• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One wins 3 consecutive months in NPD for the first time, #1 UK, up YoY

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Let's not forget, TV/Hifi retailers will be trying to attach the Xbox One S to 4K TV sales so they can also add 4K Bluray titles to the sale too.

I know when I used to work at JB Hifi, we always tried to attach the PS3 to our TV sales. It just made sense to.

Yeah I think the most surprising thing to come from all of this is the complete difference people have reacted to the two Slim models. The Xbox's seems to be a big success while the PS4 Slim has been met with a resounding "meh".

The main factor of course has to be the fact the XboxS is an actual improvement over the base model, but still I would have thought the PS4 Slim would move more units than it has.

I think the PS4 S was just executed upon on terribly by Sony. It's largely the same price point as the OG model but with a less appealing title to the mainstream audiences.

OG PS4 + Black Ops 3 is a much better value then what your getting with the Slim.

KyleSmash

Banned
I'm also one of very few people that wishes Microsoft had stuck to their original vision of the Xbox One, it sounded pretty damn cool to me, but then again my consoles are always online, and I'm all digital anyway.

Thank you for that. I thought I was the only one. Personally I think the route they were pushed into by Sony was anti-consumer. With the original plan we could have seen used digital licenses help push digital pricing lower.

Yeah I think the most surprising thing to come from all of this is the complete difference people have reacted to the two Slim models. The Xbox's seems to be a big success while the PS4 Slim has been met with a resounding "meh".

The main factor of course has to be the fact the XboxS is an actual improvement over the base model, but still I would have thought the PS4 Slim would move more units than it has.

Price sensitivities on console purchases are a bigger deal in the Nov/Dec period. I expect that the PS4 Slim will do much better in appealing to gifters in Nov/Dec, while the One S and PS4 Pro will appeal to the core market, which is hilariously price insensitive.

ethomaz

Banned
Makes no sense to buy Slim with Pro being so cheaper.

Pro will be the best selling PS4 in 2017 and it will have supply issues in holiday 2016.

Pro made Slim be obsolete and "meh"...it was obvious when they were reveled.

Sony main seller PS4 will be the Pro model.

gamz

Because it's only appeal is for new users. Nobody is going to upgrade to slim. The X1S did both of those things. Current owners are upgrading. New users are buying, and people who are interested in 4K players are buying. It was a great move by MS and unexpected for sure.

Majine

Banned
I wonder how much the box itself contributes to sales. I mean, the original Xbox One always looked very intimidating (especially with the Kinect) and pricey. The S looks a lot more friendly and cheap.

How could you not buy the thing with all the bundles you could take advantage of? I went from uninterested and ending up getting it for $160. No reason not to.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

PS4 Slim is an ugly, dumbed down version of the PS4.

Bone S is sexy looking, cheap, and has a 4K BD player.

MaulerX

Historically speaking Sony's Slim models are cheap cost cutting measures were as Xbox's Slim models are actual upgrades.

gamz

I wonder how much the box itself contributes to sales. I mean, the original Xbox One always looked very intimidating (especially with the Kinect) and pricey. The S looks a lot more friendly and cheap.

It's the whole package that's appealing.

It feels like Sony wasted their time with the Slim. Not only is it ugly but it's worse than the OG and Xbox One S. You release the Slim in September, loses. You release PSVR this month, expect another lose thanks to VR and Gears. Then you get to November in which the Pro will take the month for Sony but later on I got a feeling the VR will hurt it's potential sales.

Just my take away on how I see it.

We fucking did it Microsoft!

I1QlwV0.gif

Lol, you made my day with that gif

viHuGi

Banned
Makes no sense to buy Slim with Pro being so cheaper.

Pro will be the best selling PS4 in 2017 and it will have supply issues in holiday 2016.

Pro made Slim be obsolete and "meh"...it was obvious when they were reveled.

Lol no it won´t, Pro will sell amazing at first because the Core audience wich buys things on day 1 and spends tons of money will be there, once times pass, more and more casuals will enter the market and Slim will dominate Pro in sales across the Globe because Casual gamers are price sensitive, a mother going into a store is not going to spend more 100e on a Console without any bundle instead of getting one bundled and cheaper.

Montresor

I just find the term - or concept of 'winning NPD' - juvenile.

What have there been, practically 72 months so far this gen? There's been a "X company wins NPD" this whole gen. Have you always felt this way? I'm not inferring anything - I'm just genuinely curious.

Being a big Xbox fan I think it's neat to see Xbox become sort of popular again.

It feels like Sony wasted their time with the Slim. Not only is it ugly but it's worse than the OG and Xbox One S. You release the Slim in September, loses. You release PSVR this month, expect another lose thanks to VR and Gears. Then you get to November in which the Pro will take the month for Sony but later on I got a feeling the VR will hurt it's potential sales.

I don't agree. It's just a cheaper to manufacture model replacing the current sku. I don't think they expected it to sell like gangbusters with the pro release.

OCD Guy

Thank you for that. I thought I was the only one. Personally I think the route they were pushed into by Sony was anti-consumer. With the original plan we could have seen used digital licenses help push digital pricing lower.

Yeah totally. The fact that discs would have been glorified installation keys for digital downloads would have meant we had the benefits of digital with the benefits of retail pricing. Also what they proposed with digital games was actually more consumer friendly than what we have now.

I also find it laughable that people were so against the apparent 24 hour checks, todays consoles are pretty much paper weights without online connections, and the best selling games today are based around their online game modes, FUT in fifa and Team Deathmatch in COD, GTA online are three of the biggest selling games ever so people obviously don't mind their consoles being online lol.

Sony is anything but pro-consumer with their customer service, suddenly charging for online, reducing the quality of free games with ps plus, not letting customers have access to EA Access etc.

Curufinwe

Apart from losing optical out the PS4 Slim is a big improvement

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-the-playstation-4-slim-cuh-2000

mejin

People really should look at the numbers more than just who wins a month. The gap Xbox One has closed during these three months is something like 150-200k. PS4 will make up for that (and more) with single month when PS4 Pro launches in November. As a whole this year will be another year when the gap between PS4 and Xbox One widens even in US.

Yep.

Elios83

The thing is releasing 3 pieces of HW back to back something was bound to not do as well.

I don't think the PSVR is going to have any significant impact, it is an expensive add on targeting essentially the high tech consumer that is going to sell in the hundred of thousands units.
The problem is that Sony put the Slim in a bad value proposition right now because on one side core gamers are waiting for the Pro, while on the other people who want a cheap system are waiting for the holiday season deals.
Sony's startegy will bear fruits in November when they'll get a huge launch with Pro coupled with strong sales of the Slim thanks to more appealing bundles and prices.
Until then sales will be muted in my opinion, of course if you can consider muted sales that are really close to the XB1 anyway.

Curufinwe

Yeah totally. The fact that discs would have been glorified installation keys for digital downloads would have meant we had the benefits of digital with the benefits of retail pricing. Also what they proposed with digital games was actually more consumer friendly than what we have now.

I also find it laughable that people were so against the apparent 24 hour checks, todays consoles are pretty much paper weights without online connections, and the best selling games today are based around their online game modes, FUT in fifa and Team Deathmatch in COD, GTA online are three of the biggest selling games ever.

Sony is anything but pro-consumer with their customer service, suddenly charging for online, reducing the quality of free games with ps plus, not letting customers have access to EA Access etc.

Prices would not have gone down by allowing MS to kill the used games market. That's not how economics works.

spwolf

I think the PS4 S was just executed upon on terribly by Sony. It's largely the same price point as the OG model but with a less appealing title to the mainstream audiences.

OG PS4 + Black Ops 3 is a much better value then what your getting with the Slim.

Well, here in Eastern Europe, they sell PS4 Slim 1tb + Fifa at 10% less than they sold previous PS4 OG.

So, price is definitely much nicer now, especially in these smaller countries where there are no large retailers that drop the price (like in US and UK).

GametimeUK

I can be quite a huge Sony supporter and they are 100% my favourite out of the big 3, but I have to say they are throwing away all the goodwill they had built with me since 2010 after destroying their image in 2006. Seriously, I am very disappointed in everything they are doing right now and on the flipside you have Microsoft who are absolutely killing it. Awesome Slim console, Forza and Gears, Elite Controllers, Backwards Compatability (that can improve games), Play Anywhere, Xbox Scorpio hype, the fact every game on their schedule doesn't get pushed back like Sony...

I think Microsoft have the hot console to buy at the moment. Their recent games have been stellar and their services and functionality blow Sony out of the water. These sales are very well deserved and this is from a very pro Sony person.

Morts

Anecdotal but I know of 5 Co workers that bought the one S simply for the 4k bluray player. Such a dumb move by Sony not putting that into the slim or pro

Yep. I just unexpectedly got a 4k TV. Replacing my PS4 with a Pro would've been a no brainer if it had a UHD Player but now I might end up with an S.

Guymelef

People really should look at the numbers more than just who wins a month. The gap Xbox One has closed during these three months is something like 150-200k. PS4 will make up for that (and more) with single month when PS4 Pro launches in November. As a whole this year will be another year when the gap between PS4 and Xbox One widens even in US.

Numbers doesn't care here, only position.
You can look at UK charts where if a game is top 10 is a "success" even if that means 10 sales.

Huh? How is business juvenile?

Say sold the most or something, that's all I'm saying. Again, just my opinion. Call it a pet peeve.

What have there been, practically 72 months so far this gen? There's been a "X company wins NPD" this whole gen. Have you always felt this way? I'm not inferring anything - I'm just genuinely curious.

Being a big Xbox fan I think it's neat to see Xbox become sort of popular again.

Yes, I have. And I have no problem with Xbox doing well. I've never owned an xbox or playstation console in my life, so I'm a 'neutral' as far as this particular battle is concerned. I don't mean to take the conversation away from the main topic, so sorry for that.

ethomaz

Banned
Lol no it won´t, Pro will sell amazing at first because the Core audience wich buys things on day 1 and spends tons of money will be there, once times pass, more and more casuals will enter the market and Slim will dominate Pro in sales across the Globe because Casual gamers are price sensitive, a mother going into a store is not going to spend more 100e on a Console without any bundle instead of getting one bundled and cheaper.
Wait and see...

With $50 more you get the Pro.

Slim will be dead before Pro releases... BTW most actual sales are OG PS4 deals.

I think MS will also win October. That said, I just handed Sony moolah for my PSVR so I'm still putting food on their table and I'd have otherwise got Gears 4 this month. Next month we'll see Sony sales pick up again with the pro. Great for us though, a stronger MS.

OCD Guy

Prices would not have gone down by allowing MS to kill the used games market. That's not how economics works.

I was referring to new games, from a retailers point of view whether the sealed game box contained a disc, or cd key on a scratch card they would still have gone through the same pricing changes we see today. I don't believe pricing changes are simply down to used games, because many retailers sell physical games cheaper even if they don't sell used games.

Also I think developers and publishers would be ok if used games weren't a thing. The used market is the biggest money maker for the likes of Game Stop and Game etc.

If we look at Amazon etc and they were selling Xbox One games under Microsofts original vision we would be in a position where we have the benefits of digital and the price drops of retail.

The used market doesn't really effect the likes of supermarkets in the UK who have no used market at all, yet ironically sell games cheaper than the likes of dedicated game stores who do sell used games. So I would disagree with you insinuating that the only reason we see price drops is because of the used market.

Montresor

One other thing I find really interesting - when Microsoft announced the S and Scorpio, people scoffed at the idea of announcing two consoles at once, stating S sales would be killed by the news of Scorpio.

Surprise, surprise, the S is selling very well.

Meanwhile, Sony announces the Slim and the Pro at the same time, and I didn't see people scoff at the idea of announcing both those consoles.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom