• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade - Announcements & Updates 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

PopfulMail

Chiaroscuro said:
Tomorrow deals list is out:

Wednesday, December 22
- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Arcade game (50% off)
- Pet Monkey avatar accessory (50% off)
- 13 Going on 30 from Zune Movies (50% off)

source: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/countdown2011/home

Lara Croft for 600 MS points is a pretty good deal IMO.

This is an awesome deal... Very glad I held off on this one. Will happily dl it tomorrow. Hoping that list is correct and that Sonic 4 gets a good deal as well.

bumpkin

Chiaroscuro said:
Tomorrow deals list is out:

Wednesday, December 22
- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Arcade game (50% off)
- Pet Monkey avatar accessory (50% off)
- 13 Going on 30 from Zune Movies (50% off)

source: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/countdown2011/home

Lara Croft for 600 MS points is a pretty good deal IMO.
Figures... I downloaded Lara Croft (and Deathspank) Sunday night to take advantage of the buy 2 games get 400 points deal that was ending the 20th. I done got bamboozled out of 200 points. :lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Forgotten Realms are under attack by the evil Zhentarim, as the next generation of the most popular fantasy role-playing game launches another thrilling interactive adventure. Atari, one of the world's most recognised publishers and producers of interactive entertainment and Bedlam Games announced today Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale. Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale marks the first digital download release for the franchise on Xbox LIVE Arcade, PlayStation Network, and Windows PC Download at Atari.com in Spring 2011.

Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale centers on the desperate struggle to defeat the evil Rezlus and his Zhentarim in their attempt to invade and conquer the Dalelands. Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale is an engaging multi-player experience that introduces a riveting narrative and treacherous new characters. Players are charged with the task of restoring order to Nentir Vale by unlocking the secrets of the Mines of Tethyamar, defeating the evil within the treacherous Tower of the Void, leading to the final confrontation with Rezlus himself.

Action-packed RPG gameplay allows for solo and co-op play for up to four players. Gamers use intuitive pick-up-and-play combat combined with a wide assortment of weapons, feats and powers to defeat a wide range of deadly enemies. Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale boasts an array of stunning levels and exploration opportunities set in the richly detailed environments.

FerranMG

GhaleonEB said:
Same.

Looks like Game Informer gave it an 83, but I can't find any other reviews right now.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/a-world-of-keflings

I'll check the demo, but this will likely be a near-instapurchase.

Has Shard done one of his cookie cutter OT's yet? Kelflings deserves its own thread. I'll be happy to make one in the morning otherwise.

IGN is up as well (sorry, can't link ATM).

It says framerate issues are gone.
And that there's local coop.

I'm definitely in!

Gong

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks. Though, all of the complaints are part of what made the original so great. (Nothing to distract/destroy the building process, setting up workers to build continuously, etc.) The reviewer must have hated the original.

In the end all you can do is review a game based on how you see it. We always appreciate feedback though because we write for everyone, or at least try to at any rate and welcome people`s opinions. I look forward to the counter argument in favour of Keflings :)

ShogunX

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks. Though, all of the complaints are part of what made the original so great. (Nothing to distract/destroy the building process, setting up workers to build continuously, etc.) The reviewer must have hated the original.

Very true. For me the original Keflings was the ideal chill out game that you could load up and relax to after a few heavy multiplayer sessions on COD or Battlefield.

Shogun PaiN said:
Very true. For me the original Keflings was the ideal chill out game that you could load up and relax to after a few heavy multiplayer sessions on COD or Battlefield.
Nailed it.
Can't wait. Think the original released around the holidays also. Love just relaxing and playing a game like this. Now I can try and get the wife to play it with me. :D

GhaleonEB

HyperMusic said:
In the end all you can do is review a game based on how you see it. We always appreciate feedback though because we write for everyone, or at least try to at any rate and welcome people`s opinions. I look forward to the counter argument in favour of Keflings :)
To be clear, that was less a critique of the review and more an observation based upon it. Different things bug different people. When the reviewer was ticking off the things that he didn't like, my thoughts were, 1) that's just how the first one was and 2) that sounds great to me. Stuff that he didn't like (in World) I loved in Kingdom.

At any rate - I had to run out to work faster than I expected today, but I'll check out the game tonight. If there's no OT by then, I'll toss one together.
CitizenCope said:
Nailed it.
Can't wait. Think the original released around the holidays also. Love just relaxing and playing a game like this. Now I can try and get the wife to play it with me. :D
A Kingdom For Kelflings remains the only game to hook everyone in my house at the same time. It was a two-month nightly battle for time to build our kingdoms. :lol

PopfulMail

Has anyone bought Raskulls through Keflings yet? It doesnt seem to want me to dl the demo... but i can purchase the full game for 800 points. I havent gone through with it yet because ive blown through a shitton of points over the last few days with all these damn sales.

FrankT

PopfulMail said:
Has anyone bought Raskulls through Keflings yet? It doesnt seem to want me to dl the demo... but i can purchase the full game for 800 points. I havent gone through with it yet because ive blown through a shitton of points over the last few days with all these damn sales.

Totally forgot about this. Needs the demo ASAP. Already bought Keflings. I didn't buy the first one, but I also didn't want to pass this one up.

Also I should say totally too much to play right now.

PopfulMail

Theres a price of -1 ms point next to the demo option... And i believe negative values have been linked to crazy values or something before?? Maybe ive no clue what im thinking... but i have yet to confirm the dl for the demo because of this.

FrankT

Yea I see the trial game now for it, but it says buy for like 42 million points or something. :lol

Someone needs to fix that.

Edit: Yea I see the -1 now and if you go to buy now it says 42 million or whatever.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The way I got the Raskulls trial was to Click on the Raskulls Blueprint option, under the "build" menu, in World of Keflings. It asked if I wanted a Trial, to DL the full game, or back out, thus I selected the free trial.

I have to say, Raskulls is insanely charming, and I really wish I had it around back in the SNES days; the music is peppy, the way you select power ups when racing feels JUST like Mario Kart (even the sound effects are similiar), and the Megaquest mode is nicely fleshed out, with loveable little cinematics. The theme music + node gameplay of the quest really feels like a mini rpg, which I wouldn't mind seeing with these guys.

The Mr. Driller meets Racing gameplay seems pretty nice; it's like a "Dashin' Desperados" + "Driller" hybrid. The stages open with a variety of startpoints, leading to various chokepoints, which give you chances to rumble VS your competition, either directly (flame dashing through them, shocking them in the butt), or indirectly (solving quick puzzles in your path, and hiding in the safe areas as the world comes crashing in on them). It really helps keep the pace going well.

The party-game aspect, the atmosphere, and solid graphic work (I really like the style, personally) really make this feel like the perfect compliment to, say, a night of Bomberman, or something of the sort. Heck, I'd say I enjoy the presentation more than the recent Bomberman games, as it just seems more polished, whimsical, and developed. Kinda reminds me of an HD version or, say, "Megaman Powered Up".

I should note that characters unlocked in the Megaquest are opened up in multiplayer, so you do appear to have to play the Single player content to get all the characters for multiplayer. As I've just played the trial, I don't know if you can unlock things through online play (Or if the trial has online play, as I didn't even try the option.)

Leaderboard integration seems nice too (the boards pop up on the map, when you move over a stage in the quest), and there's some variety in the mode (From default races, to speeding through while maintaining frenzy mode, to making it through the stage with a limited number of block-destroying zaps), so it really seems to take it's structure as far as it can.

I'd say it's worth a look, and looks to be a solid buy at 800 pts. Even with all these sales in the next few days, I'm rather tempted to get it...

yophlow

Banned
^ Why, thank you for all those kind comments, and it seems you really picked up on the style we were going for. Very happy with the final product :)

After a year of amazing success on iPhone, we finally get to release our flagship XBLA title. Well, technically it's not out until next week, but players can get it early by downloading through World of Keflings as outlined. Happy to answer any questions you guys have about the game!

besiktas1

I just bought Raskulls blind. The trial didn't work and gave me that, it's worth a billion points thing.

Not regretting it. For 800pts it seems like there is a lot of stuff to do. Maybe because it is only the beginning but at my 1st race I found it hectic, just hovering near confusing. However more importantly though it was fun. It reminds me of another game not Driller, can't put my finger on it though.

