• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - JUNE 2012 (combined NeoGAF spend in May: 0 Microsoft Points)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's possible, maybe even probable, that XNA support will not carry over to whatever hardware is the successor of the 360. I say this based firstly on the fact that it's clear that XBLIG are not such a selling point that there'd be a lot of pressure towards needing BC, based secondly on the fact that MS as a whole appears to be moving away from XNA (as documented in many places), and based thirdly on the fact that if MS needed to force, for example, devs to recompile their games against a newer API, easily three quarters of the games on the service would simply vanish.

Given this, I'd like to see XNA devs make decisions to either release their games for free on PC or to consider selling them somewhere, like perhaps Desura, on PC. I think MS will equally ditch XNA on PC, but at the very least it provides a pretty effective place to start in terms of getting them running.

Has there been any conversation in the dev community about this?

nasos_333

It's possible, maybe even probable, that XNA support will not carry over to whatever hardware is the successor of the 360. I say this based firstly on the fact that it's clear that XBLIG are not such a selling point that there'd be a lot of pressure towards needing BC, based secondly on the fact that MS as a whole appears to be moving away from XNA (as documented in many places), and based thirdly on the fact that if MS needed to force, for example, devs to recompile their games against a newer API, easily three quarters of the games on the service would simply vanish.

Given this, I'd like to see XNA devs make decisions to either release their games for free on PC or to consider selling them somewhere, like perhaps Desura, on PC. I think MS will equally ditch XNA on PC, but at the very least it provides a pretty effective place to start in terms of getting them running.

The news so far are like that, but that does not mean they wont have an easy way to translate XNA games to the new more managed DirectX C++ structure, which is what they plan for imo

If they can provide the same samples in C++ , like the RPG kit etc, there will surly be a way to translate many of the games to DirectX

Also xbox 360 will last many more years, so i dont think they will stop the support for that or PC

I guess in a system like 720 and with the managed code of XNA they could easilly make a emulator of sorts to run all those games fine, cant be that hard

Gaspode_T

Many, many devs are already porting to Desura or trying very hard to get on Steam. Frankly I think XNA devs might have a market in continuing to sell to people who have 360 even until end of 2013 or whatever, but of course it will probably be niche stuff that is successful.

Why use XNA over something like Unity or MonoGame or SharpDX is starting to get harder and harder to justify, but I still think it is nice for learning (I am messing around with it for a few projects now)

I expect Windows Phone to be the platform that continues to support XNA games for a looong time because I can't imagine them saying "hey you bunch of games on the marketplace, sorry but bugger off"

Even if this IDC report is even far off, even if WP platform only grows to low double digit or something - that would still probably be a pretty big opportunity for XNA devs...if it DOES turn out to be true, some XNA devs will probably laugh their way to the bank as they will be able to pump out games arguably faster than C++ devs can: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/why-idc-predicts-windows-phone-will-surpass-ios-by-2016/

I have seen a list of games coming to Windows 8, for a while some months before that I thought "oh I should tell XBLIG devs to drop what they are doing and prepare for Windows 8 because it will be huge opportunity with a fresh open marketplace to jump onto"...I hate to be the bearer of bad news but don't get your hopes up about not having much competition :p

The days of an open marketplace that has little competition but high demand appears to be a thing of the past, it happened when XBLIG first launched and apparently some of the first "community games" as they were called then pulled some ridiculous numbers for how crappy they were.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Many, many devs are already porting to Desura or trying very hard to get on Steam. Frankly I think XNA devs might have a market in continuing to sell to people who have 360 even until end of 2013 or whatever, but of course it will probably be niche stuff that is successful.

Honestly I'm not really thinking about it from a marketing or profit perspective, more a game preservation perspective. I know that a developer doesn't want to spend hundreds of hours working on a game they emotionally moved past 3 years ago and that isn't generating any revenue.

I mean, like, I own Supercow. It's fun, but if it stopped working, I probably wouldn't care all that much. I played it. It was good. I don't expect to play it again. But knowing that it exists on PC is a good thing, because even if it disappeared off XBLIG, I'd still feel like I have the potential to go play it. I can't say the same thing for many of my XBLIG, though.

(Also: You have an avatar!)

Edit: Just doubled back on everything I own on XBLIG and where I'd have to rebuy it if the service closed down:
Code:
Machiavelli's Ascent		iOS
Miner Dig Deep			N/A
CarneyVale Showtime		WP7, GFWL
A Fading Melody			N/A
Supercow			PC (Other)
Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp	Homebrew DS
Being				N/A
Halfbrick Echoes		PSP Minis
Arkedo Series 01 Jump		PSN Minis
Pixel Man			N/A (semi remake on WP7)
Johnny Platform Saves Christmas	Free on PC
Arkedo Series 03 Pixel		PSN Minis
The Impossible Game		iOS, Android, PSN Minis, WP7
Plucky's 3d Adventure		N/A
Shoot 1UP			WP7
Breath of Death VII		PC (Steam)
Office Disorders		N/A
CaveIn Miner Rescue Team	??? N/A
Ophidian Wars			??? N/A
Platformance Castle Pain	WP7
Epic Dungeon/Cursed Loot	N/A
Cthulhu Saves the World		PC (Steam)
Oozi Episode 1			N/A
Platformance Temple Death	WP7
TEC3001				OnLive
Apple Jack			N/A
DLC Quest			PC (Desura), Mac App Store
Escape Goat			??? N/A
Oozi Episode 2			N/A
VolChaos			??? N/A
マイケルの不思議な冒険		??? N/A
Growing Pains			N/A
Mute Crimson			N/A
Null Divide			N/A

Pretty brutal.

nasos_333

Why use XNA over something like Unity or MonoGame or SharpDX is starting to get harder and harder to justify, but I still think it is nice for learning (I am messing around with it for a few projects now)

I expect Windows Phone to be the platform that continues to support XNA games for a looong time because I can't imagine them saying "hey you bunch of games on the marketplace, sorry but bugger off"

Even if this IDC report is even far off, even if WP platform only grows to low double digit or something - that would still probably be a pretty big opportunity for XNA devs...if it DOES turn out to be true, some XNA devs will probably laugh their way to the bank as they will be able to pump out games arguably faster than C++ devs can: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06/why-idc-predicts-windows-phone-will-surpass-ios-by-2016/

I have seen a list of games coming to Windows 8, for a while some months before that I thought "oh I should tell XBLIG devs to drop what they are doing and prepare for Windows 8 because it will be huge opportunity with a fresh open marketplace to jump onto"...I hate to be the bearer of bad news but don't get your hopes up about not having much competition :p

The days of an open marketplace that has little competition but high demand appears to be a thing of the past, it happened when XBLIG first launched and apparently some of the first "community games" as they were called then pulled some ridiculous numbers for how crappy they were.

From what i gather SharpDX does not support xbox 360 or windows 7 phone

Sure it is great for the future, but seems XNA is still the ultimate way to make a game for all of 360/PC/WP7 and keep one code base for everything with a really simple language

Also would be huge to port to SharpDX and MS come up with a better solution to port XNA code to a managed DirectX environment, which is a possibility and coule also be compatible with the next xbox

If a developer wants to target PC only of course that is a whole different matter

clockpunk

The devs of A Pixel Escape have just tweeted that a major revamp of the clunky control and awkward movement systems will be updated soon. As the biggest source of complaint (and even then, it was copable with), that news is good to hear.

The devs of A Pixel Escape have just tweeted that a major revamp of the clunky control and awkward movement systems will be updated soon. As the biggest source of complaint (and even then, it was copable with), that news is good to hear.

They should make it side on instead of first-person

Mute Crimson N/A
Null Divide N/A

By the time you can't play these on your 360 I will probably have released the games (and probably full source code) as freeware. The only reason I haven't released them as freeware is because I haven't had the time to make them into decent PC versions. Or maybe I could take the time and actually try to really, really fix them up a bit and try to put them on Desura sometime.

Trumpets

Stumpokapow said:
Apple Jack N/A

I'll release both Apple Jack games on PC (as a double pack) once the Xbox version of AJ2 is done with. And when I can be arsed.

toythatkills said:
They should make it side on instead of first-person

I told them that in peer review. I suppose allowing it to be played side on removes the cool sense that you're playing inside a monitor, but it would make it more playable.

Played through some 2D shooter/RPG dealie. It's about some girl and her flying table that goes through the world destroying CDs, boxes, and...I don't know it was stupid.

Gaspode_T

I have like 140 XBLIGs or something ridiculous like that so trust me I am worried about the same preservation thing too, but I am worried about things way bigger than that lately when it comes to the Xbox team :p

Speaking of XBLIGs being ported to Steam, I hope Escape Goat makes it on there, he just released a trailer for the PC version and it looks like it is receiving a bunch of new content including some sort of nightmarish world:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMXqy-ZP-AA

Another cool looking upcoming game is "qrth-phyl" ??? by the creator of Leave Home...this trailer has me hooked, I have no idea what is going on but this guy knows how to push my buttons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixDv1aMFJ9w Might be...the most stylish snake game ever made? (what is it with snake games lately anyway)

I hope they carry these games over but more importantly, next gen they need to implement some kind of quality control (more than just "does it run") and at least 100 gamer score to each title. Making it not quite XBLA but more than it is at it's current state. More than a trash bin, basically.

The service has proven that it can be of value and can make money, but MS just needs to try harder. But I'm sure this point has been argued to death already.

When companies like Gameloft make a game for the service and never come back, you know it's in trouble.

Gaspode_T

My hope is that Xbox Live services eventually fall somewhere right in between "anyone can have achievements" (GameCenter on iOS) and "if the stars align and you talk to the right people and you were born on an odd day and you tickle the fancy of some random gatekeeper" (Steam or Xbox Live access)

There have been pretty well documented steps towards making it technically possible to make it more open, they talked about some of these things at the last Gamefest conference. I would say up until recently it was not really technically possible to do.

Making clear criteria to get XBL API access would be a nice step - for Xbox they have something called Registered Developer Program where you can register with them but not buy a dev kit ($$$$), maybe my best scenario would be "You register with us? You get achievements" but the success of Steam is probably not really making it seem necessary to tear down the walls...it is kind of a philosophy of being open versus being closed, and the Xbox team has always leaned towards the closed model as you see with how they handle XBLA.

Windows team and Windows Store is 100% behind the open app store model, so it creates some opportunity to influence the situation...if Windows 8 in general is successful then the balance of power might swing in open marketplace favor, but as we have talked about before XNA devs have to adapt to jump on the Windows 8 bandwagon...

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Hey guys. So, we're just about ready to upload Rainslick3 to the XNA Playtesting forums! Super excited to be almost ready to launch this game. We've done lots of testing and playtesting on the PC version, but we're just now going through the XBLIG version to make sure everything is in good shape there.

So feel free to log in, try out, and give feedback on Rainslick in the playtest forums if you have an xblig dev membership account!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sorry for the stupid question but... If the service closed down, wouldn't I be able to keep playing the games I bought anyway?

I dare you to disconnect your console from online and try to launch an XBLIG.

I'll release both Apple Jack games on PC (as a double pack) once the Xbox version of AJ2 is done with. And when I can be arsed.

That's all I'm looking for, really. I'm in no rush personally.

By the time you can't play these on your 360 I will probably have released the games (and probably full source code) as freeware. The only reason I haven't released them as freeware is because I haven't had the time to make them into decent PC versions. Or maybe I could take the time and actually try to really, really fix them up a bit and try to put them on Desura sometime.

Thanks.

Dambrosi

Banned
Given that I just posted this in the old thread, I guess I will post this here.
~70-80 codes probably
-----------
FREE CODES for some older games I made.

Some have already been used.

Quote to Reveal

3/15/2011 Mute Crimson VDQMP-7CMD2-VRJ4F-X899Y-7CQXJ

11/6/2010 Null Divide VP4HC-7X4VG-8VC9K-F4DRC-G682T
-----------

Redeemed, thanks for the freebies. Much appreciated.

vireland

toythatkills already knows, but I thought I'd put it out there that my son put up the trailer for his first XBLIG, a twin stick shooter called Space Crüesader. It's entered in Dream Build Play 2012, and it's in playtest now.

It's basically done, but he's fine tuning it based on playtest feedback and finishing up some odds and ends while the DBP judging is going on this summer. It will be released once the DBP 2012 finalists and winners are announced.

The trailer is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv927tcUIZg&feature=youtu.be

Check it out!

Looks like it's weird Japanese game day on XBLIG

SHOOTING CHICKEN BrutalSuckers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4hdZhxHmiw

screen2.jpg

Sepak Venuses - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc-8vYeJX7E

screen3.jpg

slash000

Zeboyd Games
With all due respect to all the great games on XBLIG, I can't seriously consider it a viable platform in the future. = (

Can you support Xblig in addition to other platforms?

We're going to keep doing XBLIG in addition to PC (and smartphones/tablets) as long as we're doing XNA (and Unity ports for the other platforms).

Feep

Banned
Can you support Xblig in addition to other platforms?

We're going to keep doing XBLIG in addition to PC (and smartphones/tablets) as long as we're doing XNA (and Unity ports for the other platforms).
I can't. The reasons for this would be...saying too much. >.>

Feep

Banned
My next game is either going to blow everyone's fucking mind, or be a miserable failure. I have no idea which.

Edit: Episode 3 is looking rad, man, just watched the HD gameplay feed = D

I leave this thread alone for a few days, and it takes me an entire lunch break to catch up.

I doubt (actually, strongly believe) that XNA is not being brought over to the new console. Everything MS has been hinting at is geared towards the metro interface with C++. And now UnrealEngine 4 is in C++ instead of UnrealScript! Looks like we need to start sharpening up on C++ from the looks of things.

MonoGame, an open source tool for porting XNA to Metro and other platforms, has confirmed today that it will pass MS cert for games in the new Windows store.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Good news everyone, we finished and polished up Rainslick 3. It's ready to go!

As such we're moving up the release date, and so the game will be released on XBox Live Indie Games (and Windows/PC via Steam) on the 25th of this month! (*assuming nothing goes awry in playtest or peer review on xblig)

Here's a link to Jerry Holkins' (Tycho) post on Penny Arcade, and the pertinent part:

On The Rain-Slick Precipice Of Darkness: Episode 3 was well received at E3, which is nice, because we tried desperately to bring about that very result. We’re committed to releasing it “When It’s Done” as they say, and it is done, so waiting until July seems dumb. How does the 25th sound, for Steam and XBLIG? Zeboyd is throwing in Cthulhu Saves The World for Steam purchases in the first week, which I thought was sweet of them. The ports are… porting, EVEN NOW, and the PC version will have SteamPlay when Mac goes live. The trailer goes up Monday; I am trying not to be excited, to temper my expectations, but I am not doing a very good job .

http://penny-arcade.com/

Good news everyone, we finished and polished up Rainslick 3. It's ready to go!

As such we're moving up the release date, and so the game will be released on XBox Live Indie Games (and Windows/PC via Steam) on the 25th of this month! (*assuming nothing goes awry in playtest or peer review on xblig)

Haha, I'm glad I ducked out of doing the next XBLIG thread, wouldn't like a choice between that and Apple Jack 2 assuming both meet their potential!

In other news, Avatar Farm is 80pts again. Really? We're doing this?

In other other news, Upskirt Volleyball might actually not be that bad a game. It's sort of hard to tell since the "English" in the tutorial is so bad that I couldn't actually work out what one of the recaps wanted from me so didn't quite get into a game, but there's actual potential for the game to not be shit if you position yourself and play well.

Alright that does it!
Fuck Brutal Chicken Shooting Fuckers.

Hate this game so much.

-Goofy combo system
-Unlocking "extra elements" is a massive grind
-Freaking ridiculous hit-detection
-Side-weapons never have enough ammo
-Main-weapon sucks
-Heroine takes way too much damage
-FUCK THIS GAME
-Ranking system is ultra-ridiculous.
-Lag that causes input drops.
-UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

Started up Mortal Legacies and saw this:

"Your mother has given you gold to spend on a pendant for your mother to remember you by from a smithy north west of your house."

Also it took me six turns to kill a wasp. I'm done with this game.

vireland

Alright that does it!
Fuck Brutal Chicken Shooting Fuckers.

Hate this game so much.

-Freaking ridiculous hit-detection

This is a common problem with the indie games. With all the help available in the XNA community, I have no idea why people send games out that have horrible hit detection. Getting it right is not brain surgery, and all they have to do is ask for help to get really good ideas about how to fix the problem.

This is a common problem with the indie games. With all the help available in the XNA community, I have no idea why people send games out that have horrible hit detection. Getting it right is not brain surgery, and all they have to do is ask for help to get really good ideas about how to fix the problem.

Yup. StackExchange is your friend, use it.

I plan on playing through a bit of PA3 for Peer Review, if it's still available when I get a chance tomorrow.

Wow, someone finally beat the impossible game! Title change soon?

qupe1975

Neo Member
Apple Jack 2 is out. Go get it.

I have just had a quick go and got to Chapter 8, this Chapter has a few niggles for me (but I think I am getting shitter at games).

Each Chapter has 3 targets; coins, max combo and no deaths, hit the targets on each level to earn a star. I can see some of these being a challenge to get.

I shall leave it there for now.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children

I've said it since Microsoft started showing they didn't give a fuck about XNA anymore, but everyone should just use it as a PC kit and try to aim for Steam DD quality at the very least to release their games. XBLIG is going downhill fast, a shame since it brought forth so much goodness but still a sad truth. If making higher quality PC DD games is not an option they should move on to other tools

Cheddahz

Banned
Nah man, this thread is all made up!

Of course they do! Were you a fan of them in the past? You may have a lot to catch up on.
I bought Cthulhu Saves The World, Breath of Death VII, and West a year or so ago. I stopped paying attention to the Indie Games section when it looked like the only indie games being released were a bunch of Minecraft rip-offs

We're still plugging away at Nono and the Cursed Treasure. Our 5 1/2 month old baby has slowed things down quite a bit but besides adding Awardments, the game is for the most part done. Now we need to learn how to convert from C++ to C#/XNA and hopefully it won't be too much longer.

We'll probably go for 240msp.

Top Bottom