• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Hindle

Banned
I love my 3ds but I'll play exclusives on it. I wouldn't buy virtues last reward on 3ds. Nine times out of ten the 360 had the best performing version of multiplats. That's why it was my number one system. The ps3 was for exclusives. Microsoft made it so you don't really need a Xbox One right now. I would never play multi plats on that thing. Resolution and performance Is a big deal to me when associated with price performance. I will buy an Xbox One when I can get one for under 300 pounds. Which I don't think will be too long. The ps4 is going to trounce it in sales. And Microsoft will have to respond

When it comes to which console has the better multiplats?

This generation it comes down to what you prefer. If you want the better looking ports then the PS4 will be the best console. But, MS are doing cool features with thier system, that will make some ports the best on thier console. I just think the lines will be blurred this gen.

Dueck

Banned
The Xbox One was never in as much trouble as say the PS3 or the Wii U. I say this because the console has great games coming from day one, a world class online service, and every 3rd party game avalible the same day as the competition. The PS3 never had any of these when it was launched.

The PS3 was the butt of the "no games" joke for 2-3 years. It will finish the strongest of its generation (IMO), but definitely had the worst start in terms of units and software.

Raydeen

Of course those policies were ridiculous, and MS got rid of them, before they even bothered to give a definitive explanation of what they actually entailed.
But I think you need to watch your step when you say that things such as resolution/hardware disparities are a non-issue, it seems many people want to gloss over the discrepancies between the 2 new platforms.
Yes, it wasn't the "MEGATON" that might have been, according to CBOAT, However this seems to be more due to the press not willing to actually address it.
However from the perspective of tech savvy consumers, it is actually an issue.

I suppose, luckily for MS, there are still people willing to ignore blatant issues with the system, like yourself, and the average "joe" who doesn't know any better.
But that in no way negates the impact of CBOATS "predictions" and the fact that the Xbox One employs shitty up-scalers in attempts to negate the HW difference.

Regarding the HW scaler.

It's like meeting two cracking birds with great tits.

Ones are real...the others are fake.

But they look pretty much the same unless your looking for it.

And that's Joe Public for you.

Honestly give it a year or two and Id expect games to go to 900 min and 1080 with the talented coders.

Look at a C64 game at launch to the titles that game out a few years later etc... it really won't be an issue.

Id also add PS4 fans on this forum are like Islamic fanatics. Why don't they just realise, resolution / power difference aside, XB1 owners / adopters simply aren't' interested in PS4 / Sony's offering.

Prine

Banned
Of course those policies were ridiculous, and MS got rid of them, before they even bothered to give a definitive explanation of what they actually entailed.
But I think you need to watch your step when you say that things such as resolution/hardware disparities are a non-issue, it seems many people want to gloss over the discrepancies between the 2 new platforms.
Yes, it wasn't the "MEGATON" that might have been, according to CBOAT, However this seems to be more due to the press not willing to actually address it.
However from the perspective of tech savvy consumers, it is actually an issue.

I suppose, luckily for MS, there are still people willing to ignore blatant issues with the system, like yourself, and the average "joe" who doesn't know any better.
But that in no way negates the impact of CBOATS "predictions" and the fact that the Xbox One employs shitty up-scalers in attempts to negate the HW difference.

Press don't focus on it because they're in a similar position most of us who purchased the machine, it's a slight disappointment but not an issue that impacts the games that much. No matter what you say and how much you bang on about it, Ryse is day one game and it's one of the best looking games released this year. It's out there for all to see, and a reminder the resolution concern is a trivial one for us.

Kajiba

Man, this thread is moving to fast lol. Wake up and ten pages more

Guys, I know this sounds dumb. But how fucking awesome is it to walk into your room, say Xbox On, have your TV and Xbox turn on. Then saying Xbox go to Netflix, followed by Xbox select *whatever number Sunny happens to be*, all while you're getting naked and jumping into bed? WITHOUT ever grabbing the control. I fucking love this.

Yeah lol. Came from work and walk in to my room and said "Xbox on". Xbox signs me in my account cause the kinect notice me while I'm taking off my jacket. It's bonkers. Simple things like that is just amazing.

