• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Does the "finger tapping" to select options in the menu works?
No real finger tapping that I've seen works, but once one of your hands is registered on-screen, you can quickly or slowly push that hand forward about an inch or so to 'press' the tile and activate it. Works well enough, though nothing quite as articulated a movement as finger tapping.
the kinect rivals jet ski demo is pretty awesome. gorgeous, fun, and kinect works well. you can get all the range of motion you need from subtle turns to huge massive turns and everything inbetween. hardly even a learning curve. really impressed.

Yes. I've become so good at controlling the jetski that I was confidently weaving around mines in succession, activating them as I went. The level of control is impressive and consistent.

Agree, I have had Zero issues with Comcast and my Xbox One. The only problem I had was the initial set up because I was not telling it which Model Number my Cable Box was, so it would not change channels. Once I did that, it was flawless.

There is also a nice option for SD and HD Channels within the Xbox One Settings. For most cable companies, there are 2 for example USA channels, one SD and one HD, you can tell the Xbox One to prioritize the HD channels, so when you say "Xbox Watch TBS" it will default to the HD one versus the SD channel.

I love the hide the SD channel option in the guide. Saves so much space and reduces the visual clutter.

I still haven't unboxed my xbox one day one edition yet. Honestly, I want to just for football sunday and the nfl app. The other side of me says I should sell it or return it and wait until some more appealing titles come around and they iron out the jankyness. First world problems I know.

I hate regretting purchases and im a big worrier. These things make me gun shy.

I see you bashing the XB1 relentlessly in damn near every single XB1 thread so why you decided to buy it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
You obviously have a TON of problems with the system & MS business practices so just go ahead and sell it while it's still going for $600-$700 on Ebay,etc...

DSmalls84

Having played both consoles I'm preferring the ps4's simplified ui and smaller hardware at this point. The menu system just seems more clunky on xbox one (though it is mitigated by kinect).

Controller wise I like both conrollers at this point but would give the one the slight edge. I prefer the trigger, sticks and the dpad is a huge improvement from the 360's. Still not a fan of the bumpers though and think the face buttons buttons on the ps4 feel better.

Game wise is really where microsoft has impressed me the most. Really enjoying dead rising, forza and killer instinct so far. Dead rising is the most fun I have had on either system so far.

Miles X

I still haven't unboxed my xbox one day one edition yet. Honestly, I want to just for football sunday and the nfl app. The other side of me says I should sell it or return it and wait until some more appealing titles come around and they iron out the jankyness. First world problems I know.

1. Sell it
2. Buy a PS4 if you haven't already
3. Go post in PS4 launch thread instead
4. Happiness for everyone.

(I actually doubt you bought one but hey ho)

I've been busy since launch so I really haven't played much. I am really liking the UI and the new Netflix app. I picked up Bf4 and have DR3 day one edition coming on Tuesday. Tonight looks promising though. I tried the snap feature while playing BF4 and I snapped tv.....guys.....the future is here...the tv was on a suicide girls show....while I was shooting people in the face in BF4...that is the future...shooting people while boobies are snapped on the right...next Gen!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I see you bashing the XB1 relentlessly in damn near every single XB1 thread so why you decided to buy it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
You obviously have a TON of problems with the system & MS business practices so just go ahead and sell it while it's still going for $600-$700 on Ebay,etc...
What are you even talking about? I have owned 3 360s and I wasn't even involved in the anti-drm talk.

The best way to educate ignorant and/or suspicious people is to let them experience things firsthand and hope that they didn't go in with such a one-sided attitude that they can see things in a more enlightened manner. No harm in trying things out.

MThanded

1. Sell it
2. Buy a PS4 if you haven't already
3. Go post in PS4 launch thread instead
4. Happiness for everyone.

(I actually doubt you bought one but hey ho)
ij4cmFy.png

EH2oBKF.jpg

Well you don't know what you are talking about. It's ridiculous to presume that I am lying just because I'm not super happy with what I have heard about the system so far.

I already have a ps4.

I went through the same with PS4. Had my PS4 still in the box, unopened. Waited until Xbox One Day One to come out. Hated PS4's UI, controller, PSN, voice chat quality, etc... Just decided to sell the damn thing and stick with the Xbox.

