• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - Help Spread the Word

Nash20

Banned
Yes. Please stop dragging all of us into your embarrassing nervous breakdowns.

This place has devolved into the worst kind of fanaticism, where none of us can get accurate, measured information and discussion about the industry.

Stop it.

Its like the videogame version of the occupy movement. Us normals will continue with life like usual and enjoy the Xbox One for what it is.

Qassim

Are you angry at economics? Boycotting something isn't futile because the alternative is also trying to make a buck, they are the ones who deserve it.

What? No, I'm angry at people complaining about the influence these companies have over the industry when it was them who gave them the influence. Closed, tightly controlled games systems were never, and never have been the only way to play video games, but enthusiasts have welcomed them without a care for the health of the industry.

Then when one company does something people don't like and start to suggest moving to another closed, controlled system - they're not solving the long term problem. They're solving a short term problem caused by the fact we're giving mainly three companies huge control over the games industry and thus the art form. Currently Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

This isn't about economics, this is about the health of the video game medium.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

If this is bothering you this much you need to seriously reevaluate priorities in your life.

I was actually embarrassed today that I have the Neogaf logo pinned on my smartphone screen. This place has devolved into the worst kind of fanaticism, where none of us can get accurate, measured information and discussion about the industry.

Stop it.
You're free to leave.

hwy_61

Banned

If this is bothering you this much you need to seriously reevaluate priorities in your life.

I was actually embarrassed today that I have the Neogaf logo pinned on my smartphone screen. This place has devolved into the worst kind of fanaticism, where none of us can get accurate, measured information and discussion about the industry.

Stop it.

Yeah, pretty much this.

freddy

Banned

Stop it.

Why did you edit your tag link over a year later?

edit: Oh I see why now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6238109&postcount=237

KHarvey16

"The game is then locked to this user forever."

Is this actually true? Microsoft said this:

"There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once."

Could that not mean a person may not give a game they own more than once? That needs to be clarified.

EDIT

I see this is already a point of discussion.

jblank83

The only thing GAF needs to realize is that any given day BLOPS II has 500K+ players playing online on Xbox LIVE.

The system is going to sell, regardless of what GAF does or does not do.

No company and no product is so big it can't fail.

Money didn't make a success out of...

Windows 8
Zune
Bing
Internet Explorer
Windows Tablets

And consumers aren't as dumb as people would like to believe. Will Xbox sell? Yes, even N-Gage sold. Will it sell as well? That remains to be seen. The "core" market is influential and can shift the market away from a manufacture, a brand, and a product.

I would disagree with your first point. disagree if you want, it's dishonest, it doesn't say that there will be less competition and your games will get less credit. You're injecting your own economics into the situation with no evidence what so ever.

As for your second, you're right, but it seems unlikely. I'd be satisfied with a rewrite to that though.

For the third point, it seems pretty verbatim to what Microsoft's information stated. no, it doesn't. the writing is unclear. It says you can GIVE it and that game is locked to recieving friends account, there's nothing about them trading or selling that game afterwards. it only says that they can't re-gift the game. In fact what it does say is "Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, OR CONSUMERS for enabling transfer of these games. "

I think you could read between the lines about the game rentals, but point taken. there's no reading between the lines. It's unclear how DRM for rental games might exist.

Since it's alr1ght's image, I'll give him the opportunity to update it, and change the image if needed. I believe that just the facts should be presented, and I agree that some of the ambiguity could be cleared up. As mentioned earlier, I need to punch out for a bit, but I'll be back later. If alr1ght corrects the image, the OP should update itself.

Nizz

An important thread. Take a long hard look at that list. Give it a minute or two... let it sink in. Now, think back about how you could share games with buddies, rent, etc. Step outside of that box of which corporation you prefer and look at this list from the perspective of someone who just wants to pop in a game and play it with no bullshit involved. Remember popping in a game on the Atari 2600, NES, the Genesis? Hell, the XBOX? Yeah... I thought so.

