• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - JUNE 2012 (combined NeoGAF spend in May: 0 Microsoft Points)

Gaspode_T

For me, tower defense is supposed to be this hard. It's about losing over and over and refining and revising your strategy each time and getting further, like a kind of puzzle, I guess.

There isn't much more pointless than easy tower defense, because at that point it's basically a game playing itself!

I am getting my butt handed to me in geoDefense Swarm hard levels, playing them little by little to not lose my sanity and trying to avoid watching YouTube solution videos.

My problem with Defense Grid is I have a hard time resisting speeding up the level and then when I lose too quickly I get annoyed.

I think tower defense has a lot of template code out there on the internet (like...full working source code up for grabs) which is one of the reasons a lot of them come out, if people did something a little bit more interesting I thought they would sell better but the game that combined zombie action and hillbillies didnt seem to do very well.

My problem with Defense Grid is I have a hard time resisting speeding up the level and then when I lose too quickly I get annoyed.

The wave-rewind in Defense Grid is great, though, and really stops me getting annoyed when I lose. Being able to adjust a strategy wave by wave is really what tower defense is all about, and not having to restart an entire level all the time is great.

... the game that combined zombie action and hillbillies didnt seem to do very well.

I think that was about the presentation, really. It kind of looks like a total mess. The art style felt intentional, but on a service where 90% of the games look like a total mess because they're rubbish games, it kind of loses any chance it had of being noticed.

Couple more trailers of stuff that just came out.

Andy's Notepad, looks like a twin-stick, but is one of very, very few games that manage to do the "doodle" aesthetic and have it look awesome.

Go Gimbal Go rates highly on the "what the fuck did I just watch" scale. It's either going to be the best game ever, or the worst game ever.

OnPoint

Finished Apple Jack 2 on hardcore today.

That was a challenge for many a reason.

What are the stars for int he upper right hand corner of the main menu?

There are three "objectives" for each level, complete it without dying, max combo, and collecting all the coins, and you get a star for every level you complete all the objectives on.

Patch for it is out now, bug fixes I believe.

OnPoint

There are three "objectives" for each level, complete it without dying, max combo, and collecting all the coins, and you get a star for every level you complete all the objectives on.

Patch for it is out now, bug fixes I believe.

Ahh, I getcha now.

It did Code 4 on me a few times in the last 20 levels of the game, so that's good that there's a fix.

Gaspode_T

I tried Andy's Notepad, it might be fun if it has multiplayer, the sound FX are a little too loud considering it has some nice sci-fi music but there are settings where you can adjust it or turn it off. The game play is not really twin stick it is like asteroids with twin stick and gravity. The enemies seem to be pretty weak, for how much they were hitting me I would ahve probably been dying like crazy so that must have been a result of playtesting.

Edit: Also the Famitsu 360 Indie Games of Month for Aug 2012 are Mig Madness, 1 on 1 Soccer and Apple Jack 2.

Mig Madness looks interesting, I will have to check it out. Like Time Pilot...

OnPoint

Grabbed PAep3 last night.

So much dialogue that has no context if you haven't played the previous two games... but the game itself is fun.

Trumpets

OnPoint said:

Well done! I probably should have added something extra for people who get all 61 stars, but so few people will ever do it I didn't bother.

OnPoint said:
Grabbed PAep3 last night.

So much dialogue that has no context if you haven't played the previous two games... but the game itself is fun.

I simply cannot suffer the Penny Arcade comic strips at any price so I'll have to give it a miss, regrettably.

OnPoint

Well done! I probably should have added something extra for people who get all 61 stars, but so few people will ever do it I didn't bother.

I simply cannot suffer the Penny Arcade comic strips at any price so I'll have to give it a miss, regrettably.

I'll have you know that I was cursing your name during several of the levels lol Finishing the game on that difficulty was a matter of pride. The credits were definitely amusing, though.

Couple of things. The one level where you
fall through the spikes, then hit the switch, then fall through the same level with different spikes (sorry I don't remember the name)
can be Code 4'd every time if you jump while the level is scrolling back up to the top the second time. I don't know if you got that one.

Also,
I couldn't pause during Level 61, where the giant apple is chasing you. Was that intentional? I also wasn't a big fan of how long it took for the apple to show up. It made that level so much more tedious on hardcore lol it was like an extra 15 seconds per retry!

If there's an Apple Jack 3, I'll definitely be playing through on normal. You win, good sir. You win.

Trumpets

Onpoint said:
I'll have you know that I was cursing your name during several of the levels lol Finishing the game on that difficulty was a matter of pride. The credits were definitely amusing, though.

Couple of things. The one level where you
fall through the spikes, then hit the switch, then fall through the same level with different spikes (sorry I don't remember the name)
can be Code 4'd every time if you jump while the level is scrolling back up to the top the second time. I don't know if you got that one.

Yeah, that bug actually applied to any level with a hole at the bottom, and has now been patched.

Onpoint said:
Also,
I couldn't pause during Level 61, where the giant apple is chasing you. Was that intentional? I also wasn't a big fan of how long it took for the apple to show up. It made that level so much more tedious on hardcore lol it was like an extra 15 seconds per retry!

That was intentional,
the joke being that the pause menu has turned evil and is trying to crush you to death. I can see how the long wait for the level to start would be annoying though - I applaud your perseverance!

OnPoint

That was intentional,
the joke being that the pause menu has turned evil and is trying to crush you to death. I can see how the long wait for the level to start would be annoying though - I applaud your perseverance!

Well that makes all kinds of sense now.

Eclectus

Neo Member
Astralis power-walking in kinda funny. I kinda like it, as the game looks almost like it could fit in the simple 2000 series with an EDF game.

Thanks :) We actually updated the run animation before our DBP2012 submission, but after the point where this video footage was taken. Here is a link to the HD version of the trialer:

ASTRALIS Video 1 (HD) - Dream Build Play 2012

Simple 2000 and EDF is an intriguing comparison, did they run at 60?

OnPoint

Thanks :) We actually updated the run animation before our DBP-<a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">2012</a></a></a></a> submission, but after the point where this video footage was taken. Here is a link to the HD version of the trialer:

ASTRALIS Video 1 (HD) - Dream Build Play 2012

Simple 2000 and EDF is an intriguing comparison, did they run at 60?

Hey friend. We've actually moved on to this month's thread. Join us there :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480808

Top Bottom