• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

God... The fact that this console is completely region free is amazing. I just switched to English/US, bought ACIV for 44€ instead of 69€, switched back to German and it downloads the game. <3

Thanks for the tip!

Game.co.uk sent me two free copies of Forza 5 with my xb1.

Just bought a digital version from the US for less than new games on steam :)

Now to sell those two copies and buy dead rising 3/ Ryse :D

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
AC4 for me can look rather last gen at times, but other times it looks absolutely stunning. Battlefield 4 looks better in single player than it does in multi, but I dont know how they compare to the other systems as I havent seen it running on them.

I just watched a BF4 single player video on my LED through the laptop and it looked amazing visually and smooth at 60fps so I'm going to get that.

I'll have to do the same for AC4 because the screenshots aren't doing the game any justice.

Bgamer90

Banned
the nfl network streaming seemed pretty good. looking forward to trying redzone snapped today

Yeah, the app is pretty solid. Really good streaming quality.

I also like how you can snap NFL scores. Play Madden as I view real-time scores in the league...

BZ2HXZwIAAAScsW.jpg:large

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, PS4 owner here.

Can someone tell me if they get sound when they get a clip of Battlefield 4. PS4 version does not for one reason or another. Wondering if it's the same on Xbox.

derFeef

So, dumb question, I always turn everything off in my TV center with a kill switch when I am not at home or go to work. I guess it's a bad idea to let the Xbox in low power state and do that, right?

hwy_61

Banned
So, dumb question, I always turn everything off in my TV center with a kill switch when I am not at home or go to work. I guess it's a bad idea to let the Xbox in low power state and do that, right?

I wouldn't. You could cause a shortage.

I'm not an electrician, so take that with a grain of salt.

sith ewok

So, if you can't see who you played with online in order to rate them, how is the reputation system working at all? I'm a bit confused. Is there really no way to see who you've played with? I played a great KI match yesterday with someone who was genuinely nice while they proceeded to kick my butt. Would love to give them a good review (or even friend them).

And KI is soooo good. Yesterday, I decided I would play a round or two of KI before throwing in Battlefield (had to get my "mature" gaming in while my daughter was napping, haha). Suffice it to say that I never got around to Battlefield. I started getting a blister on my thumb - been a very long time since I've gamed enough to do that.

So far, Madden is the only real disappointment I've had on the system (well, that and Just Dance - my wife and daughter played it yesterday. I haven't tried it myself, but they said it just wasn't nearly as good as Dance Central and they were wishing Harmonix hadn't skipped launch...)

mancan92

Banned
Btw the lean mechanic with the kinect in bf4 is some ridiculous future stuff. Its far more intuitive than pressing LT and it works everytime. If you turn up the sensitivity it is literally one to one movement with your body.

But the game itself runs really well that 64 player online is a huge step for any last gen owner.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Xbox on works so well. I really thought the IVR blasting would be unreliable but my DVR > xb1 > avr > tv works flawlessly. Followed by watch TV.

The xb1 guide is so much better than the comcast guide also.

The biggest improvement on the gaming side are the triggers.

Is there a way to get it so that when you say 'Xbox on' it'll go to fullscreen live TV by default? If it can only boot up into the Xbox dashboard, that'd probably be a deal breaker for my wife

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
the fuck is with this ui

when I go to a store and start a download or something how do I just get back to the main app/store menu? It just seems stuck on whatever I chose to install/download

Yeah, this is my one big gripe with the UI. You have to go back to the main page and select from the section on the right to reset the store.

ekim

It seems that when you buy a game digitally it downloads the unpatched version. When I played Dead Rising the other day while it was downloading, the frame rate drops were very noticeable. When I started the game today it prompted me for a patch and it seems to run very solid now.
Let's see if this happens again with AC4 when it's finished. I've read the day 1 patch adds some proper AA.

m23

Is there any list of people on Xbox One? I have Forza, Ryse, KI, BF4 and AC4 and barely anyone to play with since most of my friends are either still on 360 or switched to ps4.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the kinect rivals jet ski demo is pretty awesome. gorgeous, fun, and kinect works well. you can get all the range of motion you need from subtle turns to huge massive turns and everything inbetween. hardly even a learning curve. really impressed.

Has anyone figured out how to use in game chat in cod ghosts with kinect and a headset? I have turtle beaches and planned to just route game chat to my headset then use kinect as a mic. Party chat works great but cod ghost doesn't see you as having a mic in the lobby.

You also can't use your surround headset and the packed in mic around your neck becuase they left out the option to route game chat through your speakers it goes to the cheap mic instead such a simple feature that was available on 360.

Gorki247

Smartglass working right for all? It's locked up for me on the Dead Rising app. Trying to press the home button and nothing.

I think there are some issues with its implementation in DR3. You need to start the app before starting/resuming your game. If you do that it should work.

Milchjon

I don't get why Kinect almost never responds to "Xbox On" every other command works fine except for this one.

I'm pretty sure since it's used in a low power state, it's handled differently from all the other commands. Which probably causes these problems.

Just like the fact that Xbox On only works in 3 languages.

harSon

Banned
the kinect rivals jet ski demo is pretty awesome. gorgeous, fun, and kinect works well. you can get all the range of motion you need from subtle turns to huge massive turns and everything inbetween. hardly even a learning curve. really impressed.

Yup, this console is definitely going to be a hit with casuals if they continue to inject it with worthwhile Kinect games, and the price comes down a bit. My family could give a rat's ass about games, and thus, were completely dismissive when I tried to show them the Playstation 4. But they had a ball using Xbox One voice commands, playing Kinect Sports Rivals, etc. My mom can't navigate a console UI to save her life, and remote controls/controllers are a bane to her existence, but she has no issue with voice commands. My nephew fucking LOVES Kinect Sports Rivals too.

The input lag on the Kinect is completely acceptable now. It's obviously not in line with that of a traditional controller, but it's 100% acceptable. You can tell that the input lag is highly improved by using the hand cursor on the dashboard, which is pretty close to being 1:1 at this point. It's all about implementation and optimization on the part of the developer at this point, and now that adoption rate is of no concern, I'm truly excited to see what developers do with it. Microsoft definitely needs to lead the pack on this though. They've dropped the ball in that regard thus far, and really need to pick it up. Kinect Sports Rivals ain't enough.

E92 M3

Basically time sensitive achievements. They stay on your account when you unlock them. They aren't actually worth gamerscore though, they're worth in-game awards. Killer Instinct gives you KP for completing the challenges - which are the in game currency.

The idea being that developers can add new stuff over time.

Hmm that's tempting me to unpack my One. Don't want to miss out on the launch week challenges.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
"Xbox, Go back"

This doesn't always work, it takes you back to where you were globally. So if you're using the store and looking at an item, then you go back to the main page or another app, then go back to the store you're still on the item but "go back" takes you back to the last app or main page, not back in the store.

harSon

Banned
Amazon has Ryse $10 off right now so I jumped in. Screw the reviews, people I know keep telling me it's fun.

Me too. My PS4 is a Resogun machine now :)

Walmart had it for $49.99 too. Should have just copped it there, unless you live in a state that doesn't require taxes in online orders (which I don't think is the case?)

sangreal

Amazon has Ryse $10 off right now so I jumped in. Screw the reviews, people I know keep telling me it's fun.

Me too. My PS4 is a Resogun machine now :)

I've been having fun with Ryse. I think the general consensus is you need to start out on the highest difficulty they let you (Centurion)

So with a few exceptions it seems the vast majority are having a good time with the system, despite all the doom and gloom pre-launch.

Looks like Microsoft pulled it off.

Bgamer90

Banned
So with a few exceptions it seems the vast majority are having a good time with the system, despite all the doom and gloom pre-launch.

Looks like Microsoft pulled it off.

The biggest surprise to me was how smooth everything was just hours after the midnight launch. Had no problems downloading all of my games; a completely different experience in comparison to the one that was described here on GAF pre-launch.

Mononoke

Banned
It's been mentioned before, but "off" by itself is too similar to "on." The Kinect needs a bit more to differentiate.

Ah, didn't know this okay. Thanks for clarifying. I guess eventually I'll memorize all the commands. BTW I'm going to get Ryse and Forza in a couple hours. Pretty excited to try out more stuff on this.

So far my system has been working perfectly.

The biggest surprise to me was how smooth everything was just hours after the midnight launch. Had no problems downloading all of my games; a completely different experience in comparison to the one that was described here on GAF pre-launch.

Yup, day one patch was very quick as well, reckon it took me 10 minutes, a friend told me his took about 6 minutes, I was expecting some connections issues on Live or it just being slow but it was all quick. Downloading the free game (Forza 5 in my case) took a while but because it was 40gb not because of Xbox Live.

Really enjoying mine and no particular problems with Xbox Live.

R3TRODYCE

Yeah, I DL'd over 150gb's of games on day one and it was flawless.

Majine

Banned
Can you search for friends using kinect? What I saw of the friendslist, it's a simple horisontal list, and now I'm imagining 1000 friends there.

LTWheels

Disappointed that 4od is not integrated into the one guide or search results like Netflix is.

Search 'father ted' only brings up Netflix as an option. Not 4od.

It's funny how so many vocal detractors are now nowhere to be seen. So much rubbish thrown about without any confirmation or context pre-launch.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ah crap. I drilled a hole into my cabinet to hide the power brick and avoid the humming and I put the drill away in the basement. Get on my knees to arrange everything and the hole isn't big enough to fit the cable. lol.

Top Bottom