• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX just became the RPG Console!

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Yep, that's exactly what PS5 is getting from this deal.
uUfqiYN.gif

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I had no interest in getting a Microsoft console this gen and was going to stick with PS5.

But, if Fable, Avowed, Starfield, TES6 and something like Fallout New Vegas 2 are all XBox/PC exclusive, I’d have to reconsider. Wouldn’t want to miss out on all that! Not sure whether I’d go PC or just pick up a Series S/X.

It’s just too soon though. Ask me again in 2022. If Starfield and the Bethesda stuff comes to PS5, even on a one year delay, I’d probably just stick with PS5.

And that's exactly why they won't come to PS5.

I've seen a shocking amount of people in various threads saying they are switching to Xbox or people that were planning on PS only saying they will buy both.

There is no reason for Xbox to use their $7 billon investment to prop up Sony's line up.

D.Final

Banned
For western RPGs, this new acquisition by Microsoft really sets them up as the RPG console for next gen.

Starfield and The Elder Scrolls from Bethesda Game Studios. Avowed and The Outer Worlds from Obsidian.

This gen Sony successfully found a niche with 'cinematic' third person games, could it be that Microsoft has just found its USP for next gen? What think you?

ajtNoGW.jpg

YyDKKih.jpg

byaqs0e.jpg

U3bcXc8.jpg

JIcEgkw.jpg

For a large part of the western development, yes

No, the hell its not. That's like saying Sony and Nintendo should release their games on Xbox because they'd make more money that way. Exclusives are what makes a platform viable its the reason why MS would buy a studio like this at all. Those old Elder scrolls games won't be pulled off the playstation store.
Sony is releasing MLB the Show on Xbox next year, which is 1st party. Not saying Microsoft will do the same, but it happens

Phil on Bethesda - 'the deals we have in place will be honoured. The thing this is about is a huge commitment in our Xbox community, we now have 23 studios and those games will come to Xbox and Gamepass'

Minecraft is a totally different beast, it's a cultural change of an entire generation and those growing up, a learning tool through schools world wide, Microsoft don't want to take away there's so much goodman will they can buy with this.

Be prepared to loose every single game aimed at hardcore gamers but, there will be no mass outcry from the parents on facebook. They had no reason to buy Bethesda outside of taking games exclusive.
The Phil quote is kinda weird. Like is it all existing contracts? So if TES/Starfield is already being developed for PS4/5, is that being honored or just things like Deathloop? I’d imagine they’d go for the kill and drop development for games that are far off. I’ll guess we’ll see in a few years.

Joey.

I'll tell you what...I pre-ordered PS5 and was going to take a wait-and-see approach in regards to buying an XSX. Now that MS bought Bethesda....I'm certainly going to be picking up an XSX sooner rather later. I missed out on the preorders, so hopefully I can get one around launch but no rush for me.
RPG's are very important to me.
PS5 will be my cinematic, action adventure game machine and it looks like XSX will be the RPG machine. Then I'll get multi plats that work better on whatever console.

Vawn

Banned
Final Fantasy XVI, Persona, Disgaea, Atelier, Demon's Souls, Granblue Fantasy, Nioh, Trails of Cold Steel, Project Athia

I'll tell you what...I pre-ordered PS5 and was going to take a wait-and-see approach in regards to buying an XSX. Now that MS bought Bethesda....I'm certainly going to be picking up an XSX sooner rather later. I missed out on the preorders, so hopefully I can get one around launch but no rush for me.
RPG's are very important to me.
PS5 will be my cinematic, action adventure game machine and it looks like XSX will be the RPG machine. Then I'll get multi plats that work better on whatever console.
Hey get that reasonable way of thinking the fuck outta here. 😃

Mattyp

Gold Member
The Phil quote is kinda weird. Like is it all existing contracts? So if TES/Starfield is already being developed for PS4/5, is that being honored or just things like Deathloop? I’d imagine they’d go for the kill and drop development for games that are far off. I’ll guess we’ll see in a few years.

The only contracts they had in place where with the two PS5 exclusives, TES & Starfield hadn't even had system line up's revealed yet but Sony had been trying to buy Starfield before they got told no and we know why.

Top Bottom