• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One price cut to £399 in the UK, includes free copy of Titanfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a retail copy of Titanfall or digital download?

digital download.

I'm guessing they just put a sleeve over the box and put the code card into the box and called it a day.

Also is this limited or are they gonna continue giving away titanfall for a while?

If they were confident in TITANFAll boosting sells they would not have made a price cut. Stop deluding yourself.

So you're going on record saying that MS fears TitanFall won't move enough consoles? Cool story... I'll go on record as saying TitanFall will sell consoles. I've played the game. It's awesome.

Zornack

So you're going on record saying that MS fears TitanFall won't move enough consoles? Cool story... I'll go on record as saying TitanFall will sell consoles. I've played the game. It's awesome.

If MS was confident it would move sales as much as they want then why would they give it away for free?

Danny 117

I'm sort of pissed off that I bought the Xbox One day one and then this shit happens.

Great move to get new customers, bad move to screw over your existing ones...

I'm inclined to read this discount as an indication that the Xbone is selling nowhere near as well in the UK as Microsoft wants.

Mass bundling of their killer app doesn't help this impression.

sunnz

I could have got it for £300 but apart from wanting to play DR3 a little, there was no reason for me to get it ( yet)

Needs to be £250 for me to get it ( or alan wake 2)

That interviewer doesn't pull any punches. To be fair the guy has to tow the company line, but I'm fairly certain when he's at home and looking in the mirror he's shaking his head thinking Kinect is the biggest POS ever and is a good reason why people aren't buying XBOne (in the UK)

Metro have done some fantastic interviews in the past, their last one with MS was very tough and they were the only ones to ask questions that most, if not all of games journalists chose not to ask...

Is that the same Metro guy who was grilling MS before? If so...I like that guy. Amazing, considering Metro is a free paper. If this isn't a new thread yet, it should be.

Pretty sure it is and feel free to create a thread...

digital download.

I'm guessing they just put a sleeve over the box and put the code card into the box and called it a day.

Also is this limited or are they gonna continue giving away titanfall for a while?

While stocks last, but it seems the price cut is permanent.

tfur

From the looks of the PAL charts, it barely even feels like it launched. So, they need to try something.

Still way over priced for what you get.

Busty

Banned

I think that both of your views could easily happen and you'd both be correct despite going on the record with your disagreement.

Titanfall will sell consoles. Yes, I also believe that it will.

But will it sell enough consoles to begin to turn the tide for the Xbone against the PS4? Frankly no. I think MS are hoping for some kind of Gears still smash that will propel the Xbone into some new momentum with the buying public. I don't think it will.

As where do you go to put these points 'on record'? Do you have to PM a mod? Do they charge an administration fee?

#game-changer...

MS has UK and NA locked down imo...although i would have preferred they just made the One as powerful as possible and stayed at ₤429/US$499, going for the kill instead of being reactive since they will lose money anyhow. This move leaves things dangling, you still will have games being held back by a weaker console, but the increased sales means more bargaining power to undercut PS4 development.

bad times, sad times.
Locked down for 2nd place? I fully agree.

I'm inclined to read this discount as an indication that the Xbone is selling nowhere near as well in the UK as Microsoft wants.

Mass bundling of their killer app doesn't help this impression.
That isn't really the problem; you had GTA5 packed in with PS3s and that wasn't a bad deal. You had Sega pack in Sonic 1 with Genesis and that leaped it past SNES in the States for a long time.

The difference with those vs. this, tho, is that one was an installment in a franchise proven to move millions on its own at full price, and the other had sold like hotcakes for a year before being packed in. They had time to prove their selling power on the market. TitanFall has neither of these factors.

IMHO MS is overestimating the appeal of Respawn's reputation on COD to sell a game that's clearly not COD.

Well it's more appealing all things considered, Get Kinect albeit its crap, Get TF, Xboxlive for a month. I can see it selling.

Sony are selling there machines anyway so they don't need to react, They probably knew March was MS month.

Dougald

For comparison:

The 60GB PS3 launched at £425 here.

And 4 months later I bought a 60GB PS3 with 3 games, a blu-ray and an HDMI cable for £400

So the Xbone is doing freaking awesome by comparison...

Wow so do us early people get anything!??

The sad realization that not only is early adoption a terrible idea, but that you'll probably not learn & buy the next lot of consoles on release anyway? That's what I get every time

TxdoHawk

I'm sort of pissed off that I bought the Xbox One day one and then this shit happens.

Great move to get new customers, bad move to screw over your existing ones...

Buying a console at launch is (unfortunately) almost always a raw deal in one way or another, whether it's the price you pay, iffy launch games...or being an unwitting beta-tester of hardware (RRoD/YLoD).

Barzul

Tbh I think Microsoft is going to purchase the rights to future Titanfall titles after this. They seem very invested in the IP. Probably a similar deal to what they had with Epic and Gears.

Prine

Banned
If you live in the UK, and you already bought an Xbox One, Microsoft just put a big knife in your back.

Amazing...

Tbh I think Microsoft is going to purchase the rights to future Titanfall titles after this. They seem very invested in the IP. Probably a similar deal to what they had with Epic and Gears.

If this is a blockbuster for them, im expecting the series to remain with MS, i bet EA are sitting back counting stacks while they even leave the marketing to MS.