Just keep whatever system you like. Judging from your other posts you obviously aren't thrilled with what Xbox One has to offer. Sell it.

Anyway, BACK TO MORE XBOX DISCUSSION.

Any idea when there will be more apps available? I'm hoping their app library will be just as good as the ones on Android/iOS camps

Too true lol. I was messing around with voice command pretty much all day on Friday and then having to reacquaint myself with the reality of ghetto non-voice friendly devices and appliances.

It's still not as good as Siri on iOS, but if MS gets it to that point... Holy shit it's going to be glorious. :))))))))))) So much fucking potential here.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Had my first real meltdown at Xbone yesterday. Was trying to use voice to get it to quit killer instinct. Fully quit so it wasn't still running in the home menu window with the music in the background. "Xbox quit game" "Xbox close app". And all possible imaginable variables with 'Xbox one' and 'xbox system'. My wife was dying with laughter.

Anybody found an extension cord for Kinect? I want to move my console to my equipment rack which is about 12ft from my TV. Used one for my 360 and it was great but it's a USB 3.0 connector this time around.

MThanded

I don't have some secret anti-MS hidden agenda. Loved my 360 and played a bunch. Preordered a bone when it was available. Just down on some of the missteps. No harm no foul.

Please don't pull that stealth console wars passive aggressive stuff on me.

I'll catch all of you on live. Once titanfall comes out I'll have to settle some scores.

LTWheels

I might give it one more try but I've never had a great experience with those. If I were to try is there one to recommend?

I use tp-link 500mps version: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385313836&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+link+powerline+adapters

They work very well for me. We have a set of 4 (xbox, 2 PC and router).

Though, how well they work depends upon the electrical wiring of your house as that is what the internet is sent over. May work great for one person, but shit for another.

We have only had one problem. One of our PC's would keep losing connection. It turns out it was a problem with the ethernet cable from the powerline plug to the PC. Once I replace the cable it has worked fine.

Southside Jim

Neo Member
Hey guys. Sorry if I missed it, but any best practice tips for power settings? Is it best to leave it in its low-powered state, even overnight, or should it be powered down completely then cold booted?

Feeroper

So is everyone setting their power settings to instant on or energy saver? Are there any downsides to leaving it as instant on? Like is it going to add more wear on the systems overall life than energy saver?

It certainly boots faster from instant on.

Hawk269

Had my first real meltdown at Xbone yesterday. Was trying to use voice to get it to quit killer instinct. Fully quit so it wasn't still running in the home menu window with the music in the background. "Xbox quit game" "Xbox close app". And all possible imaginable variables with 'Xbox one' and 'xbox system'. My wife was dying with laughter.

Don't want to sound like such a noob, but can you completely close a game? If so, how and yeah, I did not know this! lol

Coins

Banned
ij4cmFy.png

EH2oBKF.jpg

Well you don't know what you are talking about. It's ridiculous to presume that I am lying just because I'm not super happy with what I have heard about the system so far.

I already have a ps4.

Dude, you don't need to defend yourself here. Everyone knows you're legit.

MThanded

I'm going to open the console. YOLO

I've made up my mind.

I have no games though. I'll probably grab KI.

So is everyone setting their power settings to instant on or energy saver? Are there any downsides to leaving it as instant on? Like is it going to add more wear on the systems overall life than energy saver?

It certainly boots faster from instant on.

I'm keeping it on instant on, because my internet blows and I want it to do all the update/download stuff at night. Power brick and console feel cold in the morning and MS said it's designed to be on 24/7 so I think it's fine.

Hawk269

It certainly looks great. Best looking next-gen title so far imo. The fact that there are almost no jaggies really helps.

Gameplay isn't great but it's exactly what I expected.

I have a friend that was about to take back the game because he said it was way to repetitive and it was just a button masher type of game. Told him to crank the difficulty to the highest (Hardcore is locked). He loves it now. You have to be more strategic and time your blocks and shield usage to survive. When I started on normal, it felt like I was mowing through enemies and just tapping the buttons and it did not feel very rewarding. Once I cranked up the difficulty, it just seemed a lot more fun and not as repetitive because you have to be smart in how you play, instead of being a bit more mind-less.