Bgamer90

Banned
I find the overall view that one console having better looking multiplats automatically causes the competing console to be an "automatic flop" pretty funny -- especially when people use it when discussing the PS4.

And I say that because that line of thinking completely goes against the success of the past three Playstation consoles and therefore makes it ironic when people use it when talking about the PS4. Why was the Playstation brand huge these past almost two decades when the brand as a whole had worse looking multiplats for more than 17 years? It's because the brand had/has a ton of unique gaming content that went along side those (worse looking) multiplats.

Overall, the gaming content and features that both consoles have that won't be on the competitor console is going to matter the most. The Xbox 360 did have better looking multiplats but the majority of people bought multiplats on the Xbox 360 due to system features like Xbox Live -- not because the multipats looked better vs. the PS3.

When it comes to graphics, as long as a new console is a big step up from an (old) current gen console, most will be happy.

PARANO1A

Thought I'd chuck in my weekend experiences with my day one console purchase.

I spent most of the weekend playing Zoo Tycoon with my girlfriend. I know, right? But it's a lot of fun and has a decent VP vibe, if a little light on content. I think I'm nearly done with it after a 7-8 hour marathon yesterday and knocking out a few challenges tonight. Very disappointed that there's a 'zoo limit' that doesn't let you have too many animals at once. Why can't I just have one zoo with everything I want? But like most games the reviews aren't going to tell you too much about whether or not you'll enjoy a game. Oh - and it's the only retail game I bought digitally, and it was very seamless.

My next most played game was Forza. The last pure driving games I've played were Forza 2 and then GT5, both not getting too far into the content. I also played PGR3 a fair bit, and barely touched PGR4. I'm enjoying this - it's the first driving game where I've played in cockpit view exclusively without feeling like I can't really see what's going on. I like the fact that progress is steady and after each tournament there's a new car I want to try. I think I made a bad decision in buying a Lancia without any tournaments to use it in, leaving me trying to compete in the B tournament with it against much faster cars. Hopefully I get enough money to stay on track. I only really enjoy these games because of the cars I want to drive - I tend to stop playing once the cars leave my 'interest zone'. Prague is beautiful... the pure race tracks are not my cup of tea. Wish there was a game full of pure city racing... someone said earlier that this felt somewhat PGRish, and I agree with that comment. More than a few times have I been blown away by the visuals in city racing (or the alpine track) as well as the sense of speed that ramps up. I do like the Drivatar concept - I have a small friends list (mostly Beyond 3D people) and seeing those names ahead of me in the race made me smile. I want to build a big friends list again since there'll no doubt be more of this stuff over the next few years. I felt they raced much better than any AI I've seen - didn't see anything ridiculous like I've read about online... at least, nothing that's not in every other racer I've played. I've probably been taken out by the AI racers in Forza 5 less that any other one I've played.

I played maybe half an hour on Friday night of Dead Rising 3 which was my most anticipated launch game. Didn't see too much of it because I was distracted by other games to play. Will get back in once I knock some others off my list. In my brief time a random jumped into my game and caused me to win a bunch of missions. I wasn't paying too much attention but I'm very much an offline gamer and felt a bit rude quitting on the guy. Oh, and the running on top of cars while trying to get through the horde of zombies while not having weapons is very well done.

I did the tutorial in Killer Instinct and lost my first fight against the CPU. I bought all the characters but probably won't get too into this since I like my fighters on a stick. 6 button layout on a controller just irritates me. Will see how I go here... new fighters are hard to get into. I'm one of those that enjoys fighters in single player modes, mastering reflexes against the AI, so will probably only really pick this up once story mode drops.

I tried Kinect Sports Rivals Pre Season but the Kinect wouldn't start the race because it said it couldn't see me. Terrible interface and really poor at explaining what I should be doing. Got annoyed and quit the game before even starting a race. May try this another time - but this is a classic "un-Apple" experience from MS.

I also got my free FIFA which I booted once, didn't know what the buttons were (my first FIFA), and was trying to figure it out since I was dumped into a match. Quit after a few minutes, don't know if I'll go back since I never really saw the appeal of sports games.

I downloaded the Fitness app but haven't tried it yet. Interesting to see if it works, since KS didn't but Zoo Tycoon did with gesture controls.

Feel free to add me on XBL - gamertag is say nothing, if only for the drivatar benefits.

