• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Kinect and Gameplay Video (UI stuff)

Skeff

Microsoft releases a great looking video of the Xbox One OS/UI in action with Kinect, and almost immediately there's a rumor attacking that aspect of the system. It's not really a major surprise that something like this was brewing, because the UI/OS for this system has always looked and sounded particularly impressive.

You've never seen the Xbox OS, this is fake, the titanfall footage is from Gamescom and is still the PC build.

https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan

You still haven't seen the UI/OS except in that youtube one with the kid.

Krilekk

Banned
Do people like you ever not attempt to exaggerate or blow things out of proportion just to have another apocalyptic doomsday story you can run into the ground regarding the system? Seriously, does it make any sense for people to go out of their way, with what seems like every other day now, to scare people about the prospect of buying an Xbox One? Is this what it has really come to? Scaring people? I especially find it a riot how innocent people try to act, almost as if they're somehow conflicted about what they're doing. Listen, people aren't stupid. Some will love this kind of crap, and eat it right up, but then others will see it for what it truly is. It looks opportunistic and petty. Some people just want to see a disaster, a trainwreck in the making, and will do whatever, say whatever they can to contribute to that cause. It may sound harsh, but that's what I see.

Microsoft releases a great looking video of the Xbox One OS/UI in action with Kinect, and almost immediately there's a rumor attacking that aspect of the system. It's not really a major surprise that something like this was brewing, because the UI/OS for this system has always looked and sounded particularly impressive. This video only served to help drive that point home. And with perfect timing something specifically designed to target it and tear it down is released, and nobody is going to say to themselves, "Now wait just a minute here. Doesn't this all seem a little too convenient?" Xbox One reveal: the OS and the way it worked was one of the most amazing things shown. The response? It was all fake, doesn't exist. Not real. It's vaporware. it's all a smoke and mirrors campaign. Or, even if they do, it doesn't work as nicely as shown. Family Sharing aspect of previous xbox one policy sounds pretty cool, many people like it, one of the few bright spots nobody could attack? Oh, wait, random online post out of nowhere from a no doubt fake MS employee claiming it was a demo, which it absolutely was not, and people eat it up, because it feeds right into that nothing at all could possibly be good about the xbox one narrative.

Microsoft may have some issues at launch, but is that really suppose to be a shock to anyone? People, people, people. We had "insiders" on here claiming that the fact that the Xbox One even attempts to run games in 1080p at all would send the OS crashing and failing. I mean, I'm sorry, but if that doesn't send your bullshit detector flying off the charts, then something has gone seriously wrong. Microsoft, as we all know from time to time, can be incompetent enough as it is on their own. They don't need extra help in the form of absolutely bogus and boneheaded falsehoods designed to scare the living shit out of people who may be, for their own reasons, interested in, or already committed to picking up the system.

The Xbox Live team does amazing work, and has consistently done amazing work now for years. Their track record is an excellent one, even if there have been some bumps in the road along the way. Does anyone seriously believe that if there are any serious issues with the basic functions of the system, Microsoft will fail to fix them as quickly as possible? This is what they've done now for years. People call themselves gamers and yet are bizarrely celebrating at the prospect that a platform they don't like could fail, and it's pitiful. it really is. When are people going to start rooting for a healthy and competitive industry rather than rooting for failure, which may satisfy your most selfish desires, but is ultimately not good for anybody?

And, yes, as rare as it may be, there are times when I absolutely don't defend them. There are just times when I think the silliness takes center stage.

Best and most thoughtful post I've read here since April. Thank you.

Do people like you ever not attempt to exaggerate or blow things out of proportion just to have another apocalyptic doomsday story you can run into the ground regarding the system? Seriously, does it make any sense for people to go out of their way, with what seems like every other day now, to scare people about the prospect of buying an Xbox One? Is this what it has really come to? Scaring people? I especially find it a riot how innocent people try to act, almost as if they're somehow conflicted about what they're doing. Listen, people aren't stupid. Some will love this kind of crap, and eat it right up, but then others will see it for what it truly is. It looks opportunistic and petty. Some people just want to see a disaster, a trainwreck in the making, and will do whatever, say whatever they can to contribute to that cause. It may sound harsh, but that's what I see.

