• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox may have outsold Playstation in last quarter (Oct~Dec 2021)

Godot25

Banned
Strange way to say "none".
From that list only Destruction All-Stars, Ratchet, Returnal and Deathloop were released last year. And I wouldn't call any of them system seller. Shitty multiplayer game (is it even still alive?), platformer, niche roguelike/bullet hell hybrid and probably even more niche immersive sim lite.
Lol. Sony boys here on GAF were praising these games as an awesome lineup and now they are bad?

Weren't Returnal, Deathloop and Ratchet nominated for many GOTY awards?

Like what the hell dude? I mean, sure, you can say "i don't like any of those personally" but this shit?

I mean, yeah, they probably weren't system sellers like Horizon Forbidden West, but do you really think, that release of Forbbiden West would suddenly create more PS5 consoles for people to buy?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
How you gonna get an Xbox SX if you can’t get a PS5. They both having the same issue. No one is going to take a SS over a PS5.
Why does it have to be over and not in addition to? I could see people who are waiting for a PS5 buy any available Xbox to have access to Halo while they wait. Same holds for people with dust collecting PS5s who don't also have a PC. A lot of people can afford more than one system.

mejin

As we have the official 3.9 million number by Sony and based on estimates from @Welfare and @ZhugeEX

oh-i-see.jpg

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
PS5 is outselling Series X/S. Point is that right now it does not looks like difference will be 2,3:1 like it was in Xbox One generation
imo still early to say so due to supply constraint.
I mean Series S is in better supply compared to Series X and PS5.
So it actually helps to bump up sales for the Xbox Series.

Supply constraint is the issue here.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Which ones have they confirmed will be next-gen only? The stuff that CAN run on XB1 without dramatic changes probably will, like what Sony is doing. It's just what makes sense business-wise.

I guess MS might not be as dependent on their XB1 userbase as Sony is on their much larger PS4 userbase though.
Every single one?
Avowed, Starfield, Fable, Hellblade, Redfall, Contraband, Forza Motorsport, Outer Worlds 2, Everwild (if it will even be released), Perfect Dark...

Weren't Returnal, Deathloop and Ratchet nominated for many GOTY awards?
You don't see difference between system seller and good game? That are two totally different thing. Prey was easily in top 5 of best games of last generation and it's sales were terrible.
Not every oscar movie is blockbuster, they usually aren't actually.
Argument was that Sony is making tons of great exclusives and they don't help them in selling more consoles because of production problems when in reality no game released last year by Sony could be considered system seller. They literally didn't released any game in holiday season. In second half of year they only had Redfall and it's sales would be considered flop in any other year.

Godot25

Banned
imo still early to say so due to supply constraint.
I mean Series S is in better supply compared to Series X and PS5.
So it actually helps to bump up sales for the Xbox Series.

Supply constraint is the issue here.
Isn't Series X also constraint by supply?

DrAspirino

Banned
It’s literally dumb to think that if PS5 is having chip shortages that literally all other console manufacturers is not having the same exact issue.
The percentage of drop for all platforms pubs should be the exact same.
You see, that's where you're wrong: With the Xbox series consoles, Microsoft and TSMC are able to get more "usable" chips per-wafer. Since the only difference in both is the GPU, defective chips in Series X can be used in Series S by updating the microcode so it identifies only 20 CU instead of the 52 present in Series X. If, for any reason, Series S sells better than Series X, they simply dedicate more wafers to Series S APU. Same cannot be said about PS5, which defective APUs in wafers have to disable the entire GPU microcode and be sold as motherboards for office PCs.

Series S was a stroke of genius after all.

VHGATVD.jpg
EXACTLY

Playstation had a relatively bad holiday season. Just for reference, the PS4 literally never sold below 4m during the holiday quarter until the PS5 arrived.
You can’t make that comparison they didn’t have covid or manufacturing issues during ps4 which was also 100 dollars cheaper.

buenoblue

Series s has muddied the water somewhat. The fact that series s are readily available means Microsoft are not selling through the shipments. And the fact they count series s and x as the same console, even though the series x is vastly more powerful. The question I'd like to know is how many series x have they sold. Must be less that half I'd say, that puts true next gen console for Microsoft at 6 million against 17.3 million for Sony....

Series s has muddied the water somewhat. The fact that series s are readily available means Microsoft are not selling through the shipments. And the fact they count series s and x as the same console, even though the series x is vastly more powerful. The question I'd like to know is how many series x have they sold. Must be less that half I'd say, that puts true next gen console for Microsoft at 6 million against 17.3 million for Sony....

Has the same CPU and SSD features. It would be stupid to not call it next gen.... As all new games for the generation will be released on it too. I get it is less powerful.... But to discard the numbers because its not as powerful is ridiculous.

That's like discounting the base PS4 because the pro came out.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The only console I've ever seen on a shelf was the series s so it's not out of the question if they were able to manufacture more of those.

Vaelka

Am I the only one who doesn't care about which sells the most at all?
I don't get this console loyalty, I only rly play on PC and while yes I'll give consoles shit for lower framerates especially I rly don't care what platform is the most successful or people play on.
Like I can't imagine actually being upset or excited because your favorite console sold less/ more.

Topher

Gold Member
So customer wants a PS5 because of all those Sony exclusives, has been planning for weeks months.

Walks into store and only sees Xbox Series S.

Decides to buy Series S instead? :pie_thinking:

ftfy

People need to stop grouping X|S together and pretending that the availability is the same. It isn't.

MonarchJT

Banned
you hurting your nails scratching that mirror

Vaelka

So do we only count high end PC's too when talking about PC gaming?
This is an odd way of looking at it it's still the same games just lower settings.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Sorry people trying to downplay this, I love Sony and all and the PS5 is in greater demand, but the fact of the matter is that Xbox will outsell the PS5 until the shortages are over because Series S is easier to make.

The only reason PS5 even made it this far is because Sony ordered more supply wafers when the PS5 launched prepandemic but the well has run dry. Xbox is in greater supply and will be for the next several years until these supply issues get ironed out.

Ozriel

M$FT
Not true where I'm from. The Series X is sold out at every retailer but the Series S is fully stocked on shelves everywhere I look.

How does this reply make sense?
Of course if you make more, you sell more. The Series S sells much slower than the Series X or the PS5, but it sells steadily all the same.

Nice conspiracy. Next up, iPhones are selling terribly because Apple stopped sharing numbers.

I’ve always found it distasteful how that chap’s brand of console warring is often so illogical and unsubtle.

Ozriel

M$FT
I mean you can have your own takes for sure but counting the series x and series s as the same sku for sales is disingenuous. As is tradition for Microsoft lately. Would you count the sales of a 3050ti in with a 3080ti? They play the same games just at different settings.

Yea? When we count the lifetime sales for PS4, we won’t break out the PS4 Pro separately. Total xbox one sales include sales of the zone X.
We have precedence in the console space. Why would you not stick to that?

buenoblue

Has the same CPU and SSD features. It would be stupid to not call it next gen.... As all new games for the generation will be released on it too. I get it is less powerful.... But to discard the numbers because its not as powerful is ridiculous.

That's like discounting the base PS4 because the pro came out.

I don't want to discard the numbers. I want to know the number! I would like to know how many series s are part of that number. Or any number from Microsoft!

MikeM

This.
Joe Shmoe can live with whatever box he can play the newest cod/fifa/madden/nba game on.
Doesn`t have to be the most desirable product around if there is no choice....
And lets be real. These games play perfectly fine still on last gen hardware.

What cross-gen games MS have in development?
Why would you even take Activision into account when they will not be part of MS for more than a year (if US government will even agree to that transaction) and MS has nothing to say how they work now.
Stop it please.... It's a console not your brother that needs protection, if I open my Xbox one today is there a game in Xbox ecosystem that I can't play? Xbox and PlayStation at the moment have cross gens games and that will be for the whole 2022. Any current Gen game that will be real current Gen will come in 2023 the earliest.

Riky

$MSFT
Yea? When we count the lifetime sales for PS4, we won’t break out the PS4 Pro separately. Total xbox one sales include sales of the zone X.
We have precedence in the console space. Why would you not stick to that?

Probably when you're desperate.

Orbital2060

I dont know if youre being serious, but … the Series S is just as next gen as the Series X. Its just designed for a 1080p-1440p output instead of 4K resolutions. Thats all.

Same CPU, same SSD.

Thats what defines next gen.

Having availability will do that. Every time I pop into a local wally, I usually see at least one series s sitting on the shelf.

Papacheeks

Banned
You see, that's where you're wrong: With the Xbox series consoles, Microsoft and TSMC are able to get more "usable" chips per-wafer. Since the only difference in both is the GPU, defective chips in Series X can be used in Series S by updating the microcode so it identifies only 20 CU instead of the 52 present in Series X. If, for any reason, Series S sells better than Series X, they simply dedicate more wafers to Series S APU. Same cannot be said about PS5, which defective APUs in wafers have to disable the entire GPU microcode and be sold as motherboards for office PCs.

EXACTLY
What? Series S chip is smaller in dye size? Because of less gpu cores. They are not using defective series x chips. The chip size when cut are a set thing dye space wise. Like defective chips that come from PS5's are re-tested and sold to third party's to use for cpu's in other devices or in some cases pc's like mini media machines.

kuncol02

Banned
Stop it please.... It's a console not your brother that needs protection, if I open my Xbox one today is there a game in Xbox ecosystem that I can't play? Xbox and PlayStation at the moment have cross gens games and that will be for the whole 2022. Any current Gen game that will be real current Gen will come in 2023 the earliest.
Flight Sim is Series X only. No MS game that is supposed to release in 2022 (at least not ones already announced) will be playable on XOne.

PhaseJump

Banned
Xbox just got 3 sales out of people I know this week. I still never replaced my One consoles.

I can wait... They conditioned me to wait... I'm waiting for JRPGs, acquisitions in Japan, and for Forza Horizon 5 to finish loading on a One X.

Top Bottom