them more profitable.

Last edited:

Veysetia

It did? What happened to any Final Fantasy, any Action RPG, any story driven game, visual novels, etc Your title is misleading, id prefer you change it personally. If by western rpg, you mean those watered down, "play how you want" hand holding love fests without an inkling of a challenge sure, you can have those. Those games suck anyways

This does not confirm that future Bethesda games will be released on PlayStation 5. He probably meant platforms like XBox, PC, Mobile and maybe Nintendo.

Everyone who thinks that Microsoft spend 7,5 Billion Dollar to release their games on their main competition platform which is PlayStation to support them should already wake up!!! Microsoft wants to increase the Value of Game Pass and they won't archive this by releasing games on PlayStation.

Plain and simple logic ;)

quest

Not Banned from OT
If that was all they wanted to achieve they'd just buy exclusivity for the franchises they want, it'd cost a whole lot less. By buying a formerly multi-platform publisher and then reducing their output to fit corporate objectives they are getting a whole load of assets and staff who in the long-term are surplus to requirement, and ultimately a business that is less profitable because its addressable market has just shrunk considerably.

I get that its a strategic move to bolster GamePass (for PC as much as console) but honestly I consider it to be kinda counterproductive. They will inevitably have to cut staff if they shrink development to cover fewer SKU's on fewer platforms, it'll impact all the way through the organization from QA to PR. This won't happen til next year, but I absolutely guarantee that it will happen.#

Sooner or later MS corporate is going to order fat be trimmed across every gaming studio and acquisition in order to make them more profitable.

The rumors of how high Sony has pushed the price of money hats this is much cheaper in the long run. Any money hat Sony could match with a bigger user base as I said Microsoft was between a rock and a hard place. When Ryan went on his money hat spree it basically locked Microsoft out of any major publishers exclusives hence medium, falconer and small games. When Ryan was throwing 750 million around for a timed exclusive this is a steal.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Ok, Internet warrior. Bet you feel like a big man throwing insults from behind the keyboard. "Who said anything about XBOX" while you are on an Xbox thread.

You directly quoted me as if I was saying XBOX had loads of JRPGs.

You made a stupid assumption, and it was wrong.

Last edited:
It applies to Nintendo PC as well. Which I agree would be nice but would still hurt their platform. A lot of PC users don't mind Nintendo so much because it's not directly competing with their PC's. Anyway point is PlayStation ain't getting no more scrolls.
Eh, I still think they're gonna do it. I mean, they put Minecraft Dungeons on Switch and PS4, right? And unlike the original Minecraft, that game wasn't on those consoles already before Mojang got bought out.

I guess we'll see in... 2025? Wouldn't surprise me if it takes that long for the game to come out.

Top Bottom