• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - Help Spread the Word

scsa

At this point the hashtags shouldn't be #NoDRM and #XBoxDifference. It should just be #NoXBox.

We shouldn't be telling them "we're not okay with this particular thing, change it", but "we're not okay with your product. We're not okay with your philosophy. Go away." When a company goes this far, I wouldn't expect them to understand once and for all what we don't want. If we tell them "DRM is the one thing we don't like about your product", they'll somehow end up thinking "oh, I guess FOR NOW we'll abandon it, but we'll definitely push it again eventually." They'll never understand that we're never gonna accept it if we don't reject the philosophy AND the company. They'll always come back with slimier ideas and practices.

I have zero trust in Microsoft understanding the crux of the issue here.

Sir, it's over and done with. Only one thing matters now and that is sales. Unless and until their sales are hit, these guys will never understand.

I second that idea of #noxbox , its just the common average consumer should know about all these things , before buying the box, to deter them from adding +1 to their sales.

TylerD

You know you guys don't have to buy the thing right? I can understand the reactions of confusion and lol-ing, but Anger?
Dont buy the thing, Im sure alot won't. That "spreads the word" more than any actual words will.

The anger is somewhat justified. Maybe they did want to buy Xbone and were looking forward to it before this information was known? Gaming is obviously a passion for many on this forum so why wouldn't they be upset if there are features of a new console that are deemed so awful that they didn't want to spend their dollars to support it thus limiting what they are going to play and experience with the next generation.

I decided a long time a go that I was going to be done with gaming but I still really enjoy following the industry and I feel for all you guys that are IMO rightly angry about the direction console gaming is headed. There may be some nostalgia of systems past (My first experience was NES) and being able to take a game over to a friends house or have someone bring one over, trading games back and forth and the like.

The proliferation of DLC, and what I saw as industry staleness were the main reasons I became disenchanted with gaming and this just continues that trend.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The only thing GAF needs to realize is that any given day BLOPS II has 500K+ players playing online on Xbox LIVE.

The system is going to sell, regardless of what GAF does or does not do.

Yes because momentum carries over from one generation to the next guaranteed.

graywolf323

Its funny you say that because I see the same stance with some people in politics. Thats why my country is in the state it is.

If lots of people dont give a fuck of shitty politics I can understand why people also done give a fuck in some maligned policies on a luxury product.

Sometimes I think we are no more intelligent than sheeps.

no wonder the dolphins laugh at us >_> :p

Dr Dogg

You know what if Microsoft just came out and said "Look the Xbox One is going to be online only and you won't be able to sell you games. We're sorry but that's the direction we're going in." I'd be fine with it, I wouldn't buy it but at least they would be up front and honest about the situation. It's either an online console or it isn't. It either plays used games or it doesn't. No if's no but's just make it plain and simple and not the convoluted mess it sounds like it's shaping up to be.

All these half measures are just moronic. It doesn't require an online connection but you will need an internet connection at least once every 24 hours on your own console and every hour on a friends is just pointless. If you're going to need that you may as well make it online only.

It's designed to allowed the sale and trade of games but only through retailers who can afford the infrastructure, training and logistics of our systems. If out of the myriad of possible methods of you recouping some of the investment you have made in a new game are cut by a large amount, maybe even impossible in your local area or country why bother. They have pretty much resigned themselves to the disc just being a transport method now anyway. Instead of having to wait for something to download, especially for people with slow broadband speeds, just enter the serial and install from the disc which is it's only use.

If used games are now such a problem why has no one bothered to ask the question why do used games exist in the first place. Surely to become a used game it first has to be a new game? It's not like someone has downloaded a copy of it without paying or made a copy of a friends disc. So possibilities are that someone has rung every last bit of enjoyment of a game, blindly bought a game that was broken and was unplayable, bought a game on a whim and didn't like it, a newer version or update recently came out or to fund a purchase of a sequel to the said title they are now selling. This is not to mention gifting said games let alone letting others borrow them.

Surely the onus should be on publishers and to that extent developers to be adding value to titles to at least have some sort of retention. Sadly as we have seen over this generation instead of adding value to their titles the majority of the time it has been taken away. What with stripped content for dlc, disc locked content and a model of yearly iterations games have become commodities. We are fast approaching a reality where unlike something that can be exchanged and traded games are becoming something that after you have had your use it will expire.

Sony's silence and non committal on some pertinent questions isn't exactly enlightening either. I fear dark times are ahead.

a sad day to make a sad future. please humans who refuse to believe, change heart. dont give in to these policies. think of our children. do you want them to own anything?

You know you guys don't have to buy the thing right? I can understand the reactions of confusion and lol-ing, but Anger?
Dont buy the thing, Im sure alot won't. That "spreads the word" more than any actual words will.

The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free - is how the saying goes right? Microsoft, Sony, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, hate competition. They want to hold all the cards. By telling people not to "overreact", you are in-effect hoping they restrict their exercise of freedom. Perhaps we really aren't as free as we think or hope we are, but we will only find out by doing the maximum we can to resist having our rights rewritten before our eyes.

So by all means, I hope GAF does even more as a community than the amazing job I've seen so far.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Saying nothing and doing nothing just drives whatever point you want to make straight the hell home.

Being vocal about it is just... Messy and uncouth.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Will be printing up some copies (I can make copies,right? :D) of the image in the OP and dropping them off at some gaming stores, maybe leave some laying around at the foodcourts and the like.

Neo C.

I'm sure "not buying the thing AND spreading the word" is even better than just "not buying the thing".

Toki767

You know what if Microsoft just came out and said "Look the Xbox One is going to be online only and you won't be able to sell you games. We're sorry but that's the direction we're going in." I'd be fine with it, I wouldn't buy it but at least they would be up front and honest about the situation. It's either an online console or it isn't. It either plays used games or it doesn't. No if's no but's just make it plain and simple and not the convoluted mess it sounds like it's shaping up to be.

I still wouldn't buy it, but I'd at least respect them more.

Vashetti

Banned
Just imagine all the returns with the excuse "the games quit playing all of the sudden", because they never hooked it up to the internet, or don't have online. Just imagine not being able to return opened games, because you don't have internet.

tumblr_ly9ttkOvI21qdfyd9o1_500.gif

AxeMan

If you don't like it don't buy it.

You won't be able to change their minds and if you do they'll gradually bring in the changes they want regardless.

If you want to send a message you need to give your money to companies that aren't doing what MS are

spirity

why is no one doing this for STEAM?

I don't get the Steam comparisons.

I open up Steam and the first thing I see is Civ 5, play for free all weekend. Then 75% off if you choose to keep it. Saints Row 3, 75% off. Marvel Heroes, free to play. Skyrim on sale, Borderlands on sale, Rome Total War on sale. Grid 2 on sale. Everythings on sale. 2350 games under £7. 1465 games under £4. Offers offers offers. Free shit, free shit, free shit. Huge back catalog. I haven't even mentioned the Steam workshop, with a bunch of user created content.

Where on Xbox is the above? Point it out to me. Show me the comparison.

Problem is will eb/gamespot and retailers tell their customers upon purchase about all of what's going on? I'm guessing no as they'll lose a sale. I don't expect major retailers such as Kmart and target to know anyway.

Lynd7

This is something I haven't even considered yet but it's true, I wonder if we will actually own anything on this system.

We won't.. Some are hoping M$ will unlock the online check after the generation is over, but, come on, we know that probably won't happen.

UberTag

We're planning on doing both.
We won't buy it.
And we're going to make damn sure anyone that WANTS to buy it knows EXACTLY what the system stands for, how it will impact the industry at large and how it will limit them.

Namely no rentals, no loaning games, connecting online once a day, potentially being shut down if the network goes offline, third-parties able to refuse trade-ins, used games as a whole depreciating in value, Kinect always being connected and potentially being hacked or datamined and a "family sharing system" that will inevitably wind up being needlessly complex and have a zillion hoops to jump through.

I would rather every game being priced new and locked in at $100 for the first 6 months. THAT would be a better solution than what they've introduced here.

THIS IS NOTHING LIKE STEAM.
THIS IS NOTHING LIKE $1 GAMES ON A SMARTPHONE.
STOP INSULTING ME AND INSULTING OTHERS AND SAYING THAT XBOX ONE IS LIKE THESE THINGS.
IT IS NOT!

Only way to spread the word so Microsoft understands how stupid this is, is for them to have the worst console launch in history. But, I'm afraid they've got publishers on their side which means more exclusives which in turn means my dumb ass buying the XB1.

My gaming addiction is too strong to make a stand and not buy the system....I'm sorry :(
If you truly have a gaming addiction, you have a giant backlog built up.
You have a gaming PC. You have current gen platforms. You have portable game systems. You have a tablet. You have a smartphone.
You do NOT need to buy an Xbox One or a PlayStation 4 until you have PLAYED EVERY GAME YOU HAVE EVER WANTED TO PLAY on ALL OF THESE OTHER SYSTEMS... AND... they're no longer supported.

Only way to spread the word so Microsoft understands how stupid this is, is for them to have the worst console launch in history. But, I'm afraid they've got publishers on their side which means more exclusives which in turn means my dumb ass buying the XB1.

My gaming addiction is too strong to make a stand and not buy the system....I'm sorry :(

We won't.. Some are hoping M$ will unlock the online check after the generation is over, but, come on, we know that probably won't happen.

I think they will leave it on for quite a while, I mean it would be one hell of a shit show if they basically turned off an era in gaming history.

Imagine if no one could play Halo or any other xbox game ever again, haha even now that shit would not stand.

My concern is waaaaaay down the line when we have entirely new technologies and these servers really don't need to be on, its a concern that all collectors should share and I doubt it's a concern Microsoft will address.

If you don't like it don't buy it.

You won't be able to change their minds and if you do they'll gradually bring in the changes they want regardless.

If you want to send a message you need to give your money to companies that aren't doing what MS are

I personally don't understand why there doing this. To me they got lucky with the 360. I never liked the original Xbox always preferred the PS2 but went in with the 360 as the PS3 wasn't out and got delayed . I intended to stay on Playstation and trade my 360 for the PS3 but enjoyed the service and loved Gears of War so kept it and predominantly I play 90/10 split n favour of my 360. I am getting both consoles day one but this is seriously gonna dent any future purchases for Myself in favour of the Xbox One.

Not only is the system underpowered compared to the PS4 it has some serious obstacles In Your way before you can play a game. I dread to think what the intital set up of the system will be now. You ll be inputting email addresses and info for ages .

Drachma

Banned
I am appalled by the posters pushing for us to either "Fall in line or GTFO" over this issue.

So I just have to accept I'm not going to be able to keep playing Xbox games because I don't think as little of my consumer rights as you do? Yeah no, I think I'd much rather keep pushing for some positive changes on this so that I MIGHT have a chance of actually getting to play Xbone games rather than just shrug it off and try my best to ignore them.

Lynd7

I am appalled by the posters pushing for us to either "Fall in line or GTFO" over this issue.

So I just have to accept I'm not going to be able to keep playing Xbox games because I don't think as little of my consumer rights as you do? Yeah no, I think I'd much rather keep pushing for some positive changes on this so that I MIGHT have a chance of actually getting to play Xbone games rather than just shrug it off and try my best to ignore them.

Yeah, no one should be ok with this.. Makes me mad.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I believe the "selling games freely" bullet in the image in the OP might not be accurate.

The OP says that games can only be sold to friends who've been on your friends list for 30 days, can only be sold once, and after that is locked to them. While the current wording on the xbox site is that a game can be given to a friend; to me, this wording sounds more like a disc based game can be shared freely (dependent on publisher) to one friend (as long as they've been your friend for 30 days) once per game disc. It's still not clear on the process of selling games to friends, likely it won't be possible; your friends will just have to purchase a full version.

Walshicus

If you really care about this as a rights issue then fine. Power to you and most people here would respect your commitment to that ideal. But pretty much every time someone points out that Steam or a similar service has even more draconian rules regarding re-sell rights, the argument is that "oh they sometimes have good sales so it doesn't matter". At which point it's obvious it's not a rights issue for them and it is in fact a matter of perceived and predicted value.

Which is equally valid. But people just need to pick a fucking argument rather than have the cognitive dissonance to argue from both when they're mutually exclusive.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Well, I've let most of my video game interested friends know about the Xbox One's less desirable practices, and I've been spreading the word here and there online.

Start spreading the news!

I am leaving today!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
If you really care about this as a rights issue then fine. Power to you and most people here would respect your commitment to that ideal. But pretty much every time someone points out that Steam or a similar service has even more draconian rules regarding re-sell rights, the argument is that "oh they sometimes have good sales so it doesn't matter". At which point it's obvious it's not a rights issue for them and it is in fact a matter of perceived and predicted value.

Which is equally valid. But people just need to pick a fucking argument rather than have the cognitive dissonance to argue from both when they're mutually exclusive.

To be fair, Steam was always a digital only service so you never own a piece of physical media. I don't see people shitting themselves over Microsoft not allowing us to resell digital copies. but they are muscling in on used disc game sales and allowing only to give it away to someone who has been on your friends list for 30 days.

also, steams pricing is FAR better for what you get.

Hana-Bi

So what happens to people who are okay with this. Who just want to play games and love the games the X1 offers?

Are they an enemy for the rest of the "gaming world"? Should the next step then be to forcefully try to convert them?

Vagabundo

I was doing it this morning before I seen the thread to a Xbox fan. He was surprised to say the least. None of the xbox magazines he reads have been informing him.

Top Bottom