• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - Help Spread the Word

Zabant

I'm sick of all the misdirection and "But steam is worse"

NOT EVERYONE USES STEAM. Stop assuming so.

Vagabundo

Anyway it's not Steam. Steam is one of the delivery methods for the windows/PC platform. There are loads of competitors in the digital realm, some with no DRM whatsoever. There are physical discs etc.

The value for money and competition on the PC is great.

If you wish to avoid Steam on the PC you can. Can we say the same if you buy on the Xboner?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It'll be interesting to see how many gamers against all of this will get weak knees and cave the second Microsoft announces some third party exclusive at E3.

For me no game is worth wearing the Microsoft shackles.

Omni

Anyway it's not Steam. Steam is one of the delivery methods for the windows/PC platform. There are loads of competitors in the digital realm, some with no DRM whatsoever. There are physical discs etc.

The value for money and competition on the PC is great.

If you wish to avoid Steam on the PC you can. Can we say the same if you buy on the Xboner?

Well obviously if you were looking to avoid DRM you wouldn't buy the Xbox. Just like if you were looking to avoid DRM on PC you wouldn't download Steam.

Red-Shift

Neo Member
Totally support the OP and trying my best to educate as many people as I can!

But lets be honest, the masses probably won't care and 99% of them will do this when greeted by the XBL ToS on launch day!

r2yShPb.gif

Bowler

This. This is the key point for me.

I agree as well, here is a list of just 360 games with closed servers: Will you lose access to these games, or is our monthly xbox live sub going to keep these servers up next gen for YEARS:

2006 FIFA World Cup
-2010 FIFA World Cup

A:
-All-Pro Football 2008

-America's Army: True Soldiers

-Apples To Apples

-Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?

-Army of Two
-Army of Two (EU)
-Army of Two (JP)

B:
-Battlefield 2: Modern Combat

C:
-Chromehounds

-Colin McRae: DiRT 2 DiRT net is down.
-Colin McRae: DiRT 2 (PC) DiRT net is down.

-College Hoops 2K6
-College Hoops 2K7
-College Hoops 2K8

-Crackdown 2: Project Sunburst

-Create

D:
-Def Jam Rapstar
-Def Jam: Icon

E:
-EA Sports Active 2
-EA Sports MMA

F:
-FaceBreaker

-Family Game Night

-FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup
-FIFA 07
-FIFA 08
-FIFA 09
-FIFA 10
-FIFA 11
-FIFA Street 3

-Fight Night Round 3

-Frontlines: Fuel of War

G:
-GH Tunes for all Guitar Hero games are questionable at best.

H:
-

I:
-

J:
-

K:
-

L:
-Live Draft Tracker
-Live Score Tracker

-Lord of the Rings: Conquest
-Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth 2

-Lucha Fury

M:
-Madden 2006
-Madden 2007
-Madden 2008
-Madden 2009
-Madden 2010
-Madden 2011

-Major League Baseball 2K6
-Major League Baseball 2K7
-Major League Baseball 2K8
-Major League Baseball 2K9
-Major League Baseball 2K10

N:
-NASCAR 08
-NASCAR 08 (EU)
-NASCAR 09
-NASCAR 09 (EU)

-NBA 2K6
-NBA 2K7
-NBA 2K8
-NBA 2K9
-NBA 2K10
-NBA 2K10:Draft Combine
-NBA 2K11
-NBA 2K12

-NBA Jam

-NBA Live 06
-NBA Live 07
-NBA Live 08
-NBA Live 09
-NBA Live 10

-NBA Street Homecourt
-NCAA Basketball 09
-NCAA Basketball 10

-NCAA Football 07
-NCAA Football 08
-NCAA Football 09
-NCAA Football 10
-NCAA Football 11

-NCAA March Madness 07
-NCAA March Madness 08

-Need for Speed: Most Wanted
-Need for Speed: Pro Street

-NFL Head Coach 09

-NFL Tour

-NHL 07
-NHL 08
-NHL 09
-NHL 10
-NHL 11

-NHL 2K6
-NHL 2K7
-NHL 2K8
-NHL 2K9
-NHL 2K10

O:
-

P:
-Phantasy Star Universe

-Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PES 2008)
-Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 US (PES 2008 US)
-Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (PES 2009)
-Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 US (PES 2009 US)
-Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 (PES 2010)
-Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 US (PES 2010 US)

-PGR 3 - Currently the servers are still active, although Gotham TV is gone making an achievement unobtainable.

-Pure Futbol

Q:
-

R:
-

S:
-Section 8

-Skate

-Spare Parts

-Star Wars: Battle for Hoth

T:
-Test Drive Unlimited

-The BIGS

-The Godfather
-The Godfather II

-The Saboteur

-The Simpsons

-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11

-Top Spin 2

U:
-UEFA Champions League 2006-2007
-UEFA Euro 2008

-UFC Undisputed 3

V:
-

W:
-WWE All Stars

X:
-

Y:
-Yoostar on MTV
-Yoostar 2: In The Movies

moka

Fat cats at Microsoft think this is a great idea. Haha. Feel sorry for their rural customers without a reliable Internet connection.

moai

i'm all for this campaign, this type of restrictions and app focus sound horrible for people in small countries like myself.
on the other hand i can't help to notice many sony fans pushing their own agendas on the internet with the crash and burn of the xbone.
mixed feelings.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
This. None of these restrictions bother me.

I'm in a slightly different camp in that they bother me, but they don't affect me as I buy digital only if an where possible. I just don't like the greed.

this will not stop me from buying to play the new hallo though.

abunai

I don't understand the steam comparisons. Steam is not PC gaming as a whole. If you don't like it, go buy a disc version or from another online retailer.

I don't like the rise of steamworks-only games, but thankfully they are not incredibly numerous. It removes the choice from PC gaming. The platform where the #1 selling point for me, is freedom to choose.

There will not be such choices on XB1.

Walshicus

To be fair, Steam was always a digital only service so you never own a piece of physical media. I don't see people shitting themselves over Microsoft not allowing us to resell digital copies. but they are muscling in on used disc game sales and allowing only to give it away to someone who has been on your friends list for 30 days.

also, steams pricing is FAR better for what you get.

I've bought pleanty of discs from retail that contain steam games.

Steam pricing is good *some of the time*. I like it. I use it.

But if you're arguing from that point then you're not really concerned about the "rights" aspect of this, you're concerned about the "value" aspect. You can't say something is abhorrent and anti-consumer when really you (well, not necessarily *you*) only actually care about the value you're getting. If you think unrestricted trade-ins are a right (which is a valid point of view) then argue for that and don't expose a double standard by letting it slide on platforms that sometimes have good sales.

I will fully support anyone who wants to argue for cheaper Xbox One games as a result of the shift to digital (and all games on XB1 are digital - the disc is now just a medium of convenience).

moka

i'm all for this campaign, this type of restrictions and app focus sound horrible for people in small countries like myself.
on the other hand i can't help to notice many sony fans pushing their own agendas on the internet with the crash and burn of the xbone.
mixed feelings.

Yeah, did they just completely forget that not EVERYONE who gets the Xbox has a) an Internet connection b) a reliable Internet connection c) wants to connect to the Internet. All these restrictions are draconian.

Vagabundo

Well obviously if you were looking to avoid DRM you wouldn't buy the Xbox. Just like if you were looking to avoid DRM on PC you wouldn't download Steam.

My point was about the openness of the platform. PC is open, lots of options.

XBone is closed, so there is a trade off, historically this has meant that you can trade in games, lent and rent them.

MS has decided to go to an all digital, licence the games, future. And that's something to shout about.

You may not care, many won't, but there are lots of us who do and see harm in it. It's a power grab, shifting the balance too much toward the publishers and particularly MS.

eastmen

Banned
To be fair, Steam was always a digital only service so you never own a piece of physical media. I don't see people shitting themselves over Microsoft not allowing us to resell digital copies. but they are muscling in on used disc game sales and allowing only to give it away to someone who has been on your friends list for 30 days.

also, steams pricing is FAR better for what you get.

The xbox one has also allways had these polices .

Look the whole market is moving to this. Music is already there , movies / tv are all streaming now and its just going to move more and more towards that.

Steam pricing is great , I've been on it almost a decade but at the end of the day there is nothing stoping the devs from doing the same thing on the xbox one. Infact they will have better numbers than ever before to let them know when to drop prices.

I don't see why?

Sony have already confirmed the PS4 doesn't require an internet connection, all Sony published games can be traded/bought used. The PS eye isn't mandatory, etc.

if the vast majority of published games still need it though then it's really not so different.

this could provoke a video-game crash and hurt the industry big time.

If people fewer people buy consoles out of outrage = fewer games will be sold.

Let's hope Sony does not follow MS on this route, because if they do = we will see an industry crash

I agree as well, here is a list of just 360 games with closed servers: Will you lose access to these games, or is our monthly xbox live sub going to keep these servers up next gen for YEARS:

The list is slightly disingenuous.

Those games can still be played, just not online against other people. And the vast majority are old sports games. Old sports games get notoriously little to no play online a year or two after release.

I want to know what Microsoft's plan is in a doomsday scenario. Does it have a switch it can flip to permanently activate games in the case it leaves the gaming busines?

The other stuff doesn't bother me. My 360 is always online now and I'm approaching the ONE as if it's online only.

PBY

Banned
I already thought the #nodrm stuff was pushing it... And now am I the only one thinks the idea of this thread is just embarrassing?

Like seriously, if you feel so strongly just dont buy it.

PBY

Banned
I am definitely boycotting this and spreading the word in person, on facebook and on twitter. It's frustrating because I was so hyped for this but then all the awful rumours came true. Sad times.

I'm 100% on board for any boycott. We'll cross this bridge with Sony as well if they go down this road.

Microsoft has now come out in the open and stood behind what we all feared. There's no confusion left but in the tiniest nuances of this story: they are gunning for us as consumers, and it's either we stop it now or this industry radically changes into something not worth saving (if it even survives at all anyway).

If this not worth a boycott, absolutely no bit of game news would ever warrant such. If this is not worth a boycott, then we might as well all just go home and allow any business to take advantage of us simply because we don't want to put in the effort to push back. If this is not worth a boycott, then we never really loved games in the first place and this hobby of ours needs to go down in flames anyway.

I say, if this is not worth a boycott, then nothing in this industry ever would be.
I dunno... I read stuff like this and all I feel is slight embarrassment. I get that you care- but why do you feel the need to prostheletize and campaign against a piece of plastic? If people like the games they'll buy it, if not not.

Yeah, did they just completely forget that not EVERYONE who gets the Xbox has a) an Internet connection b) a reliable Internet connection c) wants to connect to the Internet. All these restrictions are draconian.

To play devils advocate, people without reliable internet or who don't want to connect their game console to the Web should NOT buy a console whose feature set relies on the Internet.

Don't buy a car if you don't have a road to drive it on.

LeBoef

@op
Yeah great idea.The masses usualy really dont know shit. And while spreading the word about this very important case, we could teach them about some lesser things right away too.
Like:
- dont beat your children
- dont drink and drive
- dont kill human beings (or animals?)

Omni

My point was about the openness of the platform. PC is open, lots of options.

XBone is closed, so there is a trade off, historically this has meant that you can trade in games, lent and rent them.

MS has decided to go to an all digital, licence the games, future. And that's something to shout about.

You may not care, many won't, but there are lots of us who do and see harm in it. It's a power grab, shifting the balance too much toward the publishers and particularly MS.

And my point was simply that you're looking at it too closely. When I think of gaming, I think of consoles and PCs
and handheld I guess
. Obviously PCs have different options for buying, downloading and have different policies for DRM. Consoles by nature are closed off, but there is more than the one type of console. So if you don't like the policies implemented by Console manufacturer 1, then simply buy Console number 2. Or switch to PC.

I understand why people are displeased with this, but absolutely nothing is stopping people from buying the PS4 instead.

I dunno... I read stuff like this and all I feel is slight embarrassment. I get that you care- but why do you feel the need to prostheletize and campaign against a piece of plastic? If people like the games they'll buy it, if not not.

So you're arguing that people shouldn't be educated that the way they buy/sell/trade games is going to change drastically with this console?

Question, the last two points. Are those confirmed? Where was it mentioned that games will be locked to the person who buys it forever and where was it mentioned that they then can't sell it on if they so choose?

I only ask because if it's wrong (and from what I understand reading the various threads, it might be), it kinda brings the whole message into question and makes it seem kneejerk and misinformed

wildfire

Banned
Question, the last two points. Are those confirmed? Where was it mentioned that games will be locked to the person who buys it forever and where was it mentioned that they then can't sell it on if they so choose?

I only ask because if it's wrong (and from what I understand reading the various threads, it might be), it kinda brings the whole message into question and makes it seem kneejerk and misinformed

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

I was curious about this as well and simply followed the link provided at the bottom of the picture.

So...I'm gonna post this again, because I think I bring up valid points about the industry, but it's also a wall of text. Last time I post it, I promise. Sorry if it's frowned upon, I can remove it if so.

Frankly, the industry has backed itself into a corner with poor practices, lack of elasticity, and an absence of focus. Unfortunately, this has been pushed over to us, the consumer. We are now expected to bite the bullet, to pick up the slack for Publishers, so they can continue to do what they do: All of the wrong things. Used game sales aren't the problem. Piracy isn't the problem. If Dead Space 3 needed to sell 5 million copies to break even / justify it's existence as a franchise, then no amount of cutting used sales or removing piracy was going to make that game wildly successful, nor was it going to increase the profit margins for it. EA, you did it wrong. "AAA" games are the problem. Frankly, we need MORE b-tier titles at $19.99-$39.99. Those titles have small budgets, small expectations, and bigger profit margins (as those price ranges hit a wider audience). We need less investment into super bowl ads, prime time commercials, or UFC ring space. We're in an age of always connected devices. Hulu, Amazon, Google, even the consoles themselves...the advertising spaces are there, where gamers see them. We need to break our relationships with the enthusiast press. Stop coddling them, and stop letting them hold you by the balls. You want to remove the problems with metacritic? Start putting together better (and more) demos that show off your product in new and meaningful ways. Don't sell us on trailers with cheesy rock / dubstep tracks and quick cuts of what your game looks like, let us REALLY see the game.

It's a nice evaluation of the industry you tried to make but your solutions shows either a lack of awareness of how this industry got to where it is today or an unwillingness to offer actual solutions.

B-tier games that can support a staff of 50-100 people died off a decade ago. Maybe Far Cry Blood Dragon is the first game in a long time to do that but their team size is unknown and there isn't any sign of other smaller games being made.
Low budget b-tier games only work for small studios (so small that an IT department isn't required to help support their day to day needs)

What publishers should do is similar to the movie industry where they have a stable of indie studios competing against each other for budget allotment while making movies.
The difference here is that the studios are under such a large umbrella can get the the IT support these large entities prefer to work with and the small companies couldn't afford individually.

Demos have been demonstrated over the years to lower sales which impacts the industry as a whole. It would be nice to tell them to make better games but this approach is just a non-starter unless games sold on Ouya sell extremely well in spite of every game having some type of demo.

PBY

Banned
So you're arguing that people shouldn't be educated that the way they buy/sell/trade games is going to change drastically with this console?
MS just was open about the system. I don't like it, but why is it on you to educate? And is educating about consoles really a high priority?

statham

So what happens to people who are okay with this. Who just want to play games and love the games the X1 offers?

Are they an enemy for the rest of the "gaming world"? Should the next step then be to forcefully try to convert them?

I really want to see one of my facebook friends try to convert me.

Kolgar

video-game crash of 2014

That's what I think, too. When game consoles lose that plug-and-play ease of use they've enjoyed since... forever... there will be little reason for people to choose them over tablets, phones, or anything else that comes along.

Sure, the few of us who understand the beauty of buttons will moan and gnash our teeth. But console gaming as we know it will be dead.

I cannot support this console device, laced as it is with anti-consumer "features." I now have to hope against hope that PS4 will be different, but I won't support that machine either if Sony makes equally bad choices.

WiiU and PC for me. As people have said, Steam is digital by nature, it plays games offline, it offers crazy-good sales, and I feel that my game library is relatively secure--certainly more secure than if Microsoft had its hand at the switch.

Vagabundo

And my point was simply that you're looking at it too closely. When I think of gaming, I think of consoles and PCs
and handheld I guess
. Obviously PCs have different options for buying, downloading and have different policies for DRM. Consoles by nature are closed off, but there is more than the one type of console. So if you don't like the policies implemented by Console manufacturer 1, then simply buy Console number 2. Or switch to PC.

I understand why people are displeased with this, but absolutely nothing is stopping people from buying the PS4 instead.

Oh I agree. People should vote with their feet and get a PS4 or Wii U instead, if they want a console, or Vita/3DS, or come to PC-Land where they rivers flow with honey and ambrosia falls from the skies. I hope they will.

But I fear they won't

Freki

The essence of why the world devolves to shit. Weather its about the economy, enviroment, taking care of the poor/needy. Its always lies with those dont give a F.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
I know this has lots of pathos in it but it is the essence of todays problems.

Video Games are not the most important issues on the planet that's right - but consumer rights as a whole are important.

Speaking as someone who stood outside during a really cold and wet December week in 2002 and handed leaflets to people telling they were being ripped off by mercenary companies charging too much for video games as part of the Fairplay Campaign, Then returning home and seeing torrents of abuse headed towards the campaign online because people would rather stand up for the companies instead of consumers (And some really appalling stuff like "Poor people shouldn't be playing videogames if they can't afford them". It was disgusting in some parts). There's mild karma and schadenfreude watching people go insane about this since they ignored concerns about the industry taking a mile when you gave them an inch for years and suddenly when they don't like it, they start revolting about it, even though they had the chance years ago to stamp down on this shit. I'm not a fan but really, it's the industry that was built because the core consumers were happy to go along with things as long as they got games and people should be looking to why it got to this stage instead of just blaming things in going on now and working towards reversing the changes back from where we are know by looking to the past.

I'm sorry, but I just don't really have sympathy for core gaming consumers until they start backing the industry down on everything and start understanding that gaming doesn't affect the few on NeoGAF but everyone and campaigns should be inclusive of every potential customer. Not just hardcore gamers. And acknowledging that the core consumer has been ignorant and must change to be smarter and more effective customers instead of people who want the latest games ASAP that they are willing to concede rights is one way to start.

It needs to be a smarter campaign than a vitriol spouting Hashtag we hate Xbone campaign. And it has to be for every customer, from the COD and Fifa bros, to the casual player who wants Kinect, to the core gamers.

Top Bottom