• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Coming to 26 new markets in September

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I paid 750$ for my Xbox One (German import in Switzerland @Gamestop) just to play the future Halo games. But I'm still pissed off by Microsoft for making such a bad console compared to the Xbox360.

Why would you buy it that early, for that much, just for a game that's still such a long way off? Doesn't make much sense if there's currently nothing you want for it.

EGM1966

I agree.

But the fix seems so simple. Just ship the fucking thing without Kinect. It's obvious they're going to have to do this at some point, just cut to the chase and get it over with. Especially when it's now preventing you from launching in so many countries. It's madness.

I guess the question is how much do MS really care about selling a videogame console vs pursuing their plan which was always to sell a PC like box that "owned" the living room using games as a Trojan Horse?

Seems to me they're caught between a rock and a hard place currently. Ditch their broader plans (at least for the moment) and try and re-group back to the momentum they saw with 360 or stick to their guns and try and figure out a way to make the XB1 broader plan work.

Personally I think they should just accept the idea of a global single entertainment box is impossible - too many regions, different TV providers, etc.

They either need to stick to a smaller market and push the current XB1 strategy or admit the strategy will never work globally and ditch Kinect/services and re-group on games.

Or maybe even try for both with a two SKU strategy - one with Kinect/services, etc. and the other a game centric device with cut back OS and no-Kinect.

Right now though I think they're caught between both paths and not making enough headway down either.

ramparter

Banned
I have a 360 and I couldn't care less. PS4 would be the obvious choice if I were to buy a next gen console - I won't though.

That's a significant lead to give Sony especially since Sony will probably be dropping bombs at E3 and people will be going out to buy one.

EGM1966

That's a significant lead to give Sony especially since Sony will probably be dropping bombs at E3 and people will be going out to buy one.

Given the PS3 gave the 360 an even longer lead in many of these territories yet still ended up outselling it over time you do have to wonder just how damaging the reverse is going to prove for MS.

I paid 750$ for my Xbox One (German import in Switzerland @Gamestop) just to play the future Halo games. But I'm still pissed off by Microsoft for making such a bad console compared to the Xbox360.

I never understood blind loyalty to a company brand. I had a 360 last gen early when ps3 was shitting the bed, Went ps4 now as it is clearly the better system right now, Why pay 750 for a game thats over a year away, when a competotor system is cheaper and a better gaming system?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
September? Jesus.

I was shocked to learn they had only still released in the original 13 countries just a while ago. I figured then that the tier two peeps would get it in summer, but September? Good god.

watership

did they drop the Tier stuff..? wasn´t it Microsoft that started putting countries in Tiers..?

Let's get the root of this. The "Tier" statement came from one Japanese MS exec, during an interview where he was explaining the why the console wasn't launching in Japan. It was either a miss translation, or his bungling of the words. He might have been talking about stages, or roll out plans. As far as I know, there has never been a single other MS PR, or MS exec who's ever said these words again. Most companies call these roll out "Phases".

Faith

I never understood blind loyalty to a company brand. I had a 360 last gen early when ps3 was shitting the bed, Went ps4 now as it is clearly the better system right now, Why pay 750 for a game thats over a year away, when a competotor system is cheaper and a better gaming system?
I know, I have a PC (4770K, GTX770) and it's my main system because I don't want to pay for online gaming, the games are much cheaper, Steam, multitasking (Skype etc.) and the much better graphics.

But new consoles are a rare thing and I have to live with this Xbox for the next 5-6 years. So why should I wait? To save 50$?

Nzyme32

I know, I have a PC (4770K, GTX770) and it's my main system because I don't want to pay for online gaming, the games are much cheaper, Steam, multitasking (Skype etc.) and the much better graphics.

But new consoles are a rare thing and I have to live with this Xbox for the next 5-6 years. So why should I wait? To save 50$?

Although, if you are brand agnostic, would it not be better to wait and see which machine has the better support and features in the works? A lot of that will not be clear till later this year or further still

Sounds like you're really happy about your decision!

Faith

Although, if you are brand agnostic, would it not be better to wait and see which machine has the better support and features in the works? A lot of that will not be clear till later this year or further still
PS4 is already orderer (since November '13). I will profit from every platform ;)

Sounds like you're really happy about your decision!
What decision? To buy consoles?

Let's get the root of this. The "Tier" statement came from one Japanese MS exec, during an interview where he was explaining the why the console wasn't launching in Japan. It was either a miss translation, or his bungling of the words. He might have been talking about stages, or roll out plans. As far as I know, there has never been a single other MS PR, or MS exec who's ever said these words again. Most companies call these roll out "Phases".

shhhh
just roll with it

UberTag

At least people in Poland will now be able to play The Witcher 3 on an Xbox One when it comes out should they choose.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I got a 360 for Dead Rising; getting a XB1 for Dead Rising 3 sounds like a plan - but cheaper, Kinect-less SKU please.

Kimppis

Thanks MS. OG Xbox and 360 were excellent machines. The 360 was actually popular here in Finland, but this time they dropped the ball. Not only the release date, but the price and just the whole machine overall. :/ Makes me kinda sad. The Xbox brand was underrated outside the US and the UK but this time I feel that they pretty much deserve it (read: shitty sales).

Cassovia

...Why September? They already have so much extra inventory... :p

Well, from Slovakia and Czech Republic perspective, our stores already started selling them, thanks to the fact, that they are connected to a much larger EU chains where MS already selling X1, they probably shifted their unsold reserve.

This is going to be one of the weirdest console launch in modern EU, because every gamer that want X1 already got one.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

7ejdULE.jpg

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
I really dont get MS.
They behave like they never released a console before.

How can they fuck this up so much?
Whatever they learn from OG Xbox and 360 is like blown away..

Jesus christ their project management is not working.

Its mind boggling MS.. MIND BOGGLING the fuck up.

joecanada

Finally a release date. But I'm afraid that it won't do much for MS. The consoles are already available here, albeit at inflated prices and grey import.
Dude, grow a sense of humor don't shoot into instant defense mode when someone makes a joke about PlayStation. Prince Vultan is only joking.

I don't think it was defense mode... I'm also confused by the dates.... don't you mean RIP playstation Oct 2014 ...? as in xbox will crush ps4 when it releases worldwide? I didn't get the reference ...

ahhh i got it.. rip for its life cycle 2013 - 2014... haha

Terra

Sony was the only company to not mess up releases this generation. Well, if you don´t count the thing being out of stock.

Nintendo and Microsoft really need to go back and do their homework.

I just don't understand their logic by not releasing it sooner without localized speech recognition. They give Sony a MAJOR head start in what is already a a pro Sony region for something that it is not even a feature that many people would be devastated to be without and now every core gamer gets a PS4 and so will their more "casual" friends later on since there is where everybody will be. Another disturbing thing about this is that almost everybody here in Sweden speaks English and we have a pretty decent accent since no TV, movies, games or anything (except targeted at children) is dubbed. Hell we even have commercials in English without subtitles. I believe we would have even less problem than in the UK with all different accents.

Elios83

Wow huge delay.
But this strengthens my opinion that Microsoft has decided not to bother launching in these countries until they know they can be more competitive.
That probably means that a lower price is already being planned for late summer with more games targeted at some of those markets (Japan mainly).
Still their chances of success are really really slim and in the process they have furtherly restricted the Xbox brand to a US and main european markets affair....which is the opposite of what they should have achieved but well......it's hard to recover when you fuck up on such a big scale.

I really dont get MS.
They behave like they never released a console before.

How can they fuck this up so much?
Whatever they learn from OG Xbox and 360 is like blown away..

Jesus christ their project management is not working.

Its mind boggling MS.. MIND BOGGLING the fuck up.

Well, considering the staff turnover, this is essentially true. All the people behind the Xbox and the 360 are gone, or marginalized. There's no institutional memory.

This launch has been a fuck up of monumental proportions.

Was MS really ready to launch in 2013? More and more evidence indicates they were aiming for 2014 and Sony caught them with their pants down. Pretty dumb considering 360 launched first. MS would've been perfectly fine launching in 2012, giving 360 a healthy 7 year lifecycle and once again getting a year head start over Sony.

Maybe next time MS, lol.

Well MS did launch to early with the 360, evidence being the entire design flaw with the RROD of first gen hardware. There were reports that the manufacturing defects would be high, which resulted in in low yields, but launched anyway to kill off the original Xbox as soon as possible and beat Sony to release. The automatic 3 year extended warranty and $1 billion reserved for RROD was a doozy; it was a complete design flaw.

Top Bottom