Got it set to powersaver at the moment because I had some issues on Friday with getting it restart out of instant on, was fine yesterday but theres nothing particularly for it download at the moment so figured i'd power save for now.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Im thinking of returning the xbox one. Do you guys know if best buy will take an opened box console back? Killer Instinct is fun but I really feel like I am regretting spending so much for one game.

You bought a $500 console solely for a single game? A digital download one even.
That is dedication man. Be proud and be patient.

Hawk269

I'm going to open the console. YOLO

I've made up my mind.

I have no games though. I'll probably grab KI.

Don't want to be the negative nancy, but any way you can make your own thread for your own impressions? I just fear that there is going to be a coming shit storm of complaints from you. Sorry to be mean about that, but anyone going in with such negativity it would have to make you breakfast and give you a hand job to overcome such negativity going in.

I guess I can always open the system and if it doesn't work for me I can send it back.

I need to check amazon's return policy for consoles.

I'm pretty much just echoing what other people have said already but every post you make sounds like you're really down on the console, if I were you I'd return it and perhaps purchase it later when there are more games out for it.

That being said I've had a pretty great experience with mine so far including the voice commands which, except for "Xbox On", work really well for me and most importantly the games that are out for it now have been a ton of fun.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't have some secret anti-MS hidden agenda. Loved my 360 and played a bunch. Preordered a bone when it was available. Just down on some of the missteps. No harm no foul.

Please don't pull that stealth console wars passive aggressive stuff on me.

I'll catch all of you on live. Once titanfall comes out I'll have to settle some scores.

you're just experiencing fanboys posse-up, where they form cliques to try to ignore legitimate problems people have just so they can collectively silence criticisms. Then they gang up on the person expressing their problems, so that it seems like they're the "outsider" and may back off from their claims. It's actually not at all unique to Xbox fans - all fanboys do it. official topics for games are usually insufferable until about a month out because that's about the time the ultra fanboys stop circling people with criticisms like rabid dogs and allow people to accept the reality that there are real problems.

It gets better :)

Hawk269 said:
Don't want to be the negative nancy, but any way you can make your own thread for your own impressions? I just fear that there is going to be a coming shit storm of complaints from you. Sorry to be mean about that, but anyone going in with such negativity it would have to make you breakfast and give you a hand job to overcome such negativity going in.

Haha, no better illustration than this. Trying to chase someone out of the topic because you don't want your rainbow parade shat on.

MThanded

Thanks for this post.

Please stop.

"Sorry to be mean", no you aren't.

nbraun80

I have a friend that was about to take back the game because he said it was way to repetitive and it was just a button masher type of game. Told him to crank the difficulty to the highest (Hardcore is locked). He loves it now. You have to be more strategic and time your blocks and shield usage to survive. When I started on normal, it felt like I was mowing through enemies and just tapping the buttons and it did not feel very rewarding. Once I cranked up the difficulty, it just seemed a lot more fun and not as repetitive because you have to be smart in how you play, instead of being a bit more mind-less.

exactly the same here. I just started playing it today(too many other games) and I just started on the highest it would let me. I've definitely died a few times, bur its really satisfying when you chain a bunch of blocks and hits together. Really liking it so far, its beautiful,liking the story, and combat is challenging st higher difficulty settings.

Hawk269

exactly the same here. I just started playing it today(too many other games) and I just started on the highest it would let me. I've definitely died a few times, bur its really satisfying when you chain a bunch of blocks and hits together. Really liking it so far, its beautiful,liking the story, and combat is challenging st higher difficulty settings.

Same here. I died a lot at first, but when I am able to chain combo's, block an incoming attack and then go into the executions it is very satisfying.

ekim

Assassins Creed IV looks pretty bad... Do we know the resolution of it on the Xbox One? When not moving it looks like 900p but in motion it could also be 720p and the sharp textures in combination with the aliasing create some weird busy looking images. I had to use a movie preset to tone down the saturation and reduce sharpness on my TV to add a blur on the picture to make it playable. The game is fun though.

Top Bottom