I feel like this is overly dramatic. Being turned off by the Xbox One's peculiarities is one thing, but more or less trying to organize a boycott... with all the real issues worth railing against in the world...

watership

Man, I loved the first Xbox. KotOR, Otogi, Fable, Halo, Ninja Gaiden, The Chronicles of Riddick, Jade Empire... no bullshit, etc. Those days are long fucking gone.

I love games too. If only the Microsoft would change their plans and announce games for the console...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No company and no product is so big it can't fail.

Money didn't make a success out of...

Windows 8
Zune
Bing
Internet Explorer
Windows Tablets

And consumers aren't as dumb as people would like to believe. Will Xbox sell? Yes, even N-Gage sold. Will it sell as well? That remains to be seen. The "core" market is influential and can shift the market away from a manufacture, a brand, and a product.
Yeah.. In fact your list indicates how Microsoft, in particular, has had a long history of forcing their version of a future that never comes.

Moxx19

Banned
I feel like this is overly dramatic. Being turned off by the Xbox One's peculiarities is one thing, but more or less trying to organize a boycott... with all the real issues worth railing against in the world...

Yes, because god forbid consumers stand up for their rights. Oh wait, its just vidiya gaemz amirite?

Gartooth

We thought current gen was a bloodbath? Next gen is going to be MUCH worse. By chasing after the used game boogyman, consumers are going to be more conscious of their purchases.

Sure the big blockbusters and publishers such as EA and Ubi will be fine, but the smaller developers will suffer from word of mouth and this kind of sharing aspect.

RagnarokX

Maybe Apple wouldn't mind this being made into a real ad:

iiHIGBnjvT2af.gif

Yeah.. In fact your list indicates how Microsoft, in particular, has had a long history of forcing their version of a future that never comes.

It's funny, actually. Sony and MS both have this problem.

We thought current gen was a bloodbath? Next gen is going to be MUCH worse. By chasing after the used game boogyman, consumers are going to be more conscious of their purchases.

Sure the big blockbusters and publishers such as EA and Ubi will be fine, but the smaller developers will suffer from word of mouth and this kind of sharing aspect.

Indie PC scene is doing fine.

UberTag

Nash20
(Today, 11:41 PM)

10 posts. I refuse to believe this is just a coincidence anymore.
Even if I loved everything about the Xbox One, I wouldn't support the product just out of principle of having my intelligence insulted by an unleashed barrage of PR shills who can't even be bothered to disguise their intentions.

My sympathies go out to the mods because I have to imagine these guys have been paid to flood in non-stop for the indefinite future.

kingkitty

Xbox One is all my fears confirmed. I hope the spreading of the word is successful, I'm not too sure though.

The direction of Xbox One is completely bonkers. They should have just made the system digital dl only, since most of the advantages of having a game on disc have been nuked. And since it uses online drm, it's not like Microsoft is looking out for consumers who need to buy a disc because they can't use the internet.

blaah

Yes, because god forbid consumers stand up for their rights. Oh wait, its just vidiya gaemz amirite?

Exactly. This is infringing on consumer rights with no benefit to the consumer. It's worse than what we currently have and it violates my right of first sale. I don't care if it's video games or bubble gum, fuck violating my rights and fuck anyone who supports the company that does it.

Replicant

I'm posting this on my facebook, blog, and twitter. Hopefully my readership will spread the words out to other people that they know as well.

It kinda just is.

I dunno, clearly I'm not in the target demographic to "get" the righteous indignation going on about this. To me it's simple: you want it, buy it; you don't, then don't. MS can invent whatever kind of weirdo vision they want and consumers can either buy in to it or not... nobody's dying, gaming isn't being ruined, nobody's going to bring the industry to its knees. MS isn't violating anyone's "rights": they are setting terms and conditions, now it's your move.

Educating people about it, talking about it like grownups... okay, cool. Ranting like MS is Monsanto and actively trying to evangelize not buying a console with sketchy facts seems silly.

hwy_61

Banned
Exactly. This is I fringing on consumer rights with no benefit to the consumer. It's worse than what we currently have and it violates my right of first sale. I don't care if its video games or bubble gum, fuck violating my rights and fuck anyone who supports the company that does it.