-PXG-

Killer Instinct is one helluva game. It just needs more content. A lot more. I would have paid 60 bucks for 20+ characters, 360 TE support, tons of stages, full length, robust story and bonus modes and a feature rich online lobby. Oh well. The training and tutorial stuff is good as is.

Double Helix still did a great job so far though

LowerLevel

Id also add PS4 fans on this forum are like Islamic fanatics. Why don't they just realise, resolution / power difference aside, XB1 owners / adopters simply aren't' interested in PS4 / Sony's offering.

I'd be more apt to say a good amount of Xbox supporters are real gamers and actually own more than one system or they will. They can see the good in all platforms, for the most part, whereas a very vocal group of Sony fanatics will take any negative from all other platforms and run with it to the point it becomes an agenda to try to find all faults available and shove them down your throats. You can look at the Forza DF topic. One bad pic that was taken has been reposted over and over again. I'm not saying MS doesn't have it's own overzealous fanbase, but Sony ones just tend to try to take it to a whole new level, that's why I equate them to Fox News. See what they want and try to exploit it while downplaying or flat out ignoring the positives.

jem0208

Killer Instinct is one helluva game. It just needs more content. A lot more. I would have paid 60 bucks for 20+ characters, 360 TE support, tons of stages, full length, robust story and bonus modes and a feature rich online lobby. Oh well. The training and tutorial stuff is good as is.

Double Helix still did a great job so far though

Hopefully it gets enough interest for DH to make a few more seasons.

Manp

I find the overall view that one console having better looking multiplats automatically causes the competing console to be an "automatic flop" pretty funny -- especially when people use it when discussing the PS4.

And I say that because that line of thinking completely goes against the success of the past three Playstation consoles and therefore makes it ironic when people use it when talking about the PS4. Why was the Playstation brand huge these past almost two decades when the brand as a whole had worse looking multiplats for more than 17 years? It's because the brand had/has a ton of unique gaming content that went along side those (worse looking) multiplats.

Overall, the gaming content and features that both consoles have that won't be on the competitor console is going to matter the most. The Xbox 360 did have better looking multiplats but the majority of people bought multiplats on the Xbox 360 due to system features like Xbox Live -- not because the multipats looked better vs. the PS3.

When it comes to graphics, as long as a new console is a big step up from an (old) current gen console, most will be happy.

stop making sense. lately GAF can't take it.

PS2 succeeded because of PS1's success and because the XB1 launched late and botched Japan launch

PS3 tied with 360 because it launched a year later at a much higher price with less games and OS features all while being more or less the same power as the 360

PS4 launches at the same time as the XB1 with 50% more power, (purportedly) better development tools, lower price, better looking multiplats and similar feature sets

there are many ways to look at this

I don't care about the weaker hardware, what I do care about however is MS using crappy upscaling techniques and ruin the picture quality of 720p games. killer instinct looks like crap because of the added sharpening and crushed blacks. I really hope they fix this cuz it's affecting my enjoyment for the console and makes me dread what DR3 will look like when it comes in the mail today.

Spoiler: It's not pretty. It's a fun game though, the best Dead Rising has ever been in my opinion, but the technical problems put a damper on the experience for me. More so for the fact that this is a next gen machine, I just expect a bit more.

I bought Lococycle. I honestly don't know what to think just yet. :|

Gonna try out BF4 multiplayer - is it really as borked as everyone says?

Dunlop

seriously wtf?

It is comical to post this on GAF like there has not be MANY threads highlighting the hardware differences between the 2 platforms. Any shortcoming that are perceived from MS are screamed from the fucking rooftops

MS has chosen a different path than the PS4 which is the thing that rubs many here the wrong way. Sony is doing all the right things for the core gamer, but it is not us that carries a system in the long run

It will take a few years to see which vision pays off.

Hold your hand out in front of you for about one second and it will appear on-screen. From there you can grab a point by closing your hand and pulling it left or right to drag the UI over and open your hand to let go. You can hold your hand over a selection and then move it toward the camera/screen to push it or activate it. On the main tile on your home screen, you can hold both of your hands out in front and outstretched to the sides, like your trying to catch or hug something large in front of you, then close your hands and bring your arms together in the center to close a full screen app or do the opposite to open it up to full screen. You have to be a bit deliberate the way you have to clearly annunciate your speech for Kinect voice commands.
Does the "finger tapping" to select options in the menu works?

