• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One June Preview Update - My Real Name is External Storage

RdN

Just heard my Xbox turning on, so I guess it must be downloading/installing the update. Can't wait to hook up my HDD.

mike4001_

Has anyone compared loading times ?

Internal HDD vs. External 2,5" or 3,5" HDD

Especially 3,5" Should be way faster than the internal 2,5".

Maybe someone can stop loading times vom start to first logo or something and compare :)

Prine

Banned
Not voice commands as far as I can tell, but instead of just sending a power toggle , it sends the correct on or off signal.

So you can't turn your TV off if it is on when your Xbox turns on or vice versa

Holy shit!! This is extremely important for me lol, I used to turn everything on via the Xbox, which meant switching my tv off so it can be turned on via Xbox . Awesome!!

Auto sign in works the same way as it did on 360?

New Store looks nice too, gives them ample room to start promoting new content that's on the store.

Gonna buy an external drive for my XBOne. My body is ready.

Probably won't by another XBOne game until Sunset Overdrive, but yeah.

Caayn

Update was rather slow for me and the storefront was still the old design till I power cycled once. The actual stores are still the same old design, it's just the store tab that is updated with a new design.

Edit:
CoD Ghost now shows up twice in ny games list. And wasn't Xbox fitness under apps in the previous dashboard version?.
Auto sign in works the same way as it did on 360?

New Store looks nice too, gives them ample room to start promoting new content that's on the store.
Jup, select the account for auto sign-in and you're good to go.
Got it (UK).

Now to find auto sign in, wish the boot to TV was I this update
Settings > Preferences. > Auto sign-in

Yeah it didn't take long to find.

Zoo Tycoon showing in my library is still there, wonder when that one will get addressed.

As far as I know there is only one solution for that, it's not a good one though.
Restore factory settings, I'm sure one of my friends sorted his out by doing that.
Factory reset does delete everything from you xbox so you have to redownload and reinstall stuff. All your saves are in the cloud though.

For those of your that don't have it just go to Settings--->System----> Bottom left option to pull update.

Also the auto sign in didn't work for me until I went to Settings--->sign-in & security, to turn off Kinect sign in.

DO these previews lock you out of playing multiplayer with people not in the preview still? I'm fairly certain I had issues with that on the 360, where my brother didn't have the preview and we couldn't play online together.

DO these previews lock you out of playing multiplayer with people not in the preview still? I'm fairly certain I had issues with that on the 360, where my brother didn't have the preview and we couldn't play online together.

Only two ever have. Both due to party chat (on X360 added it, on XONE changed it).

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Restricting pins is a little annoying. Can't seem to remove the 'Where are the rest?' pin either.

Auto-login isn't working for me even after some hard reboots. Also I go through the setup of formatting my 4TB External HDD but nothing happens.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
All sorted now. Had to do another hard reboot.

Well loading times seem much faster from the external HDD.

I will do some recordings now from both internal + external and time them. I'll try some offline installations as well.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Categories should be first.
I think putting categories vertical list first would break the transition between the home and store tiles. It also keeps in line with the 'snap list on right' style the OS uses.

Haven't check my XB1 yet (I'n based in the UK) but I did get the email regarding the update a few days ago.
All sorted now. Had to do another hard reboot.

Well loading times seem much faster from the external HDD.

I will do some recordings now from both internal + external and time them. I'll try some offline installations as well.
Really, that's interesting. Will be picking up at least a 2TB external in the next month so this is good news, look forward to seeing your results.

mike4001_

@ All who are waiting for the Update.

They are rolling it out in 2 waves again. If you did not get it you are not in wave 1

Give it a day or so until the start the second wave.

Ade

Restricting pins is a little annoying. Can't seem to remove the 'Where are the rest?' pin either.

Auto-login isn't working for me even after some hard reboots. Also I go through the setup of formatting my 4TB External HDD but nothing happens.

It goes when you're under the pin limit

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Ok I'm going to test the following games.
  1. Assassins Creed IV
  2. Ryse
  3. Call of Duty: Ghosts
  4. FIFA 14
  5. MGS: Ground Zeroes
  6. Battlefield 4
  7. Dead Rising 3

I will uninstall them all then re-install to the internal drive and time it. Once done I will load up a specific part of the game and also time the loading screen. After I've done them all I'll uninstall from the internal then select the external as the priority HDD and repeat the above.

So far I've done FIFA and starting the game up from the external did seem quite abit quicker going through the menus. I wouldn't say super fast but maybe a good 4-5 seconds knocked off on a fresh startup of the game to the main menu.

I won't bother with the videos since its too much messing around so I'll just copy the results here instead. If people do want video I will do it only if they aren't happy with the numbers I show.

audeh64r8

Banned
How do you get this update preview thingy?
If its by invite my GT Is: audeh64R8
Thank you :) it would be cool to experience this update :)

mike4001_

I will uninstall them all then re-install to the internal drive and time it. Once done I will load up a specific part of the game and also time the loading screen. After I've done them all I'll uninstall from the internal then select the external as the priority HDD and repeat the above.

So far I've done FIFA and starting the game up from the external did seem quite abit quicker going through the menus. I wouldn't say super fast but maybe a good 4-5 seconds knocked off on a fresh startup of the game to the main menu.

I won't bother with the videos since its too much messing around so I'll just copy the results here instead. If people do want video I will do it only if they aren't happy with the numbers I show.

Great, thanks for the work in advace :)

Hope you post some measured times with your stop watch then.

Please also let us know which external drive (2,5 or 3,5") you are using !

Ok I'm going to test the following games.
  1. Assassins Creed IV
  2. Ryse
  3. Call of Duty: Ghosts
  4. FIFA 14
  5. MGS: Ground Zeroes
  6. Battlefield 4
  7. Dead Rising 3

Hard drives tend to get slower the fuller they get. Was your internal drive nearly full?

derfybzh

France here, updated during the night nothing to do.
I just ordered my external harddrive can't wait to try I have to desinstall NBA2k to donwload Wolfenstein.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Ok here is FIFA and MGS:GZ. I did these first due to being 10GB titles. Next games will be the ones which are 30-45GB in size and will take longer to install. I'm more interested to see how the likes of Ryse, BF4 and AC4 do with being larger sizes when it comes to loading the levels.

This is the HDD I'm testing but this is for work so won't be keeping it for the XB1. http://www.ebuyer.com/339426-hgst-4tb-touro-dx3-desktop-hard-drive-0s03400

I will be buying a Western Digital My Book so I may do new tests later in the week.

http://www.ebuyer.com/614107-wd-4tb-my-book-desktop-hard-drive-black-wdbfjk0040hbk-uesn

INSTALL & LOADING TIMES
Internal
  • FIFA 14 - 10:37:13
  • MGS:GZ - 05:54:29
External
  • FIFA 14 - 10:29:18
  • MGS:GZ - 05:52:10
LOADING TIMES
Internal
  • FIFA 14 - 00:41:12 - Start to Menu
  • MGS:GZ - 00:39:24 - Start to Menu
  • MGS:GZ - 00:28:10 - MIssion Loading
External
  • FIFA 14 - 00:38:10 - Start to Menu
  • MGS:GZ - 00:37:00 - Start to Menu
  • MGS:GZ - 00:26:05 - Mission Loading

Hard drives tend to get slower the fuller they get. Was your internal drive nearly full?

I've emptied it so both drives have nothing on them.

Top Bottom