515.jpg

sheamus

I knew it was coming but yet I'm still extremely disappointed at Microsoft. I have no words for this, burn them all

Nash20

Banned
Nash20
(Today, 11:41 PM)

10 posts. I refuse to believe this is just a coincidence anymore.

I see mods are gonna have to work overtime these days.

Even if I loved everything about the Xbox One, I wouldn't support the product just out of principle of having my intelligence insulted by an unleashed barrage of PR shills who can't even be bothered to disguise their intentions.

My sympathies go out to the mods because I have to imagine these guys have been paid to flood in non-stop for the indefinite future.

Why would anyone get paid to make 10 posts on a forum and be immediately banned, which apparently some of you are really rooting for/expecting. God forbid anyone offer a dissenting opinion.

Currently trying to tell a friend why this is a bad thing and how it's different from PC gaming. He said Xbox live sales were comparable to steam sales....

Chiggs

33 years-old, with a lot of disposable income. Hate to say it, but I cannot wait to *not* buy this system. Not a big fan of boycotts or stuff like that (many are misguided), but this is pretty lame.

As a consumer, my only real choice is to vote with my wallet. Your system sucks, Microsoft.

Irnbru

Lower income families shouldn't be buying $400+ video game boxes. $100-150 Wii/Xbox/PS3 should be where their money should go if at all.

And if it's a gift? They won it in a prize? What then? They get fucked over? What if a kid saved up all his money working that summer job? What then? This is bullshit, I work with that low income demographic, and these policies are shit for them more then for anyone else.

d1rtn4p

Posted on facebook; definitely won't be buying this. Now my eyes are looking to Sony, who hopefully won't mess up too. I cannot wait to see when MS's servers get flooded and people can't play any games for days/weeks at a time.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Why would anyone get paid to make 10 posts on a forum and be immediately banned, which apparently some of you are really rooting for. God forbid anyone offer a dissenting opinion.

Weird how you weren't about dissenting opinions a minute ago when you were on the "us normals" thing, huh?

Eric WK

Exactly. This is infringing on consumer rights with no benefit to the consumer. It's worse than what we currently have and it violates my right of first sale. I don't care if it's video games or bubble gum, fuck violating my rights and fuck anyone who supports the company that does it.

So if Sony has equivalent DRM (obviously excluding the 24 hour online check-in bullshit), you won't buy a PS4 either?

The most important problem is not noted: that Xbox One games, and the system itself, being service-dependent, almost certainly have an "expiration date" beyond which they will cease to function.

The only possible defense against this is to say we "don't know" that it's true, but until Microsoft says otherwise (and I don't mean PR, I mean a written guarantee in the EULA / Xbox Live service agreement stating DRM will be disabled when games or the system itself reach a certain age), it's virtually certain.

gohepcat

Banned
It kinda just is.

I dunno, clearly I'm not in the target demographic to "get" the righteous indignation going on about this. To me it's simple: you want it, buy it; you don't, then don't. MS can invent whatever kind of weirdo vision they want and consumers can either buy in to it or not... nobody's dying, gaming isn't being ruined, nobody's going to bring the industry to its knees. MS isn't violating anyone's "rights": they are setting terms and conditions, now it's your move.

Educating people about it, talking about it like grownups... okay, cool. Ranting like MS is Monsanto and actively trying to evangelize not buying a console with sketchy facts seems silly.

Be careful. That type of talk will get you labeled a Microsoft shill. Also...they will spell Microsoft M$ so you know they are serious.

Funny. I'm really looking forward to this fall. Both PS4 and Xbox One look cool. I have nothing bad to say about either. I'm saddened that WiiU is struggling. Glad that PC gaming is still doing well. Looking forward to The Last Of Us. Just generally very positive about things....then I come here and it's just caterwauling.

Gumbie

Stop it.

Truth bombs.

thumbs-up.gif

Top Bottom