• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Kinect and Gameplay Video (UI stuff)

DoomGyver

According to someone who has been working with the UI for months... the video is bullshit. Not even close to those speeds.

Not that you needed a dev to tell you that video is fake. Much like Sony's video.

Water is wet. I'd like to see a real time video on Nov 22nd.

Bgamer90

Banned
I really like the design of the interface.

It obviously won't be that fast/smooth -- the video was to more so show what people can do with the features within the dashboard. Guessing it will eventually be used for a TV ad.

Anyway, looking forward to messing around with the features in a few weeks.

Caayn

No, just that people who actually thought that was real needed to be brought back down from the dream world.
1260528522_itcrowd-facepalm.gif

Yeah, this thread is overrun by people who think that this video is real.

Tsundere

Banned
So what do you think will take longer when it's real?

Aside from the video upload.

The speech recognition will be slower -- the animations will not be as smooth -- the transitions won't be as smooth -- the overall experience will be much slower than what was portrayed in the video.

Bsigg12

The speech recognition will be slower -- the animations will not be as smooth -- the transitions won't be as smooth -- the overall experience will be much slower than what was portrayed in the video.

3gb of RAM and 10% of the GPU have me thinking otherwise.

mazillion

I love how the titianfall (download?) becomes ready and somehow he immediately switches to the middle of an 'online match.' Not even remotely believable. but I want to see how an actual switch would look...

jem0208

I can understand why the speech recognition would be slower, but why do you think the animations and transitions would be slower?

danwarb

Why would the animations not be as smooth, are they really that smooth in the video?

The transition from dashboard to game and back is pretty quick in this video, It keeps running in the dashboard tile.

UNCMark

Banned
I can understand why the speech recognition would be slower, but why do you think the animations and transitions would be slower?

Why do you believe his nonsense that speech recognition would be slower? Do any of you use voice search? It's faster than what was shown in that ad.

According to a second person... who saw my post. What I said is what they are seeing as well.

So that's two. If you believe me.

And that still has shit-all to do with the purpose of that ad.

3gb of RAM and 10% of the GPU have me thinking otherwise.

You know what, I agree in a way.

If an Intel Atom Baytrail tablet can insta switch between apps and multi task between them like it does, I'm willing to bet that a damn console with much higher specs can do it too. Even if it doesn't do it now, I'm sure it could and should at some point.

Launching into games and stuff will obviously be slower unless you're resuming (I assume, we did see that "MS employees kid" video where the kid was able to jump in and out Ryse very swiftly), but I have no problem believing that the console is capable of doing the equivalent of what Atom powered tablets are capable of in terms of apps, multi-tasking and UI.

jem0208

Why do you believe his nonsense that speech recognition would be slower? Do any of you use voice search? It's faster than what was shown in that ad.

To be fair, the voice controls in the video were almost instantaneous. I'm not expecting them to be slow by any means, just not as fast they were shown.

I'm done watching this UI stuff until the systems come out and I can see what kind of experience people outside of marketing departments can have.

Tsundere

Banned
joke post?
No, go back and read all those posts about "how smooth", "so fast!" were posted.
Why would the animations not be as smooth, are they really that smooth in the video?

The transition from dashboard to game and back is pretty quick in this video, It keeps running in the dashboard tile.

The cutscene? In a later video we saw the UI chugged and slowed down considerably. And another gaffer who had hands-on time with it too said that exact same thing happened to them when transitioning from Forza to the dashboard.

UNCMark

Banned
To be fair, the voice controls in the video were almost instantaneous. I'm not expecting them to be slow by any means, just not as fast they were shown.

If it's on par with google voice search, that was slow in comparison. I question whether MS is capable of replicating Google voice search though. At least until proven otherwise.

hold on this thread is going way too fast for me. The UI looked great, now people are saying its edited? can someone summarize this thread up to now?

Salex_

And that still has shit-all to do with the purpose of that ad.

The purpose of the ad shouldn't make it look like the real world performance is as fast as that. Did you enjoy that Kinect star wars demo at E3 that was clearly fake? People who saw that and missed the part where the character moved before the guy would have believed that it was actually 1:1.

Bsigg12

No I don't. And yes, they will.

It's launch so it's expected really. Both companies have set a real high bar for what they want out of the OS/UI so seeing things like Suspend/Resume and no uploading outside of Xbox Live not make it to launch are reasonable. Both will improve tremendously through the first year.

m23

They are old dev kits, issues are to be expected on those. I played it with some friends yesterday at a Best Buy, the console was having problems there as well. We just have to hope the retail console doesn't perform like that.

-PXG-

They are old dev kits, issues are to be expected on those. I played it with some friends yesterday at a Best Buy, the console was having problems there as well. We just have to hope the retail console doesn't perform like that.

What if this was what CBOAT was alluding to.

Boke1879

He did. PS Blog really dropping the ball. Much like they did pre-vita launch. They barely mentioned the thing until a week before it was out.

If they are dropping the ball then someone higher up needs to have them on a timetable. This is pretty much the only thing we don't know about.

danwarb

The cutscene? In a later video we saw the UI chugged and slowed down considerably. And another gaffer who had hands-on time with it too said that exact same thing happened to them when transitioning from Forza to the dashboard.
This is the beta dash though and I'm still not seeing how the video in the OP is so terribly misleading. You can clearly pop in and out of games like that.

We are expecting menu slowdown now. I'm sure MS can get the tiles to move left and right smoothly enough for launch.

Top Bottom