• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One wins 3 consecutive months in NPD for the first time, #1 UK, up YoY

nynt9

Sony was up to the same shady shit but they marketed theyre way around it once they saw the fallout. Microsoft wont recover the lead sony built but they have done a pretty good job at repairing their public image. They are clearly trying to rebuild the brand to make sure it hits really strong by the time next gen is upon us.

This is provably untrue bullshit that has been debunked many times but thanks to shitty journalists like Adam Sessler and Ben Kuchera who showed their true colors during the XB1 announcement cycle some people still believe it. smh

Elandyll

Banned
That's not what he said.
He just implied that I developped on what he meant. So... yeah.

When casual Joe goes into a bestbuy and sees 2 consoles, one of which is a slim xbox one S that supports 4k, 4k movie disks and has exclusives games like gears of war, forza horizon on top of the CODs, BF and destinys, its a pretty easy choice.
If the 1S is such a knockout due to the UHD drive, why did Abdiel report so so sales, and why is it dead in the water on Amazon sales rankings?
Perhaps the explanation is elsewhere and what happens in Oct- Dec will tell a different story? We'll see.

You're welcome. I didn't think what you said was that hard to interpret frankly.

ironcreed

Banned
Well, the Xbox One is a great system that has only gotten better. It deserves to do well. Can't wait for Scorpio, which will be my next system that I plan to ride for around 5 years or so.

People are waiting for PS4 Pro? Really?

I was able to pre-order my PS4 Pro pretty easily not long ago and looking at Amazon they're still readily available. Contrast that with the 2TB XB1S that sold out pretty quickly.

If the PS4 Pro was really going to light up the November NPD's, you'd think the pre-orders would be sold out and people would be camping out in front of GameStop for one. Right now I really don't think many normal people know what a PS4 Pro is.

Lucreto

If the UHD really matters would people buy a UHD drive as an addon to the PS4 and PS4 Pro similar to the HDDVD on the 360?

If the 1S is such a knockout due to the UHD drive, why did Abdiel report so so sales, and why is it dead in the water on Amazon sales rankings?
Perhaps the explanation is elsewhere and what happens in Oct- Dec will tell a different story? We'll see.

Well it cant be having so-so sales if its out selling ps4. Unless im not understanding something.

If the UHD really matters would people buy a UHD drive as an addon to the PS4 and PS4 Pro similar to the HDDVD on the 360?

No they'd probably just pick up a $299 Xbox One S instead, which is what's happening now.

I doubt it's because of UHD player for the rise in sales. I have yet to see one UHD bluray for sale. There are very few HDR Tvs available especially in Ireland and I see online that the movies can go for €35 each.

I expect it's more people holding off on their purchase even since the leak back in March or April of the S and Scorpio all buying at the same time.

In the US even Walmart is starting to sell UHD Blu-Rays. They started to roll them out around the time Deadpool was released on UHD and then after the Xbox One S released even more stores are getting new release discs. And they're selling them for less than Best Buy or Amazon (usually $25).

Jobbs

Banned
Well, the Xbox One is a great system that has only gotten better. It deserves to do well. Can't wait for Scorpio, which will be my next system that I plan to ride for around 5 years or so.

I've been actually using my XB1 a lot over the past couple of days because of Gears 4 (I've owned it for a long time but rarely use it).

Gears 4 is amazing and, just as an incidental aside, it's cool that we can save video clips to the onedrive (which then shows up in a folder on my PC! wish PS4 had this)

That said, overall, I find the XB1 GUI to be a mess. It's easy to keep PS4 as my go to for multiplats if only for this reason. It's cluttered, confusing, incomprehensible, unintuitive, and, worst of all, laggy and sluggish. It's a nightmare.

ironcreed

Banned
I've been actually using my XB1 a lot over the past couple of days because of Gears 4 (I've owned it for a long time but rarely use it).

Gears 4 is amazing and, just as an incidental aside, it's cool that we can save video clips to the onedrive (which then shows up in a folder on my PC! wish PS4 had this)

That said, overall, I find the XB1 GUI to be a mess. It's easy to keep PS4 as my go to for multiplats if only for this reason. It's cluttered, confusing, incomprehensible, unintuitive, and, worst of all, laggy and sluggish. It's a nightmare.

I never had a problem, but to each their own.

Anyway, I love both systems and am happy enough with my OG PS4 to stick with it until PS5. But the Scorpio seems like more of a real upgrade and I'll be ready for it come 2018. The timing and specs just work out better for me. Plus I do enjoy the services on Xbox a lot more as well.

black070

I was able to pre-order my PS4 Pro pretty easily not long ago and looking at Amazon they're still readily available. Contrast that with the 2TB XB1S that sold out pretty quickly.

If the PS4 Pro was really going to light up the November NPD's, you'd think the pre-orders would be sold out and people would be camping out in front of GameStop for one. Right now I really don't think many normal people know what a PS4 Pro is.

The 2TB XB1S was a limited release, the PS4 Pro is not.

Lucreto

No they'd probably just pick up a $299 Xbox One S instead, which is what's happening now.

Allegedly what is happening now. It's all anecdotal at the moment. Just because it's important on Gaf doesn't mean it's important everywhere.

Bluray failed to really take off like DVD did. I see far more DVDs for sale than Blurays.

leeh

He didn't though.

He says that while the UHD might have helped, he doesn't think it was the #1 reason the XB1S took Sept.
He probably implies that the XB1 crazy deals combined with the $50 price drop of the PS4 only happening on Sept 9th, along with the new PS4S model only releasing mid September were probably more important factors, specially given the differential is (apparently) relatively small.

Hope Aqua can drop us some numbers soon.
Well he should of said that then.

Trup1aya

I doubt it's because of UHD player for the rise in sales. I have yet to see one UHD bluray for sale. There are very few HDR Tvs available especially in Ireland and I see online that the movies can go for €35 each.

It most certainly helped though.

You gotta figure that the features and price point of the Xbox One S made it an attractive purchase for 1) people who want to upgrade their OG xb1, 2) price concious folks who hadn't yet gotten a current gen console 3) ps4 users who want a second console

For any of these people, the UHD drive could have been the push they needed that edged buyers to choose it over the competition.

//DEVIL//

I am going to assume that the xbox one beating the PS4 is for the following anything else

- Xbox one prices are really cheap and many awesome deals compared to the PS4
- anyone who do half research about buying a new console today will know there is a console coming less than 1 month away that is more powerful than both systems so no need to buy the PS4 right now

Come next year when project scorpio is released and ( going to assume its around 400$ to 450$ because by next year what is considered expensive tech today wont be next fall ) and the Xbox one S sales will go down and Scorpio will beat PS4 pro sales as well.

100% sure Nov sales will go towards Sony camp by allot too.

AmuroChan

Allegedly what is happening now. It's all anecdotal at the moment. Just because it's important on Gaf doesn't mean it's important everywhere.

Bluray failed to really take off like DVD did. I see far more DVDs for sale than Blurays.

Physical media for TV/movies is on decline across the board as people continue to migrate to digital. 99% of current 4K content is digital. I don't really see that trend changing.

i know people here care but does the general public really care about UHD blurays? that's one area i think microsoft got wrong. they need to just drop physical medium all together for the scorpio.

Last time they tried to move away from physical they got slaughtered so that wouldn't be all to smart.

c0de

Well, the PS3 sold over 80 millions in total.

Harlock

1. Cool hardware design
2. Small boost in power (put in more equal foot with the PS4)
3. Backward compatibility list growing
4. UHD disc player
5. Gears 4 and Horizon 3

I get that the lack of an UHD drive sucks but do you really want to start buying UHD BR now? I understand the question is stupid but I just can't imagine buying Blu-rays in 2016, let alone a whole new and more expensive format.

But I'm not really into movies that much so everything I watch is streamed.

There are plenty of people who are buying UHD Blu-Ray discs though. I remember reading earlier this year that early UHD Blu-Ray content sales was growing at four times as fast as Blu-Ray when it launched 10 years prior. Of course, that doesn't mean that UHD Blu-Ray sales will continue to track that way with advances in streaming and larger data caps finally starting to roll out, but it shows that many people are still buying physical discs.

For those people, with the Xbox One S being cheaper than a standalone UHD Blu-Ray player, it almost makes it a no brainer of a purchase. As I said, I already know a few people who have done so and have bought games for it as a result of now having an Xbox in their homes.

The "I only stream/no physical media" crowd is a lot smaller than those of us on forums generally think.

bosseye

Good stuff. I've had zero interest in Xbox One so far, but even I've been tempted by a One S. It's been very attractively priced and stuff like Gears and FH3 has me interested - the UHD bluray player is the icing on a very tempting cake.