Microsoft releases a great looking video of the Xbox One OS/UI in action with Kinect, and almost immediately there's a rumor attacking that aspect of the system. It's not really a major surprise that something like this was brewing, because the UI/OS for this system has always looked and sounded particularly impressive. This video only served to help drive that point home. And with perfect timing something specifically designed to target it and tear it down is released, and nobody is going to say to themselves, "Now wait just a minute here. Doesn't this all seem a little too convenient?" Xbox One reveal: the OS and the way it worked was one of the most amazing things shown. The response? It was all fake, doesn't exist. Not real. It's vaporware. it's all a smoke and mirrors campaign. Or, even if they do, it doesn't work as nicely as shown. Family Sharing aspect of previous xbox one policy sounds pretty cool, many people like it, one of the few bright spots nobody could attack? Oh, wait, random online post out of nowhere from a no doubt fake MS employee claiming it was a demo, which it absolutely was not, and people eat it up, because it feeds right into that nothing at all could possibly be good about the xbox one narrative.

Microsoft may have some issues at launch, but is that really suppose to be a shock to anyone? People, people, people. We had "insiders" on here claiming that the fact that the Xbox One even attempts to run games in 1080p at all would send the OS crashing and failing. I mean, I'm sorry, but if that doesn't send your bullshit detector flying off the charts, then something has gone seriously wrong. Microsoft, as we all know from time to time, can be incompetent enough as it is on their own. They don't need extra help in the form of absolutely bogus and boneheaded falsehoods designed to scare the living shit out of people who may be, for their own reasons, interested in, or already committed to picking up the system.

The Xbox Live team does amazing work, and has consistently done amazing work now for years. Their track record is an excellent one, even if there have been some bumps in the road along the way. Does anyone seriously believe that if there are any serious issues with the basic functions of the system, Microsoft will fail to fix them as quickly as possible? This is what they've done now for years. People call themselves gamers and yet are bizarrely celebrating at the prospect that a platform they don't like could fail, and it's pitiful. it really is. When are people going to start rooting for a healthy and competitive industry rather than rooting for failure, which may satisfy your most selfish desires, but is ultimately not good for anybody?

And, yes, as rare as it may be, there are times when I absolutely don't defend them. There are just times when I think the silliness takes center stage.

Good post.

Hanmik

Microsoft may have some issues at launch, but is that really suppose to be a shock to anyone? People, people, people. We had "insiders" on here claiming that the fact that the Xbox One even attempts to run games in 1080p at all would send the OS crashing and failing. I mean, I'm sorry, but if that doesn't send your bullshit detector flying off the charts, then something has gone seriously wrong. .

see this I want linked... because that´s just YOU (and others) misinterpreting a post..

EGM1966

Looks pretty good but until I see it for real I reckon that's been edited down for speed - it's just too fast to be believable for me at this point.

Hanmik

still no link to

We had "insiders" on here claiming that the fact that the Xbox One even attempts to run games in 1080p at all would send the OS crashing and failing

if you can post stuff like that it should be easy to back up with a link.. or what?

kevlar35

Banned
still no link to

if you can post stuff like that it should be easy to back up with a link.. or what?

The guys posts a reasoned and well thought out piece and all you can do is drag out one sentence and try to discredit the whole thing with it. Why not address the substance of what he said instead of trying to deflect and distract?

Or do you need a link for that too?

Hanmik

The guys posts a reasoned and well thought out piece and all you can do is drag out one sentence and try to discredit the whole thing with it. Why not address the substance of what he said instead of trying to deflect and distract?

Or do you need a link for that too?

nope.. but if he makes statements like that he should back them up.. I´m not trying to discredit him at all.. I just want to know where he found that particular thing,..

still no link to

We had "insiders" on here claiming that the fact that the Xbox One even attempts to run games in 1080p at all would send the OS crashing and failing

Here.
Someone was pointing these out to me in the other thread.

I am saying 720p would be a mere annoyance compared to frequent crashes and broken Live matchmaking.
Given the choice between

720p COD

and

Xbox One OS that crashes / hangs once per user session. Flaky ass multi-player.

I think 720p COD is the lesser of the two evils.