Lewpy

Banned
Wont happen. EA doesnt own Respawn or the IP, and I doubt they want their game to be limited to one fan base for the entirety of its life. Titanfall 2 will no doubt be on PS4 as well.

I'm not saying it will, however to flat out say it won't is a little short sighted. Honestly I didn't think the first title was fodder for exclusivity given the publisher and the origins of the team attached to it, but here we are.

With enough money you can buy anything, it just depends on how much Microsoft are willing to throw at it and how much EA are willing to sell that exclusivity for.

I think that both of your views could easily happen and you'd both be correct despite going on the record with your disagreement.

Titanfall will sell consoles. Yes, I also believe that it will.

But will it sell enough consoles to begin to turn the tide for the Xbone against the PS4? Frankly no. I think MS are hoping for some kind of Gears still smash that will propel the Xbone into some new momentum with the buying public. I don't think it will.

As where do you go to put these points 'on record'? Do you have to PM a mod? Do they charge an administration fee?

I didn't know that was what was being discussed. About it turning the tide against Sony. I thought it was more of a great game is dropping and people are going to buy an X1 to play it.

And I believe our post unedited are on the record. ;)

If MS was confident it would move sales as much as they want then why would they give it away for free?
Probably because it's an awesome move to make bundling one of your most anticipated games of the year. We've known and assumed for a while now that TF would have a pack in bundle with a console. Why wouldn't it? This is the new Halo for MS right now. This is putting Mario in every console you have so people play it and have the reaction almost all people playing it have had. That it is an awesome game and one of the best FPS games to grace consoles.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
I reckon they will offer a launch retail title for free and 3 months of Gold. Ryse, Forza or Dead Rising.
I hope not, I own all three and have just bought a 12 month subscription! TBH I could see that happening or nothing at all sadly.

Salex_

Competition is good.

See what happens when there's a clear difference in sales? If you're a consumer, don't wish for sales parity. Let's see what happens next.

Zornack

Probably because it's an awesome move to make bundling one of your most anticipated games of the year. We've known and assumed for a while now that TF would have a pack in bundle with a console. Why wouldn't it? This is the new Halo for MS right now. This is putting Mario in every console you have so people play it and have the reaction almost all people playing it have had. That it is an awesome game and one of the best FPS games to grace consoles.

You keep talking about how awesome Titanfall is. Do you not think it's awesome enough to buy an Xbox One for?

And a pack in 4 months after release usually cost more than the console sold for at release. This is not a normal pack in.

faridmon

Still not as cheap as it should. £350 is a good price point.
Although it does come with a free game so that should make it more appealing.

i dont think it works that way.respawn has to agree to sell it to MS.MS got gears because Epic games agreed to it.

cakely

#game-changer...

MS has UK and NA locked down imo...although i would have preferred they just made the One as powerful as possible and stayed at ₤429/US$499, going for the kill instead of being reactive since they will lose money anyhow. This move leaves things dangling, you still will have games being held back by a weaker console, but the increased sales means more bargaining power to undercut PS4 development.

bad times, sad times.

Locked down ... for Sony? I'm not sure what you're saying. You know that the Playstation 4 has been outselling the Xbox One by 2-1 in the UK, right? And that January went 2-1 for Sony in the US?

Oh, never mind. I see you called the Xbox One "The One". Carry on.

The PS2 wasn't the most powerful console in the GC/Xbox era either but it managed to have a fantastic diverse range of titles and exclusives.

This is the generation where utter garbage like Knack outsold the new Super Mario 3D World so I'm not sure MS are very worried about Nintendo either.

You're missing the fact that PS2 came out more than a year ahead of those consoles.

This price cut should definitely help, but to what extent I don't know. When the console isn't selling even with a bundled Fifa, it makes things hard to predict.

ironcreed

Banned
Early adopters who complain about this are pretty bad at early adopting.

Indeed. I have never got (or expected) anything free after something I decided to buy early dropped in price sooner than expected. Everyone is complaining that it is priced too high and sales reflect that, so they responded in kind.

It's like they are damned because it was too high and now they are damned for making it a better deal. Early adopters always pay a premium and price drops follow. Sooner rather than later if sales are low. It is what it is and that is a chance you take.

Barzul

i dont think it works that way.respawn has to agree to sell it to MS.MS got gears because Epic games agreed to it.

I don't mean they buy the IP. MS could just make sure say the next 3 titles are Xbox exclusive (a la Gears before the IP purchase) and by then Titanfall is heavily associated with Xbox and they get that mindshare. I don't think it would be terribly expensive too.

longdi

Banned
Locked down ... for Sony? I'm not sure what you're saying. You know that the Playstation 4 has been outselling the Xbox One by 2-1 in the UK, right? And that January went 2-1 for Sony in the US?

Oh, never mind. I see you called the Xbox One "The One". Carry on.

because The One had no games previously this big enough?
because The One was a little more expensive then?

TF is going to be big for MS, in US and UK. Sony has nothing to show for. PS4 has enjoyed the front loaded core gamers sales. Now is the time for dudebros to jump on board, and guess which one would they choose? I expect 3:1 in Mar and 1.5:1 going for the next few months.

Portugeezer

Now imagine if that was £349 without Kinect

£349 with a game included would be great, but I don't believe they would do that. Bundled games act as a faux price drop before they announce official worldwide price drops, although this time there is also a £25 real price drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom