• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox may have outsold Playstation in last quarter (Oct~Dec 2021)

CeeJay

cAn'T SeLl WhAt U caNt mAAke

doubt it but they really should've. the ps5 digital isn't cheap enough. it's basically just a PS5 without a disc drive. there's only so much they could cut off the cost. sony should've put out a PS5 lite with a less powerful GPU and small capacity SSD. MS really nailed it with Series S.
The PS5 is difficult enough to find as it is let alone a PS5 digital, it's almost a unicorn. I'm positive they created this SKU to have a cheaper console in the catalog to compete with SeriesS but don't really want to sell any because there will be an even smaller margin on them than the disk version. I'm not sure how accurate it was but I remember a ratio of something like 5:1 disk to digital being thrown around.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Come On Wtf GIF by Jomboy Media

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This is a problem when supply issues are going to last for years.
Do you mean in aggregate from 2020 or are you saying supply constraints will continue to persist for years after 2022?

Most projections I have seen suggest supply should approach normalcy by 2023.

Where are the numbers?

In the latest financial reports.

It would be great to have official numbers, especially for the added effect of no more "estimates" by some dude on Twitter.

Welfare and especially Zhuge are well-entrenched in getting reliable data. The latter works in the industry, I forgot which capacity exactly.

Spencer himself said they shipped 12 million early last month; considering the demand for the new consoles, even in a worst-case (which you'd think is bigger than it is with the scattershot "The S is always on shelves where I stay!" anecdotal stories), they have sold through at least 11.9 million, and that was at the time of Spencer's comments.

They're at least slightly over 12 million sold-through by this current moment. Dunno if any of this indicates they outsold PlayStation last quarter though, which I guess is ultimately what this thread is about. But if the claims are coming from guys like Welfare and Zhuge, I'd take them over VGChartz any day.

Wish Matt Piscatella would share their info, but for legal reasons they can't (NPD).

Last edited:

laynelane

In the latest financial reports.

Welfare and especially Zhuge are well-entrenched in getting reliable data. The latter works in the industry, I forgot which capacity exactly.

Spencer himself said they shipped 12 million early last month; considering the demand for the new consoles, even in a worst-case (which you'd think is bigger than it is with the scattershot "The S is always on shelves where I stay!" anecdotal stories), they have sold through at least 11.9 million, and that was at the time of Spencer's comments.

They're at least slightly over 12 million sold-through by this current moment. Dunno if any of this indicates they outsold PlayStation last quarter though, which I guess is ultimately what this thread is about. But if the claims are coming from guys like Welfare and Zhuge, I'd take them over VGChartz any day.

Wish Matt Piscatella would share their info, but for legal reasons they can't (NPD).

Unless they're directly related to MS, I would surmise they are not getting specific data - hence the need to stress "MY ESTIMATED (MINE)" in the tweet. I'm interested in how all platforms are doing and check out posts about this subject. I hear you that the two are well-entrenched in getting reliable data and I take your word for it, but I am very much a "facts" sort of person. That's why I wish MS would release numbers and, not to be rude, put little stock in what supposed insiders have to say.

Last edited:

El Muerto

I bought a PS5 first then managed to get a Series X. I've been team Playstation since the PS1, i own every PS console. I gotta say the Xbox Series X is a much better console itself. I have been playing it more than my PS5. It handles the audio and HDR much better, gamepass is great, and i dont have to worry about if i'm playing the last gen or next gen version of a game thanks to smart delivery.

Unless they're directly related to MS, I would surmise they are not getting specific data - hence the need to stress "MY ESTIMATED (MINE)" in the tweet. I'm interested in how all platforms are doing and check out posts about this subject. I hear you that the two are well-entrenched in getting reliable data and I take your word for it, but I am very much a "facts" sort of person. That's why I wish MS would release numbers and, not to be rude, put little stock in what supposed insiders have to say.

Yeah it sucks that Microsoft don't provide exact numbers themselves, but ultimately they still provide the numbers that matter the most: division quarterly and annual revenue results. And from those we can extrapolate (to a good, reliable extent) hardware sales, especially when they provide hardware sales rates (such as certain YOY quarterly gain rates compared to same quarter in the previous year, etc.).

That's how I'm assuming guys like Welfare, Zhuge etc. are getting their numbers. They might also be shareholders, and shareholders, IIRC, get more info than what bits we end up getting reported on and quoted around online. So they can work with that data, as well.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Yeah it sucks that Microsoft don't provide exact numbers themselves, but ultimately they still provide the numbers that matter the most: division quarterly and annual revenue results. And from those we can extrapolate (to a good, reliable extent) hardware sales, especially when they provide hardware sales rates (such as certain YOY quarterly gain rates compared to same quarter in the previous year, etc.).

That's how I'm assuming guys like Welfare, Zhuge etc. are getting their numbers. They might also be shareholders, and shareholders, IIRC, get more info than what bits we end up getting reported on and quoted around online. So they can work with that data, as well.
They are just working backwards from the statement Xbox Series X is outselling previous consoles

Then inflating the Q4 portion of sales to give Xbox an edge

kingfey

Banned
That means jack shit to me and my other brethren's who cant even get a hold of these consoles.

At this point, I request mods to ban posts like these. Until consumers are able to buy it from the store, IT DOESNT MATTER.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
That means jack shit to me and my other brethren's who cant even get a hold of these consoles.

At this point, I request mods to ban posts like these. Until consumers are able to buy it from the store, IT DOESNT MATTER.
Of course it matters. Sony not being able to meet PS5 demand and falling behind PS4 is on them and will have huge ramifications to the industry. This is not a dick measuring contest. It's true that MS lucked into the Series S being more easily produced during the shortages but ultimately it's going to change the trajectory of both of these consoles moving forward.

kingfey

Banned
Of course it matters. Sony not being able to meet PS5 demand and falling behind PS4 is on them and will have huge ramifications to the industry. This is not a dick measuring contest. It's true that MS lucked into the Series S being more easily produced during the shortages but ultimately it's going to change the trajectory of both of these consoles moving forward.
Most industry are delaying their games. And those who arent, are releasing garbage games.

Dying lights 2 is suffering from that. 2020-2021 covid impacted the industry alot, and hindered the progress of 3rd party games.

Consoles have chances to gain some numbers, while these delayed games gets new release date.

M16

if xbox didnt start production later, and used some chips for series blades, they could very well be ahead in total as well

Beechos

They coulve released another 10 mill of each console and they both wouldve still sold out. At this point whoever can get more consoles to the shelves will have a higher #.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
They coulve released another 10 mill of each console and they both wouldve still sold out. At this point whoever can get more consoles to the shelves will have a higher #.
Could haves and should haves are not really important here. The Series X and PS5 are going to be handcuffed for the next ____ years. Series S is going to put MS in the drivers seat simply because it's easier to make and available until then.

It's difficult to fathom but Covid and the chip shortages are really impacting the trajectory of the industry and will continue to do so. The Switch of all platforms has seen a massive benefit and in its still on top in its sixth year. Nintendo really made off like bandits on this one, and to a lesser extent MS with the Series S.

DavidGzz

I wonder if the chip shortage ever gets sorted, if suddenly no one will care about the XBSS.

It will be the first console to be $199. Imagine a bundle of $199 Series S+ 3 months of Game Pass featuring an exclusive CoD+Avowed+Starfield+Diablo 4 in 2024. Plenty will care even if all 3 consoles are available.

Concern

It will be the first console to be $199. Imagine a bundle of $199 Series S+ 3 months of Game Pass featuring an exclusive CoD+Avowed+Starfield+Diablo 4 in 2024. Plenty will care even if all 3 consoles are available.

People think that a forum speaks for the whole gaming market. If that was the case we wouldn't be headed in the direction we are with f2p/mobile/gaas/etc.

Casuals are the majority in every market and who the big corporations cater to. A casual doesn't gaf about 4k/60fps/12tf/etc etc. They just buy what prices are most appealing and what the most popular franchises.

Roxkis_ii

It's hard to imagine people still buying non 4k consoles in 2024. How much cheaper would 4k TVs be by then? Also, who's to say that the other consoles won't also see their prices come down as well? (wishful thinking, but miracles happen)

Besides that, what if xcloud becomes competitive by then? If your a budget gamer, you could just use that to play all those same games without even needing an Xbox.

To me, the XBSS doesn't make since to me if MS future plans come to fruition.

DavidGzz

It's hard to imagine people still buying non 4k consoles in 2024. How much cheaper would 4k TVs be by then? Also, who's to say that the other consoles won't also see their prices come down as well? (wishful thinking, but miracles happen)

Besides that, what if xcloud becomes competitive by then? If your a budget gamer, you could just use that to play all those same games without even needing an Xbox.

To me, the XBSS doesn't make since to me if MS future plans come to fruition.

4k is already dirt cheap and my 16-year-old daughter couldn't care less about it. She plays her Series S on an old 1080p plasma. I offered to get her a 4k tv for her bedroom and she said no, she likes her current tv. Kids come of age every day to begin gaming, they also won't care, their parents most likely won't either.

That's only 2 years away, cloud gaming will still be in its infancy. Hardcore gamers will use it as a supplement, but casuals will be buying consoles for a while still. I think cloud gaming will pick up but be FAR from being even at 50% so the Series S has plenty of time to sell, as in all generation. Maybe next gen, cloud gaming will be prominent enough to put a dent in console sales.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
4k is already dirt cheap and my 16-year-old daughter couldn't care less about it. She plays her Series S on an old 1080p plasma. I offered to get her a 4k tv for her bedroom and she said no, she likes her current tv. Kids come of age every day to begin gaming, they also won't care, their parents most likely won't either.

That's only 2 years away, cloud gaming will still be in its infancy. Hardcore gamers will use it as a supplement, but casuals will be buying consoles for a while still. I think cloud gaming will pick up but be FAR from being even at 50% so the Series S has plenty of time to sell, as in all generation. Maybe next gen, cloud gaming will be prominent enough to put a dent in console sales.
Casuals will be more likely to use cloud gaming than anyone else.

Top Bottom