• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live launch titles for Windows Phone 7 finally revealed.

Coldsnap said:
ilmphone.jpg

Is this an actual phone that is coming out or just a fake one they are using for their campaign? The phone looks sweet...

It's just a render from the emulator.

Lets see what we have:

LG GW910/LG Panther

lgpanther.jpg

LG will also have a phone w/o keyboard.

HTC Schubert/Mozart(?)

10x0809oub235htc.jpg

10x08099ub2345unib.jpg

n4JVq.jpg

Asus

pakistan.jpg

Samsung (I call it "the Brick")

o1mk.jpg

Touchscreen controls mean that of that list, Uno and Puzzle Quest 2 are the only games I'm remotely interested in (as instantly responsive and intuitive controls aren't necessary for them).

Also, if you've downloaded one if these games to your 360, is it free to download it to this phone, or do you have to buy it again? If so, fuck that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ben2749 said:
Also, if you've downloaded one if these games to your 360, is it free to download it to this phone, or do you have to buy it again? If so, fuck that.

You have to buy them again, they're separate games.

mclaren777

This is exciting but I was really hoping for Indie Games support. I would literally buy this phone just for Miner Dig Deep and a few others.

mclaren777 said:
This is exciting but I was really hoping for Indie Games support. I would literally buy this phone just for Miner Dig Deep and a few others.

Errr... that is in as well. Everybody can publish games for WP7, just like on iPhone.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NemesisPrime said:
Errr... that is in as well. Everybody can publish games for WP7, just like on iPhone.

He's talking about direct 1:1 support for Xbox Indies games, not the ability for Indie programmers to make games for the phone.

JaggedSac

mclaren777 said:

I would imagine we will see quite a few Indie Games get ported.

Rlan

JaggedSac said:
I would imagine we will see quite a few Indie Games get ported.

I'd also hope for the same the other way -- being in XNA means it should work on both systems without a large amount of the fuss. Things have to be made specifically for the systems in regards to aspect ratio and such. Plus the actual sprites and such may need to be made to look better for that resolution -- see iPhone games on iPad without native support.

I understand that AT&T will be the "primary carrier" but does anyone know what that actually means. All I want is one phone on Verizon that runs the Win7 OS is compatible with the Zune software and is a well designed piece of hardware is that going to be too much to ask.

the nightman cometh said:
I understand that AT&T will be the "primary carrier" but does anyone know what that actually means. All I want is one phone on Verizon that runs the Win7 OS is compatible with the Zune software and is a well designed piece of hardware is that going to be too much to ask.
I don't know about Verizon, but I can assure you, that every WP7 will work with the Zune software. In fact, it's the only official software for the OS.

Here's a video of a XBLA port that's not on the list: Shoot 1UP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycli-koDlP8

Never played the game, but it looks okay I guess.

I'm really impressed with gaming on WP7! Halo is a let down (how killer would a real Halo have been?) but these games like Crackdown seem pretty unique right out of the gate, high quality, very integrated into Live and shows MS isn't afraid of finding devs or games - even if they come from the Wii. I didn't expect to be this impressed, I thought it would be more like a bunch of iPhone ports (less awesome, more Gameloft).

The bit about no realtime gaming sucks. iPhone does it and even if 3g is spotty there is always wifi. Hopefully that's what's holding a Halo title back...or maybe there will never be one.

More and more kudos to Microsoft. WP7 is looking cooler everyday. I hope there's a gaming oriented model or a super huge (4.3inch+) screen to make touch controls as easy to use as possible.

MS is coming for you guys, Apple, Nintendo and Sony. As long as they don't decide every game needs to be $15 (and they should really release an iPod Touch/updated Zune) I see this being huge.

thundr51

Been waiting for this stuff for a while. i've already got my hands a little dirty writing a small do nothing app for my zuneHD. I've been holding off buying a new phone for at least the last 1.5-2yrs waiting for this and so far it looks like I won't be disappointed. Can't wait to ditch my Nokia express.

Zachack

brotkasten said:
I don't know about Verizon, but I can assure you, that every WP7 will work with the Zune software. In fact, it's the only official software for the OS.

Here's a video of a XBLA port that's not on the list: Shoot 1UP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycli-koDlP8

Never played the game, but it looks okay I guess.
Shoot 1UP is an Indie game. It's pretty decent from what I played of the demo.

If they announce Zune Pass support then I'll dump my iPhone 3GS for a W7 phone next year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
See, I'm of a pretty mixed opinions about WP7.

The negatives:
- I own an iPhone, a 360, and a PC. 99% of the software, I can get somewhere else and in many cases already have.
- My iPhone is on a long contract and I've accumulated a lot of app store content, so I'm not likely to switch to another smart phone (and I suspect most other smart phone owners are in the same boat). Thankfully Apple has a non-phone app store device (and I've got an iPad and I'd probably end up with a touch if I didn't have an iPhone), so this is a little mitigated, but I certainly wouldn't have another smart phone until 2012.
- Unlike Apple and Google, Microsoft is not releasing non-phone devices capable of handling WP7 apps, so I'm less likely to pick this up as a side device.
- I really find the phone UI truly ugly, and I think it's going to scale very poorly as they add new features because they've focused on offering the user fewer options but bigger.
- Microsoft's back-and-forth on phone support doesn't give me faith in their platform stewardship

The positive:
- Most of the devices they've shown look solid and worthy of checking out
- Their initial game support is good even if it's mostly ports
- Live integration could be neat to be able to message friends, although I don't suspect anyone else is going to get one of these so if I do get one, I probably won't use it.
- XNA development spanks OBJ-C development and I was really impressed at how easy XNA development and deployment was with the existing three platforms, so I think it could be really great for this one.

The ???:
- Canadian details

- How are some of these games going to have meaningful achievements without unbalancing the system altogether? Some, like CarneyVale, make total sense--others just don't seem to have the content or depth to be able to sustain achievements.

Dipswitch

Very smart of them to put a strong focus on games. They stand a very good chance of surpassing Apple in that area if they play their cards right. The Xbox Live stuff is still a little weak however - I'd like to see them announce some cool integration stuff other than being able to see your avatar on the phone. That's damn near worthless IMO.

Still, I'm in the market for a smartphone, and I'm strongly leaning towards WP7. The amount of storage on the phone will be a chief factor as to whether I jump in or not.

JaggedSac

Any music/video you purchase/rent on the Zune Marketplace will be viewable/usable on PC/360/WP7/Zune. 360 is going to get Zune Pass stuff in the fall too. So streaming music will be available to subscribers from all 3 different devices as well.

JaggedSac

Stumpokapow said:
- Live integration could be neat to be able to message friends, although I don't suspect anyone else is going to get one of these so if I do get one, I probably won't use it.

- How are some of these games going to have meaningful achievements without unbalancing the system altogether? Some, like CarneyVale, make total sense--others just don't seem to have the content or depth to be able to sustain achievements.

I would imagine that messaging would not require your friend to have a WP7 device. It would just show up as a message on whatever they log onto Live from(GFWL, 360, WP7).

I would imagine they will be 200 point games just like Arcade games. Plus, you have to be a managed developer to add achievements to games, so MS will still have final say over achievements.

The games look great. I will definitely be getting this phone since I am developing a game for it that should be out at launch.

The game is doodle Ship. I would encourage you guys to give developing a try as well. It isn't too bad on XNA.

Firestorm

Stumpokapow said:
I will!
We can totally text like all the time.
idk my bff stump

goldenpp72

So the phone will not have real online, a controller nor integration (aka free or very cheap usage) of xbla titles from 360 :(

Oh well, sorry MS. I would like to have your phone but without that stuff i can't see myself axing other important things i'm looking for (i'm currently wanting an evo or epic 4g due to big screen sizes)

Maybe next year :/

goldenpp72 said:
So the phone will not have real online, a controller nor integration (aka free or very cheap usage) of xbla titles from 360 :(

Oh well, sorry MS. I would like to have your phone but without that stuff i can't see myself axing other important things i'm looking for (i'm currently wanting an evo or epic 4g due to big screen sizes)

Maybe next year :/
You want an Android phone which does none of those things either but simply has a big screen? There will definitely be large screened 7 phones.

The games are looking good, they're simple launch titles. There is no online play yet, MS said yet and iPhone showed its possible. You're really jumping the gun.

I was grabbing one one of these anyway since I have I have a Zune Pass and Netflix, and the allure of streaming all that music and video to my phone, pretty much anytime, is too much to pass up. The Xbox Live integration is just icing on the cake.

As a current ATT customer though, one thing I am concerned about is ATT's stupid new bandwidth caps. I am out of contract right now and using a non-smartphone with no data plan, so I can't get grandfathered in. Between streaming music, video, and downloading games I am probably going to destroy the measly 2GB/month limit, even if I use wifi when available. For this reason I am thinking of switching to Sprint when WP7 hits, I am just worried ATT will get all the cool phones. I want the minimalist Samsung phone out of the ones shown so far. None of the others interest me that much, save for maybe the Asus.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JaggedSac said:
I would imagine that messaging would not require your friend to have a WP7 device. It would just show up as a message on whatever they log onto Live from(GFWL, 360, WP7).

Of course, but none of my friends are going to be playing games during the day, and if I'm at home I can send them Live messages from my computer or Xbox (and I've got a chatpad, so there's no typing advantage), so to me the messaging system would mostly be useful as a free parallel version of texting during the day.

U2NUMB

Stumpokapow said:

First thing that came to mind about this is on xbox.com they say.

"Earn, view, and track achievements, view Xbox LIVE leaderboards and build your gamerscore every time you play an Xbox LIVE title."

So my gut feeling is that not every game will be an Xbox Live title. Similar to how they set up GFWL.

mollipen

verbum said:
A nice preview of general hits and misses of Phone7 OS:
http://www.winsupersite.com/mobile/wp7_hotornot.asp

and a feature focus on the OS:

http://www.winsupersite.com/mobile/wp7_ff.asp

The OS looks good, the games feature is decent, and the OS will need some updates to make it really contend with iOS4 and Android 2.2.

One might want to point out that these come from the website of Paul Thurrott, who is completely unable to have any kind of unbiased opinion in matters concerning Microsoft products (or products from their competitors).

goldenpp72

jonnybryce said:
You want an Android phone which does none of those things either but simply has a big screen? There will definitely be large screened 7 phones.

The games are looking good, they're simple launch titles. There is no online play yet, MS said yet and iPhone showed its possible. You're really jumping the gun.

I'm saying that if the phone does nothing but games on a lame touch screen on a tiny screen I might as well go for what will likely still be the best OS (since I don't think MS will be best out of the door)

MS needs to integrate their shit that google CAN NOT do :/

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
goldenpp72 said:
I'm saying that if the phone does nothing but games on a lame touch screen on a tiny screen I might as well go for what will likely still be the best OS (since I don't think MS will be best out of the door)

MS needs to integrate their shit that google CAN NOT do :/
its not just gaming. http://www.windowsphone7.com/

edit: nvm, ignore that. Thought you were saying the WP7 was only a gaming device. But yeah, no gaming controls for the device. Games can use the keyboards if your phone has them though but will still be required to have touch controls.

From what I have used of the Iphone games, the on screen buttons for games like street fighter etc.. work pretty well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
shidoshi said:
One might want to point out that these come from the website of Paul Thurrott, who is completely unable to have any kind of unbiased opinion in matters concerning Microsoft products (or products from their competitors).
Should also point out he is writing a book on windows phone 7, so yeah, don't expect objectivity from him. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jonnybryce said:

Well you can use a Wiimote or Classic Controller on Android.
:D

shidoshi said:

To his credit, he did lambaste the Mac-ification of the Windows 7 taskbar.

All this stuff looks pretty interesting.

I'm currently in the market for a new phone since almost everyone I know (co-workers, Mom, even female friends) has some kind of fancy smartphone at this point and my wife and I are stuck on these ancient flip-phones.

Due to work obligations I am restricted to Verizon (not that I'd be interested in anyone else in this area) so I've been debating Droid X vs. Incredible. Since they are hard to find in stock and I can't make up my mind I haven't actually bought anything.

Now I'm looking at this WP7 devices and thinking I should continue to just wait until the reviews come out. If there's not some kind of big problem I might go with this. The XBL integration would be cool and I'm already a Zune fan.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Consider me in the Stumpokapow camp in that I see positives and negatives.

Lets get the negatives out of the way first

- I hate to buy 1st gen anything anymore. This isn't a Win Phone 7 specific problem, but just in general I always feel like 1st gen is a testing ground. It's cool to be 1st on the block with the new hotness, but you always have to deal with bumps in the road that get fixed later on

- In terms of an actual smart phone the browser is a big deal to me, and I'm iffy on the browser. I'm not saying it's gonna be terribad or anything, and I don't hate their current desktop browser IE8. That being said I haven't used a MS browser as a my primary or even 2nd or 3rd option in YEARS. So why would I want to on my mobile. Granted their might be 3rd party offerings (Maybe), but 3rd party smart phone browsers just aren't integrated into the device like the browser built for the OS and the platform.

- MS track record for hardware not named Xbox has SUCKED. Granted I understand this is a deferent deal, but still. The Zune HD was a great device, but MS shit all over that thing and acts like it doesn't even exist. WinMo has been rocky (I have a few friends who have had WinMo devices and they all had mixed opinions), and lets not even get to the kin. Plus I'm worried that they won't fix the initial problems the device will have (all devices have shit go wrong when it's a new launch out of the gate) in a timely fashion. I don't want to be waiting a year with no OS update.

- I'm worried about getting nickeled and dimed to death with all the XBL shit. This probably just me being worried though, and all that shit will just be optional that I can skip. This is definitely probably a dumb worry I shouldn't have, but I have to be honest with myself and admit the worry is there. This is coming from someone who likes XBL, but isn't it's biggest fan anymore console wise who also hates paying for gold.

Now lets get to the pros because I don't want to be a super hater...

- XBL has been extremely successful, and they wouldn't bring this over to a project that they aren't gonna be totally behind. They already have existing hooks for the consumers as well as all the XNA stuff for devs as well. Granted I'm not TOTALLY sold on XNA 100% though as I think larger scope projects are just gonna need a real deal development environment. This is a phone though. For most projects XNA seems like a godsend for MS to already have this up and running for the PC/360 as it'll be perfect for the bite sized gaming thing a lot of people and developers expect on a phone

- I LOVE the Zune software. I've never even owned a Zune, and I heard the software was rocky at the start. I jumped in at the 3.0 level when they did they big redesign, and it's fantastic. Sure it might be slightly resource hoggy for a general use player, but I find it fantastic in Windows 7 for a big use player with a marketplace. Interface is super slick and light years beyond what itunes has at the moment, and it has real deal podcast support. Also though I don't currently use it Zune pass is the shizzy idea wise.

- I also personally really like the interface they have for the phone kind of building off all the of the stylish things they've done with the Zune. Reminds me a lot of the Zune software and the Zune website. Just seems really slick and unique without being to much "me too." Only issue I have with the current UI being shown is how well it'll scale. Stumpokapow had the same worry, and I don't blame him. Just look at how well the NXE has or rather hasn't scaled on the 360. That being said for a base UI I like it better than both 2.X android and iOS4 (which I've messed around with alot lately as my mom just got an iphone 4).

- They also seem to have good support out of the gate. Even if a lot of these games are ports the fact that the companies just want to get any games out at launch is a good sign. Not that you can't change things if you have slow start gaming wise (like android), but I definitely think a descent showing out of the gate just helps build that momentum and get the ball rolling both in terms of getting users to think about the platform as a place to do gaming related activities and to show the dev community as a whole look all this companies are already on board so don't you want to be to so you don't miss the boat?

- On a personal note that really isn't platform/OS related I like that LG phone purely because of the hardware keyboard thing. I sort of really want a hardware keyboard, and while I could deal with a software keyboard I'd get that LG in a heart beat over anything else if it launched on AT&T. AT&T just has a dearth of hardware keyboard smart phones not named crackberries. My best friend agrees which is why he has a droid on Verizon for the keyboard.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Andrex said:
Well you can use a Wiimote or Classic Controller on Android.
:D

To his credit, he did lambaste the Mac-ification of the Windows 7 taskbar.
That's not to his credit, the taskbar is the best part of windows 7.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
VanMardigan said:
That's not to his credit, the taskbar is the best part of windows 7.

Personally, I don't like having to click twice to switch to a running program, plus I value screen space, so I've reverted my two W7 computers to the old style. But I was a huge fan of the new style leading up to release.

Firestorm

New article from Gamasutra:
Following on from today's Xbox Live for Windows Phone 7 announcement, Gamasutra speaks to Microsoft exec Kevin Unangst about the company's plans for the platform, and what developers need to know.

In a meeting in San Francisco, Kevin Unangst, Microsoft's senior director of PC and mobile gaming, and Brian Seitz, senior marketing manager for Windows Phone 7 demoed the device for Gamasutra and answered questions about launch and beyond.
Interview: Details On Xbox Live For Windows Phone 7

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What I don't get is how MS expects deeper large scale experiences to be made in XNA. Like how would Civ Rev or SFIV get made in XNA? I just don't see that happening.

Also how are they gonna handle releases and release dates since that's sort of a cluster on XBLA on the 360 right now. Normally you don't know what's coming till it's practically out.

JaggedSac

Brettison said:
What I don't get is how MS expects deeper large scale experiences to be made in XNA. Like how would Civ Rev or SFIV get made in XNA? I just don't see that happening.

Also how are they gonna handle releases and release dates since that's sort of a cluster on XBLA on the 360 right now. Normally you don't know what's coming till it's practically out.

There will definitely be a Civ type game made. They are going to be pushing asynchronous gaming and a Civ type game is the most obvious thing that would benefit from that.

Top Bottom