So my initial impressions:

1) The voice commands are working for me maybe 90% of the time. The rest is typically because I'm saying something the wrong way. MS needs to do some work here and have multiple ways to do the same thing and make it more conversational. Also, making me say the full name of things is stupid, I understand a problem exists (what happens when Forza 5 comes out.. you can't just say "Play Forza"), but there needs to be a better middle ground than as current.

If MS wants voice controls to take off it's exactly what they need to do. Voice controls are not only about properly recognizing the words you are saying, they have to understand the context either.

For example, if I say Play Forza, and only have one Forza installed, that's the one I want to play. If I have more than one the system has to say something like: Hey, here are all the Forza games we found, which one you want?

And from there I can contextually chose too... Like, i can chose for the position of the list, numbers on numbered sequels, or even further trim down the list (For example, if I say Horizon, I would like it to play Forza Horizon 2 if I have that, and if there's more than one Forza Horizon, it would show the same list, now with only the Forza Horizon games)

I really hope we get there eventually.

ChrisV

This may have been asked/answered in this thread, and I missed it, but I can't for the life of me get the Dolby Digital to work on my DirecTV box. I activated the "Surround Sound (BETA)" option, and when I go back to the TV app, I get no sound or picture. I even tried to disable Dolby Digital in the box settings, and it then let me use the Surround Sound (BETA) setting, but as soon as I turned Dolby Digital back on with the DirecTV box, picture and sound disappeared. Any ideas?

Anyone? I messed with it for another hour last night, trying everything I can think of, and nothing.

ChrisV

It [Xbone] doesn't support Dolby Digital AFAIK. You're limited to uncompressed or DTS for output.

There's an option for Surround Sound (BETA), in the Troubleshooting section of OneGuide/TV. This is supposed to give surround sound. If I can't figure this out in the next couple of hours, I'm hooking the DirecTV back to the TV directly and watching football that way. There is an obvious decline in picture quality, but I was willing to sacrifice it for convenience, but the fact that I have a 7.1 surround system that is outputting satellite TV in 2.0 in 2013 is just inexcusable right now. I'm sure it will be fixed, but that should have been a fairly easy thing to implement at launch.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I'm really enjoying this thing. It's been on or in standby since Friday and it's been great. It's really quiet and I've used the voice commands many times for TV and games when I'm moving around doing things without grabbing remotes or controllers. The Kinect can miss commands though but I am overall very pleased with it and look forward to how this console matures over the next few years.

Redshirt

Banned
I tried Kinect Sports Rivals Pre Season but the Kinect wouldn't start the race because it said it couldn't see me. Terrible interface and really poor at explaining what I should be doing. Got annoyed and quit the game before even starting a race. May try this another time - but this is a classic "un-Apple" experience from MS.

Most apps/games that use Kinect are forgiving since they just need to see your face or hand.

KSR needs full view of the floor because you can trigger the speed boosts with your heel, so check if that's your problem when you try again.

Xbox on works so well. I really thought the IVR blasting would be unreliable but my DVR > xb1 > avr > tv works flawlessly. Followed by watch TV.

The xb1 guide is so much better than the comcast guide also.

The biggest improvement on the gaming side are the triggers.

FrankT

Smartglass working right for all? It's locked up for me on the Dead Rising app. Trying to press the home button and nothing.

Bgamer90

Banned
PS2 succeeded because of PS1's success and because the XB1 launched late and botched Japan launch

The PS2 being a huge graphical jump over the PS1 (of a size that we probably won't ever get again) on top of it being a cheap DVD player greatly helped it.

The Gamecube for a large portion of that gen was $100 cheaper and had better looking multiplats but many didn't care -- the majority of PS2 sales came after the Gamecube launched. People were greatly interested in the PS2's content and features.

PS3 tied with 360 because it launched a year later at a much higher price with less games and OS features all while being more or less the same power as the 360

Console power didn't really have anything to do with that. Sony did a great job at rebranding the PS3 alongside the slim remodel and price drop. At the same time, the PS3 really picked itself up in terms of gaming content. That thus made the gap between the two consoles in terms of sales shrink after 2010.

The "wii sports fad" dying down around the same time of the PS3's rebranding helped too. There were people who moved on to the PS3 after getting a Wii early on in the gen.

PS4 launches at the same time as the XB1 with 50% more power, (purportedly) better development tools, lower price, better looking multiplats and similar feature sets

Is all of that going to be greatly visible to general consumers though? Does all of that triumph the possibility of the Xbox One console having killer app/mainstream attractive content and features?

Bgamer90

Banned
Smartglass working right for all? It's locked up for me on the Dead Rising app. Trying to press the home button and nothing.

It's working perfectly for me when it comes to interacting with the overall Xbox interface. I haven't tried it for any games though.

thesnowman

Neo Member
First time I have had a chance to get on GAF since friday as I have been playing around with my Xbox One. Here are some observations.

- Absolutely love the interface, took around 30 mins for kinect to get use to me and after that it worked 95% of the time. The only time I had an issue was last night when for some reason it would listen to me at all, so I completely powered it off and booted it back up and again it was fine.
- Scanning in QR codes that come with pre order bonuses is brilliant. When I had to type in my Uplay password for AC4 I was a bit miffed as I wanted to scan it in.
- Plugging in the tv has worked seamlessly, and the wife has been very impressed and likes being able to talk to the tv to pause, mute change channel.
- Yesterday I was playing battlefield 4 online and I wanted to see what the Premeir league scores were, so I snapped the tv and went to NBC sports and watched the tv scores while I played online battlefield. To me that was awesome and I had a big kids smile on my face.
Battlefield 4 seems a bit of a mess at times. When playing it friday night with a friend I must have been crashed back to the dash 5-6 times, also had issues getting on a server. When it worked, it was great, nice and smooth and no lag. Worked a lot better Saturday during the day, but I think there are some issues that obviously need patching.
- Wish I had went digital, annoying having to put a disk in, especially now when I can boot up a game, as I watch tv.
- Got AC4, BF4, Ryse and DR3. AC4 is really good, so much better than 3, BF4 is good, but the single player is a bit pish. I havent played much or ryse, but the combat seems a lot AC4 and looks lovely, I know it will get tiring after a while, but looking forward to more eye candy. Havent got a chance to play DR3, which is weird as it was one of my most looked forward to games. I got a few days off before thanksgiving so I am sure I will get to it.

Overall loving the system and anyone I have showed the ui and voice commands to have been very impressed. The fact that it works most of the time and isnt a chore is a big win in my book, I find myself wanting to use the voice commands. Also good to see that XBL seems to have withstood the first day onslaught, although I suspect december 25th will be a greater strain for both xb1 and ps4.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Guys how does AC4 or BF4 look on TV? I saw the videos and screens from Gamersyde but they don't look that clean.

My local shop has 1 Day One edition left so I'm undecided whether to pick it up tomorrow or wait until 2014.

Phreaker

Make an invite only party and turn party chat on (since for some reason it's off by default).

How do you make it invite only? When I click Start a Party it shows "Your Party" with me in it. Then I see "Invite more people". At this point any of my friends can join this party, but I want it to be private/invite only.

thesnowman

Neo Member
AC4 for me can look rather last gen at times, but other times it looks absolutely stunning. Battlefield 4 looks better in single player than it does in multi, but I dont know how they compare to the other systems as I havent seen it running on them.

Bgamer90

Banned
How do you make it invite only? When I click Start a Party it shows "Your Party" with me in it. Then I see "Invite more people". At this point any of my friends can join this party, but I want it to be private/invite only.

Create a party. Then invite someone.

After you do that, the party app should snap to the right of the screen. When it does that, press the menu button on your controller (three lines). Then you'll see the option to make the party "invite only".

Phreaker

Create a party. Then invite someone.

After you do that, the party app should snap to the right of the screen. When it does that, press the menu button on your controller (three lines). Then you'll see the option to make the party "invite only".

OH!! Thank you. It was the "menu button" part that was complete lost on me.

the fuck is with this ui

when I go to a store and start a download or something how do I just get back to the main app/store menu? It just seems stuck on whatever I chose to install/download

Top Bottom