• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The July 2011 Thread

x8Kys.gif

There was some good stuff released this month, but it was no May. Oh, May, how I loved you. <strokes May> I think a lot of the awesome stuff we might have seen this month is being held back for the Summer Uprising so I’m blaming Kris and Dave entirely for this!

You can buy any of these games via xbox.com by clicking the link associated with each game, or on the Games Marketplace on your Xbox 360. Simply enter the marketplace and scroll up to Indie Games, where you can check the top rated titles, the games that have just come out, or “browse” to find the games mentioned in this thread. Indie Game trials last eight minutes, which is often enough to establish what you think about it. Even if you don’t buy any of these games, at least trial them, tell people what you think, get more people trying them.

Go. Play. Enjoy. Tell us what you think! Tell all your friends! Get them to tell all their friends…

(Xbox LIVE Indie Games are available in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom and the United States. If you’re outside those countries you can still play these games by setting up a Gamertag for free for one of those countries. It’s worth doing.)

eknpv.jpg

The Gold award, for the absolute best game that came out last month.

Rainbow Runner is an endless runner which, since the iPhone, has become an incredibly crowded genre.

iMtQu.jpg

What a game needs to do, then, is do something different because otherwise you’ll be as tiresome as the rest of them. Rainbow Runner does something differently.

What it does differently is Ikaruga-esque. The enemies are all colour-coded and running through them when you’re the same colour (changed via the face buttons) destroys them without you having to shoot. Run through them with the wrong colour and you’ll lose health. Usually it’s a choice between shooting and bashing through because shooting is done via the right stick, and unless you use controllers in a really weird way the same thumb is used for that and the face buttons.

You can’t absorb fire like in Ikaruga, and so when a boss appears the game suddenly turns into a bullet-hell endless runner hybrid, and it works incredibly well.

TbsGK.jpg

You’ll be wanting loads of modes, so the game’s got them. You’ll be wanting different difficulty levels and the game’s got a bunch of them, too. Anything else you want?

Stop being greedy. It’s only 80 points, and wants to be part of your collection, thanks.

5x6gz6.jpg

The Silver award, for games that are incredible, but hey, only one game can be the Gold award winner. In any other month, any of these could have earned it!

Bunker Buster is one of two games Magiko released this month, the other being PLATFORMANCE: Temple Death. Bunker Buster couldn’t really be any different.

0OGwZ.jpg

The game is kinda like a game I played on my dad’s Sinclair QL when I was a kid. In it, a helicopter moved from left to right and moved down a few pixels every time it crossed the screen. You had to bomb skyscrapers one floor at a time because if you didn’t, you’d get too low and crash into them.

It was ace, and so is this. Your craft automatically flies side to side and you can use fuel to control your elevation. You simply have to bomb all the targets in a level to go up a rank and on to the next level. If you lose a level you’ll go down a rank and if you get demoted too far you’ll lose the game. It’s quite compelling trying to beat it without losing a rank, I’ve not seen this “lives” system before but it works really well.

What else works well is the variation in levels. Your plane’s physics change, its rate of fire, and the level layouts and enemies. The concept is simple but every level feels new and totally different. It’s great.

=================

Tacticolor is RISK in real-time. I’ve actually never played risk but it’s how I’m led to understand RISK plays.

Uuxid.jpg

I honestly don’t know what more I can say. You simply have to take over a board by building up your troops and then attacking an enemy territory, with dice rolls deciding the victor depending on how many units you have ready. You have to really keep an eye on stuff, with it being real-time. While you’re waiting for troops to get ready your enemy could launch an attack and it’s a really interesting take on what is a quite traditional mechanic.

Then there’s the presentation to mention, because it looks brilliant. Crisp, clean, modern, just very nice indeed. There’s multiplayer, single player, various difficulties, and in-game awards to earn. It’s right good.

=================

Kung Fu FIGHT! is another endless runner, but much more traditional than Rainbow Runner is.

XEKaI.jpg

So, why isn’t it tiresome? Mainly because of the number of things you have to keep track of, and how closely you need to pay attention if you want to be successful. As an example, there’s a sumo wrestler enemy who leaps into the air to belly-flop you. Sometimes you’ll need to slide underneath him to get past, and sometimes his jump will be timed differently and so you’ll need to leap over the top instead. There’s a subtle difference to look for and react to, and it’s this constant need for attention that makes this fun. Usually you can play these games in a daze without thinking, but not so here.

It looks great, and has a sense of humour too. These things never hurt.

=================

Avatar Battle Bees is a competitive online game with avatars, and bees. There are some single player modes too, but online or in multiplayer is where you’ll want to be the most.

7DFWZ.jpg

For some reason, your avatar is flying around on a bee. A bee which happens to be armed with missiles and guns. I don’t know much about bees and so have to assume that that’s how they really work. It’s an, erm, one of those games where you fly around and shoot at other stuff, kind of like Ace Combat. It’s that genre. Flight-em-up? I don’t even know. But you know what I mean.

It’s fun, it controls really well and there are loads of modes. Presentation is XBLA standard, too, there are no dodgy fonts here. Really good stuff.

=================

PLATFORMANCE: Temple Death is of course, entirely bloody awesome. I probably would have made it game of the month but since Castle Pain already took that award and something else appeared in a rainbow of awesome, I gave that a chance.

K0V9B.jpg

It’s more of the same, Platformance-wise. You’ve got one screen with tons of obstacles in your quest to get to the girl and to the top of the online-leaderboards, which are totally addictive. Deaths happen basically everywhere, and the game is awesome.

It’s not quite as good as Castle Pain, as a few obstacles feel a bit more random and so impossible to plan for than they did in Castle Pain, but it’s still brilliant and still addictive as hell and still only 80 points, so why are you waiting?

27yn4nr.jpg

The Bronze Award, not the best games out this month, but every one of these is still either great, or has a really unique aspect to it that more than makes it worth trying.

Sudo-Quick isn’t the best representation of Sudoku ever, because that requires a piece of paper and a pencil. It is a really cool videogame implementation, though, with a focus on speed and easy controls. You’re told what box to fill in and then you fill it, so you don’t have to hang around working out every possibility for every box because you can always work out the one box it’s given you. This does make it kind of easy, but with timers and such there’s still pressure. It’s like Sudoku as an action game, or something.

Arc Lancer is a twin-stick kinda game, in space. It’s not just score attacking though, you have missions to take on, upgrades to buy and it’s all rather fun. Even the actual twin-stick part which is usually rubbish.

Insanity X is I don’t know what it is. You just kill all the enemies on a screen and move on (or just leave them and move on). You go from room to room to room until you die. I don’t know if there’s a win condition or anything, but it’s strangely playable anyway, even not knowing what the point is.

Pixelbit Helicopter Challenge is similar to Rotor, in that it’s a helicopter game with mini challenges and stuff to complete. It’s not quite as stylish as Rotor though, and the controls are much simpler so when you complete a challenge, there’s not quite as much satisfaction as there is when you master something in Rotor. It’s still fun, just an easier kind of fun.

Monster Escape is a puzzle game in which you have to build paths for monsters and collect eggs, reach exits, and avoid enemies and the such. Nice presentation, and a very interesting idea. It could have been implemented better, but it’s still worth having a go to see a puzzle game you’ve not seen before.

Them Blockz is another puzzle game, and it’s Sokoban-like in a way. You move around and as you move, blocks stick to you. You then have to manoeuvre them to an exit. This is obviously simple at first but you can easily block yourself in once you’ve got loads of blocks stuck on at once and a tiny passage to fit inside. Which is what ‘she’ said. So some good puzzling, here.

TIC: Part 1 could have been the game of the month if it was longer, as it is it just doesn’t offer value for money, really. It’s gorgeous, the story is great, the gameplay is fun and the music is lovely, but with a story that lasts just over half an hour, there’s simply not enough here. It’s still worth playing, though, because it really is a sight to behold.

rjjf2e.jpg

Somewhere, deep beneath the earth, a team of zombies is being belittled because their entire creative output is based on games about the living. “Humans again? For fuck’s sake.”

Lair of the Evildoer is probably a game in a genre that has a name, but I don’t know what that might be because it’s quite a lot of things. Part RPG, part twin-stick, part date-sim, part shooter. Okay, not the date-sim part.

GHXD1.jpg

You just travel through a building, collecting weapons and destroying zombies IN THE FACE. Then just carry on going. The controls are a bit… much… at times, but it’s still an enjoyable experience, it’s always nice when a zombie game doesn’t just have zombies in to appeal to zombie nutters but is a genuinely cool game outside it.

160yng3.jpg

Some games are bad. Really bad. So bad that they don’t even deserve a functioning link to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace. But if you’re in the mood for some punishment, or just want to be reminded how much better the games above are, check these out, last month’s most terrible games.

Pick is just the worst thing ever. It claims to be like Guitar Hero for every song in your library, or something, when in actuality you might as well just listen to the radio and press buttons on your guitar controller without even turning your Xbox on, because the song recognition is completely absent. You just press random buttons while a song plays. Terrible.

Avatar Word Wave is that all-too-common mash-up, of crosswords and roller-disco. Or something. Unfortunately, neither aspect works particularly well and having to play them together is impossible because you can’t concentrate on them both. It’s like trying to play Halo at the same time as playing Mozart on the piano.

Bamdizzle Bamdizzle Bamdizzle Bamdizzle Bamdizzle Bamdizzle. You’ll see what I mean.

Call me Skyfish is a poor looking platform that plays exactly how it looks.

A Game About My Cat is bad for two reasons. Firstly for gluing me to a slope so I can’t jump with momentum alone like Tiny Wings, and secondly for telling me how awesome it is to have a cat. I know. I want a cat more than anything but I can’t have one. YOU JUST UPSET ME, GAME. I HAVE SAD FACE.

Case o' Games is impressive if only for how you can make so many games available in one package and yet still have no redeeming qualities.

When Maidens Attack is, well, there aren’t many games that the “what is this I don’t even” meme sums up much better than this.

Beach Paddle is a variation of a game with paddles that nobody’s allowed to say the name of when they make a version of Pong. Crap, I mean a version of “generic paddle game.” Stupid anime girls with little in the way of clothing are completely unnecessary and only there for one reason. BRB.

Angry Wizards is a similar thing to Lair of the Evildoer, but slowed down to such a ridiculous level that each stage takes bloody ages as you walk through empty hallways like a geriatric with no feet.

Ballbuster. Get it? BALLBUSTER!! The game is about busting actual balls like children play with but it sounds like- oh, never mind.

ilxgyd.jpg

And to end on an awesome note…

Every month, we’ll revisit a couple of games that you may have missed from months gone by. These games are lost in the depths of the Games Marketplace, pull them out of there! Played a really awesome Indie Game in the past? Hit me up on twitter @toythatkills and recommend stuff! Is “hit me up” still something “the kids” say? What about “the kids,” is that still a thing too?

MotorHEAT is a racing game of sorts, as you can tell from the screenshot. It’s not so much about the driving as it is the avoiding, though! You auto accelerate and your job is just to move left and right to avoid traffic.

Of course, there’s more to it than that. Avoiding traffic by the smallest of margins will increase your boost meter (RT) and then you can go even faster, scoring more points.

Uumre.jpg

It’s a score attack game, this. You just score as much as you can before time runs out, getting extra time for passing checkpoints and points for distance, overtaking cars, using boost, and all sorts.

What I love most is the risk/reward, which is just awesome. You get more boost and more points for passing cars within mere centimetres and with boost activated, but then there’s a huge risk of crashing and being penalised ten seconds. Do you dare get closer? Do you dare? It’s brilliant.

Also brilliant is the online leaderboard (Gold only and peer-to-peer) which updates your position as you race, telling you how many points you need to move up to another position in the overall leaderboard.

It’s just great, this. Totally great.

=================

Skwug is a 2D platformer with a nice gimmick. You can warp to new places.

Warping always moves you the same distance you can always judge where you’re going to warp to, and you can only warp three times before having to recharge by landing on the floor.

OVtm4.jpg

This makes for some really unique platforming, as you warp over spikes and through lasers, and allows for some interesting puzzles as well with the limit on warps meaning doing things in the right order is sometimes essential. Switches play a part, switches means puzzles.

You won’t have played a 2D platformer like this before and you’ll be playing this one for ages. There are loads of levels and then some medals to go for for being quick and finding items.

Most fun.

===========================

So, what did you think of these games? What do you think of what you’re playing this month?

Enjoy your Indie Games.

Previous threads, where all the older stuff lives:

The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of May 2011 | Sequence
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of April 2011 | LaserCat
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of March 2011 | Solve It - Pack 1
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of February 2011 | Ninja360°
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of January 2011 | Bonded Realities
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of December 2010 | Score Rush
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of November 2010 | The TEMPURA of the DEAD
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of October 2010 | radiangames Fluid
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of September 2010 | Hypership Out of Control
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of August 2010 | Gravitron 360
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of July 2010 | PLATFORMANCE: Castle Pain
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of June 2010 | Old School Racer
The (old) XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Releases this month by date:

June 1st

Super Sequence 3

June 2nd

Brain Jump 2
Sudo-Quick

June 3rd

Esoterica America
Bunker Buster
Horned Toad Hornswaggle
Shooting Gallery
Tacticolor

June 4th

Abmastrophy
Arc Lancer

June 5th

Pick

June 6th

Insanity X
Dr Li's Extreme Beam Machine

June 7th

Bamdizzle

June 8th

Techno Kitten Adventure

June 10th

Quadsmash
9 Ball Pool Champion
Xtremes vs Zombies
The Great Paper Adventure
Egyptian Rat Smash
Ricochet Assassin Lost Levels
Crazy Hobo

June 11th

Righteous Axe
Topochopper
Call me Skyfish

June 13th

4-in-1 Cardgame Collection
Icebreaker
Card Creator
Sum Fighter

June 14th

Pixelbit Helicopter Challenge
Ye Olde Hangman Game

June 15th

Trigger Finger
*Nothing
Bubble Buster 360
Poopocalypse

June 16th

Monster Escape
Them Blockz
Lair of the Evildoer

June 17th

Mad Blocker Arcade
Paint Ball - Splashes of Fun
Kung Fu FIGHT!
Block the Laser
Fredriksdal Assault

June 18th

Grid Legion - Deviant Remix
Hide and Scare

June 19th

A Game About My Cat
Shift It
Solar 2
Who is the Best: Math

June 20th

PLATFORMANCE: Temple Death
World Wars
Case o' Games
Bloody Checkers

June 21st

TIC: Part 1
The Angry Hand of God
Games Master:Xbox Game Guides

June 22nd

Fluffy: Operation Overkill
When Maidens Attack
Send in Jimmy
Mars Revenge

June 23rd

Beach Paddle

June 24th

Total Miner: Forge

June 25th

House of 1000 Demons
Arranger - My Avatar

June 26th

Angry Wizards

June 27th

Euchre 360
Ballbuster

June 28th

Rainbow Runner
Gem Breaker Twist

June 29th

Fatal Seduction
Stick 'Em Up 2

Another great thread for a month of XBLIG! Thank you for doing this!

Like I suggested, and as long as it is cool with everyone, here is a breakdown of one of the ships in Orbitron: Revolution. Sorry if the image is too big or messes up the formatting. I don't know how to do a clickable thumbnail.

blindfirex8breakdown.jpg

Warm Machine said:
Another great thread for a month of XBLIG! Thank you for doing this!

Like I suggested, and as long as it is cool with everyone, here is a breakdown of one of the ships in Orbitron: Revolution. Sorry if the image is too big or messes up the formatting. I don't know how to do a clickable thumbnail.
I have no idea what any of that means, but it looks awesome as hell.

Lingolu, anyone able to play this? I had a go but it seemed kind of impossible. You just have to fly through some rings in a sort of box-like environment. The problem is that the game has literally no sense of depth at all, and I just couldn't get lined up with any of the rings. I'd just bounce into them, around them, and have no idea where I was in relation to them. It seems like a peculiar thing not to be picked up in testing, the entire game being completely unplayable.

Gaspode_T

Took a look at latest releases but looked like a bunch of meh, I am interested if Hard Game Without Zombies is any good since it seems to be a Super Meat Boy style game and I like those.

It seems like the best site for just seeing what games have been released and finding their YouTube trailers is http://www.xblaratings.com/xblig-ratings right?

Stick em Up 2 looks nice, much better graphics than the first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHRmY51FAl4

Someone was tweeting that Total Miner is actually fun (that it aped some of the gameplay of Miner Dig Deep too), can anyone confirm?

Gaspode_T said:
Took a look at latest releases but looked like a bunch of meh, I am interested if Hard Game Without Zombies is any good since it seems to be a Super Meat Boy style game and I like those.
It's not, really. The double jump is largely broken because if you jump at the very edge of a platform, it counts that as your mid-air second jump. It looks to you like a normal jump but all of a sudden you don't have that second jump to make when you expect it to work. Hello spike pit. Then you have to start again.

Gaspode_T

toythatkills said:
It's not, really. The double jump is largely broken because if you jump at the very edge of a platform, it counts that as your mid-air second jump. It looks to you like a normal jump but all of a sudden you don't have that second jump to make when you expect it to work. Hello spike pit. Then you have to start again.

That's too bad, I still need to go back and clear Mute Crimson but that one's more like Ninja Gaiden than Super Meat Boy. There have been a lot of hard platformers like Aban Hawkins and that one, I kind of wish people would put up justin.tv streams of themselves playing them because it would probably be hilarious (I've been thinking of doing the same, but I think my laptop is too slow to encode HDMI on the fly)

Gaspode_T said:
That's too bad, I still need to go back and clear Mute Crimson but that one's more like Ninja Gaiden than Super Meat Boy. There have been a lot of hard platformers like Aban Hawkins and that one, I kind of wish people would put up justin.tv streams of themselves playing them because it would probably be hilarious (I've been thinking of doing the same, but I think my laptop is too slow to encode HDMI on the fly)
The problem is that most of the "hard" platformers are hard mainly because the controls are so bad. With Super Meat Boy it feels like they got the physics exactly how they wanted them and then build levels around them, knowing exactly what the player was capable of and intricately designing the levels based on that. On XBLIG, most of them just take whatever physics they came up with in the first place and then design their levels with nary a thought to how they play.

I mean, there's more to making a hard platformer than just filling a room with spikes (unless that's kind of the point, like in Aban). It's much harder to make a hard platformer than people seem to realise, and much harder than people can be bothered to try.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
Crazy cool stuff Warm Machine. We haven't done normal maps for our models yet but I am not sure if we need 'em (based on camera angle and scale) - TBD.

Windhaven is good example of how quickly triangles can add up. Having trees, rocks, buildings automatically bumps it way up. (I am following his progress on the PA forums)

Another nice write up TTK, thanks. Surprised TIC didn't get a little more silvery love but I agree with your explanation.

SmallCaveGames said:
Another nice write up TTK, thanks. Surprised TIC didn't get a little more silvery love but I agree with your explanation.
I put a review of it on my blog

TIC: Part 1 is one of the most frustrating games I’ve ever reviewed. It does almost everything right, it’s gorgeous, its plays wonderfully, it’s fun, it sounds brilliant and it has a compelling story. Yet, despite all that, its brevity makes it almost impossible to recommend it.
Sad face.

fernoca

"Blah blah blah blah" as always toythatkills. :p

On June alone got:

• Poopocalypse
  • Lil' Demons: Splatter
  • Rainbow Runner
  • Zombie Football Carnage
  • Kung Fu FIGHT!
  • Total Miner: Forge
  • Aban Hawkins & the 1000 SPIKES
  • Battle High: San Bruno
  • Oozi: Earth Adventure Ep. 1
  • Urban Space Squirrels
  • The Deep Cave
  • TIC: Part 1
  • bumblepig
  • Techno Kitten Adventure!
  • PLATFORMANCE: Temple Death

While some of those are relatively "old"; I learned about them on the June-thread. XD

I'd question Poopocalypse and Lil' Demons, but good choices otherwise :p

I wish I liked TKA more. It really makes me laugh at how absurd it is, and the music is so stupidly over the top. The actual game is practically invisible though, so I never have much fun playing it. If they just made the walls more obvious, it'd be a lot of fun. The background stuff would still be distracting, but you'd be able to see what it was distracting you from.

If you like that genre, try Asteroids Do Concern Me, which is the same kinda thing but playable.

Kuroyume

Banned
Got my first indie games... Arkedo Pixel and Tempura of the Dead. Haven't gotten to playing Pixel yet. Tempura of the Dead is pretty fucking hard from what I've played... Hard to juggle heads at the very least.

Amagon

Still trying to get use to the controls in Rainbow Runner. Soundtrack is kickass as well as the visuals in this game.

Kuroyume said:
Got my first indie games... Arkedo Pixel and Tempura of the Dead. Haven't gotten to playing Pixel yet. Tempura of the Dead is pretty fucking hard from what I've played... Hard to juggle heads at the very least.
Which character are you using? It's pretty easy if you use the guy with the sword

SmallCaveGames said:
Crazy cool stuff Warm Machine. We haven't done normal maps for our models yet but I am not sure if we need 'em (based on camera angle and scale) - TBD.

Sometimes just a spec map is better than a normal map. Actually, the enemies in the game don't use normal maps, just spec maps. It was a choice made mostly because the viewing distance for them was far enough away that it didn't add a whole lot and I also wasn't satisfied with the compression of the textures either. So, I tried it, didn't like it, and removed them.

If you are dealing with shiny anything make spec maps. They instantly change the look for the better and create a more natural breakup of light across the surface.

As far as the normal maps that we did do (The Ring, Player Ships, Ship Bay Interior), for mechanical or angular objects I personally hate the look of the surface transfer normal map technique. Great on characters, awful on tech. I'd much rather do a black is low, white is high bump map and do the nvidia filter conversion.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
I remember testing Vizati (new puzzle game). I think an early PC build though, can't remember. It's a nicely polished block/rotation puzzle game with what I found to be a really nice atmosphere. Strong art design and has a story mode.

I am not a huge puzzler fan but I remember liking this one.

Gaspode_T

Yeah I actually was going to try this one, I thought it might be like the Mr. Gravity game where you flip.

Hey believe it or not, I looked through the Top Downloaded like and it's 75% good games. I am really proud of the community that the good is rising to the top. Some of the gimmicky games are still on there but easy to tell why (Prank Call, Baby Maker, etc I would probably love if I were 13 years old), I also see Minions, Lair of the Evildoer, Helicopter Challenge, etc. Some of the games from 2 or 3 months ago are nowhere to be found, which is some sort of indication the XBLIG channel has some sort of fanbase but marketplace or websites need to somehow be able to guide people finding out about the channel to games that aren't new as well. I would love to see more Top Shooter Lists, Top XBLIG for JRPG Fans, etc etc...people have very niche tastes and XBLIG is great for finding a specific itch to scratch...everyone will be different

SmallCaveGames said:
I remember testing Vizati (new puzzle game). I think an early PC build though, can't remember. It's a nicely polished block/rotation puzzle game with what I found to be a really nice atmosphere. Strong art design and has a story mode.

I am not a huge puzzler fan but I remember liking this one.
Aye, played that earlier on and it's really nice. There's a ton of games that do what it does, but the art and music separate it, as does a neat "tilt" mechanic, kinda like how you tilt the table in pinball games and it nudges all the blocks one space either way. Very good.

TechAssault might be the most ambitious game I've ever played. Not because it's good, it's about as far from good as you can be, but they've priced it at 400 points. If they sell even a single copy of this at 400 points I will be astonished.

http://www.extraguy.com/2011/07/xblig-weekly-roundup-7411/

Yep the latest PVJ weekly round-up is here.

toythatkills said:
Hah, your experience of Lingolu sounds a lot like mine. I'm surprised you liked Block Jump. Interesting concept destroyed by horrible controls. Unless there was some way to jump higher that I missed I constantly had to wall jump, and the wall jumping wasn't anywhere near as nice as it is in basically any other game with the feature.

I played it right after TechAssault.
Nowhere to go but up.

Sigh I really didn't mean to say that.

Hah, your experience of Lingolu sounds a lot like mine. I'm surprised you liked Block Jump. Interesting concept destroyed by horrible controls. Unless there was some way to jump higher that I missed I constantly had to wall jump, and the wall jumping wasn't anywhere near as nice as it is in basically any other game with the feature.

screen1.jpg

Vizati, 80msp, is one of those puzzle games where you rotate a box to move around colored blocks. The difference in mechanics being you can flip and tilt the box as well as rotate it. The weirdest difference though is the inclusion of a story mode where people are standing around outside your box talking about it and trying to figure out what the hell it is. Very polished for a buck, and the PC version is $5.

screen4.jpg

Lootfest is out for 80msp, it's a 3D Dot Heroes inspired hack and slash. Theres no leveling system. Instead you collect coins from enemies to buy better equipment. Except in the trial you can't buy anything. Which seems overly restrictive, since the bow seems like it'd be a major part of this game as most of the enemies have ranged attacks. Game seems very empty, with almost no plot (the lone npc in the game tells you to kill thee monster kings or something), no quests, no villagers (other than shopkeepers and their guards), the same handful of enemies everywhere on the map. Graphically it's pretty nice though. And assuming the items you can buy in the full version are better than the crappy sword you're stuck with in the trial, it should be worth a buck. It also has 4 player split screen.

fernoca

Lootfest is..tempting.
Going to download the trial now. Since I've been waiting for some to make "3D Dot Heroes-like games" on the Indies, and I guess someone finally answered my question (or I'm clueless and there are a ton like it.. :p ).

Gaspode_T

toythatkills said:
Aye, played that earlier on and it's really nice. There's a ton of games that do what it does, but the art and music separate it, as does a neat "tilt" mechanic, kinda like how you tilt the table in pinball games and it nudges all the blocks one space either way. Very good.

TechAssault might be the most ambitious game I've ever played. Not because it's good, it's about as far from good as you can be, but they've priced it at 400 points. If they sell even a single copy of this at 400 points I will be astonished.

According to App Hub thread TechAssault has already sold more than a dozen, it does say that it's their first game. It's a common newbie mistake to try to be overly ambitious with your first game I guess

Gaspode_T

I just searched Youtube for lootfest and found this guy's website, OMG it's awesome...

Every game has video gameplay on Youtube and he splits up the games into three columns:

Buy it, Try It, Skip it

He also lists pros and cons...basically exactly what I want from a site like this, easy to keep an eye on and influence buying decisions with it

http://indies.onpause.org/

His recent Buy It recommendations: Lootfest, TIC, Blocks that Matter, Lair of the Evildoer...seems pretty spot on

fernoca

Liked Lootfest (well, except everything menu related..it looks so..plain with the Times New Roman font..is the only negative I found at the moment; but no biggie.) But can't buy it right now. Have no points and having to add at least $5 worth of points to purchase just one/$1 game...oh well. Will look around to see if there are a few more; or ones I missed from earlier.

http://davidvoyles.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/summeruprising_pressreleasebanner7_5x2.png?w=500&h=160

EDIT: Well that was a fail. What is the BBC code to display images?

Yup the Summer Uprising is live!

We're narrowing down the candidates to 25 this week, and on Monday the developers will have 7 days to vote on their 8 favorite titles which will be premiered in the promotion.

We don't have a page for the press releases just yet, so until then you can find them all here:
http://davidvoyles.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/the-indie-games-summer-uprising-site-is-up/

Gaspode_T

Just downloaded a bunch of games...kind of surprised how many games I want that are 240 or 400 pts...I think some of the XBLIG devs are rebelling against the 80 pt price point on purpose and I respect them for that. If only they had achievements/real leaderboards and I would have had no problem dropping 400 pts for probably 20 or 30 of my XBLIG games.

Anyway, case in point: Solar 2...it's 400 pts, looks awesome ... but 400 pts...ballsy price point if there ever was one

This Beyond game looks to be from a Japanese dev...seems like an interesting concept, drop crates from a bird until you hit a line.

OnPoint said:
Toys, did you forget to append the June link into the previous month list?
This thread is all the games from June, last month's thread was all the games from May, etc. Probably slightly confusing that I'm naming the link differently to the thread, but it made the most sense to me!

The price points are one big issue in itself.

Without getting too far into it, it would be nice for the XBLIG devs to start charging the higher price points in an attempt to raise the perceived expectation of the platform. Again, it's difficult to justify this, as anything higher than 80ms points will most likely result in lower sales, thereby dropping an appearance from the "Top Downloads" chart, which is where most of the devs get any of their publicity.

Gaspode_T

I think the only thing MSFT can do in short term would be small tweaks to dash, I would love to see Contest Finalists updated because it doesn't make any sense to have the same games there for 3 years straight. It's almost unfair to people who are in 2010/2011 DBP finals too.

They could have something like Kotaku's Favorites in more regions too (Japan could have Famitsu 360's Favorites) and I guess it's proven that's not impossible to add.

Anyway, I like the 240 price more than 400, when I see 400 my mind immediately thinks "400 == XBLA sale price point" which means I start to judge the games with extremely harsh standards, and I'm probably on the forgiving side. I don't mind to see brave devs try to set 400, but I think it's sometimes unrealistic especially with mobile marketplaces driving prices down (a bunch of AAA level Electronic Arts games were just on sale for 99 cents each on iOS)

Maybe I should try Raimbow Runner then ! I already bought Plateformance 2 and I'm glad that a sequel to Solar 2 is released but it's so expensive (and even more on Steam).

Gaspode_T

Solar 2 is actually 50% off right now...$4.99 on Steam, so not much of a difference. Probably worth getting on XBLIG if you like playing on your TV it seems :)

DaveVoyles said:
The price points are one big issue in itself.

Without getting too far into it, it would be nice for the XBLIG devs to start charging the higher price points in an attempt to raise the perceived expectation of the platform. Again, it's difficult to justify this, as anything higher than 80ms points will most likely result in lower sales, thereby dropping an appearance from the "Top Downloads" chart, which is where most of the devs get any of their publicity.

Being honest with themselves is a good start. 240pts for Fortresscraft is reasonable, even though he probably could have charged 400 without much of a sales dip based on player expectations. I imagine Radiangames would have done better had Ballistic, Inferno and Crossfire 2 been 240pts at release. I would have bought all 3 at that price and my single purchase would have made for 2 people deciding not to buy in all three cases.

Fluid, and Fireball were best at 80pts for what they offered. Avatar Legends seems closer to 400pts than 240pts based on the amount of content and I believe that is Barker's Crest plan to raise it.

There simply needs to be a varied pricing strategy that basically shows that the 80pt games are for a set quality or experience length. That way a purchaser knows that when they see an 80pt game next to a 400pt game that there will be a broad quality, feature, or length difference between them. Right now, in many cases an awful piece of junk is priced the same as a good game so based soley on price how does the player make up their mind what to at least trial?

It isn't like 400pts is a big price either. XBLA is idling at 1200pts for a game now and 800pt games are very few and far between.

If Platformance had audio beyond music and a jump sound he could do 240pts and I would bite. I understand why he made it 80pts though and honestly, for exactly what that game is, it is a good example.

No one can really point to the channel and say no one knows about it. Fortresscraft has showed that a quarter of a million people have gone there and spent money for that game and even more trialing it. It is more a marketing/promotion thing mixed with a game people simply want to play. By saying that I'm not inferring that other games that have tried that are bad games, it is just that they didn't get the same exposure or didn't key into the markets' subjective interest for the moment.

soldat7

toythatkills said:
PLATFORMANCE: Temple Death is of course, entirely bloody awesome. I probably would have made it game of the month but since Castle Pain already took that award and something else appeared in a rainbow of awesome, I gave that a chance.

K0V9B.jpg

It’s more of the same, Platformance-wise. You’ve got one screen with tons of obstacles in your quest to get to the girl and to the top of the online-leaderboards, which are totally addictive. Deaths happen basically everywhere, and the game is awesome.

It’s not quite as good as Castle Pain, as a few obstacles feel a bit more random and so impossible to plan for than they did in Castle Pain, but it’s still brilliant and still addictive as hell and still only 80 points, so why are you waiting?

Oh yes, to my veins!

Warm Machine said:
If Platformance had audio beyond music and a jump sound he could do 240pts and I would bite. I understand why he made it 80pts though and honestly, for exactly what that game is, it is a good example.
The problem with Platformance is that while it's worth 240 points to everyone that's had a go, people that haven't will go "three dollars? For one level?" and it's hard to argue against that.

As an aside about Platformance, does the music remind anyone else of Muse in places? There's one specific bit that makes me think of them every time it plays. Weird.

Gowans, I was gonna do an uprising thread later, I guess you saved me the work :lol

What are the best platformer games on the Indie marketplace? Preferably games that play more like Super Mario Bros. (I already have Pixel!)

Also, what's the general consensus on The Tempura of the Dead? I've been thinking of picking that game up

OnPoint

Tempura is hard, but a good time.

If you'd like a decent indie platformer, check out Curse of the Crescent Isle. It feels a bit like Mario 2 USA version.

Lasercat is fun but not like Mario really. Steer clear of Notebook Adventures.

Emperor Bohe said:
What are the best platformer games on the Indie marketplace? Preferably games that play more like Super Mario Bros. (I already have Pixel!)
Apple Jack and Curse of the Crescent Isle come immediately to mind. The latter in particular should give you a retro Mario vibe.

Oh, way too slow with that suggestion! Yeah, that's the one you want.

Top Bottom