• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - Help Spread the Word

And that's what this thread is about. Promoting the "features" of Xbox One, which should spur some to vote with their wallets.

And that's fine but using the argument that low income people can't afford it IMO is a bad one because if they are in such dire circumstances they probably shouldn't be buying it in the first place.

Which is why I said they should be looking into the cheaper last gen systems with a lower cost of entry, and tons of discounted games.

nib95

Banned
You can borrow a game off a friend for a day, and you can play your families games all you want if you're connected on the same xb1...

What of I want to borrow it for a while, what if I want to sell it privately via eBay or Gumtree, or buy it privately instead? What if I want to trade it at a place like CEX instead of GAME?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
And that's fine but using the argument that low income people can't afford it IMO is a bad one because if they are in such dire circumstances they probably shouldn't be buying it in the first place.

Which is why I said they should be looking into the cheaper last gen systems with a lower cost of entry, and tons of discounted games.
So you're raising the cost of gaming overnight, and then saying "I guess you can't afford gaming, too bad."

KazHeart.gif

Wow!! I hope Sony doesn't disappoint you. Some people seem to think that Sony is gold right now. You should wait until after E3 before you gloat. You may be disappointed.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
What of I want to borrow it for a while, what if I want to sell it privately via eBay or Gumtree, or buy it privately instead? What if I want to trade it at a place like CEX instead of GAME?

Car dealerships need licenses from the state (at least in CA)

lol, I understand what you're saying but the system is actually pretty similar.

jtb

Banned
who cares if people can't afford it? it's a luxury good! it's not microsoft's job to make something for the masses; if they want to make a video game console that ignores poor people, they're free to do so, right?

BocoDragon

who cares if people can't afford it? it's a luxury good! it's not microsoft's job to make something for the masses; if they want to make a video game console that ignores poor people, they're free to do so, right?
just get a second job to afford one, am I right?

Again, I offered others a chance to correct it. As is, it's a bulleted list of exactly what Microsoft presented. If you think it's in error, please submit to us your corrections.

Because my time is worth more and frankly for $400-$500, I could care less if it bombs as long as I get a few good games out of it for the Ms franchises I like.

None of the points listed bother me at all. I'm just happy to get all digital day 1.

PC pricing didn't happen naturally, it happened because Valve made it happen and set a precedent that many publishers STILL aren't entirely comfortable with. Without Valve, PC gaming would be marching down the same bad path it was on in the first half of the 00's.

Another huge part of PC pricing is Valve providing strong support to low- mid- and high-tier games in terms of launch price. Will Microsoft handle that as smartly? Or will the entire UI be ad space like their current 360 setup?

So far we have seen no sign that they'll go in this direction. I suggest waiting a bit and seeing how things play out.

Do you think that developers want to sell their games at 60 bucks all the time? If a game isn't selling, they would gladly sell it cheaper but the keep getting undercut by a company selling their wares at margins that they can only dream of.

I can't imagine that Microsoft isn't looking at a market leader like Valve without wanting to copy their delivery model. Because that's what Microsoft does. They are always second movers and they bring the weight of their successful products with them.

Just look at another contraversial addition to the Xbox One, Azure. Microsoft was a second mover into the market and to gain market share, they guaranteed clients that they would meet Amazon's prices.

Gamers have choices and this thread is a testiment to that, but expecting only the worst of every business move isn't realistic. None of us have seen the whole plan yet.

Shit, this product isn't yet released. Before Valve forced people on Steam, it was unthinkable that reducing customer's rights would save them money. People didn't see the benefit for them. That's where we are right now.

I completely agree with your last sentence though. I just think I am more optimistic than most.

jtb

Banned
just get a second job to afford one, am I right?

I can't afford a Mercedes, so I buy a Camry instead. I don't understand what's so bad about that. They're pricing people out of their product—perhaps even intentionally. So what?

It's a business strategy used by tons of companies. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

VegaNine

Wow!! I hope Sony doesn't disappoint you. Some people seem to think that Sony is gold right now. You should wait until after E3 before you gloat. You maybe disappointed.

Nah, I'm already convinced that Sony will do the same as MS. This was just some last minute fun. I have no interest in either box right now, and not for DRM reasons.

BocoDragon

Do you think that developers want to sell their games at 60 bucks all the time? If a game isn't selling, they would gladly sell it cheaper but the keep getting undercut by a company selling their wares at margins that they can only dream of.

I can't imagine that Microsoft isn't looking at a market leader like Valve without wanting to copy their delivery model. Because that's what Microsoft does. They are always second movers and they bring the weight of their successful products with them.

Just look at another contraversial addition to the Xbox One, Azure. Microsoft was a second mover into the market and to gain market share, they guaranteed clients that they would meet Amazon's prices.