LAA

Looked sort of good this, but I just cant believe it works that flawlessly. I also find it hard to believe just by saying "Titanfall" it knows what it is, it must have to be updated or something so it knows when you say a game name to boot that game (Or I'm overthinking it)

The most cool thing on this is how you can multi-task when you're in the middle of a game to record something and then share it. I just wonder though... it'd be much easier if it just had a dedicated button for this, like a record button or something, just push it again to stop.

The snap thing is something I'm becoming more and more interested in too, at first I thought it was just for stuff like skype, TV, why I would want to be doing them in the middle of a game I dont understand, but stuff like that machinima snap app, that was the neatest use I've seen for it so far. Sort of hope PS4 will have a similar thing, or at the very least make it so its very quick to switch between apps.

applause-gif-3.gif

You two are fucking nuts, It's a concept video, even Ryan from IGN pointed that out, it uses old Titanfall footage.

Not to mention the rest of it is just a huge pile of bullhit PR and attacking GAF insiders.

None of what you said detracts from the core point of his post.

oVerde

Banned
You've never seen the Xbox OS, this is fake, the titanfall footage is from Gamescom and is still the PC build.

https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan

You still haven't seen the UI/OS except in that youtube one with the kid.

How in the blue hell could you watch that and not immediately know it was a fake video.

Microsoft released a concept video. excuse me if i don't cream myself.

You two are fucking nuts, It's a concept video, even Ryan from IGN pointed that out, it uses old Titanfall footage.

Not to mention the rest of it is just a huge pile of bullhit PR and attacking GAF insiders.
Every time someone post something like this a cute bunny dies.

No shit it's a mock up video, Sherlock.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Every one knows that this is a mock up video, like apple showing off facetime etc. its not going to be THAT smooth in practice, but it is still impressive stuff.

I hope the ps4's is close to this, as thats the only console I am getting

Akira

SenjutsuSage, I'm going to infer from your emphatic post above that you've heard from your 1st party connection that everything is rosy on the OS/XBL side and that every OS rumor exploding here and on Twitter are "complete falsehoods designed to scare away potential Xbox customers" right?

Who to believe: SenjutsuSage who has championed and defended the Xbox One as much as Penello/Major Nelson or several insiders with proven track records?

There is no reason to have confidence in Microsoft at the moment. Do you ever not defend them?

I work with their tools all the time, and their dev and server tools work really well. I've a lot of confidence in what they can do and the ability of the people coding for them.

I do believe that they could have issues though and am keen to find out more now.

saladine1

Wow, nice post.

Krilekk

Banned

The fact that it's a concept video (which I too complained about in this thread) has nothing to do with the content of his post. It's no attack, it's a very calm description of the status quo.

mancan92

Banned
I used it yesterday at a event in game store and I had a cheaky play with the ui and it was easily that rapid. I was very surprised.

Some of us see reality, instead of just PR videos.

iMax

handclap.gif

Some people are just overly salty and grabbing at straws whenever they can. Can't blame them, though — when you're behind the competition for eight years, that's gonna happen.

A lot of people on here don't seem to realise that if Microsoft does a bad job, Sony does a worse job. Competition is good for the industry. It keeps competitors on their toes and ensures innovation prevails against laziness.

VaizardNL

Banned
I have to agree with SenjutsuSage to some point.

Yes this video is obviously a mockup, you can see it by the material that is being shown and by his typing. I furthermore also don't believe that the voice commands will be shown this quickly after speaking the words (count me impressed and ashamed if they actually do).

The part that I really agree with is that, in my opinion, it is too clear that a negative smearing campaign always comes the day (or same day) after Bad news from Sony or Good impressions from MS. It might be a very big coincidence, but sometimes it just seems as obvious as part of this video being not realtime.

mancan92

Banned
nice,.,.. I didn´t know people were allowed to use the UI..?

what did you try to do with the UI..?

Just skip in and out of ryse, go to different pages, settings, apps etc. I dont think I was ment to but no one was around so thought Id try it out quickly.

Senjutu Sage has a point to an extent.

The buildup to next gen has been like watching Formula 1: it's kind of interesting but its hella entertaining when someone crashes and explodes into a fireball.

But why is there only one driver in the race we're happy to see crash over and over?

You could argue Microsoft deserve it: they made their bed with the DRM stuff and Nu Ads and this is almost kharma. You could argue there's generally not a lot of warmth for Microsoft here, they have a reputation for greed and that people resent them as a newcomer compared to Sony and Nintendo. Some would argue that, while the Wii sold most, and PS3 has now sold just more than 360, 360 won the generation with the impact they've had. And it could be further argued that the "dudebro shooter" flourished under 360's reign, so Microsoft and the Xbox team are seen as a harmful influence on the industry.

Those are things that come to my mind as possible explanations:

Why is it fun when Microsoft fucks up but not when Sony does it?

handclap.gif

Some people are just overly salty and grabbing at straws whenever they can. Can't blame them, though — when you're behind the competition for eight years, that's gonna happen.

A lot of people on here don't seem to realise that if Microsoft does a bad job, Sony does a worse job. Competition is good for the industry. It keeps competitors on their toes and ensures innovation prevails against laziness.

And what has Sony did worst? I'm not apart of the percentage of people he is talking about in that post that I agree with but your post is just completely utterly wrong. What Sony does is what Sony does. What Microsoft does it what Microsoft does. Sony didn't lie about their system before the event, Microsoft did. Sony didn't do worst there. Sony is now charging for Multi-player which is just Multi-player... Microsoft is still ripping people off. Sony was a target of a major hack all because of something that a small percentage of users uses, shuts down the network... Apologies, has to take the shame face first, and what do they do for their customers? Give them free games, free identity protection for a year and grants them access for a full year to PS+.. Microsoft gets hacked and you get nothing. Not even a sorry or even thrown a little MS points for the inconvenience... Sony with a poor credit rating still had money and the dedication to pump out massive exclusives that can't be seen on a Microsoft console... Microsoft has all that money and rather throw it at timed dlc than new exclusive...

Stop the bullshit. Sony isn't the problem here but people are. People are the one making these statements that does not represent Sony but don't make it seem like they didn't work their ass off to have the reputation they lost in the last 7 years... It so happened Microsoft is in the same position and they are going to have to fight just like Sony against the same shit that happened 7 years ago. Please..

aronmayo2

Banned

Best post in months. Somebody finally calling out the Xbox One bashing campaign.

Senjutu Sage has a point to an extent.

Why is it fun when Microsoft fucks up but not when Sony does it?

It isn't fun when Microsoft messes up, it's just finally there is a reason to call out Microsoft for all the bullshit they came into the industry with that has always been given a pass because it was the popular kid. When Sony fucked up, it was coming off their high in the pS2 age it took the goggles to come off to see that. That was something they couldn't ignore because blatantly put, they were being cocky and really thought people were really stupid enough to put up with years of the BS. It then became a national (literally) sport to trash the Playstation name. Trash PSN, trash the price, boycott Sony, etc...

The tables have turned and nothing different is happening than what happened before. It's not fun but it's better to be rational than to be blinded. Enough is enough sometimes...

See, this is a great argument, but it is flawed. You could just as easily argue that the day that this rumor dropped (and remember, this rumor has been in the works for a few days now according to famousmortimer), Microsoft releases this video of the OS and Kinect Functionality, and it looks as speedy and fluid as possible. Just because the Video came first, that doesn't mean it may not have been released to fight this rumor that was on the horizon, brewing.

However, personally, I dont think there is some big conspiracy either way, but you simply cannot argue it one way as a coincidence without considering the other.

30 days, or I think 60 if you were already a PS+ member.

It must have extended my year and what not but still, that was a good gesture at the same time to the people that were affected by the hack as well as the identity protection. Your not getting that from XBL.. They don't even offer that in your package or as something you can sub to on the side in case that were to happen.

Dunlop

Great post

I'm hitting the point where I almost want the xb1 to fail miserably so people can see what a one console future would be without a competitor to keep them in check

Mr Moose

It must have extended my year and what not but still, that was a good gesture at the same time to the people that were affected by the hack as well as the identity protection. Your not getting that from XBL.. They don't even offer that in your package or as something you can sub to on the side in case that were to happen.

Hell yeah, I loved the two free games I got (and I got to test out PS+, and have now since been a member of the PS+ gang lol, it's an awesome service)
I got Infamous and WipeOut HD ^_^

Top Bottom