• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Thank you.

Will the "Xbox on" voice command still work from a cold boot?

I don't believe it will. I haven't tested it, so I could be wrong.

I wish there was an easier way to full reboot/turn off the system than changing that setting every time.

Yeah, it's very odd in that sense. Another thing MS needs to patch...

Have to say, I'm pretty disappointed with the UI in its current state. It's not unusable, but it's certainly missing a lot of key features and it's anything but intuitive...

LTWheels

So you don't have to be in Netflix to search? That's neat.

Yep the whole point of the search function is that if you say a name of a tv show that available in more than one app, it will let you know so you can do price comparisons between different apps.

But for some reason it does not bring in 4od app.

So with a few exceptions it seems the vast majority are having a good time with the system, despite all the doom and gloom pre-launch.

Looks like Microsoft pulled it off.

Yeah I've had a couple issues but so far I'm very impressed. I think Kinect is still pointless in every game I have played outside of the inevitable Dance Central but it is excellent in tandem with the UI. The launch games have all been throwaways outside of Forza though.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I still haven't unboxed my xbox one day one edition yet. Honestly, I want to just for football sunday and the nfl app. The other side of me says I should sell it or return it and wait until some more appealing titles come around and they iron out the jankyness. First world problems I know.

I hate regretting purchases and im a big worrier. These things make me gun shy.

Majine

Banned
Not that I know of, just a way of making it quicker to access the people that you play with the most

It would've been cool if they had login and logout notifications for favorites. I understand why they took that out with the increased friends cap, but if you only have like 12 favorites, that would be okay.

Klocker

This NFL app is insane, especially if you have NFL ticket and play fantasy on NFL...

Also repost...

Anyone else finding their gesture control really janky but Kinect works in Rivals?

My camera can not register my hand movements at all janky...wondering if my Kinect is jacked or just rough software?

It's funny how so many vocal detractors are now nowhere to be seen. So much rubbish thrown about without any confirmation or context pre-launch.

Even as a PS4 owner, I found the rhetoric surrounding the Xbox here unbearable. Neogaf was the last place to go to if you wanted to talk about this console from an interested party perspective.

Next 12 months will be really interesting if MS continue to add to the feature list.

SlinkyFriend

Neo Member
I freaking love my Xbox, it's awesome, I was showing my sister and I didn't tell her I could turn it on with my voice, I told her to get up and turn it on, and I turned it on before she even got close! So great, and the games, Forza, Dead Rising, Ryse, and killer instinct are all great, I love it! I'm so giddy haha

Having some trouble figuring out just where to put my console. Right now it's in the open on to of my AV receiver but I'm worried about heat from the receiver even though it never really gets more than mild warm to the touch. I have a free spot below the TV and my front speaker but I worry about wifi interference down there (no way to run Ethernet currently). I'll move it and do a signal test later. Any thoughts?

Marvel

could never
I freaking love my Xbox, it's awesome, I was showing my sister and I didn't tell her I could turn it on with my voice, I told her to get up and turn it on, and I turned it on before she even got close! So great, and the games, Forza, Dead Rising, Ryse, and killer instinct are all great, I love it! I'm so giddy haha

Nice to read things like this, glad you're enjoying yourself. I get mine in a few weeks, to say I'm hyped is an understatement lol.

Azzurri

Looks like MS delivered with x1 for the most part, which is really good. Nice not to see all this doom and gloom about it.

Hawk269

Is there a deeper level of configuring your equipment? For example, my receiver has different channels for Xbox, Xbox One, separate 3d Blu Ray Player. When I say Xbox On, it turns everything On, but can you tell it tune the TV to say Video 2 or Video 3 as part of the process?

LTWheels

Having some trouble figuring out just where to put my console. Right now it's in the open on to of my AV receiver but I'm worried about heat from the receiver even though it never really gets more than mild warm to the touch. I have a free spot below the TV and my front speaker but I worry about wifi interference down there (no way to run Ethernet currently). I'll move it and do a signal test later. Any thoughts?

Have you thought about using power line adapters as a way to run Ethernet. I use it at home for my tv and computers as wifi signal does not travel in our thick walled Victorian house.

I still haven't unboxed my xbox one day one edition yet. Honestly, I want to just for football sunday and the nfl app. The other side of me says I should sell it or return it and wait until some more appealing titles come around and they iron out the jankyness. First world problems I know.

I hate regretting purchases and im a big worrier. These things make me gun shy.

You should probably get rid of it. You have been hyper sensitive to every "issue" and I'm certain that if you do run into the slightest of issues, your world will be on fire.

Why spend $500+ on something you are already skeptical about at every turn?

Looks like MS delivered with x1 for the most part, which is really good. Nice not to see all this doom and gloom about it.
They definitely did, all the FUD was bullshit. Doubt CBOAT will ever show his face again. Haven't been this impressed by a system at launch in a long time.

This NFL app is insane, especially if you have NFL ticket and play fantasy on NFL...

Also repost...

Anyone else finding their gesture control really janky but Kinect works in Rivals?

My camera can not register my hand movements at all janky...wondering if my Kinect is jacked or just rough software?

Tried that NFL stuff this morning and it looks cool. I don't see Xfinity supported which is a bit of a bummer. Good thing I got access to that Fios!

derFeef

Yeah I've had a couple issues but so far I'm very impressed. I think Kinect is still pointless in every game I have played outside of the inevitable Dance Central but it is excellent in tandem with the UI. The launch games have all been throwaways outside of Forza though.

Forza, KI and DR3 are really good games.

Hawk269

Got a odd problem.

I got the Digital version of Dead Rising 3, but no matter what I do, it will not let me PIN it. In addition, when I go to My Games/Apps, it shows 2 Dead Rising 3's. One is faded and it has the Controller Icon and a Cloud Icon. When I click on it it say it will take a while to install, but I already have the game installed as I have a second Dead Rising Icon and when I press that one it launches the game (but wont let me PIN it).

Last night, I decided to let it download the one in the cloud and it started, the next morning it was back to being faded and when I click on it, it gives me the same message that it will take a while to download.

Anyone have any clue on what would be going on and why it won't let me pin it?

Have you thought about using power line adapters as a way to run Ethernet. I use it at home for my tv and computers as wifi signal does not travel in our thick walled Victorian house.
I might give it one more try but I've never had a great experience with those. If I were to try is there one to recommend?

MThanded

You should probably get rid of it. You have been hyper sensitive to every "issue" and I'm certain that if you do run into the slightest of issues, your world will be on fire.

Why I got this:
1.I preordered back in the summer and I had a bunch of amazon credit. I actually got more down on the system after the live streams and the feedback I have heard.
2.I'm a really big early adopter of tech I love gadgets and new technology. I'm usually quick to buy the latest and greatest of almost anything
3.One of the biggest reasons I got this is to replace the comcast cable box but I have seen the video from JG on giantbomb that makes me believe it won't work for me.

Obviously stupid question, but when setting up the kinect, and it configures the voice/plays the music, is it best to turn it 90% up so that even if you speak in a low monotone voice the kinect will be able to pick it up easier?

Dukey

Banned
Not from within Xbox One? Really?

Go to the store and start purchasing something. It will tell you the price and then also show you how much money you currently have on your account. Then just back out of it before completing the purchase. You can do this from the web-based One store as well.

I preordered back in the summer and I had a bunch of amazon credit. I actually got more down on the system after the live streams and the feedback I have heard.

I'm a really big early adopter of tech I love gadgets and new technology. I'm usually quick to buy the latest and greatest

One of the biggest reasons I got this is to replace the comcast cable box but I have seen the video from JG on giantbomb that makes me believe it won't work for me.
FWIW I have my Comcast box running through the Xbox and I haven't had a single issue except for the Kinect IR occasionally not changing channel correctly. I keep the original remote on deck for that.

I preordered back in the summer and I had a bunch of amazon credit. I actually got more down on the system after the live streams and the feedback I have heard.

I'm a really big early adopter of tech I love gadgets and new technology. I'm usually quick to buy the latest and greatest

One of the biggest reasons I got this is to replace the comcast cable box but I have seen the video from JG on giantbomb that makes me believe it won't work for me.

You should get rid of it, none of your posts in this thread point to you actually wanting to get an XB1 and most of them are just pointing out any issue someone may be having.

Hawk269

I agree with you. I have not seen an Xbox One thread that he has not gone into and complained about something in relation to Xbox One. I am at a lost as to why he would buy one. I don't remember seeing him say anything remotely positive, just negative comments left and right.

I know when I am not happy about a product and I read about it and I find a lot of issues for said item and I talk to my friends on how crappy an item is because of A, B, C etc, , I don't go out and still buy the item.

MThanded

I agree with you. I have not seen an Xbox One thread that he has not gone into and complained about something in relation to Xbox One. I am at a lost as to why he would buy one. I don't remember seeing him say anything remotely positive, just negative comments left and right.

I know when I am not happy about a product and I read about it and I find a lot of issues for said item and I talk to my friends on how crappy an item is because of A, B, C etc, , I don't go out and still buy the item.
I bought the item before the issues came up. I had an amazon preorder from the summer. I also realized that the software was in flux. The issues cboat mentioned got ironed out as I expected.

They definitely did, all the FUD was bullshit. Doubt CBOAT will ever show his face again. Haven't been this impressed by a system at launch in a long time.

Sure he will. CBOAT is cool. He craps and leaves it there for you to find it and read into it what you will and you know how GAF loves that! Now Famous and Thruway, well.... They just just had too much glee with that BS but I'm sure they got a lot of followers out of it. :)

MThanded

I guess I can always open the system and if it doesn't work for me I can send it back.

I need to check amazon's return policy for consoles.

Ah crap. I drilled a hole into my cabinet to hide the power brick and avoid the humming and I put the drill away in the basement. Get on my knees to arrange everything and the hole isn't big enough to fit the cable. lol.

Hehe. I'm considering doing something like this. The cable isn't long enough to put the power brick in the same location as my 360 brick, so I think the drill has to be come out if I don't want it cluttered with wires...

Hawk269

FWIW I have my Comcast box running through the Xbox and I haven't had a single issue except for the Kinect IR occasionally not changing channel correctly. I keep the original remote on deck for that.

Agree, I have had Zero issues with Comcast and my Xbox One. The only problem I had was the initial set up because I was not telling it which Model Number my Cable Box was, so it would not change channels. Once I did that, it was flawless.

There is also a nice option for SD and HD Channels within the Xbox One Settings. For most cable companies, there are 2 for example USA channels, one SD and one HD, you can tell the Xbox One to prioritize the HD channels, so when you say "Xbox Watch TBS" it will default to the HD one versus the SD channel.

Dukey

Banned
Sure he will. CBOAT is cool. He craps and leaves it there for you to find it and read into it what you will. Now Famous and Thruway, well.... They just just had too much glee with that BS but insure they got a lot of followers out of it. :)

At least Cboat had the good sense to add the caveat that the issues people were having in beta might get fixed. Thuway and FM were the people I had a problem with. Reporting bugs from beta and then implying they wouldnt be fixed until months after release was just wrong. And doing it with such glee. Did not like that at all and I don't even own a One.

Im thinking of returning the xbox one. Do you guys know if best buy will take an opened box console back? Killer Instinct is fun but I really feel like I am regretting spending so much for one game.

Top Bottom