I may well pick one up in the new year.

EGM1966

Not so much waiting as buying ahead. Pro seems to be selling more than PS4/Slim on Amazon in US/UK for example. Thus what appears to be happening is demand is being split between them with more going to Pro which doesn't show up as actual sales as they're pre-orders.

No one's going to know until Pro launches but there's fair evidence a good chunk of PS4 demand is transferring to it which would contribute to current sales dropping.

As for being out of stock they may just have made enough for once. Again we won't know until we see Pro sales. Current trends with XB Slim pushing it ahead might continue. Pro might immediately pull Sony ahead again. Or it might be somewhere in the middle. US/UK I mean mainly as per thread: rest of world seems to mostly be continuing on established trends prior to XB Slim/PS4 Slim/Pro.

It just takes a few thousand to swing the lead these days. PSVR is a major launch of VR that should bring in some new console owners.
*some* sure.

Anecdotal evidence from stores and from people picking up their units describe people grabbing a headset bundle and that's it...there's even been plenty of stock of the bundles. I don't think I've seen one example of anyone saying they saw people grabbing a headset AND a new PS4.

Obviously like any anecdotal sightings this could prove to be wrong but I really don't think this peripherel is attracting entirely new customers to the PlayStation ecosystem...at least not yet. Maybe once word of mouth gets out there, and certainly maybe for high end customers during the holidays, but by and large I don't think there are many people looking to spend $7-800 on this combination this holiday.

Septic360

Banned
Everybody waiting for pro:p

giphy.gif

witness

Think I'm going to go ahead and trade in my 1tb Xbox One for the 1tb Gears bundle today. Hardware looks greatly improved and it would be nice to be set when I get a 4K TV. Also recently, my Xbox gets really loud for some reason upon initial game boot up which has me concerned if something is wrong.

oti

Banned
The "I only stream/no physical media" crowd is a lot smaller than those of us on forums generally think.

Oh, definitely. The amount of people I see buying DVDs at retail is massive. I'm not a typical media consumer anyway since I don't watch TV, ever. I just don't expect UHD BR to play any significant role in the media landscape. Enthusiasts will buy them and that's fine.

IvorB

So if memory serves me right it was the launch of the PS3 slim that marked a reversal of Sony's fortunes last gen. I wonder if we will see the same thing play out for MS. I prefer both of them to be neck-and-neck and hungry.

Seeing the XBO backward compatibility and my large collection of multiplatform PS3 games, I feel like I made some poor choices.

If I had chose the 360 in the previous gen and built the library and then bought the multiplats on XBO, I might have close to a unified library. As it is, I have a splintered library and it sucks.

My PS4 easily and regularly fills up with retail discs download data. Uncharted 4 was disappointing (in terms of gameplay). Knack and Killzone were boring. The only really awesome exclusive game I've played on PS4 is Until Dawn. I own Bloodborne, but haven't played it yet. Horizon and God of War look cool.

I really think at this moment in the next couple of years Microsoft will have the superior hardware (UHD playback is legit). The two saving graces on the PS4 are the few exclusives that may or may not pan out and the fact that PS4 gets Japanese console titles that XBox does not. Now if NX gets those Japanese console titles, I will have little use for the PS4 apart from exclusives.

November will be an interesting month indeed! For everyone who notes that PS4 Pro is out in November, I'd also like to point out that the U.S. has Black Friday. The Pro may be exciting for enthusiasts like us, but the PS4 Slim and Xbox One S will dominate November sales.

With the 4K Blu-Ray drive the S is the best console on the market for me. Unfortunately I can't justify owning a PS4, gaming PC and the S right now. I definitely would like to get one in the future though.

Maximus P

my Xbox gets really loud for some reason upon initial game boot up which has me concerned if something is wrong.

I had the exact same problem with my day one xbox one. I gave mine a good clean and now it's near silent.

If your out of Warrenty check out some youtube tutorials on how to take the thing apart (it's really easy) . Mine was full of dust on the inside, there was so much that it was blocking just about every vent even though it looked immaculately clean on the outside.

Syrus

Banned
November will be an interesting month indeed! For everyone who notes that PS4 Pro is out in November, I'd also like to point out that the U.S. has Black Friday. The Pro may be exciting for enthusiasts like us, but the PS4 Slim and Xbox One S will dominate November sales.

Pro will be full price but maybe a game for BF but both the slims will be cheap as hell and 1 or more games

rawd

1. Cool hardware design
2. Small boost in power (put in more equal foot with the PS4)
3. Backward compatibility list growing
4. UHD disc player
5. Gears 4 and Horizon 3

COOL HARDWARE DESIGN

Reminds me of a 'gamer' friend of mine who never played any last gen systems and bought a ps3 fat because it looked nice and shiny on his mantle.

e-gamer

I disagree.
People know their smartphone so they easily know their console.

Somnia

Just to be clear Abdiel said the sales were ok in his district, but he saw the One S outsell the PS4 in other districts.

I know personally in the district I work in (part time holiday help now, use to be a training manager years ago) the XB1S is currently outselling the PS4, not by a ton mind you, but it is. The store I'm in has been out of most XB1S bundles other than Minecraft for awhile, but now we're getting more stock in that the free game bundle is over. Gears Elite system sold pretty well too.

The PS4Pro is reserving at a good rate though, about what the Gears Elite did (Gears Elite had 11 at the store I'm at, the pro currently has 5 but with time to go obviously). For PSVR though across all stores in the district we only had 4 PSVR reserves, we did sell every extra PSVR unit though... granted that was only 2-4 per store, but still impressive.

pr0cs

Great news really, competition makes the industry better for us consumers when there are two companies successfully competing for our dollars.
Clearly Microsoft has been working hard on righting the ship since the shit show of the xbone release.
Backwards compat is my favourite feature of this gen
Play anywhere makes digital purchases even better, hopefully they seriously improve the windows store and get some third parties involved with play anywhere
Scorpio sounds like it's a return to form as a "gamer centric console" like the OG xbox and 360

Perhaps the Xbox One S could be a reason that might influence sales on UHD, both influencing each other.

I seriously doubt the Xbox One will have a significant impact on UHD uptake. It's no PS2, and it never will be. It's simply too late into the game for the Xbox One to really be a force of change for entertainment consumers.

I say this as someone considering buying an Xbox One primarily for UHD playback!

AmyS

Well deserved. Xbox One S looks really sweet. I'm tempted to get this version of Xbox One just because it has 4K / Ultra HD Blu-ray, not to mention the slightly faster GPU which would let me play Red Dead Redemption 360 at its very best, not to mention HDR games. I could care less about Halo but Xbox One is home to the latest in the Raiden shmup series.

Incredibly stupid & bad move by Sony to leave out an Ultra HD / 4K Blu-ray player from PS4 Pro. Probably the worst thing they've done so far in the PS4 generation, IMO, for me anyway, and they were doing almost everything right, from early 2013 until some stupid moves this year leading upto the Pro announcement.

October NPD will probably be Microsoft's as well. Sony probably takes November and probably December also. However, it would actually not completely shock me if Microsoft took Oct, Nov and Dec, even though that isn't really likely.
Microsoft will help to keep Sony on their toes, but now we've seen the first real glimpse of the old, arrogant Sony again.

I didn't even say how ugly the PS4 Slim looks. I'm saying all this having been a PS4 owner since launch November 15 2013 and still plan to get Pro for its graphics capabilities.

Well done, Microsoft.

And Scorpio is still just below the horizon. It's not even "dawn" yet, as far as Scorpio is concerned.

Kayant

This is probably untrue bullshit that has been debunked many times but thanks to shitty journalists like Adam Sessler and Ben Kuchera who showed their true colors during the XB1 announcement cycle some people still believe it. smh
Yep it was not true when the PS4 was revealed, it was not true during XB1's drm fiasco.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-playstation-4-does-not-require-an-internet-connection
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...gamer-playstation-4-will-not-block-used-games

Bioshocker

Microsoft deserved all the shit they got for the Xbox One in 2013 and they deserve this comeback now. I hope it'll last. Xbox One S is their best console yet.

The only thing that keeps me from buying the One S is that I know Scorpio is just one year away. I'll wait for that and I suspect a lot of gamers will.

TheMonkeyBongo

Neo Member
COOL HARDWARE DESIGN

Reminds me of a 'gamer' friend of mine who never played any last gen systems and bought a ps3 fat because it looked nice and shiny on his mantle.

Some of us appreciate good product design..... especially with a device that's front and centre in my living room.

Top Bottom