Gamers have choices and this thread is a testiment to that, but expecting only the worst of every business move isn't realistic. None of us have seen the whole plan yet.

Shit, this product isn't yet released. Before Valve forced people on Steam, it was unthinkable that reducing customer's rights would save them money. People didn't see the benefit for them. That's where we are right now.
I think it's fair to look at steam and think "there will be more variable pricing".

But I am curious why I've never seen a Games on Demand game I ever thought was affordable.

Seems like the supply and demand of physical copies drops the prices faster than Microsoft is want to.

Oh I'm sure with the revenue gained from no used sales, they'll more readily drop the prices. Won't they? .....er....

So you're raising the cost of gaming overnight, and then saying "I guess you can't afford gaming, too bad."

It sucks but videogames are not a necessity so I personally wouldn't get worked up about a price of entry increase.

When I was in highschool I was able to go to the movies for $8 non matinee, now it's like $12.50 as a result I don't go as often, the same could happen here where consumers turn their back on the policies being implemented, but I'm not going to act like this hobby we all enjoy is a basic right that should be cheap and affordable for everyone.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Meh. As an xbox guy the Xbox One disappointed me due to specs, but the other stuff does not really bother me. I never trade games in, ever. I almost always have an internet connection, and if I don't its not the end of the world, if I can't browse google or play some games.

I mean, would I prefer it not have 24 hour online checks? Sure.

But I am not going to cause a stink over it.

I am still buying both consoles. PS4 definitely at launch, and a Xbox One also at launch if they have an impressive lineup at E3.

The PS4 is already my more preferred console (even though 360 was this gen) due to the hardware differences. But the Xbox One is still a very appealing device.

nib95

Banned
I can't afford a Mercedes, so I buy a Camry instead. I don't understand what's so bad about that. They're pricing people out of their product—perhaps even intentionally. So what?

It's a business strategy used by tons of companies. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I wouldn't call it pricing people out, that's what Sony did with $599. What Microsoft is doing is being anti consumer, removing consumer rights and offering consumers less value proposition than they previously had. Two very different things.

FroJay

Banned
I sell tons of games I'm done with on Amazon......god I hope Sony doesn't follow this crap. If Sony does the same I'm WiiU only this gen, and that pains me unbelievably.

Release a more powerful console Nintendo!

Saw three different people post this on facebook.

It's reaching a certain crowd for what it's worth. Two of them are mega dudebros who can't live without their cod for even a day.

Chill the fuck out, guys. If you're going to have such a hard-on for sleuthing, maybe start with his last several posts (prior to the 'incriminating' one) where he complains about Microsoft along with everyone else.

Eh, I made a post after and then deleted it, but, yeah, guy seems to be on the Microsoft hate train right now. I probably shouldn't have pulled out a thread from 2012 (especially because he sounded like he was bullshitting) but these are dark times. I don't know who to trust anymore. Definintely don't want a Salem 2.0 thing going on right now. Shit, my dad is from Salem. I would just say I'm very hesitant about certain members right now. I don't want a Reddit post-Boston Bombings witch hunt going on, but I'm on my guard right now. I've been through many a console launch before and my bullshit spidey senses over react sometimes.

Also that Braveheart GIF is amazing. "I thought Kaz was Japanese" LOL.

Fair play to Microsoft for finally coming clean. I can see why people have issues, but it's definitely not as bad as some suggest.

The ball is now in Sony's court, anyone who thinks they won't follow suit is naive.

I sell tons of games I'm done with on Amazon......god I hope Sony doesn't follow this crap. If Sony does the same I'm WiiU only this gen, and that pains me unbelievably.

Release a more powerful console Nintendo!

Deep down, I honestly think Sony is going to have a used game system that is similar to M$.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sad thing is it's even worse than the poster, potentially. The ability to engage in restricted trading and selling is at the discretion of pubs...for some games it may not even be there at all.

As for people arguing that the Xbox site already spells this out, that's true. But the site says a lot. Distilling down key points isn't a bad idea.

Stoffinator

They will all forget about it and justify it to themselves as they are standing in line buying that game they must have.

I see that happening too. Most will moan about it, but as soon as a game they love shows up on that platform, they will buy it. Gamers are weak. :p

I think it's fair to look at steam and think "there will be more variable pricing".

But I am curious why I've never seen a Games on Demand game I ever thought was affordable.

Seems like the supply and demand of physical copies drops the prices faster than Microsoft is want to.

Oh I'm sure with the revenue gained from no used sales, they'll more readily drop the prices. Won't they? .....er....

I believe that Microsoft has those high prices because the require retail partners to make their sales for them. I also believe that in order to sell in Walmart, you have to guarantee them the lowest price. So Microsoft was caught in a position where it had to sell games higher than the highest.

They also didn't have a system built from the ground up for online transactions. They were selling units without hard drives and I don't think those cost conscience mass market consumers would take kindly to Microsoft offering games at 85% off while they can't participate because their system didn't have what was nesessary.

I'm not sure how they get around Walmart. Maybe they will lower prices there to reflect the online sales. Not sure. But the second one is done. Everyone who buys an Xbox will be able to download games.

Whether you like to believe it or not, demand curves do exist, you get x sales at 60. When sales drop, you drop the price and sales pick up again. It works to a companies advantage in the long run. But as it stands they have to compete against a company which gets to sell their games cheaper than the price they set. That's hurting console developers in a time where revenues are generally up.

The only logical conclusion is that the markets without DRM are more risky than those with DRM. Currently, only one market is still DRM free. And is say that in the lightest way because a proprietary console is in itself a form of DRM.

I see Microsoft as a company that will happily shoot itself in the left foot to protect the right foot (no longer making Windows games even though that is their own OS or better yet bothering with the Kin launch with Windows Phone 7 right around the corner). If they put out a product that I like and want to use I'll go ahead and buy it but I have absolutely no reason to believe they won't pull some shenanigans with pricing or any number of other things with the Xbone.

Lots of internal squabbling, that's for sure.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Did this image originate on GAF? Just saw it on my front page of Reddit. Almost 3.5k upvotes, 5k comments.

Yes, by alr1ght here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=61826900&highlight=#post61826900

I posted a comment giving credit here: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comm...list_of_the_all_the_problems_with_the/caduzzr

It's amazing how much backlash, denial and obfuscating is going on in reddit. People just can't believe that these things are true. MS astroturf must be out in full force. That thread was at about 5.5k upvotes earlier.

I see that happening too. Most will moan about it, but as soon as a game they love shows up on that platform, they will buy it. Gamers are weak. :p

I know I am weak and that's why I am going to go ahead and get both systems regardless. I have a soft spot for owning game systems. I can't get mad because I know that I am going to be one of the first to preorder both systems. I can't help myself.

kevinski

Banned
Or maybe you could just ditch the heavily-biased poster and just provide people with a simple link so they can absorb the information without any positive details having been omitted.

We need to kill this before it becomes the standard, and we need your help! Let's harness the power of GAF, and save video games.

I'd argue it's far too late for this.

Still, I 100% support this and will continue to support this until MS drop the DRM, which, to be honest, is now incredibly unlikely. They've laid out their plans. It's done.

All eyes are on Sony now, let's hope they have some good news.

No, you also have to move to an area that has reliable internet connection. Your internet is not reliable? Why would you live there?

I'm not trying to be "that guy", but working for a few seconds every 24 hours doesn't exactly equal having to have reliable internet. With that said, 24 hours is still too low IMO.

I think the last point on the image is wrong. I think it's just saying the person can only give the game once, not that the new owner won't be able to have the same privilege of giving it once. I think it's a good idea to spread the word but let's be accurate in the message.

SKY IS FALLING!!!!

will still buy both consoles day one (call me part of the problem) I think it being connected is a good thing, I like the Kinect. I like DRM because I hate pirates and buy all my games legit, and understand how hard it is for companies when their products are stolen rather than purchased.

To each there own. Innovate/adapt/change or get left behind.

With ya. I just wish we could hold off on the picking a winner and loser for the gen 8 years from now until we, ya know, at least have confirmed feature sets and launch window titles of BOTH consoles about a week before they launch.

Next week will be fascinating. Can;t wait to see how Sony nails down all these questions in response, and I can;t wait to see the tone of each conference. And, of course the new IP games on both sides....

Mariolee

Easy way to spread the word:

Grandma: Hey, I'm thinking of getting Tommy a new Xbox One for Christmas. You know about videogames, what do you think?

You:
Do you eat shit?

Sean*O

Because my time is worth more and frankly for $400-$500, I could care less if it bombs as long as I get a few good games out of it for the Ms franchises I like.

None of the points listed bother me at all. I'm just happy to get all digital day 1.

Couldn't Care Less.

This is where the problem lies, apathetic peeps who just don't give a fuck for their fellow man. Not everyone has internet, endless cash, etc. Fuck them though, right?

jtb

Banned
Couldn't Care Less.

This is where the problem lies, apathetic peeps who just don't give a fuck for their fellow man. Not everyone has internet, endless cash, etc. Fuck them though, right?

welcome to the free market? I can't afford a diamond ring but I don't see you crying for me.

Top Bottom