Cutscenes are good and funny, I found my self enjoying them enough to do the VA my self out loud. Good thing no one is at home. :lol (The king had an English accent, but for some reason his general had an American one...)

Phil, my question is (not sure if already stated in thread but) who came up with this idea of cross promotion between the three games?

PopfulMail

SAB CA said:
The way I got the Raskulls trial was to Click on the Raskulls Blueprint option, under the "build" menu, in World of Keflings. It asked if I wanted a Trial, to DL the full game, or back out, thus I selected the free trial.

Was trying it this way and I got the jacked up cost. I've been looking forward to Raskulls... and the whole cross promotion thing has me sold so I guess I'll just throw some more points on my account this evening and buy it blind. Thanks for the impressions.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
PopfulMail said:
Was trying it this way and I got the jacked up cost. I've been looking forward to Raskulls... and the whole cross promotion thing has me sold so I guess I'll just throw some more points on my account this evening and buy it blind. Thanks for the impressions.
I guess that's the only option now that MS removed access to the trial. That's... kind of devious.

FrankT

Man really want to try that demo now and that was part of the deal so there should be no reason why Keflings owners shouldn't be able to access it. Anyhow, will have to wait until next week to buy when I have more points on hand.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
HalfbrickPhil said:
^ Why, thank you for all those kind comments, and it seems you really picked up on the style we were going for. Very happy with the final product :)

After a year of amazing success on iPhone, we finally get to release our flagship XBLA title. Well, technically it's not out until next week, but players can get it early by downloading through World of Keflings as outlined. Happy to answer any questions you guys have about the game!

Quite welcome ^_^ Loved the Ammo the King Skull used to pitch his messages out the window, lol. (Why it's a pile of... Ooooo. HA!)

It'd be great if you guys could somehow make a deal with Hudson to stick Bomberman into this game (I guess it comes to mind, beyond party fun, because you both have the Destructoid mascot in your games). Would be great to have a mini Bomber in Raskulls, and the King as a costume set in one of the Bomb-Up packs.

No questions yet, still have to get points in order to purchase (so many sales this week!)

PopfulMail said:

No problem! And to address that awkward point cost stuff...

SapientWolf said:
I guess that's the only option now that MS removed access to the trial. That's... kind of devious.

...I think Live's just being stupid again. I got the same -1 cost mess when I tried to DL Gameroom game pack 13 from the Marketplace/In game yesterday. I worked around it by getting the link off xbox.com, but that won't work here... yet I think it proves it's not a removal of this trial, just some kinda stupid server-side Live error. Hopefully it'll be cleared up...

xbhaskarx

Sweet, I didn't know we could get Raskulls already.

But now I have Ilomilo, Keflings, and Raskulls, so there is nothing to look forward to for the next few weeks, it's like opening all your presents on Xmas eve. :lol

yophlow

Banned
besiktas1 said:
Phil, my question is (not sure if already stated in thread but) who came up with this idea of cross promotion between the three games?

It was a joint effort between us and Microsoft. After so long, and with these three games in particular being great "G-rated but awesome for everyone" games, we wanted to try something a bit more involved than just a simple branded promotion. It worked out well because it gives fans of the games a chance to get them early, but no extra cost. And I'm also glad the games are all 800 points, it's a very attractive price point right now.

So basically we wanted to announce the release date a bit earlier, but because we were still working on details with Microsoft, had to keep quiet for a few weeks extra :)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
xbhaskarx said:
Sweet, I didn't know we could get Raskulls already.

But now I have Ilomilo, Keflings, and Raskulls, so there is nothing to look forward to for the next few weeks, it's like opening all your presents on Xmas eve. :lol
Lol. Same here.

Raskulls is like Mr Driller with platformimg.

Shard said:
The Forgotten Realms are under attack by the evil Zhentarim, as the next generation of the most popular fantasy role-playing game launches another thrilling interactive adventure. Atari, one of the world's most recognised publishers and producers of interactive entertainment and Bedlam Games announced today Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale. Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale marks the first digital download release for the franchise on Xbox LIVE Arcade, PlayStation Network, and Windows PC Download at Atari.com in Spring 2011.

Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale centers on the desperate struggle to defeat the evil Rezlus and his Zhentarim in their attempt to invade and conquer the Dalelands. Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale is an engaging multi-player experience that introduces a riveting narrative and treacherous new characters. Players are charged with the task of restoring order to Nentir Vale by unlocking the secrets of the Mines of Tethyamar, defeating the evil within the treacherous Tower of the Void, leading to the final confrontation with Rezlus himself.

Action-packed RPG gameplay allows for solo and co-op play for up to four players. Gamers use intuitive pick-up-and-play combat combined with a wide assortment of weapons, feats and powers to defeat a wide range of deadly enemies. Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale boasts an array of stunning levels and exploration opportunities set in the richly detailed environments.

I've been dying for some new D&D stuff. Is this based off the shitty new edition?

So the official release date for Raskulls in next week on the 29th? If so, I'll check it out then as I've been on a vacation from console gaming thanks to WoW and Steam sales!

Sad_Panda

Raskulls is a very charming and well-crafted game, which is sadly over way, way too soon. It took me less than 3 hours to beat the game, with most of the extra challenges completed, and there's not much in the way of replayability, since the multiplayer part doesn't sound like much fun.
I thought it was basically Mr Driller with a racing component at first, but Raskulls is definitely more than that, and the game expands on other neat ideas the more you progress into Story Mode. Too bad the game never really takes advantage of those ideas with more levels.

Got Lara Croft when it was on sale.
It is so damn good, and apparently long as hell. The first two stages took me 25 minutes a pop and there are how many total? Gonna be playing this one for awhile.

xbhaskarx

Kafel said:
Honorable Mentions

Dead Rising: Case Zero (XBLA, Capcom)
Darwinia+ (XBLA, Introversion Software)
DeathSpank (XBLA / PSN, Hothead Games)
Jett Rocket (WiiWare)
Limbo (XBLA, PlayDead Studios)
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (XBLA, The Odd Gentlemen)
Swords & Soldiers HD (PSN, Ronimo Games)
Zeno Clash: Ultimate Edition (XBLA, Ace Team)

Wow, Lara Croft didn't even make the Honorable Mentions section :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sad_Panda said:
Raskulls is a very charming and well-crafted game, which is sadly over way, way too soon. It took me less than 3 hours to beat the game, with most of the extra challenges completed, and there's not much in the way of replayability, since the multiplayer part doesn't sound like much fun.
I thought it was basically Mr Driller with a racing component at first, but Raskulls is definitely more than that, and the game expands on other neat ideas the more you progress into Story Mode. Too bad the game never really takes advantage of those ideas with more levels.
The multiplayer sounds like the main attraction. Mr Driller wasn't exactly known for having a deep and engaging Story Mode. It was eviscerated by critics when the online multiplayer didn't function properly at launch.

Rlan

xbhaskarx said:
Wow, Lara Croft didn't even make the Honorable Mentions section :lol

I couldn't get into LC honestly. I've barely played it :/

And I just unlocked the final multiplayer character for Raskulls. So nice to finally play this game while watching everyone else make it :D

segarr

I know they completely messed up making Quake Arena Arcade 15$ but after playing the demo, I gotta give the dev props on a job well done on the port. The I.Q. is one of the best I've seen on a console in awhile. It's so sharp and not a jaggie in sight. Must be 4xAA. Buttery smooth 60fps too. Such a shame about the price though and the control can never stack up to a mouse...

goldenpp72

segarr said:
I know they completely messed up making Quake Arena Arcade 15$ but after playing the demo, I gotta give the dev props on a job well done on the port. The I.Q. is one of the best I've seen on a console in awhile. It's so sharp and not a jaggie in sight. Must be 4xAA. Buttery smooth 60fps too. Such a shame about the price though and the control can never stack up to a mouse...

The abundance of glitches don't help (I bought it)

segarr

HalfbrickPhil said:

Congrats on that finally being out. Seems like it took longer to release than I would have expected because it looked "done" months ago in the trailers you released. I really like Halfbrick btw. Your earlier support for XBLIG was great. I'm sorry it wasn't quite sustainable for you financially but at least you got to reuse those games for other avenues. Your games just have a certain thing about them as well, like you guys just "get" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom