• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox may have outsold Playstation in last quarter (Oct~Dec 2021)

Haggard

Banned
Neither XSX nor PS5 available...you either settle for a Series S which seems to be the only "sorta"-next gen console available or you simply don`t get one.
Not the worst situation for MS in user adaption/marketshare terms, but a seriously shitty situation for consumers.

Last edited:

Skifi28

dPEWUq8.png

Cyberpunkd

How you gonna get an Xbox if you can’t get a PS5. They both having the same issue. No one is going to take a SS over a PS5.
Depending on the market e.g. Europe it might be easier to grab Series X/S since the demand is lower. I was able to get an XSX in France two weeks ago, it was available in the middle of Paris for a few days, just for a walk-in, not online order (it showed online thought). I have never seen a single PS5 in the same store.

MOTM

Banned
Depending on the market e.g. Europe it might be easier to grab Series X/S since the demand is lower. I was able to get an XSX in France two weeks ago, it was available in the middle of Paris for a few days, just for a walk-in, not online order (it showed online thought). I have never seen a single PS5 in the same store.
So customer wants a PS5 because of all those Sony exclusives, has been planning for weeks months.

Walks into store and only sees Xbox.

Decides to buy Series X/S instead? :pie_thinking:

iceatcs

I bet Xbox S/X can "outship" PS5 in some quarter just because Sony is still selling PS4. There is no way to buy brand new Xbox One model right now in UK Market. Only find them in second hand sells.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I bet Xbox S/X can outsold PS5 in some quarter just because Sony is still selling PS4. There is no way to buy brand new Xbox One model right now in UK Market. Only find them in second hand sells.
Or the fact that Microsoft did it really smartly with XSS, which is also 200€ cheaper than XSX and PS5. FYI on Amazon.fr you also cannot buy a PS4 now, lol. I just saw someone in my residential building buying a PS4 2 weeks ago.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Solid effort on Microsoft’s behalf, bad Christmas period by PlayStation also but.

Great seeing much closer generation. Still can’t get either in any store here.

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
That's my point.

But people in here act like that because you can't get a ps5 you buy an Xbox, which is the only reason they get sold.
It’s literally dumb to think that if PS5 is having chip shortages that literally all other console manufacturers is not having the same exact issue.
The percentage of drop for all platforms pubs should be the exact same.

iceatcs

Or the fact that Microsoft did it really smartly with XSS, which is also 200€ cheaper than XSX and PS5. FYI on Amazon.fr you also cannot buy a PS4 now, lol. I just saw someone in my residential building buying a PS4 2 weeks ago.
Yeah clever strategy and effective for PC/console market. No one left behind for last gen PC market if XSX still around.

I notice of PS4 stocking too, everything sold out, but still official listing on any retails, whereas there is none of the retails list for Xbox One (which mean discounted).

Last edited:

Allandor

As we have the official 3.9 million number by Sony and based on estimates from Welfare Welfare and Z ZhugeEX

That might have happened but it doesn't say anything other than Sony can't produce enough units. On xbox side the only thing that is really good available is the Series S.
You can't even get a Switch Oled currently. Demand is just to high.

The only problem for Sony that might come from this is, that some people that are new in console space might get an xbox because this is the only current-gen console available and that is a potentially lost customer for Sony. But that doesn't change the fact the the markets in console space are quite healthy these days.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’ve no doubt that if Sony could have produced more PS5s than they did PS4s they would have outsold the PS4. Pandemic times, everyone is in the market for home entertainment.

kingfey

Banned
XSS would bypass the chip shortage issues. It's why MS has 12m hardware, despite having low chips, compared to Playstation.

Godot25

Banned
It's funny like pandemic literally helped Microsoft in some ways.

They knew, that their first-party stuff would not be properly ready until 2023, but thanks to supply problems and high demand they are still able to sell out Series X. Also, Series S is basically genius idea in times when winner is company that can produce more systems because Series S is cheaper and easier to make.

So while Sony is churning out exclusives that have literally no effect on consoles sold because there is not more consoles to be sold, Microsoft had no 1st party game for 6 months after Series X/S release and they still managed to sold more Series X/S consoles than any Xbox prior to that and Series X is sold out almost everywhere.

And because of supply issues, Sony can't go on killing spree with console sales like in PS4 era.

And by 2023, when first-party stuff for Microsoft will be ready, the situation with supply will ease out.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
What next-gen only games have they released?

And do you really believe all the Activision stuff etc won't be on XB1?
What cross-gen games MS have in development?
Why would you even take Activision into account when they will not be part of MS for more than a year (if US government will even agree to that transaction) and MS has nothing to say how they work now.

kingfey

Banned
2 SKU's including an affordable option
Gamepass
2 AAA titles right on time for the holidays
Very positive sentiment towards Xbox this gen

Not surprised.
Having games doesn't produce your consoles.

Its about the most efficient way of production, that can give you big numbers.

MS has SS, which is easy to make compared to XSX. XSX has the same chip set as ps5. If XSS is easy to produce, it would outsell both of these devices. Because of how faster it is to produce them.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
What system sellers Sony released last year?
Well, Sony had Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Sackboy, Destruction All-Stars, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Returnal and Deathloop in first year after release. In normal circumstances this lineup would give you huge competitive edge and would helped you sell more consoles.
This year they have Forspoken, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7.

And while you can argue that many of these games are cross-gen, data shows that people really want to play those exclusives on PS5, not on PS4

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What cross-gen games MS have in development?
Why would you even take Activision into account when they will not be part of MS for more than a year (if US government will even agree to that transaction) and MS has nothing to say how they work now.

Which ones have they confirmed will be next-gen only? The stuff that CAN run on XB1 without dramatic changes probably will, like what Sony is doing. It's just what makes sense business-wise.

I guess MS might not be as dependent on their XB1 userbase as Sony is on their much larger PS4 userbase though.

kingfey

Banned
Xbox putting a decent fight would make PS do even better. That's a fact, but wishing Xbox + MS to vanish is still my prime wish.:messenger_smiling_horns:
Its everyone's dream. And now, we have to deal with other big boys.

I would have liked small business like Sega to stay in the console market, not these close to trillion companies.

leo-j

Ps5 and series X are being hurt by the semi conductor situation. Switch and Seriees S are not. Sony expects to catch up to ps4 figures but idk. Especially since they are saying it’s going to be worse these next couple of months with just 2 million consoles shipped .

kuncol02

Banned
Well, Sony had Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Sackboy, Destruction All-Stars, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Returnal and Deathloop in first year after release. In normal circumstances this lineup would give you huge competitive edge and would helped you sell more consoles.
This year they have Forspoken, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7.

And while you can argue that many of these games are cross-gen, data shows that people really want to play those exclusives on PS5, not on PS4
Strange way to say "none".
From that list only Destruction All-Stars, Ratchet, Returnal and Deathloop were released last year. And I wouldn't call any of them system seller. Shitty multiplayer game (is it even still alive?), platformer, niche roguelike/bullet hell hybrid and probably even more niche immersive sim lite.

laynelane

It would be great to have official numbers, especially for the added effect of no more "estimates" by some dude on Twitter.

Zok310

Banned
Strange way to say "none".
From that list only Destruction All-Stars, Ratchet, Returnal and Deathloop were released last year. And I wouldn't call any of them system seller. Shitty multiplayer game (is it even still alive?), platformer, niche roguelike/bullet hell hybrid and probably even more niche immersive sim lite.
People just like creating their own “winning” arguments and at the end of the day can’t back it up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom