• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox may have outsold Playstation in last quarter (Oct~Dec 2021)

yurinka

This quarter PS couldn't manufacte/sell like half of the units they had planned, which means that this quarter they did aprox. Xbox numbers, since normally PS sells ~2X the XB numbers.

kingfey

Banned
Am I the only one who doesn't care about which sells the most at all?
I don't get this console loyalty, I only rly play on PC and while yes I'll give consoles shit for lower framerates especially I rly don't care what platform is the most successful or people play on.
Like I can't imagine actually being upset or excited because your favorite console sold less/ more.
You only get 1 console from each brand.

This is just fanboys fighting for numbers.

I would like to get my hands on both consoles. But they are out of stock here.

Ozriel

M$FT
I don't want to discard the numbers. I want to know the number! I would like to know how many series s are part of that number. Or any number from Microsoft!

Work hard. Make millions of USD. Become a prominent Microsoft shareholder and then ask Nadella that question.

I bet you also want to know what Spencer ate for breakfast.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
...and what would you gain if MS + XBox vanished?

Electrifying orgasm.

200.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
These no downplaying how much of a genius move, and also a shit ton of luck the series S was. Absolute beast for microsoft.

a lot of luck too, serious luck. Looks like it could cement microsoft with seriously strong sales this generation.

Last edited:

CeeJay

These no downplaying how much of a genius move, and also a shit ton of luck the series S was. Absolute beast for microsoft.

a lot of luck too, serious luck. Looks like it could cement microsoft with seriously strong sales this generation.
There may be an element of luck with the chip shortage but Microsoft's general direction of travel towards making their games available on a wide range of hardware. Spread your potential market as wide as possible, remove as many single points of failure as possible and you are protecting yourself from any unforeseen events that could otherwise cause supply problems. Really MS were not lucky, they factored something like this in to their plan.

So customer wants a PS5 because of all those Sony exclusives, has been planning for weeks months.

Walks into store and only sees Xbox.

Decides to buy Series X/S instead? :pie_thinking:

That does happen. To think it doesn't is unrealistic, wishful thinking. Some people will not buy anything else, and hold out for a PS5. Some will see a Series X|S, and really not want to leave empty handed, grab one, have their justification in mind for doing so, and go ahead and make the purchase.

You think none of the holiday buyers for Series X|S had any interest in a Playstation 5?

Termite

It depends.

People in here who couldn't get a ps5 - have you bought and Xbox?
Yes, this is why I bought a series X. I've been very happy with it too, especially game pass.

Had the PS5 been available I might never have bought an Xbox. Still, due to PSVR2 I reckon I'll have to pick up a PS5 eventually.

They have the U$399,90 PS5 Digital.
This still amazes me that all that power for only 400 bucks. I then go and get the more expensive one with a disc reader that I will most likely never use.
As a side musing on dead to me optical media.
Want to feel old? Play a DVD or bluray that you used to love watching on a modern console. Fast Forward to your favorite scenes. Look how clunky and awkward it is to simply fast forward. Now watch that same thing on Netflix and see how smooth the fast forward with little preview windows. Both PS5 and Series X need to update and modernize their optical media players.

MOTM

Banned
That does happen. To think it doesn't is unrealistic, wishful thinking. Some people will not buy anything else, and hold out for a PS5. Some will see a Series X|S, and really not want to leave empty handed, grab one, have their justification in mind for doing so, and go ahead and make the purchase.

You think none of the holiday buyers for Series X|S had any interest in a Playstation 5?
I have an interest in Samsung Galaxy Phones. However I plan on buying an Iphone because that's what i prefer.

If I go to the store and the Iphone is out of stock I'm definitely not dropping $1000 to buy a Samsung just because. I will get an Iphone next time I can. Hell I've been planning this for days, weeks, months.

Kagey K

Banned
HA, Xbox may have outsold Playstation! May have..... Maybe.... Pretty Please? 😳

I wonder if the chip shortage ever gets sorted, if suddenly no one will care about the XBSS.
It will still sell like hotcakes to the price conscious during the holidays. Especially if they offer some Black Friday bundles.

bender

What time is it?
Series S is the most readily available console of the PS5 and X Series models. Humans are impatient.

We can never actually know because there is no official data. Though its probably correct thanks to series s being in stock and very affordable over the holiday period. PS5 and XSX still nowhere in sight.

Sony

Nintendo
Thats puts PS5 at 17 mil and S|X at 12 mil? Nog bad, last gen it was more than 2:1 in favor of PS4.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I'd like to see a Sony like in 2011-12. PS4 had it way too easy and lived on 3rd person narrative games - but that's also what the competiton didn't have. I want Sony to fight the competition like in 2011-12. New ideas (not PS Vita2!) and a lot more diverse games. Arcade racers, First-Person shooters, F2P, VR.

Competition is great and I'm pretty sure this will be much like the X360 & PS3 era - without all the fuckups.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yes, this is why I bought a series X. I've been very happy with it too, especially game pass.

Had the PS5 been available I might never have bought an Xbox. Still, due to PSVR2 I reckon I'll have to pick up a PS5 eventually.
Interesting.
What's the reason you bought one since you couldn't get your preferred console?

And why have you always preferred PlayStation over xbox? I mean, you know that på exclusives don't come to Xbox, which is why I assume youd rather want a PS5.

Series X is pretty expensive, at least in my country.

If I wanted a ps5, I wouldn't buy the competing console unless I don't care about the exclusives.

Helghan

Can MS keep up that pace of 4-4.5 million units a quarter though? That is a lot of production during a pandemic.
Producing them sure, but selling them is a different story. What games do they have coming out in the next 6 months that are worth it? Compared to Sony who has 2 heavy hitters come out in the first 6 months. Second half of the year is a different story though.

This is all on Series S, at least here in the US. My kids are 8 and 10, and I know of three of their classmates who got Series S for Christmas, as well as two of my family members who play casually (NBA2K and Fortnite), and then one of my friends got one for his kids with Gamepass. NeoGAF ignores kids and casuals, but the price and availability definitely gets it some sales. The other thing is how much smaller the APU is in it when compared to the PS5 or Series X, which makes it much easier to produce in quantity with the current chip shortage

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can’t wait for when the generation is over and microsoft sells considerably more than they did lastgen and the series s is seen as a different family Of consoles to the series x and they start splitting up the numbers, as we are already seeing it.

”well yeah, you COULD say the series consoles sold 80 million units but in reality it’s probably more like 50 million series s and 30 million series x. seeings though the series S is not a real console it means that MS only actually sold 30 million Xbox consoles this generation so they are actually down vs the Xbox one and an absolute failure chortle chortle”

I kid……..…..but someone will do it.

Kagey K

Banned
I can’t wait for when the generation is over and microsoft sells considerably more than they did lastgen and the series s is seen as a different family Of consoles to the series x and they start splitting up the numbers, as we are already seeing it.

”well yeah, you COULD say the series consoles sold 80 million units but in reality it’s probably more like 50 million series s and 30 million series x. seeings though the series S is not a real console it means that MS only actually sold 30 million Xbox consoles this generation so they are actually down vs the Xbox one and an absolute failure chortle chortle”

I kid……..…..but someone will do it.
They are already trying to do it.

I saw someone argue it was 6 million Xbox sold vs 18 PS5 in one of the MS sales threads a while back.

Edit:

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They are already trying to do it.

I saw someone argue it was 6 million Xbox sold vs 18 PS5 in one of the MS sales threads a while back.

well that’s just pathetic, we treat switch sales as switch sales. you don’t break them up by what is a switch lite, original switch or switch oled when discussing overall numbers.

you don’t say the PS4 didn’t hit 117 million units because 20 million are PS4 pro, same for Xbox one and one x/one s.

they are the same generation of console from that manufacturer.
some fans are weird.

Kagey K

Banned
well that’s just pathetic, we treat switch sales as switch sales. you don’t break them up by what is a switch lite, original switch or switch oled when discussing overall numbers.

you don’t say the PS4 didn’t hit 117 million units because 20 million are PS4 pro, same for Xbox one and one x/one s.

they are the same generation of console from that manufacturer.
some fans are weird.
I edited a link to it. 😆

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I don't think it happens that often, certainly not enough to change directions in console sales.

People generally want software. They don't desire "the box." They want the experience that particular box can give them. Only a tiny select percentage of customers are idiots who crave ownership of a plastic box first and foremost.

Series S was a great idea though. Not everyone cares about hi res 4k (which goes back to my point that people mostly just want the experience of the software), and they are readily available everywhere here in SoCal. Cheaper and easier to produce. Cheaper to buy. Available on shelves. Of course the Series S will appeal to a slice of customers.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
cAn'T SeLl WhAt U caNt mAAke

Series S was a genius move. Any chance Sony will come to market with a similar spec'ed console? Or is it too late to try such a move?
doubt it but they really should've. the ps5 digital isn't cheap enough. it's basically just a PS5 without a disc drive. there's only so much they could cut off the cost. sony should've put out a PS5 lite with a less powerful GPU and small capacity SSD. MS really nailed it with Series S.

Last edited:

Termite

Interesting.
What's the reason you bought one since you couldn't get your preferred console?

And why have you always preferred PlayStation over xbox? I mean, you know that på exclusives don't come to Xbox, which is why I assume youd rather want a PS5.

Series X is pretty expensive, at least in my country.

If I wanted a ps5, I wouldn't buy the competing console unless I don't care about the exclusives.
Okay, my reasons (if I can remember them, it's been about 9 months lol)

I was very tired of last-gen load times and textures. I wanted to move on. Unlike a lot of console owners, I do care about visuals and performance. That made me want to buy into next-gen.
Secondly, I play plenty of 3rd party games. I was interested in playing Res Evil Village and Hitman 3 and Hades, and thought it would be nice to do so on a next-gen box.
Thirdly, I really wanted to try Forza Horizon and Microsoft Flight Sim.
Fourthly, I knew that the big PS games would come to PS4 Pro for another year or so if I just HAD to play them.
Fifthly, I enjoy Bethesda games and knew that eventually I'd need an Xbox to play them. (And it ended up introducing me to Prey - holy SHIT what a game.)
Sixthly, I am seriously unimpressed with the PS5 as a physical device and am happy to wait for a "PS5 slim", whereas the XSX is a really good looking, silent piece of kit.
Lastly, I was interested in whether game pass really would be a huge savings for me. (And it has been.)

I've always preferred PS over Xbox due to the exclusives, but PS tastes have changed over time. I loved MGS, Final Fantasy, WipeOut. Sony these days is Last of Us, God of War and Spiderman. It's not quite the same. There are still traces of that classic Sony - Astro Bot on PSVR being the best example, it's a masterpiece - but they've lost me a little bit over time.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
They had a supply drop somewhere in November didn't they? Plus Forza and Halo did they part, so did GP. As oppose to previous gen's launch, MS is doing all the right moves this time around.

They have the U$399,90 PS5 Digital.

With close to 100$ games, no thanks. Without regional pricing DE it's easily the absolute worst offer of this gen.

Top Bottom