• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One beats PS4 on Black Friday, according to market-research firm

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMaRsu

Banned
Not true at all, multiplats haven't been so different such that the experience has been compromised significantly, X1 is more than capable of keeping up so far, and first party support is subjective. As a console that offers compelling content for gamers, x1 is just as worthy as PS4 based on your criteria.

X1 first party is not subjective if you look at the first party support for Xbox 360 in the last three years vs ps4 support.

Then the multiplat, while some may not care about 900p or whatever I want my next gen console to be able to run games at my tv's native resolution.

I dont feel 900p with reduced effects etc keeping up.

JaggedSac

Xbox One is the better deal right now period ....

Better games
Better price

its that simple .... and i own both the XOne and ps4

For the causal gamers, that is all they care about price and games , The PS4 could be 10 times more power but it does not make a difference. .....Price and games is all that matters.

You forgot less P's.

Nameless

Picked up a Last of Us/GTAV PS4 bundle over the weekend. Tough decision coming from the 360, but, most simply put, PS4 offered tangibly better hardware and to me, a more compelling catalog right now and going forward. That along with the inclusion of two Quintuple A games made this bundle the best value out there as far I was concerned.

No one should be surprised MS cleaned up, though. You could land a One with a game or two for $300 or less factoring in gift cards. Hell, I think I still have an Xbone in one of my shopping carts.

Krilekk

Banned
Aqua, maybe I'm missing it but why couldn't the XBO have won black Friday last year in NA and still lost November? The PS4 did have a better value proposition then and launched sooner in the month. It being a launch November means that black Friday wasn't as big a deal as sales were mega huge all month regardless.

Are you saying this survey is flat out wrong and XBO didn't win Black Friday or are you saying it doesn't matter because there was no correlation last year? Either way I think the premise is wrong when you consider my first paragraph.

It's best to exclude the launch platforms because of supply constraints and just look at the other platforms. If you apply the 2-3 % difference that every survey has over actual numbers you'll see that their market shares for the other four consoles pretty much matched the November NPD sales of those platforms. So their numbers are very likely true.

Talax

Last year:

1,500 out of 102,000 tracked receipts were "console or game sales." That's 1.47% of receipts.

Approximately 0.9% of receipts were probably console sales, so applying that to this year's 182,000:

There's probably 1,600 console receipts tracked. This could be a decent sample size *if* the sample was representative, but as we've discussed, there are a variety of issues with that.

I see.

Based on that last year's data's inconsistency with NPD results this might not be the best of indications for BF then.

Also, I checked their website and they say

InfoScout's panel is comprised of a broader range of demographic & psychographic profiles than legacy panels.

Our analytics are demographically weighted and balanced to provide a nationally projectable sample of American shopping behavior. In addition, our shopper profiles, psychographic attributes and Facebook integration provide unparalleled opportunities for segmentation.

They don't mention any changes in sample people here. If the same consumers keep giving their sample of receipts as shopping evidence, don't they run the risk of creating a sample from consumers that have the same tastes every year? I feel like that's probably why the general trend towards Xbox from last year is replicating this year.

This is all me contemplating though. I'm probably wrong.

CoG

Xbox One is the better deal right now period ....

Better games
Better price

its that simple .... and i own both the XOne and ps4

For the causal gamers, that is all they care about price and games , The PS4 could be 10 times more power but it does not make a difference. .....Price and games is all that matters.

I hear this all the time. If that's truly the case wouldn't the Wii U be the console to get then?

greenegt

And they'll soon be gone. It seems like a financially unhealthy way to boost sales only to end up back at square one. Sony hasn't really even started competing yet.

The sale of the console is not the end. More users = more subs, games, and accesories purchased over the next few years. Way better than doing nothing and moving less units.

Biker19

Banned
How are they complacent? Because they're not desperately playing catchup? Because they got their UI right the first time? Because they didn't have to unbundle an accessory that's a $100 anchor on the price? Because they didn't moneyhat Tomb Raider? I don't get the complacent comments.

I know; We aren't even halfway into this generation. It has only been one year since PS4 & Xbox One have been out. One year!

RBK

Banned
Wii U provides a much different gaming experience than what MS/Sony offers.

I got flamed for calling it a novelty item, but there's many reasons why GameCube and the Wii U have sub-par performance sales wise.

It looks like this thread has become this weekend's crazy-collector.

lol. How some people reach their.... opinion.... it's a great thread to read :)

Saying that, here's my completely unfounded and uneducated opinion....

Of course the XBone will outsell the PS4 in November. Sony don't care, they're making money.

MS on the other hand, it's like their final stand. imo of course. Drop the price and throw in a pile of games. I think we can all agree they're selling the console at a loss, how much I don't know. I wonder how much they're having to pay the publishers for those pack in games as well. $15 a game? MS could be looking at a loss anywhere between $50 to $100 at a wild guess. Crazy times.

On a per user / buyer level, will they ever make that money back? If you get a bundle with 3 games, you probably won't be buying anymore games until next year. How many of these will get Gold? I imagine Gold (and PS+) has a very high attachment for early adopters, but these are bargain buyers, not necessarily the ardent gamers.

Are MS just bringing forward all their December sales to November?

So many questions. Looks to me like Phil was tasked with getting the XBone into as many homes as possible over Xmas. Does make me think they'll be some big decisions next year, on the corporate level, based on these results.

NPD threads are going to be hilarious for the next few months.

Wii U provides a much different gaming experience than what MS/Sony offers.

I got flamed for calling it a novelty item, but there's many reasons why GameCube and the Wii U have sub-par performance sales wise.

you could say the same about the wii in respect to the 360/Ps3. a new generation demands for better hardware and since nintendo did not meet those demands it saw a loss in 3rd party support.

Chris1

I hear this all the time. If that's truly the case wouldn't the Wii U be the console to get then?
I hear this all the time. Price + exclusive games are only the cherry on top, obviously people will want to play FIFA and CoD and whatever else on top of the good exclusives, but if you're going to buy a console for FIFA + CoD you're better off getting the one with better first party games to your taste and the one that's cheaper. WiiU doesn't even come into play, Nintendo is in their own little world.

Picked up a Last of Us/GTAV PS4 bundle over the weekend. Tough decision coming from the 360, but, most simply put, PS4 offered tangibly better hardware and to me, a more compelling catalog right now and going forward. That along with the inclusion of two Quintuple A games made this bundle the best value out there as far I was concerned.

No one should be surprised MS cleaned up, though. You could land a One with a game or two for $300 or less factoring in gift cards. Hell, I think I still have an Xbone in one of my shopping carts.

Enjoy TLoU and GTA! I hope there'll be a lot more to get hyped about with PSX in a week and fill up that catalogue (2015 already is crazy as well)

The Xbone bundles too are really incredible. A lot of people will naturally take advantage at that price. I expect MS to shave a November win

SeanR1221

I'd pretty much expect them to take November. They're practically giving the system away. 330 at target with a 50.00 gift card? You can buy pretty much all your essentials at target so that's as good as cash imo. It's like you get the system for 280.00 plus 2 games. That insanely cheap.

Bgamer90

Banned
X1 first party is not subjective if you look at the first party support for Xbox 360 in the last three years vs ps4 support.

That's a completely different console so it shouldn't be used as a fact. The Xbox 360 was able to coast a bit thanks to its position. If anything, due to the Xbox One not being above the PS4 in overall sales + the Xbox One not being the most powerful system of its gen, MS will more than likely focus more on core gaming exclusives for the whole gen in comparison to how things were last gen.

Bgamer90

Banned
On a per user / buyer level, will they ever make that money back? If you get a bundle with 3 games, you probably won't be buying anymore games until next year. How many of these will get Gold? I imagine Gold (and PS+) has a very high attachment for early adopters, but these are bargain buyers, not necessarily the ardent gamers.

These are still people buying consoles during the early part of the gen though; positive the majority of people buying them this Holiday season will subscribe to the online services.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
We can have one of these threads when it isn't a total trainwreck. As a note for next time, the metacommentary and personal snipes are going to result in bans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom