• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Kinect and Gameplay Video (UI stuff)

Tsundere

Banned
This is the beta dash though and I'm still not seeing how the video in the OP is so terribly misleading. You can clearly pop in and out of games like that.

We are expecting menu slowdown now. I sure MS can get the tiles to move left and right smoothly enough for launch.

It hasn't been fully demonstrated in a real-world environment. Insiders are all saying to expect bugs and crashes from the UI.

Iacobellis

If they are dropping the ball then someone higher up needs to have them on a timetable. This is pretty much the only thing we don't know about.

I'd rather be given a timeframe for the HDCP removal, background, Bluetooth via chat, and Suspend mode updates than a UI tour.

UI walkthroughs can be done by ourselves on launch day, or seen across dozens of videos on YouTube.

Boke1879

I'd rather be given a timeframe for the HDCP removal, background, Bluetooth via chat, and Suspend mode updates than a UI tour.

UI walkthroughs can be done by ourselves on launch day, or seen across dozens of videos on YouTube.

I agree. I just want to see what the finished product COULD look like.

You are right though. HDCP, bluetooth and Suspend mode are MUCH more important.

-PXG-

Shit... The framerate in that Crimson Dragon video was definitely SEGA Saturn level.

CBOAT and bish hinted that the 720p stuff is only the beginning. Could you imagine the shit storm on launch day if people's games randomly crashed to the dash board, had insane load times and ran at like 15-20 fps too? GAF would go nuclear.

It hasn't been fully demonstrated in a real-world environment. Insiders are all saying to expect bugs and crashes from the UI.

Bugs and crashes aren't the equivalent of non-existent/impossible functionality.

Bugs and crashes in brand new software releases aren't something only an insider would know to expect either.

Iacobellis

That is that crimson dragon game people have been talking about? Holeeeey shit that looks terrible.

Have you seen LocoCycle?

loco3-1024x576.jpg

UNCMark

Banned
CBOAT and bish hinted that the 720p stuff is only the beginning. Could you imagine the shit storm on launch day if people's games randomly crashed to the dash board, had insane load times and ran at like 15-20 fps too? GAF would go nuclear.

We've seen enough Crimson Dragon footage (live demos on Twitch) to know it never runs like that normally. I would assume that drop in framerate precedes the crashes that Proelyte hinted at long before Cboat did.

SPDIF

hold on this thread is going way too fast for me. The UI looked great, now people are saying its edited? can someone summarize this thread up to now?

Yes it's edited. Just like any video of any OS created in the past decade, the screens were simulated.

The purpose of the ad shouldn't make it look like the real world performance is as fast as that. Did you enjoy that Kinect star wars demo at E3 that was clearly fake? People who saw that and missed the part where the character moved before the guy would have believed that it was actually 1:1.

You could argue that they shouldn't be doing that, but of course that's what the purpose of the video was. And they can easily do that, as long as they put a disclaimer somewhere. You can't have watched a product video from either MS, Sony, Google, Apple, Samsung etc.. over the past few years and only now come to the realisation that they're almost always simulated in some way? It's standard practice.

Tsundere

Banned
Bugs and crashes aren't the equivalent of non-existent functionality.
I never said anything about non-existent functionality. Where did you read that?
There'll be bugs, fewer at launch. None of that looks impossible though.
I take what we've seen of it running for real, over an advertisement any day. If you prefer to believe an advertisement over real world demonstrations, well... good for you?

Because it's a thread about an ad, which is an ad about the functionality/UI and not the speed perhaps?

Wait a minute, isn't speed one of the most important factors when accessing the functionality of a user interface? It's very important, that's why they simulated the speed, to make it look more attractive since speed of the OS's functionality means a lot to many people.

UNCMark

Banned
Wait a minute, isn't speed one of the most important factors when accessing the functionality of a user interface? It's very important, that's why they simulated the speed, to make it look more attractive since speed of the OS's functionality means a lot to many people.

I assume you mean assessing. And sure, if their goal was to show off the speed of their UI they wouldn't have to give you a "simulated" disclaimer. They'd actually have to show you. Speed is essential in an advertisement when your goal is to show off as much functionality as possible.

danwarb

I take what we've seen of it running for real, over an advertisement any day. If you prefer to believe an advertisement over real world demonstrations, well... good for you?
Nope. I'm expecting fewer bugs than the in beta dashboard at launch.

-PXG-

We've seen enough Crimson Dragon footage (live demos on Twitch) to know it never runs like that normally. I would assume that drop in framerate precedes the crashes that Proelyte hinted at long before Cboat did.

That's still not good.

aronmayo2

Banned
Just for comparison's sake:

Lol. That PS4 UI is a mess. It is FAR, FAR too busy. Too many different styles going on and the image in the background makes reading different navigation items difficult. When the Xbox uses full screen background images they generally place the UI on flat blocks of colour so that you can actually read it from 3+ metres away - Sony just expects people to read fine text (which is far too small btw) with crazy detailed imagery sitting underneath it.

E92 M3

I feel bad for all of the hard working engineers at MS that are getting trampled on by the suits. It's unfortunate that the Xbox brand doesn't have an exec that can act as a protective conduit for the gamers - basically another Allard. I just hope they recover and don't give up on consoles.

This ad seemed like a target demo that would not be achievable and is presented to a board room for the purpose of showing what it could be and not what it is.

vilmer_

I feel bad for all of the hard working engineers at MS that are getting trampled on by the suits. It's unfortunate that the Xbox brand doesn't have an exec that can act as a protective conduit for the gamers - basically another Allard. I just hope they recover and don't give up on consoles.

This ad seemed like a target demo that would not be achievable and is presented to a board room for the purpose of showing what it could be and not what it is.

It's very unfortunate. RROD aside, the 360 was an amazing gaming machine.

Mr.Speedy

Banned
Lol. That PS4 UI is a mess. It is FAR, FAR too busy. Too many different styles going on and the image in the background makes reading different navigation items difficult. When the Xbox uses full screen background images they generally place the UI on flat blocks of colour so that you can actually read it from 3+ metres away - Sony just expects people to read fine text (which is far too small btw) with crazy detailed imagery sitting underneath it.

Be that as it may, I would rather have a busy somewhat unattractive UI that functions well instead of a sleek clean UI that crashes.

Prine

Banned
Looks great - people seems to be as slow as Wii U OS on here. This is a representation of the functionality available, the gamer speaking out "Pacific RIm" is to demo you can be anywhere and say that. Him flicking though everything is again to show whats available via Kinect/UI within a short amount of time, do you need a disclaimer for something this obvious?

Cant believe i have to spell that out, lord have mercy.

E92 M3

It's very unfortunate. RROD aside, the 360 was an amazing gaming machine.

Yes, exactly why I am sad about the dreadful state of the Xbone. The 360 was and still is my primary game console. It's right up there with the PS2 and the Dreamcast.

viveks86

I assume you mean assessing. And sure, if their goal was to show off the speed of their UI they wouldn't have to give you a "simulated" disclaimer. They'd actually have to show you. Speed is essential in an advertisement when your goal is to show off as much functionality as possible.

This! I'm okay if an advertisement isn't how it works in reality. The advertisement is meant to convey the idea and it does that in spades.

Does everyone complaining in this thread complain about the burger you get at McDonalds because it doesn't look exactly as advertised? You read the fine print, take it with a grain of salt, temper your expectations and enjoy what you get, right?

If the UI is a mess in reality, that's a different issue that deserves criticism, not the ad itself. Most ads in the world suffer from this problem, and we can either wag our fingers till the cows come home, or take the essence of what they are trying to communicate and move on.

Mr.Speedy

Banned
Didn't see this posted yet, Xbox One crashing at London event. There's a few seconds of the debug/beta startup OS. According to desciption it crashed and couldn't reconnect to Internet and they tried to get the YT poster to stop filming.

This might be a problem greater than 720p. I'm not sure though. I just saw this on Mort's Twitter timeline thing.

U0GOaJI.png

Edit:

We have no idea if that's true though.

Oh yeah, you are definitely correct. I was just offering another viewpoint.

*Mods, if for some reason I don't need/shouldn't post twitter screenshots about speculation and/or rumors please let me know and I will remove this asap. Thanks.

Stealth50

This seems pretty cool and all but I don't understand why they need to burden the Xbox One with it. I don't know if this has been answered before, but why can't just TV manufacturers build this, or similar, technology into every TV in the near future and thus render a big part of XB1 useless?

Even if they really, really, really want to make their way into every living room, they should make a standalone box called Xbox TV at a 100-150$ pricepoint. This box would have much of this mulitmedia stuff and be easily connected to the Xbox One, which could have achieved a far better market share due to the lower price point it would have achieved by the exclusion of much of this stuff.

Prelude.

Nice try but those pics were photoshopped by a gaffer. As a matter of fact there is no background customization on PS4 (at least at launch).

This might be a problem greater than 720p. I'm not sure though. I just saw this on Mort's Twitter timeline thing.
http://i.imgur.com/U0GOaJI.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

OH SHIIIET

Top Bottom