• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One sold 23k during launch week in Japan, TitanFall best-selling title

I don't get it. Can someone explain why Microsoft even decided to launch the Xbox One in Japan? I mean, I don't think many of us are analysts here on Gaf, but even we knew it would bomb. Are they even turning in a profit at all with this launch?

Lol

Considering all the extra costs for Japanese localisation there can't surely be any possible way x bone is gonna be profitable in Japan

Jamix012

Ah, I'm excited to see the Xbox One's weekly battles with the Vita TV. Should be a good one. This is a monumental disaster, I'm not sure the console will break 250k LTD with those sorts of launch figures...

I don't get it. Can someone explain why Microsoft even decided to launch the Xbox One in Japan? I mean, I don't think many of us are analysts here on Gaf, but even we knew it would bomb. Are they even turning in a profit at all with this launch?

Having to keep up appearances that they can sell in japan, because admitting to giving up knowing noone there wants one would be bad PR for their system.

With that 2 billion dollar minecraft rumor, they could have given away over 200 japanese launches worth of xbox ones at 400 dollars:p

I could've sworn someone predicted 50k. Looks like that didn't happen. Can't wait to see the overall performance of all games and systems this week.

Chariot

Just picked the predictions of the So the Xbox One launches today in Japan... thread. There were surprisingly few when ignoring the Kaz quote.

It might do 50-60K, but scorched Earth dude!?
Too high.

5k first week.
<150k lifetime.
Too low.

I'm thinking five figures, like 25,000. And then a major drop to 2,000 the next week.

These numbers are based on zero market research and have been pulled from deep within my buttocks.
Pretty good. Trustworthy buttocks.
So any news on why they are releasing like 2 or 3 days early?

I'll throw around 400-500k just for the lols. With my more realistic guess being 200-300k............ Just for the lols.
Mhm.

Occam

I hope this serves as a wake-up call for any Japanese companies considering to create Xbone exclusives for Japan. Any game going only to Xbone in Japan and not PS4 is going there to die.
Good thing that Japanese doujin game creators seem to have seen the light already, and the announcement of a new 2D shooter by the creator of Ikaruga for PS4 is making me hopeful.

Kinyou

I hope this serves as a wake-up call for any Japanese companies considering to create Xbone exclusives for Japan. Any game going only to Xbone in Japan and not PS4 is going there to die.
Good thing that Japanese doujin game creators seem to have seen the light already, and the announcement of a new 2D shooter by the creator of Ikaruga for PS4 is making me hopeful.
They probably got some good money for making an exclusive, so maybe they don't even care that much

Madao

someone needs to make a .gif with that scene when Captain Ginyu takes over Goku's body, powers up and asks Jeice about his power level and then gets told he just has 23k power level when he was expecting like 180k and replace the Captain with an Xbone.

bosseye

Hardly unexpected. The real news will be what the drop off rate is - off a cliff to 3k this week or a slow decline through the thousands over the next couple of months?

Whats PS4 doing week on week at the moment, about 7k, something like that?

SerTapTap

So Cave won't make all their games Xbox One exclusive, warping the landscape so all shmups hit Xbox first this time? ...if Cave still makes ports.

Ludist210

I knew it would be bad, but this bad? Did the One in XBox One stand for the number of consoles it expected to sell?
(I kid, but that's terrible.)

Occam

They probably got some good money for making an exclusive, so maybe they don't even care that much

They (and you) need to think long-term, as in, potential sequels. Money-hats are usually one-time things, as demonstrated by the Japanese RPGs that came to 360 near the start of last gen.

That's a shame, I thought it would be a flamboyant success after seeing that crowd waiting in line to get one.

KzpjSnZ.png

That room would be approximately 0.2% of the Xbox installed base in Japan.

Rymuth

Maybe Toemon will finally shut up about X1 and Japan.
You referring to this?

My prediction is as written, based on multiple trend, financial and environmental fsctorsd the following:

Xbox One will do over 50k but less than 101k

Ps4 will go down

Wii U will be close to stable.

Top 2 selling games will most likely not be console related.

This is a very cautious prediction.prepared in case we get some surprises. Or if we dont get any.
Still not sure how less than 100k and more than 50k is considered cautious. I personally would have gone over 30k and even that was off.

Scalebound could very well be making wonderful 101 look like yokai watch

Poor Platinum, I mean they are getting paid regardless I guess, but they have had rough luck lately. Maybe Capcom will throw some money at them for a modern Megaman or Omnimusha and they can find some commercial success again.

danmaku

So Cave won't make all their games Xbox One exclusive, warping the landscape so all shmups hit Xbox first this time? ...if Cave still makes ports.

They don't have anything else to port, DDP Saidaioujou was their last arcade game. Besides, if MS pays for a new game I don't think they'll say no. It's just unrealistic that MS will try again to get small Japanese devs support. As long as they have the big guys (Konami, Capcom, Square, Namco), they're fine.

Kinyou

They (and you) need to think long-term, as in, potential sequels. Money-hats are usually one-time things, as demonstrated by the Japanese RPGs that came to 360 near the start of last gen.
I guess the only smart thing to do is to have these exclusive games aimed at the western market anyway. That there's an Xbox exclusive visual novel coming up is a bit bonkers.

Oh dear this is bad alright but I didn't expect anything great. If I can see anything positive in that... all the Japanese XBOX One exclusive might eventually become multiplatform sooner or later?

GodofWine

Wonder if this pushed them over the edge in their decision matrix that deals with when to spend the emergency $2billion.

Japan - lost
Europe - lost
NA - losing

September is going to be a huge PS4 win...and critical momentum headed into the critical second holiday season is squarely with Sony.

stryke

You referring to this?

Still not sure how less than 100k and more than 50k is considered cautious. I personally would have gone over 30k and even that was off.

More than that. Shit like X1 selling 2 million in Japan or "let's not write it off until we have numbers" and posting crap from 2chan.

Top Bottom