• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Coming to 26 new markets in September

nampad

I am still surprised that MS delays the Tier 2 launch by so much. Skipping summer is an obvious move but why didn't they launch in spring over there?
The (absolute) sales numbers are good so I don't think they could really have expected to sell much more. We have had stories about stacks of unsold Xbones in many stores and countries and from a production standpoint they should be able to get as many out as Sony so supply shouldn't have been the problem for the delay in Tier 2 countries.

rokkerkory

Why can't they break up Tier 2 into phases? there's plenty of stock around so sending stock to some of those countries early is better?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
7ejdULE.jpg
bwahahahaha

Has there ever been such a time split between a major console release occuring between Japan / US?

Can't recall one ....

I could understand this massive delay if the X1 was sold out and having a hard time supplying the major tier 1 regions but that isn't the case at all. So why not send the extra stock to everyone else? Was it Kinect?

Sublyminal

Neo Member
So, MS is going to shoot themselves in the foot again... after their screw-up at E3. Sony at E3 is going to be raining bombs on MS.

I wonder if Sony plans on going in for the kill with a price drop... nah, they don't feel the need to, not yet.

Jomjom

Banned
Well if ms has an amazing E3 maybe the September release will actually be pretty smart. It's not like they are going to get amazing sales if they release in those countries right this moment.

I hear Microsoft is readying a really ambitious shipment of just over 50 units for the Japanese launch. They are going all out this time!

Naminator

Banned
Why is everyone bitching and moaning about this? I guess some just will never pass an opportunity to complain about something Microsoft related.

These people are getting a more stable system, with more features which all the day one buyers had to wait for, probably with a price drop, with way more games and most will probably be at a discount due to them being a year old.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Well if ms has an amazing E3 maybe the September release will actually be pretty smart. It's not like they are going to get amazing sales if they release in those countries right this moment.

But...Titanfall.

Why is everyone bitching and moaning about this? I guess some just will never pass an opportunity to complain about something Microsoft related.

These people are getting a more stable system, with more features which all the day one buyers had to wait for, probably with a price drop, with way more games and most will probably be at a discount due to them being a year old.

Because a 10 month wait is pretty damn insane. Plus some people are bitching and moaning because, you know, they live in those countries.

pringles

What is this, the 80s??? Launching it that late is inexcusable. Glad I wasn't actually going to pick up a One anytime soon or I'd be pissed. MS is really doing their best to sway me towards PS4 though.

Kimppis

I just don't understand their logic by not releasing it sooner without localized speech recognition. They give Sony a MAJOR head start in what is already a a pro Sony region for something that it is not even a feature that many people would be devastated to be without and now every core gamer gets a PS4 and so will their more "casual" friends later on since there is where everybody will be. Another disturbing thing about this is that almost everybody here in Sweden speaks English and we have a pretty decent accent since no TV, movies, games or anything (except targeted at children) is dubbed. Hell we even have commercials in English without subtitles. I believe we would have even less problem than in the UK with all different accents.

Yeah. Exactly the same here in Finland (and probably in many other European countries too). I find it hard to believe that the voice recognition was the issue. But I think, as a whole, that the Xbox One is an inferior product compared to the PS4, especially outside the US/UK. The brand is weak here (it was pretty strong for a while, with the 360, but those days won't come back). The price is higher and the system is weaker. They don't stand a chance, no matter what. Atleast the OG Xbox was a beast and reasonably well priced.

Well maybe he was right when he said it and they changed their strategy. That happens, you know. Probably happened with CBOAT too.

To be fair, ntkrnl said "End of April" and it says "We’ll have much more to share at a local level towards the end of April". So he's partially right that something was happening at the end of April.

I would have toughed they would use Titanfall for Tier 2 countries.
But given how it will be a pretty dry time with game releases maybe its better to surf on that E3 hype if they can generate it.

Why not wait until 2016, it will be a lot betetr then and even more software..your post makes zero sense.

Naminator

Banned
Might has well wait a couple more years imagine the progress then!

Whelp, then there is absolutely no reason to buy a console until after the generation is over. Think of all the benefits!

Why not wait until 2016, it will be a lot betetr then and even more software..your post makes zero sense.

Ohhh my the responses are as predictable as ever.

Maybe try not take things to an extreme level? Ever though of that?

Maybe when a new console is launched waiting a year as opposed to waiting 10 is a good thing because in the first year all the IMPORTANT issues will most likely be resolved?

But I guess no point can ever be made around here unless in can withstand being taken to absurd logical extremes.

Maybe when a new console is launched waiting a year as opposed to waiting 10 is a good thing because in the first year all the IMPORTANT issues will most likely be resolved?

But I guess no point can ever be made around here unless in can withstand being taken to absurd logical extremes.

There is ZERo benefit to waiting, it's a lose, lose for MS, the system wont be drastically diff in SEPT then now. It's not like x1 is unuseable now .

Into

If you think this is SO amazing then wait for 2018, and buy a Xbox One with 30 games on Craigslist for 150 dollars, including Gears of War 4, Halo 8 and GTA 7, what a fucking deal, those poor people with only who can only save 30-50 dollars a year, have it made!

If you live in a tier 1 country AND bought a Xbox One, then clearly these perks arent as good as you say they are, otherwise, the person making these arguments, aka you, would have waited.

The entire argument makes no sense. You are speaking on the behalf of those who live in T2 Euro countries, like me.

Pot meet kettle. You are the extreme one here, you are trying to argue that it is a ADVANTAGE that a product is delayed by almost a year. That is extreme, all just to paint this as good news, come the f on.

It's only as absurd as saying "it's a good thing" people who wanted the console had to wait so long to be honest.

If the replies you got were "predictable" then you are pretty obviously steering the conversation into a place where you want to argue your point no matter the cause rather than just holding that belief.

So I take it each country will be able to use their language for voice commands then, given that it was stated, and doubled down upon, that that was the only reason the Xbox One wasn't launching there in phase one.

If it does launch and doesn't have native language support, I'd be pissed if I were in one of those countries.

RibMan

Maybe they're aligning the launch with the inevitable price drop, and the added benefit of post-E3 hype.

That could be a potential reason for the late launch.

Another reason is that they've crunched the numbers and they've realized that they're not even going to sell half of what they sell in their "Tier 1" countries. Basically, they can launch as late as they want in their "Tier 2" countries because their chances of success in those countries is low. Very low.

Into

It's only as absurd as saying "it's a good thing" people who wanted the console had to wait so long to be honest.

If the replies you got were "predictable" then you are pretty obviously steering the conversation into a place where you want to argue your point no matter the cause rather than just holding that belief.

And he is carefully making sure that neither argument works by saying:

So has come to the conclusion that buying a gaming console, 10 month after release is perfect. Hell Microsoft is doing these people a favor.

If this was such a favor, they would have released the console in their biggest markets (US and UK) 10 months after release.

Makes.absolutely.no.sense.

What did he get wrong? Was it just the dates?

He was very very close country wise. Ntkrnl's list is only missing Belgium, the Netherlands and Switzerland from what I can tell.

He did get the dates and the fact that it's one big roll out wrong though

Might not be completely up to date, as I tend not to care about anything other than NA and Europe.

April, 2014
-
Japan
South Korea
Taiwan
Singapore
Hong Kong

Russia
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Denmark

Colombia
Chile
Argentina

October, 2014
-
China
Poland
Czech Repub.
Hungary (yes, I am. Almost lunch.)
Greece
Portugal
Slovakia

Turkey
Saudi Arabia
South Africa
United Allied Emirates
Israel

India
Indonesia
Egypt

Versus

Major Nelson said:
September 2014

• Argentina
• Belgium
• Chile
• Colombia
• Czech Republic
• Denmark
• Finland
• Greece
• Hungary
• India
• Israel
• Japan
• Korea
• Netherlands
• Norway
• Poland
• Portugal
• Russia
• Saudi Arabia
• Singapore
• Slovakia
• South Africa
• Sweden
• Switzerland
• Turkey
• UAE

Into

MS releasing 10 months later for these markets is shitty. So is Sony releasing several months later in Japan. No reason to defend these companies this vigorously. Delay = bad.

The consumer will make his or her own decision whether they want to buy it, they dont need anyone on a message board forum quantifying what is a "perfect" release.

EDIT: And *I* actually live in one of these Tier 2 "10 month later PERFECT RELEASE Markets", i dont want someone who had the console months ago telling me what is good for me. Thanks for your concern, but we know what we want. I might just have the budget to get a X1 in April, and i cannot unless i import.

Chobel

You ungrateful tier 2 countries, MS are doing you a big favor, "all the IMPORTANT issues will most likely be resolved".

Naminator

Banned
You ungrateful tier 2 countries, MS are doing you a big favor, "all the IMPORTANT issues will most likely be resolved".

LMAO very nicely done.

It's my opinion, you going to have to deal with it brah, I don't own any next-gen consoles and I feel that these things have been released a year too early, machines that have less features and functionality than the last-gen consoles and not much games.

If the Xbone OS is so great right now why are all the OS updates are treated with the usual "it should have already been there at the release"? And all the Sony updates are treated with the usual '"*sigh* more stability fixes"?

Considering the benefits of waiting, I'm not convinced that it's "pretty damn insane".

... I don't see the benefits you're talking about.

1. You can't price drop a price that doesn't exist in a country.... (unless you're talking about the EU price and no that wont be lower in September)

2. Better software is evident... but everyone with older Xbox Ones also has better software...

3. Bigger library... but most of the games dual platform or on PC too (pretty much all of them) will have already been out for some time, playable elsewhere (see what happened to the Wii U launch line-up) aside from games that will almost be a year old by then...

It kinda makes sense to release in September (post E3/Gamescom/TGS) and just before the holiday sales season when you're ramping up production anyway. They may also want to have the software localized for these countries before they launch.

With the exception of Japan, 10-months doesn't seem like a long time relative to previous generations of consoles.

Chettlar

Banned
He was very very close country wise. Ntkrnl's list is only missing Belgium, the Netherlands and Switzerland from what I can tell.

He did get the dates and the fact that it's one big roll out wrong though

Versus

Hm. That gives me hope then for him. At least, it's not a full mark against him.

Dates change all the time. Changing what countries your releasing in? That's different. The fact that he at least got those is somewhat encouraging.

Top Bottom