• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox One Tour has started - check the map for demo truck locations and dates

derFeef

Heh, I can't edit and copy since it's closed, would have to rearrange the whole text. And I am not sure, it's there to read and I linked it - don't want to spam as I got called out already enough imo :/

Doffen

Heh, I can't edit and copy since it's closed, would have to rearrange the whole text. And I am not sure, it's there to read and I linked it - don't want to spam as I got called out already enough imo :/

Sticks and stones, friend. Sticks and stones.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
An incorrect initial post doesn't mean a corrected follow up gets counted as spam. :p

BXAN2diIAAAcbWq.jpg

I was at the Xbox One Area One event today and got to play around with the games and the Xbox for about 3 hours.
First things first, I am an avid PC gamer, recently got a 1440p monitor and have a beefy setup, keep that in mind ;)

Also bad english incoming :p

Location was sadly a bit bad, there were windows in the ceiling and all TVs got that reflecting panel so it was hard to see sometimes, I tried to get to the good setups.

Box:
It's not that big as it seems like in pictures actually, but those kits were already dirty as hell, those have seen some rough times for sure.
Kinect is a bit bulky, but will not be a problem for me.

Controller:
Feels great in the hand, alls fears washed away! It's a bit smaller so I feared for my large hands, but no problem at all since the bottom is now much better.

The sticks are a bit looser, but that's great since the "sticky" feel of the 360 sticks worried me sometimes, they are def. not as loose as the DS3 ones though.
I was kinda surprised when looking at them from the side. They are titled a bit upwards, like 2 degrees or something. First I thought it's a manufactoring fault but it actually helps with the thumbs clicking the sticks in - neat touch.

Triggers are looser as well, and I was surprised that they felt a bit smaller than the 360 ones actually, on images they look huge. But oh my the rumble in there is fantastic! It's a very fine rumble and it's not getting in your way at all.
The only games that used them were FOrza 5 and Crimson Dragon. There were a few setups that had triggers seemingly in bad shape, not sure what is up with that, other ones felt tight and good. I guess it's still unfinished hardware, or at least I hope.

Bumpers have more click to them, need a bit more pressure than the 360 ones, I liked them, nothing to complain or note.
Buttons are the buttons, as good as always.

D-Pad is as already known a huge improvement, but it felt a bit small - I have huge thumbs though ;) It has a good click to it, love it!

The games I actually played:

Battlefield 4
Def. not 1080p, might as well be 720p. Ran super smooth though and textures looked actually good. No comparison to the PC beta for sure, this is a console game.
It was a smaller map with a helicopter crash, 24 players. Was the first game I played and already loved the controller there.
Game seems fine and it might improve in the final version, but I will play this on PC.

Loco Cycle
That was a very fun demo! I really enjoyed that and I might have to buy it now. It's a very easy game though, but that could really be the demo or first level.
It cuts you off before you encounter a boss. Graphics are sharp and it has a cartoony look, don't expect anything mindblowing graphically, though the animations of the bike and the guy are neat.

Crimson Dragon
<3 <3 <3 <3
The look, the sounds, and the music in this are just great. I played the demo 3 times as it was so much fun - and getting that higher score ;)
This also had the rumble triggers enabled, was neat to fire your missiles off. I don't agree at all with the "this looks like a 360 game".
It has huge environments, good textures, neat effects and runs fluid. That's a buy for sure!

Max - The Curse of Brotherhood
Gorgeous! I am not sure what resolution that ran on, might have been 1080p, the graphics were comparable to Trine 2 on the PC, looks fantastic. Now the gameplay is a bit of a mixed bag.
It's actually a very slow platformer and the platforming feels a little bit like Little Big Planet, which can be bothersome if you have to do precise timings.
The Marker element is a neat touch, but the controls could be improved as it's not really intuitive what you have to do sometimes.

Peggle 2
It's Peggle .... ;) Silly and fun, looks nice.

Dead Rising 3
My most wanted launch game. I played that alone for an hour for sure - over and over again. The demo was time limited so you had to restart and the area was blocked off.
I am actually impressed by the graphics here, not the resolution as it's clearly not as sharp as some other games, but the texture work and lighting, paired with the amount of zombies on screen and stuff you can do, damn!
Zombies have many details and you can slice them in gruesome ways, which can lead to nasty things, I love it.

Combining weapons and vehicles is fun as hell - just press RB and see what you can do. My favourite weapon might have been the gloves for sure, was fun doing the spinning attack.
Combat feels much more meaty than in the previous Dead Rising games, there is a nice oomph to the attacks. The throw attack is awesome as always - special attacks are fun as hell.
And oh, now I know where those gunshots came from in some videos - zombie cops are holding shotguns and firearms, which can lead to funny moments as the might hit their buddies when they try to shoot.

One thing that I did not hear mentioned anywhere was the sound and music. Nick responds to stuff happening in front of him, which is a neat touch.
If you approach a horde he is going to say stuff like "oh boy, this is going to be bad" (paraphrasing...) and so on. When you put on the knight armor, you can hear the metal clanging when you move,
just like in Dark Souls or Monster Hunter, it's good stuff. The music is good as well, dynamically changes when you are in danger and so on.

I could write much more about that game - I want it now!

Ryse
Most impressive game there in terms of graphics, could as well be a PC game. Textures are great, shadows are soft, antialiasing is present, just sharp looking.
It was the arena demo but you could only play it solo, which is maybe the reason I could not finish one single game, I always got slaughtered.
The entry to the Colosseum is great and at first I thought it was a movie, but it straight cuts to the action and you control the gladiator, I actually said wow there.

Gameplay is not as bad as I feared. You have your two attacks, a roll, and your shield bash, which you can also use to taunt - neat. If you see an incoming attack, press A and the fighter turns to the attacking barbarian and blocks it.
It looks janky, but actually feels good. My favourite combo might be the kick attack, which just catapults the barbarians back - it looks a bit funny but has a nice impact.
You have your god power on RB, which you can choose efore the match. I tried dmg bonus and heal over time bonus, which was a waste since it seems to only count for your coop buddies and not yourself.

So yeah, keeping that preorder, the SP graphics might be spectacular in this and combat is not really bad. If it has further improved since this bild, even better!

Killer Instinct
Clearly 720p and might have actually no antialiasing, not sure. Graphics are fantastic otherwise, sharp textures, great looking models, neat particle effects - that game would look specatuclar in 1080p.

But man it's 60fps smooth and fun. The Xbox guys there playing had no idea how the game worked and I got some tips from Max in the KI thread, after a few rounds I managed to pull of some nice combos with Sabrewulf, like up to 40 hits (lol I know... will get better for sure ;) Thunder's stage is great when it starts to rain - otherwise it might be the dullest looking stage.
Sabrewulf might be my favourite character in this, but maybe just because I won matches with him ;)

Oh lord the sound and music in this game was giving me shivers. The dynamic music, hit sounds and character noises add another level to the game.

I tried it with the controller and the (unfinished) fight stick. The D-Pad works great, but somehow it was easier for me to pull of the QC moves with the analogue sticks than the D-Pad, not sure why.
The fight stick is clearly the way to go here, but it's also very fun on the controller, no worries! Will buy and main Wulf :D

Forza 5
It was the Laguna Seca build and I drove with different cars and different difficulties. First of all the game looks gorgeous overall. The cars looks very nice and you can see the orange peel in the paint, very impressive.
It's smooth as butther and very sharp. The cockpit view is impressive and reflections on the windshield are a nice touch. There was a bug in this build tough whre the lighting all goes dark sometimes - switching views solved that.
The reflections on the cars are not as "mirror-like" as I thought they would be, judging from videos, they actually are a bit blurred and again, you can see the orange peel - wow again!

Now to the bad things - there are some really weird aliasing issues in that build. The track, cars and offroad details are good looking during the race, but the road marks are flickering and shimmering,
as if they were another layer and are not recieving the same AA method as the rest of the game. I mean the helicopter and power lines are showing almost no aliasing, so I really don't understand what's going on there.

The sound is as expected really great, cars sound fantastic and beastly, tire screeches are improved from FM4 as well.
Overall a great sounding and looking game, with some issues in the details - which I hope are getting sorted ot.​

The games I just saw:

Fifa ... it's Fifa... not interested, sorry. Looks okay though ;)

Kinect Sports Rivals.
That water racing game looks mighty impressive and Kinect seems to work really well, from what I could tell. I need to see more games before I think of a purchase.

Zoo Tycoon.
They only had one stand for that game and I did not get to play it. The graphics are gorgeous but the framerate was really bad, especially if you are in the "strategy and placing" mode. Hope they improve on that, as the game looks fun.

Dance thingy.
..... ;)

If you have questions just ask away, I am sure I forgot something.

Dead Rising 3
My most wanted launch game. I played that alone for an hour for sure - over and over again. The demo was time limited so you had to restart and the area was blocked off.
I am actually impressed by the graphics here, not the resolution as it's clearly not as sharp as some other games, but the texture work and lighting, paired with the amount of zombies on screen and stuff you can do, damn!
Zombies have many details and you can slice them in gruesome ways, which can lead to nasty things, I love it.

Combining weapons and vehicles is fun as hell - just press RB and see what you can do. My favourite weapon might have been the gloves for sure, was fun doing the spinning attack.
Combat feels much more meaty than in the previous Dead Rising games, there is a nice oomph to the attacks. The throw attack is awesome as always - special attacks are fun as hell.
And oh, now I know where those gunshots came from in some videos - zombie cops are holding shotguns and firearms, which can lead to funny moments as the might hit their buddies when they try to shoot.

One thing that I did not hear mentioned anywhere was the sound and music. Nick responds to stuff happening in front of him, which is a neat touch.
If you approach a horde he is going to say stuff like "oh boy, this is going to be bad" (paraphrasing...) and so on. When you put on the knight armor, you can hear the metal clanging when you move,
just like in Dark Souls or Monster Hunter, it's good stuff. The music is good as well, dynamically changes when you are in danger and so on.

I could write much more about that game - I want it now!

To echo what I said in the locked thread, this sounds amazing to me.

So tempting to buy an X1 this year instead of waiting. Not sure how I'm going to resist that temptation if I happen to be in Game before Christmas and they have some stock...

derFeef

Thanks for the impressions Feef.
How would u compare BF4 graphics with lets say BF3 ultra on PC? Is it close or not even close?

Hard to tell as the map was a complete new one. I can't give you an honest answer really or tell you more like I did in the OP. It DEF looks a lot better than those BF4 beta shots on current gen consoles judging by gun and ground textures for example. A higher resolution would do wonders.

edit: I guess if you put it that way, it's not comparable to the PC version of BF3 - it just lacks the resolution.

To echo what I said in the locked thread, this sounds amazing to me.

So tempting to buy an X1 this year instead of waiting. Not sure how I'm going to resist that temptation if I happen to be in Game before Christmas and they have some stock...

Heh, I am not going to tell you what or when you should buy something. Ask me about the game instead, I played a lot of that demo :D

UNCMark

Banned
How many different tours is MS running? Bus tour, mall tour, MS store tour, and whatever the heck this event you were at was? Or was this a mall event?

Rey

Hard to tell as the map was a complete new one. I can't give you an honest answer really or tell you more like I did in the OP. It DEF looks a lot better than those BF4 beta shots on current gen consoles judging by gun and ground textures for example. A higher resolution would do wonders.

edit: I guess if you put it that way, it's not comparable to the PC version of BF3 - it just lacks the resolution.

Heh, I am not going to tell you what or when you should buy something. Ask me about the game instead, I played a lot of that demo :D

Thanks.
I really have no idea what to expect from the new BF on the next gen consoles. I'm hoping for BF3 Ultra PC graphics but I'm afraid its just going to be a bit better than last gen because of the higher res and 64 players, and that would be a disappointment for me because I hate how BF3 looks on 360.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just a note: I wouldn't think of this as an Impression thread from the title. This just seems like an information thread. Maybe someone can update the title so we know there's more conversation that "It's coming to my area, I'll go tomorrow!" happening in here...?

defFeef, very nice impressions! Microsoft is doing NOTHING to promote Max and the Magic Marker (or LocoCycle), so I was kind of surprised to even see impressions of it, ha."LBP-like controls" doesn't really sound all that great to me, but it's something I'll be sure to demo, if one is available.

Glad you finally got to KI in person :)

*Cheers for Crimson Dragon* It's nice to hear thoughts on the game that aren't laced with "looks like a 360 game, LAWLS!" all over it. Having seen it on the PlayXBLA stream a few times, I find myself occasionally impressed by the graphics there, but more so just being enchanted by the fact that a game like this is a launch game in 2013. SEGA-Blue skies, Tech and areas that look like they could have been ripped out of Skies of Arcadia, fun unlockables, epic boss battles with larger-than-life enemies... I guess PS4 has something similar in ResoGun, but the characterization and world on display here just SCREAM "Gaming at it's classic Best" to me, which just feels great.

Great stuff with DR 3 too; I can see where your feeling are coming from, especially after watching the Gamersyde footage the other day. No matter what happens, that game seems like it'll offer an excellent playground of combat; Kinda like Mercenaries, but more FIGHT, less Build DESTROY...
==

I guess I have to look back through this thread to see more impressions! Nice bits of info to each person's views, and a lot of these games are getting next to no Media attention...

eso76

Damn! Are all of those really quotes from those who tried it so far? I knew that impressions were mixed, but not this! LOL. I guess playing it ourselves is going to be the only way to judge!

yes, btw, those are all actual quotes from this and other threads.

I've read everything and the complete opposite :)

EvB

EvB post your impressions in here!

So I got to have a go on an Xbox One tonight and I thought I would share my impressions, however limited they may be.
I was mainly interested in just getting a grip on the new pad, the part that I will be spending the most time with over the next generation.

The controller itself felt very much like the 360 pad, the "handles" were maybe a little thinner or pointer, my little finger and ringer finger seem to grip around a little closer to my the padded part of my hand, this was the first thing I noticed just holding the pad, it felt a little different.

The bumpers are definitely the biggest change to the overall feel that they have made, they are a little wider and despite being closer to the triggers, felt like you actually hand to move your fingers a little further from trigger to bumper.
If you are a player who uses their trigger finger on the bumpers and middle finger on the triggers, then I think you will find this a huge improvement over the 360 pad.

The dpad, I'm not a big dPad user for any games and have had the rotating dPads on my primary pads for a few years now, the Xbox One dPad does feel distinctly better to press, it has a very solid , "high quality" feel to it with a very distinct micro switch click in all 8 directions.

The guide button is almost flush with the main body of the pad and again has a distinct click to it, certainly clicky and less spongey than the current guide button.

The analogues, these were really hard to quantify and describe these, I have read they they are higher and they are smaller, but the only thing again that I could really feel was just how solid and response they felt. I couldn't really notice any difference how stiff/slack they were compared to the 360, but the motion itself felt both smoother and the dead zone was almost no existent, I'm used to that little 2mm wobble in the middle of both the 360 pad and DS3 sticks.
Overall it just feels better and just feels as I would expect a decent pad to feel.

The rumble. The rumble....

I think I am in love with the rumble, I was trying Forza, which seemed to be the only game that really supported it, but it was really effective. The motors in the triggers themselves really provide a sensation totally unlike any any controller I've ever used. Although they weren't giving any actual push back, they genuinely felt like it on several occasions, I can liken it to the effect of a force feedback steering wheel, except it's not doing the same thing at all.
It's something you really need to feel for yourself, I'm hoping that some shooters will make use of it as it should really add an extra layer of solid feeling to pulling the trigger on a gun or picking a lock.
Straight away you could really feel not only the bass style rumble coming from deep within the pad the very controlled triggers but the very direct force coming from the trigger motors. It was kind of like rumble surround sound, you could see that the duplication of the motors and repositioning of them really allows the sensation to be felt on either the left or right of the pad and then then front and the back.
Very very cool.

The games seemed to be older builds, the Ryse demo was listed as Gamescom.
The TV's they were using had every puketastic "feature" turned on with the exception of motion interpolation, Sharpess was at +1000 it seemed, so the picture quality was pretty disgusting and it made it difficult to discern certain things such as resolution.

Dead Rising 3
I'd not been following this, but I was really blown away by how much better it looked than Dead Rising 2, which I had recently been playing. The framerate itself was surprisingly good, I only saw it slow down on a couple of occasions, but even with several hundred zombies on screen it didn't seem to break a sweat, I can't say that I saw any tearing, which was surprising given that the initial demos were awful for it.
I did see a digger ping miles into the air and land on some zombies in a spectacular physics glitch.
The lighting and number of enemies was a big step up from the previous games.

Forza 5
It's Forza.
Framerate was superb and it was fun to play, I was too busy being amazed by the rumble in the triggers.

Ryse
Played the Colosseum co-op mode with a friend and actually really really enjoyed it, the presentation of even this mode was very good, it actually looked like FMV at times.
It was hard to know exactly what I was doing, I didn't feel that button bashing was really helping me at all when I was overwhelmed by 5 enemies, but initiating an execution was really satisfying.

Killer Instinct
silky Smooth and I am terrible at fighting games so I find it very difficult to say anything that would be of use about this game. It was clearly really very detailed as the awful TV sharpening made everything look rank.

Actually getting to play the games first hand was nice as was playing with the pad and seeing the machine in the flesh( which was actually sitting inside an ikea expedit unit.) was great and it kind of took the actual the artificial hype and expectations away to leave me feeling actually pretty serene. It's a games console that plays games and I like games.

also security guard fail:

"no touching or photos"
Like that has ever stopped me!

Was also at said lock in event with EvB above.

The main thing for me was just getting some hands on with the actual controller. The announced rumble triggers sounded cool but wasn't sure what to expect, very pleased to say it feels really good and actually adds to the experience. D-pad was surprisingly clicky and felt good whilst playing KI, a lot better than 360 d-pad.

Killer Instinct was 60fps smooth, overwhelmingly insane though. Will definitely pick it up and get back into some vs fighting action.

Forza was also silly smooth although did notice frame drops maybe sub 30fps on mirrors. Only allowed 1 lap.

Only thing I will say is TV calibrations need to be sorted out at these type of things, some of the colours were shocking especially in comparison to some direct feeds shown already.

Biggest game of the night was Dead Rising 3, staff went round several times asking if anyone wanted to play KI and most people turned it down. Did hear a few people say, after playing, they had reconsidered Ryse after initially writing it off.

nordique

I tried it out in Calgary today

Controller was much better than impressions led me to believe. Didn't like the sticks but I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it

Graphics was a huge, huge let down. Not impressed in the slightest with what I saw. Nothing remotely blew me away. Forza 5 and Killer Instinct both look like they could have passed for 360 games.

This is my opinion however. I'm sure the games are technically better but to my casual eyes, it was meaningless.

MAX PAYMENT

Controller was much better than impressions led me to believe. Didn't like the sticks but I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it

Graphics was a huge, huge let down. Not impressed in the slightest with what I saw. Nothing remotely blew me away. Forza 5 and Killer Instinct both look like they could have passed for 360 games.

This is my opinion however. I'm sure the games are technically better but to my casual eyes, it was meaningless.

At least I'm not the only one that thinks next gen looks weak sauce.

Which Xbox360 game can match Killer instinct in terms of effects?

I mean, injustice is the closest in looks to Killer instinct and even from crappy youtube looks, Killer Instinct looks way more visually impressive

vg260

I got back from one of these a little bit earlier. I mainly went to check out the controller and KI.

I came away liking the controller overall, probably a little bit more than the 360 one because of how comfortable it was. Overall the improved d-pad was a bigger improvement than the bumpers were a regression. I was able to actually play KI, which would have been a disaster on the 360's god-awful d-pad.

On the bumpers, this was my main concern:
cQwAmDo.jpg

The entire thing up to the blue line is part of thebumper, but only the red part can really be pushed down.

So, yeah, that's pretty much how they are. They are less like the old bumper and remind me of a very clicky mouse button. Kinda like a mouse button on one of these, but a little harder to press:
logitech_mx500.png

It had very little throw and was very clicky, very much like the shoulder button on a Saturn pad. So you do have to press the bumper with the middle of your finger than the fingertip because the pivot is on the blue line. Also note in the pic it makes it looks like that whole bar at top on a head on view is the button, but it's really not.

However, it's not quite as bad as I thought it would be. That is because of the controller shape. The pad is sloped inward to a much narrower point at top of the controller than the 360. You can't really lift your finger to press it with your fingertips without awkwardly having to pull your pointer fingers out a great deal. It's not like the DS3 where your fingers float freely. Your fingers are kind of locked into the position where your only real comfortable way of hitting them is with the middle of your finger. Fortunately, it's pretty comfortable. It's hard to describe, but maybe that helps.

It's not ideal, and not super easy to press, but not terrible either. Still, I fell like it's a bad design to lock one end on a pivot.

The stick stiffeness is in between a 360 and DS3 pad. The looseness might take some adjustment. I really liked the thumbstick tops.

The triggers felt pretty good to me. Less stiff than the 360, but still felt like the same throw distance. I preferred the One's.

Overall, an improvement, to me because I want the option to play fighters on a pad. I can't on the 360. It's not the best d-pad ever but usable. However it felt like it was a little more awkward to jump from the analog stick to the d-pad quickly.

I played a little Forza, and the trigger rumble was kinda neat. I hated when the Sixaxis dropped rumble, and have to have some kind. But the extra rumble didn't really wow me.

As far as the games, I only played a few, but checked them all out, and I am just not impressed. Forza looked nice, but as others mentioned, there is aliasing, if that bothers you. I'm terrible at racers, so I can't comment on anything else.

What I played of Dead Rising 3 was fun, and if I had a One, I'd pick it up. Frame rate was serviceable, tons of zombies, and the resolution hurt it, but it did look noticeably better than the previous ones otherwise.

The other main reason I went was to see KI, and it was awesome. It's really the only game making me want an Xbox One. I love the character models, music, stages and effects. I didn't know all the system mechanics, but enough to have some really fun matches, and pull off some combos and specials. It looked awesome. However, given all that, the 720p resolution still bothered me. It was the only thing that took away from the luster of the game. It's more an indictment of the system hardware design philosophy, I guess, but it was disappointing, because at 1080p it would look so much better. (I'm one of those 1080p/60 fps people).

That is my main issue with the system. I want to play KI, but the price of entry for a "next-gen" system that can not pull off the next step up in resolution really sours it for me. I bought the original XBox and 360 because they made a powerful system, but I hate the idea of the $100 Kinect tax on this with weaker hardware. (still feeling burned by MS for the points conversion/expiration). I would have much rathered they up the graphics hardware. I do play on the PC, and I'm not obsessed with crazy high resolutions over 1080p. I'm content with 1080p, which doesn't seem like an unreasonable hope, but whatever. I'll keep an eye on KI's development and maybe if there's a price cut and or special store bundle I might jump in. (However, KI is making it reeeaaallly tempting). For now, with a PC, this only seems like a marginally better system than the 360. Yes, I know they are launch games, but that's just how I feel right now.

I'm keeping my One pad pre-order, as I like it enough to use on the PC, plus I got one when Amazon had the controller plus charge kit listed for $60.

kodecraft

So to sum things up

the system is

smaller than ppl thought. It's bigger in person than in pics. huge.

Kinect 2 is huge. Smaller than kinect 1.
Responsive.
lagging.

controller is definitely a step back compared to 360's.
Feels even better than the already great Xbox controller.
too light. Too heavy. Fit perfectly in your hands. But too small. Impulse triggers are incredible. A useless gimmick.
dpad is improved. Dpad is still a joke.

forza.

man, forza looks so amazing.
it looks like a current Gen game.
looks a piece of shit. A piece of shit with jaggies on it.
no one could mistake it for a current Gen game.
at 1080 60p it looks unbelievable.

overall, system is underwhelming, showing lots of potential. Extremely disappointing, with great looking games and a solid line up.

hmm..

This whole post is a big "WTF"?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, apparently this is the official pre-launch impressions thread... i had no idea. can we get a mod title edit to reflect this?

How would u compare BF4 graphics with lets say BF3 ultra on PC? Is it close or not even close?

Not even close. For starters the game is running at 720p on XB1. I was not impressed at all with the graphics, or really the gameplay for that matter.

Razdek

Banned

I agree, those two games don't show what next gen can do as it looks like a cleaner version of current gen games. I haven't been impressed with what I've seen on PS4 either so maybe my expectations were too high, The controller felt good though so the criticisms to me were over exaggerated.

Razdek

Banned
Which Xbox360 game can match Killer instinct in terms of effects?

I mean, injustice is the closest in looks to Killer instinct and even from crappy youtube looks, Killer Instinct looks way more visually impressive

You need to see it in person and you'll see that aside from the particles the game could've been made for current gen pretty easily. I had fun playing it and the dpad was easy to pull off moves so it's a game that I'll get on launch.

You need to see it in person and you'll see that aside from the particles the game could've been made for current gen pretty easily. I had fun playing it and the dpad was easy to pull off moves so it's a game that I'll get on launch.

Yeah, I'm still surprised that game only runs at 720p.

No....I shouldn't. One of the complaints many have with next gen currently is that it doesn't look like "next-gen". Basically, on the PS4 and Xbox launches, other than RYSE, everyone seems to think the launch games are "nothing more than a Xbox 360/PS3 game".

There have been over 900 retail xbox 360 games and about half that number in digital downloads. Given that large swath of games, it should be easy to find a Xbox 360 fighting game that looks as visually impressive as Killer Instinct. Yet, the last fighting games released on the 360 was Injustice...

*compares injustice to killer instinct visually*

NOPE.

Killer Instince completely smokes Injustice visually. And this extends to the PS4 as well. Contrast visually the feeds of the gameplay of Killzone:SF on the PS4 with the gameplay feeds of Killzone 3. There's no comparison at all, as SF outright spanks it in every detail.

Is everyone on GAF rocking at least $300 cards at the time of sale for their PC? I mean, look at the breakdown that Steam has for its users...what percentage o them actually have setups that could match even the WiiU.

Razdek

Banned
No....I shouldn't. One of the complaints many have with next gen currently is that it doesn't look like "next-gen". Basically, on the PS4 and Xbox launches, other than RYSE, everyone seems to think the launch games are "nothing more than a Xbox 360/PS3 game".

There have been over 900 retail xbox 360 games and about half that number in digital downloads. Given that large swath of games, it should be easy to find a Xbox 360 fighting game that looks as visually impressive as Killer Instinct. Yet, the last fighting games released on the 360 was Injustice...

*compares injustice to killer instinct visually*

NOPE.

Killer Instince completely smokes Injustice visually. And this extends to the PS4 as well. Contrast visually the feeds of the gameplay of Killzone:SF on the PS4 with the gameplay feeds of Killzone 3. There's no comparison at all, as SF outright spanks it in every detail.

Is everyone on GAF rocking at least $300 cards at the time of sale for their PC? I mean, look at the breakdown that Steam has for its users...what percentage o them actually have setups that could match even the WiiU.

Ok, whatever you want to make yourself believe that I guess. Squint real hard and count those pixels and polygons all you want on the videos but as someone that has seen it in person the difference is minimal.

Ok, whatever you want to make yourself believe that I guess. Squint real hard and count those pixels and polygons all you want on the videos but as someone that has seen it in person the difference is minimal.

Then again...here's my challenge.

Name a fighting game you think is as visually as impressive as Killer Instinct.

Girl Fight?
Tekken Tag tournament 2?
Dead or Alive 5 ultimate?
Injustice?

All of these 3d fighting games came out in the last year for the 360. The developers knew the 360 machine inside and out by this point in time. One of these games, given the charge "it looks like a 360 game" should easily be a match visually for Killer Instinct.

Admittedly, this is all personal opinion, but not one of these games holds a candle to Killer Instinct. I'm not trying to be a troll but I'm seriously asking for a comparison game that I can safe "ok, Killer instinct looks no better than this game".

Razdek

Banned
Then again...here's my challenge.

Name a fighting game you think is as visually as impressive as Killer Instinct.

Girl Fight?
Tekken Tag tournament 2?
Dead or Alive 5 ultimate?
Injustice?

All of these 3d fighting games came out in the last year for the 360. The developers knew the 360 machine inside and out by this point in time. One of these games, given the charge "it looks like a 360 game" should easily be a match visually for Killer Instinct.

Admittedly, this is all personal opinion, but not one of these games holds a candle to Killer Instinct. I'm not trying to be a troll but I'm seriously asking for a comparison game that I can safe "ok, Killer instinct looks no better than this game".

I'd say it would be more akin to Injustice on a PC with all the details and effects turned on. I don't know if there is even a PC version of Injustice but that's how I'd imagine it. You are not going to look at KI and say "Holy shit, now this is next gen" like you would watching a Ryse cinematic or anything.

I have both a XBOX One and PS4 on pre-order so I'm fine with the games not taking advantage of the systems at launch but they are not on another level from current gen games.

derFeef

Don't let resolution blind you. I doubt that game could run on the 360 with 60fps without cutbacks.

I went over to the Xbox Truck Tour yesterday at Castleton for a bit. Had a lot to do that day (painted front door, Colts game) so I wasn't planning on staying long, and given the situation I ran into, I didn't bother staying too long.

Truck was parked in the mall area that has the worst parking situation (just bitching) so it took me a bit to get there. When I arrived, I had apparently shown up in the middle of a Killer Instinct tournament...except it took five minutes to get people that had signed up earlier to show up and play. So I'm sitting there, wanting to just go up and play KI, but I can't. So that sucked. But the game looked like a lot of fun. Only had a couple of people who looked like they had any idea of how to play, but when they got off nice combos, it was pretty awesome. The contrast or brightness was blasted way high because we were outdoors, so something about the game looked a bit off color wise. I'll be interested to see it in a more informal setting or a kiosk, which hopefully isn't blasted as high.

I only got a chance to play Forza 5, which is bad because I'm not good at racing games and they don't really interest me. What was nice about playing F5 was that I actually got to hold the controller and experience some nice things about it. I was driving fast and then driving horribly, and when I drove poorly, I could feel the rumble in the triggers when I was breaking in the wrong place. That was REALLY enjoyable. I can't wait to see how developers use that for cool little tricks or to make gameplay better. The sticks feel great, the buttons all feel really nice, and I messed around with the Xbox button and I liked how I could go to the menu while the game kept loading. I couldn't do jack shit in the menu in the mode it was in, but it was nice to see how it would work. D pad looked and felt more responsive, but I couldn't try out KI to see how much better it worked. I liked how it clicked when using it. Feels like it will be better for fighting games.

Overall, I wish I had a chance to play KI, but all I had really needed to do for success was experience the controller, which is really nice in my hands. So we'll see how things go in a month or so!

derFeef

^ glad to read similar impressions about the controller and rumble sticks!

Ahhh still thinking about that DR3 sessions...
One funny thing that happened was when I got in a car that was parking under a bridge. Suddenly zombie after zombie dropped from above onto my car. *thunk* *thunk* *moan* and after some moments I had zombies hanging on the hood, the doors and the trunk.

It was one of those moments that only can happen in open world games, and somehow I thought "yep, next gen open world games!" The zombies really seemed hungry and desperate, it also looked great as they behave cool landing on the car and onto themselves. Poor zombies did not see it coming, I was bailing the car after speeding it towards a wall ^^

jbug617

Banned
Major Nelson's schedule this week.

@majornelson: This week's travel schedule: Wednesday I'll be at the new @MicrosoftStore in Orlando, Friday at Area One Atlanta. Weekend: MS Store Edmonton

ckohler

On Sunday, I rode up with my friend to Indy to try out the Xbox One for the first time. I've attached some photos from the event. Overall, I came away impressed. Here are my thoughts:

Controller

My first surprise were that the analog sticks were slightly smaller. I wasn't expecting this. Not super small but we both noticed immediately that they had slightly smaller tops and were shorter than the 360 sticks. However, they felt completely natural and "right". The resistance was good. The cheese grater like textured ridge around their tops is by far my favorite feature of the new controller. It makes loosing your grip pretty much impossible and it feels so nice under thumb.

The triggers also surprised me. I was actually expecting these to be a problem because of their new "fatter" shape. However, they were excellent. I was actually taken aback at just how good and similar the triggers felt to the 360's, even though they are much fatter. The shape hugs your index fingers well and I didn't have to exert any additional effort to press them. The shape fits your fingers fine and alleviated any worries I had immediately.

The bumpers were probably my only major concern. They are quite different from the 360 and sit more on the "corners" of the pad versus the top. So, you have to press them more with the base of your index finger than with your index finger tips. This may be something that I could simply adjust to in time but the change did feel awkward to me.

The d-pad felt really good and the click action was a welcome surprise versus the spongey rocker action of the 360 pad. I think the d-pad will be debated by some here, but for me, it was what I would want. I don't ever play games using solely the d-pad for direction; just as a way to switch weapons, access game options, etc. For this purpose, the d-pad is a vast improvement because of the clear tactile feedback you get from clicking it and there is far less chance of selecting a corner versus a specific direction.

Finally, the build quality of the controller was also impressive. I gave it the "twist test" where I gripped it firmly and tried to twist the plastic in my hand. I simply could not. Not only did it not budge, the plastic didn't creak what-so-ever! This thing is built like a brick and feels almost like a solid piece of weighty plastic giving the entire thing a VERY sturdy and VERY premium feeling.

System Software

They only had two games to try at the event: Forza 5 and Killer Instinct. We immediately pressed the guide button to see if we could view the dashboard and were surprised to see it worked! However, there was only a small crowd there at the time and a few Xbox reps watching us who didn't want us messing around in the dash so we didn't dig too deep. I think it was a newer version of the dash than I'd seen in previous photos from these events because it didn't say anything about being an SDK kit. It was just the new dashboard. I did think it was still beta though because when we would pause the game, we wouldn't see the frozen frame of the game in the preview window. It would just show black. My friend tried to boot up Killer Instinct on the machine that we had Forza suspended on and were greeted by a bizarre graphical GPU loading glitch of a bunch of green rectangles, lol. It was trying to boot the game but was having trouble or something. So (I think) we forced it to stop trying to boot KI and then switched back to Forza, and to be honest, I think Forza just resumed! I could be mistaken though and it might have just started reloading the game from scratch but I seriously think it was still running at a menu screen. It was hard to tell on Forza when it was booting versus when it was simply loading because the screens were vague. Navigating the dash didn't seem too laggy but did still feel a bit beta. Suspending and resuming a game was very fast, though.

Forza

Looks good. I liked how the hud elements weren't fixed to the display and moved with the sway of the car although this may be something past games have done. It looked 1080p and was very smooth but I'm not a graphics whore so I don't really have an eye for things like frames-per-second or such. I just know it looked pretty and seemed to control well. This game also made use of the impulse triggers well. You could really feel the two additional rumble effects when running your tires over the vibration strips along the side of the road. I actually smiled when I felt the effect for the first time. The game didn't blow my mind but then again, I'm not really into racers. I will say, however, that the load times were pretty bad, made worse by the fact that there was very little indication on the screen when you could begin. You would have to press A to start after it loaded but only indicated this via a tiny bit of text in the lower right of the screen. So we would wait 20 second or so for it to load only to continue to wait because we didn't notice the prompt to click A to continue.

Killer Instinct

This was fun. It looked really cool and the character designs and animation was great. However, there was pretty much ZERO anti-aliasing. Jaggies everywhere on the character models. Honestly it didn't really bother me but I only mention it here because I am not a graphics whore but I immediately noticed the lack of AA. The good news is that this felt like an old school fighter through and through. No doubt it could be mastered and the load times were snappy...a huge improvement over the Forza demo. I mostly played with the analog stick and found it fun. The stages were cool and the moves, when I would actually get a combo off, were exciting.

Console

The Kinect is much fatter than I thought but not as long as the current-gen version. The box was pretty much exactly the size I expected it to be. Not overly big but not small either. It didn't scream "beast" to me. Just a tinge on the large size but that's probably more to do with the shape than anything.

Final thoughts

Overall, I came away impressed. Let me be clear that while I was a major supporter for the 360 last-gen and only used my PS3 for exclusives, this time I'm going with PS4 as my primary console this next generation and plan to own an Xbox One eventually for its exclusives and possibly for co-op games I can play with my friend. Still, this is not a reflection of the experience I had on Sunday. The Xbox One does impress me and I'm very glad my friend is getting it at launch so I can play with his. Feel free to ask any questions and I can try to answer them.

Really nice impressions in this thread. Hopefully within a week or two some place near me will have demo stations to try this out at.
so, apparently this is the official pre-launch impressions thread... i had no idea. can we get a mod title edit to reflect this?
I second this. People aren't aware this is the impressions thread and I'm surprised a mod hasn't done this yet after recent thread creations.

Top Bottom